/reference command for Op+

Gasy_Europeon

SURVIIIIVVVVVVOOOOOOORRRRRR
Reaction score
How about instead of telling players, "Add me as a reference"
You could just use a /reference command!
I do not know if this is possible to code, but here is an example for it.

So basically, it would look like this.
gassy_europeon just used /reference player1

Player1 would get a message like this:
[Op] gassy_europeon has referenced you.

Then, maybe the player forgets his references?!?!!

They could type:
/references
You currently have 2 references:
[Op] gassy_europeon, [Op] nottycat

And, if the player would be promoted to [Trusted]
All of their references would be removed.

If you have any ideas for this, feel free to tell them. :)

DarthLego5679

That n00b.
Reaction score
Website
store.steampowered.com
How about instead of telling players, "Add me as a reference"
You could just use a /reference command!
I do not know if this is possible to code, but here is an example for it.

So basically, it would look like this.
gassy_europeon just used /reference player1

Player1 would get a message like this:
[Op] gassy_europeon has referenced you.

Then, maybe the player forgets his references?!?!!

They could type:
/references
You currently have 2 references:
[Op] gassy_europeon, [Op] nottycat

And, if the player would be promoted to [Trusted]
All of their references would be removed.

If you have any ideas for this, feel free to tell them. :)
I...disagree with this. If you can't keep track of your references, you don't really care enough about helping out to apply for Trusted.(In my opinion)

Also, what if they wanted to revoke their reference? How would that work?

Gasy_Europeon

Reaction score
I...disagree with this. If you can't keep track of your references, you don't really care enough about helping out to apply for Trusted.(In my opinion)

If they wanted to revoke:
/unreference player1
Player1 would get the message:
You have been un-referenced by [Op] gassy_europeon
And, doesn't anyone forget something in their lives? If this player is really helpful around the server, and quite mature and active, he could forget one of his references. Doesn't mean he doesn't care enough about helping out to apply for Trusted. {In my opinion}

ethical1337

Don't choose the easy path just because its easy
Reaction score

People have such a negative outlook on others. Like gassy said everyone can forget something once in a while. Maybe a large gap in time between getting another reference and your last. it does take 5 and this could happen.

On the other hand I also feel if it does take that long to get the references then maybe they Should be waiting a bit for trusted. Though this would make the process a bit more official feeling.

DarthLego5679

That n00b.
Reaction score
Website
store.steampowered.com
It seems to me to be a command just for the sake of automation. It'd just be one more command to explain, and then you'd have people begging even more. "I have 0 references!!!!!!!!:(" "Gasy, type /reference <playername> pl0z"

It's a command that'll do more harm than good. You don't filter swearing on the server either, even though some people disagree with it and would like it if it were not allowed.

However, you guys don't go "Oh, okay, we'll make a command for you so you can filter swears!"
It's "Tough, deal with it; it's allowed in moderation, and if you don't like it, don't play."(And yes, I know it's allowed in moderation, not getting into allow/disallow it).
So, if you don't coddle the players with that, why with this?

All I can say is; when I reference people, I either PM them on the server with @<name> <message>, or preferably on the forums in a PM. And I still stand by my opinion that this is not reasonable.

{Edit} To further clarify, it looks like this:

No swearing command said:
"I wish there was a command to filter swearing!"
References command said:
"I wish there was a command to keep track of my references for me!"
Want to remember your references? Jot them down, or PM the people and save the PMs.

Gasy_Europeon

Reaction score
It seems to me to be a command just for the sake of automation. It'd just be one more command to explain, and then you'd have people begging even more. "I have 0 references!!!!!!!!:(" "Gasy, type /reference <playername> pl0z"

It's a command that'll do more harm than good. You don't filter swearing on the server either, even though some people disagree with it and would like it if it were not allowed.

However, you guys don't go "Oh, okay, we'll make a command for you so you can filter swears!"
It's "Tough, deal with it; it's allowed in moderation, and if you don't like it, don't play."(And yes, I know it's allowed in moderation, not getting into allow/disallow it).
So, if you don't coddle the players with that, why with this?

All I can say is; when I reference people, I either PM them on the server with @<name> <message>, or preferably on the forums in a PM. And I still stand by my opinion that this is not reasonable.

{Edit} To further clarify, it looks like this:

Want to remember your references? Jot them down, or PM the people and save the PMs.
First of all, they first need to know the command even exists.
And with the swearing part. We do mute people who excessively swear/or insult someone. And we do BAN people for really inappropriate language, and or excessive swearing. Swearing is not something to be filtered, almost everyone swears sometimes in their lives.

DarthLego5679

That n00b.
Reaction score
Website
store.steampowered.com
First of all, they first need to know the command even exists.
And with the swearing part. We do mute people who excessively swear/or insult someone. And we do BAN people for really inappropriate language, and or excessive swearing. Swearing is not something to be filtered, almost everyone swears sometimes in their lives.
Congratulations, you completely missed the point of that example.

I'm not talking about it being disallowed. That was purely an example to show you how it appears to me.
Both commands could make life easier for people, why not add them both? Because they really don't add much.

They'd both be useful on occasion, (e.g, when someone doesn't want to see people swearing at all, they'd just type /filter and it filters the chat for them, like /killinfo on TNT), or in the case you mentioned(Someone with potential forgot their references, they'd have the /references command to check).

But still, it just appears to me to try to over-compensate for events. People have some form of word processor they could write them down on(Or even piece of paper and a writing instrument) it's just not needed.

L

Later_Gator

I'm curious. Has there ever been an instance when a player forgot who referenced them? Personally, I haven't experienced such an instance. This command would be very convenient, but why add a command for something that players don't experience (if any) problems with?

As DarthLego said, there are other mediums they can easily use to keep track of their references if needed.

Gasy_Europeon

Reaction score
I like the idea :) I think it should be a private message to the player who the reference has been given to.
Nice idea. :D
So maybe, it would look kinda like this:
[Op] gassy_europeon: /reference player1
PM To player1:
[>] You have recieved a reference from gassy_europeon.
{Correct me if I'm wrong though} :p

• Dislike
Reactions: DarthLego5679

ethical1337

Don't choose the easy path just because its easy
Reaction score
Kattzen Would you reference me?
Jayfeather21 Sure.
*Opens Sticky Note*
1.) Kattzen

Also, this would most likely cause a spacial time rift where Ops are finding players to Reference instead of the other way around.
Well ops should have their eyes on players anyway. We should know who we think would be a good trusted in our minds.

Theodorre

The Fail Chipmunk
Reaction score
I really like this idea! ;)

I think it would be extremely helpful, and

At first I thought this ^ but then I realised that now some of the servers have 5 OP+ references, it would be a big help, and kill all chances of forgetting your references. 5 is quite a big number, especially remembering the names (like if they have numbers at the end)

. Also, having this command would help stop accidental references, where (because of misunderstanding) the player thinks that the Operator has referenced them, when they haven't, (E.g: Like someone asks for a reference, the OP says they will watch them, then the player believes he/she has already been referenced.)

But, that's my view :)

EDIT: And maybe a C+ (I don't know) could have a special command to check if a player has any references, and who from.

Maybe like this:
Controller/Head Controller: /checkrefs player1

• Disagree

Razinao

:_;
Reaction score
We all hate those horrible automatic answering machines, so why are you going to put them on Zombie Survival? How alienating is it to someone that their future on Blocktopia is artificially introduced, coldly, and not actually warmly welcomed by hot-blooded creatures that we all are? Very.

Don't alienate future, potential people. You have words, emotion, so use them and don't turn Zombie into an AI construct.

Plus: It helps that HCs know who they are letting trusted be. Thats why they are communicated the fact that someone is going to get promoted to a stepping stone staff rank and the system isn't done automatically.

Theodorre

The Fail Chipmunk
Reaction score
We all hate those horrible automatic answering machines, so why are you going to put them on Zombie Survival? How alienating is it to someone that their future on Blocktopia is artificially introduced, coldly, and not actually warmly welcomed by hot-blooded creatures that we all are? Very.

Don't alienate future, potential people. You have words, emotion, so use them and don't turn Zombie into an AI construct.

Plus: It helps that HCs know who they are letting trusted be. Thats why they are communicated the fact that someone is going to get promoted to a stepping stone staff rank and the system isn't done automatically.
I think what Gassy meant by this idea, is that it'd be more of securing your reference. In my view, I thought it would be more like this:

Player1: Hello Operator, could you please reference me for trusted?
Operator: Sure!
Operator: /reference player1

Like, so the HC's can quickly and simply check to see if they have referenced them, instead of going thru each Operator and asking "Has such and such referenced you?"

Then again, it might not have been what I thought, and I'm just rambling on...

Vatumok

Former CA
Reaction score
theodorre, normally it's not necessary to check someone's references. If he/she lied about them that will get clear later and he/she will be instantely demoted. I only feel the need to check references if I really don't think they could've referenced him/her, and then it's pretty much always obvious they did not.

The idea itself is not bad, but there's just not a good enough reason to add it. It would only make it more complicated.

• Agree

Kloud_Strife

TNT Drama Queen
Reaction score
How about the /references command would not be added?. And instead we would have only the /reference [player name] command. :)
I hate to intervene whe nthis is pretty much wrapped up, but I'm just going to say: Why would that be needed at all, then? It's done to save time or whatever, correct? In that incarnation, without being able to check what your references are, it would actually be faster to pm them (/pm (name) or @(name) or whatever it is on zombie is a lot shorter than /reference.

• Agree