Pop up News:Rankism

Awwwyea

Ghast Hunter
Reaction score
When I was a crafter you builders+ let me in, why not others? :O
I do see this as a problem as well. The builders+ pushing the guests out are being mildly judgemental because they're basing a guest off of their newness to the server.

Yes, granted that some people will go "ROFLCOPTER IMA MAKE THIS KITTY DANCE FLOOD GRIEF GRIEF FLOOD FLOOD."
Most others won't. I would guess that what happened, is the higher ranks before the ones before you guys are, would push you out, when you were a guest or a crafter and make you leave. Then when you became their rank you followed in their steps. Which brings me to firmly believe that most higher ranks have forgotten this: You were a guest or a crafter once too. Why not help a guy out?

I'm not this term "rankist", I've built houses and have seen 4-10 guests/crafters live in it in moderately good harmony.

The moral of this thread should be this: "Gather some information on the user, see if he's friendly, and decide if you wanna help a fellow player out."

It would definitely improve their morale too, if they're denied, they'd want to refind you and try to seek revenge most likely. If you let them stay, it's more likely they'll be more friendly. :3

Reaction score
It's common for us to judge guests.

And them to judge us. Depending on whether or not we rank them/give them cookies/let them wander wherever they want (specifically the giant adminium build)/that we are boring because the rounds are too long for their patience.

Vino

Fidget Spinner
Reaction score
Just gonna put my two cents in...

Just because someone is builder+ doesn't mean they won't have that small temptation to poke a hole in the house. There have been plenty of incidents where Builder+ were banned and i believe one where a master was banned.

Anyway, some of the posts above pretty much cover everything else i would want to say.

Gameprochampion

Got the moves like Jagger!
Reaction score
Alright, Rankism in my opinion, is horrible(That is the only way I can think to describe it). You shouldn't judge a rank, just because someone in the past who had the same rank, broke our /rules. Everyone is different, and that also means, different people will behave differently in Minecraft.
For instance, some Guest might come on, and break all our /rules (Grief, beg for cookies etc) But that is no reason to believe, the next Guest that logs on will do the same. Judge, someone through your own personal experiences. There will be guests, who sit down and read thoroughly through our /rules, before they do anything at all, to make sure they aren't disobeying the rules. And their are others, who will log on, and read the /Rules just to know how to break them.

I understand, how some people, do not want to allow, Guests inside their homes, because, they will modify blocks, and just be a nuisance, but that is no reason, to allow someone who is willing to help and, shows himself as trustworthy, be not allowed into your house. Treat a Guest, as you would treat a Master. They are both Player Ranks. Just because someone has a higher rank, does not mean they might not grief, and they might not disobey the /Rules.

This has actually happened to me before, and it felt horrible. I was(and still am) an AdvBuilder, and I was basically pushed out of my own house, by some masters, saying they know more than me, and that I shouldn't help.

For the people who this is happening to, and you really feel bad, feel free to talk to an Op, or someone, and it might be taken care of.
For the people who do it, please stop. It makes people feel left out, and lonely.

I feel silly having to say this to such a community, as Blocktopia, where everyone is mature, and nice, and kind.

But please try your best not to do this. In some cases its acceptable, in others it is not.
Try to judge people on past experiences, not by a rank.

Thanks for your time
-Gameprochampion

copycat16

the lava god follower
Reaction score
i agree with most of the comments above, and for some time i have become i bit annoyed and sometimes mad by this rankism because i feel this kinda of treatment to guests and crafters are just pushing potential future players or even staff members away from our community and taking the fun away to this players, if their is any problems with any player remember we ops are their to help.

Ahiya

Reaction score
Yes, always judge by the content of their character, not by their rank. Don't be a rankist!

gettinthere

Reaction score
You can't change everyone's opinions.

Builder+ feel that most guests are there to ruin the place, by adding or removing blocks. Rankism/Lick Ass is quite large at many servers. There isn't much most of us can do because we can't enforce it since people will do Rankism behind the staff.

Nikonchapel

Reaction score
Website
www.triond.com
Can I just say, the guest who said that to you was nikons alt.
and now everyone looks at me like i'm the bad guy :D

when I made that alt, I was interested in seeing if I could put in time and effort, to get another blue name. Eh I kind of gave up early on that goal, but I was also interested in seeing how people who respected me with the blue name, would treat me with a gray name. You can call it Field Research, but when the result of field research is a forum thread that attracts attention and controversy, im starting to wonder whether that kind of research is really worth it.

Thalassa can I rely on you, to at-least keep the name of the alt secret from the general public?, I want to have some more fun :p

Ahiya

Reaction score
When I was a crafter you builders+ let me in, why not others? :O
I do see this as a problem as well. The builders+ pushing the guests out are being mildly judgemental because they're basing a guest off of their newness to the server.

Yes, granted that some people will go "ROFLCOPTER IMA MAKE THIS KITTY DANCE FLOOD GRIEF GRIEF FLOOD FLOOD."
Most others won't. I would guess that what happened, is the higher ranks before the ones before you guys are, would push you out, when you were a guest or a crafter and make you leave. Then when you became their rank you followed in their steps. Which brings me to firmly believe that most higher ranks have forgotten this: You were a guest or a crafter once too. Why not help a guy out?

I'm not this term "rankist", I've built houses and have seen 4-10 guests/crafters live in it in moderately good harmony.

The moral of this thread should be this: "Gather some information on the user, see if he's friendly, and decide if you wanna help a fellow player out."

It would definitely improve their morale too, if they're denied, they'd want to refind you and try to seek revenge most likely. If you let them stay, it's more likely they'll be more friendly. :3
Your moral is a better explained version of my moral like i said earlier: See first, then judge

Nato-Potato

The man in green
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I think that most people are not trying to be mean, they're just being cautious, because they've learned from experience.
The guest rank is pretty much the 'see if theyre not a griefer' stage. :/
It is unforunate for good guests, because they have to put up with the stereotype.
But if other players see a certain guest enough in game, then they'll trust them and let them in.
I think most players aren't excluding all guests, just guests they dont know (which just happens to be most of them :/).
If a player has a higher rank then it basically means they have a much lower chance of being a griefer so that makes people feel safer around them.

That said I still get annoyed when players refuse to let other people stay in their house after lava has flooded, its not like they can go build a house now.
As long as they're not modifying or griefing just let them stay, if they do modify or grief call staff, its simple.
Players who keep whining about people in their house just look stingy to me.
But since he who makes the house makes the rules staff have to either tp the player somewhere else or warn them if they refuse to leave, which is really annoying if they're not actually doing anything wrong.

Reactions: Brando212

Brando212

Reaction score
That said I still get annoyed when players refuse to let other people stay in their house after lava has flooded, its not like they can go build a house now.
As long as they're not modifying or griefing just let them stay, if they do modify or grief call staff, its simple.
But since he who makes the house makes the rules staff have to either tp the player somewhere else or warn them if they refuse to leave, which is really annoying if they're not actually doing anything wrong.
I completely agree with you on this Nato

Ahiya

Reaction score
I think that most people are not trying to be mean, they're just being cautious, because they've learned from experience.
The guest rank is pretty much the 'see if theyre not a griefer' stage. :/
It is unforunate for good guests, because they have to put up with the stereotype.
But if other players see a certain guest enough in game, then they'll trust them and let them in.
I think most players aren't excluding all guests, just guests they dont know (which just happens to be most of them :/).
If a player has a higher rank then it basically means they have a much lower chance of being a griefer so that makes people feel safer around them.

I agree too, at first i was always wanting guests and crafters to get out of my house, but now i dont mind because i want to look first, then judge.

DarthLego5679

That n00b.
Reaction score
Website
store.steampowered.com
I'll send them away if they just barge in without asking, because I don't like that. Once when I asked someone to get out, they called me racist. Poor Marn was all alone then.
You come barging in and don't ask, I'll ask you to leave. Unless I happen to see you wandering without a house and the lava's started, and I invite you in. Then you don't need to ask.

Thalassa

Reaction score
and now everyone looks at me like i'm the bad guy :D

when I made that alt, I was interested in seeing if I could put in time and effort, to get another blue name. Eh I kind of gave up early on that goal, but I was also interested in seeing how people who respected me with the blue name, would treat me with a gray name. You can call it Field Research, but when the result of field research is a forum thread that attracts attention and controversy, im starting to wonder whether that kind of research is really worth it.

Thalassa can I rely on you, to at-least keep the name of the alt secret from the general public?, I want to have some more fun :p
Oh, I'm not saying it as a bad thing, I just wanted Ahiya to be aware that the person who did say that does have experience on the server and is aware of the problems, most guests would understand that they're new to the server and they're not going to have a bunch of friends right away. No worries :)

peckypeck903

Reaction score
Well mostly I will be fine was people that:
1. Are a crafter+ or close to getting crafter (since crafters fairly easy to get and adds a bit more trust to a player.)
2. They talk nicely, some people might just barge into my house, if they can tell me and ask to stay and build I will see if there's more space.
3. Listens and replies to you, so they understand what you want.
4. Be nice XD

I've made a lot of friends that started with either guest or crafter, so if a person that can be trusted it should be fine.

Ps. It'll be even more fine if there was a op on too XD