[POLL] EscapeRestart, and Expansion

What game do you believe would help us "Build Up"?

• Total voters

Hex

Keyboard & Tech Content Creator
Donor
Reaction score
Website
hexical.me
  • Introduction

Hello all! I'm here today to discuss EscapeRestart, and its progress into expanding into other games. I would like to say this will be a lengthy post, so I will leave a TL;DR at the bottom (but I highly recommend checking out the whole post). I also apologize if this is somewhat messy, as it is 2 AM.

Expansion is a hard thing to do, but everyone seems to have some mentality of that it's either;
a.) impossible
b.) not worth it.
Well, I'd like to talk about that, and go through some points and ideas that could possibly help us expand much easier into other games.

• Previous Attempts

EscapeRestart, formerly known as Blocktopia, underwent a big overhaul, and one of the main points of this overhaul was to expand further than Minecraft, and gather a larger community. We've successfully expanded into GarrysMod, with Infected_alien8_ making an amazing TTT server. I remember back when it was first starting, I even talked to Malcovent about merging my DarkRP server with EscapeRestart, but I left the community shortly after, as I got busy with life. I also heard we tried out Terraria (Event Server), and Starbound, which didn't turn out so well. I'd like to detail as to why I think the TTT server is still going strong today, but the other two attempts seemed to have failed.
  1. Terraria & Starbound have a considerably less playercount that garrysmod
  2. Terraria & Starbound, though amazing games, are somewhat complex in general, and can be confusing for players.
  3. Terraria & Starbound were only wanted by this community, which is good, but if we're looking to expand and futher gain more players, we should try and find things that a lot of people play, to attract more and new players.
  4. Terraria & Starbound don't have server browsers, so it can be generally hard to find a server, unless you look online.
  5. Terraria & Starbound are very hard to make "unique" servers. They don't offer many plugins (modifications for servers) and they aren't very developer friendly (if someone wanted to make a custom plugin)
I think we can all agree that even if these two are amazing games, they are a hard way to get ourselves out there, and gather new players. These games should be for when we have a bigger player base that could keep these servers afloat.

I'd also like to put here how I dislike the "event" approach. Events are great if were looking for servers old players enjoy, but if we want to become a gaming community, we have to be daring, and try out new servers to pull in new players. Events would be great for when we have a larger player base, but for now when events are hosted, they usually fizzle out since we like to think that if no one here wants it, then nobody else does.

I also know about an attempt at expanding into a CS:GO gamemode by superstein (here: http://escaperestart.com/forum/forums/counter-strike-global-offensive-jailbreak.322/)
This, is a great example of expanding into a game that has a large playerbase, as it offers a server browser, and has a large community, and Jailbreak is a big gamemode in CS:GO. Though it fell through since super ran into problems, it was a good effort into expanding into a game that could pull in new players, and get us a larger community in whole.

You can say the exact same thing with TTT, which is another great example. Garrysmod is a huge game, easy to pickup and learn, has a server browser that allows players, has tons of ways to make a server unique, and allows devs easy access to hook into the game and create their own content.

Now that I've given points out about these attempts at the server, I'd like to say that I believe we should build up before we build out. If we want to have a chance at expanding into more obscure games, we should first work on expanding into games that already have a major player base and following, so then we have players that would be willing to try out the smaller games.

• Donations
We are somewhat struggling with donations, and with this being a donation ran community, that is never a good thing. Expanding into games may cost us a little more money, but it could also help us outreach further into players that are willing to donate. Two good examples of games that could help would be Garrysmod, or CS:GO. We could offer cosmetics for donations like Infected_alien8_ has for his TTT server, and it could greatly improve our donation income. DarkRP, PropHunt, and Deathrun for Garrysmod are great places to collect stuff like these, especially since cosmetics in that game are very customizable, and a lot of players are willing to throw $5 or $10 for those. Exactly the same for CS:GO. We could also possibly add something like that in Minecraft, as there's plugins that are available for stuff like that, but thats for another thread.

• What Can We Do?
I think the first action of plan should be finding people willing to build into bigger games. I will list some good games here:

1. Garrysmod (DarkRP, PropHunt, Deathrun, etc.)
  2. CS:GO (Offers lots of cool gamemodes)
  3. Rust (Survival Based Game)
  4. Modded Minecraft? (Though MC still, it has a big player base that differs from ours)
  5. TF2 (F2P, Cool Gamemodes, though somewhat smaller)
These games are really good games to build up into, to further our community. We'd of course, have to find people willing to run these servers. With how small our active community is, it may be hard to find people right now, but if we expand into games where we can, we could possibly pull devs for other games that would be willing to help us out in the future.

We need to put ourselves out there, and get out of the mentality that we can't further expand into other games. We have to be daring, try out new things, not just sit around and say "that won't work". If we push and push, something is sure to happen, even if we fail the first couple of times. The idea is to keep trying until we literally can't anymore, because thats 100x better than sitting around.

Advertising, Advertising, Advertising! Advertising needs to happen. We need to plaster it all over that we are introducing new servers to find new players, but not just here. Look into places that support advertisements for that game, reach not only into our player base, but into theirs. When we introduce a new server, its only put onto our forums, which isn't a bad idea, but if we went onto that games specific advertisement places, we would most likely gather more players than just advertising here. Advertising Team (including myself) are really busy with Minecraft, but I'm sure I could whip some things up for new things, and possibly others could help me a little on the way.

• Conclusion
We promised players an overhaul, with attempts for expansion, and even though we've somewhat tried, I really don't believe we've tried hard enough, and thats a disappointment to me, and possibly even other players. I even met an old player on the Temp SMP that seemed to be very unhappy, saying that we should at least attempt it, even if its risky, which is honestly one of the reason I'm writing this thread. I do understand there's a lot of variables, and bumps in the roads, but if we don't keep pushing forward, all we will do is stay where we are.

I'm also fully willing to run a DarkRP or PropHunt server for garrysmod. I can be the dev for it, and make sure everything runs smoothly. I managed a DarkRP server for almost 2 years (alongside a smaller PropHunt server), and I thoroughly enjoyed it all, and I met a lot of people that would possibly be willing to join back if I started up another DarkRP server. I would easily hit 30-40 players almost everyday at my peak. I am fluent in gLua (Garrysmod Lua), and can make a server pretty unique. I also have a staff team that would be willing to assist me in all of this. If this isn't possible for whatever reason, I would even be willing to run a Rust server, as I helped manage one for about 3 months, though it wasn't nearly as popular.

I apologize for the 1,000 word essay, but I really do want to see EscapeRestart grow, its an absolutely amazing community, and I have loved being part of it since I joined back in 2013, when it was called Blocktopia. I would love to share this community with others, because it's an absolutely amazing experience to have a sense of such a big and strong community.

I'm leaving a poll on this, but instead of you telling me what you want, I'd like to know what you believe what game would bring in more players.

With that, here's a (kinda) TL;DR:

We need to build up into larger games, before we push out toward lesser games. We need to stop being passive about it, and try to aggressively get into new games. Advertise everywhere, have people that are excited to help out staff these servers. Drop events, and start looking for games where we can find new players in, not ones just our community is interested in.

Hex

Donor
Reaction score
Website
hexical.me
League is a good game, but it really doesnt offer anything to make servers unique, and since its such a large game, it would be very hard to establish a server and have it actually be popular when you cant use plugins and other forms to make it unique.

(Correct me if im wrong about this, i dont know that much about league, only skimmed through it)

I dont think it would be a good server to expand our community either, League has been mentioned in lots of other threads that were somewhat like this, but they were always asking our community what they want. Though of course it never hurts to try it out.

Edit: im at school so i had to wait a minute to add this, but i also believe league would be hard to gather donations from, and i think we should seriously consider that too.

Last edited:

Jayfeather

Gay Magician
Donor
Reaction score
League is a good game, but it really doesnt offer anything to make servers unique, and since its such a large game, it would be very hard to establish a server and have it actually be popular when you cant use plugins and other forms to make it unique.

(Correct me if im wrong about this, i dont know that much about league, only skimmed through it)

I dont think it would be a good server to expand our community either, League has been mentioned in lots of other threads that were somewhat like this, but they were always asking our community what they want. Though of course it never hurts to try it out.

Edit: im at school so i had to wait a minute to add this, but i also believe league would be hard to gather donations from, and i think we should seriously consider that too.
It's impossible for the very simple reason that you don't host a server in League. There are Runescape esque clubs but the only community that brings is a little nametag and a permanent chat room between members. As to your idea as a whole, it's probably best to just let the admins lead because this particular argument has been exhausted over the years but I more or less think you have the "better" idea if it means anything

EDIT: also, the actual game we expand to doesn't have any relevance to the individuals' ability to contribute to donations

Hex

Donor
Reaction score
Website
hexical.me
It's impossible for the very simple reason that you don't host a server in League. There are Runescape esque clubs but the only community that brings is a little nametag and a permanent chat room between members. As to your idea as a whole, it's probably best to just let the admins lead because this particular argument has been exhausted over the years but I more or less think you have the "better" idea if it means anything

EDIT: also, the actual game we expand to doesn't have any relevance to the individuals' ability to contribute to donations
How has this been exhausted when we havent even tried it? theres been threads, but nothing to this scale (i looked through discussions before i even posted this).

I may be reading your reply wrong, but saying that a moderator shouldnt take action just becaus its exhausted, and just to leave it to admins, is the exact mentality im talking about. We need people to push hard for this. We shouldnt be sitting around and waiting for admins to do it, espicially since if no one pushes for it, how do they know if we want to expand?

Also, what i mean by donations is that what does league have to offer for donators? gmod or csgo you can give out cosmetics, hats, playermodels, trails, etc, stuff that isn't P2W of course, because we are against that. League (afaik) doesnt offer stuff like that. If we want more donations, we should give reasons to, even having small cosmetic options will encourage donating. I didnt mean that players couldnt donate. Extending into a game that offers an incentive to donate will (most likely) bring us in more donators.

Last edited:

Hex

Donor
Reaction score
Website
hexical.me
GMod is basically the only way to go, in my opinion. Of course, it would be even better to find a new game. I think people are really getting sick of Minecraft, but maybe it's just me.
Agreed, many are sick of Minecraft, even if we have people who arent we should look into expansion, not only for new players, but possibly even old players who have grew out of Minecraft

Reactions: Duffie and Fragile

Vatumok

Former CA
Reaction score
I don't think Minecraft is necessarily a dead end, the current setup we have probably is though. SMP and maybe new server ideas could bring interest back, right now RoF and AoD start to become a bit outdated. For now if we want to grow out we should look at the possibilities, and I trust Hexical to set up a good GMod server so we probably should focus on that. The other games are probably harder to set up servers and get a playerbase but if anyone has a plan I´m open to it.

• Love
Reactions: Duffie and Hex

Fireballjoe

Reaction score
I agree with Hexical and "expanding our borders". I have a game suggestion. Unturned: A zombie apocalypse game(free to play) its like dayz but more "kid" friendly. Its a ok game.

Hex

Donor
Reaction score
Website
hexical.me
I don't think Minecraft is necessarily a dead end, the current setup we have probably is though. SMP and maybe new server ideas could bring interest back, right now RoF and AoD start to become a bit outdated. For now if we want to grow out we should look at the possibilities, and I trust Hexical to set up a good GMod server so we probably should focus on that. The other games are probably harder to set up servers and get a playerbase but if anyone has a plan I´m open to it.
MC is for sure still alive and well, I enjoy the servers we have, and SMP is most likely gonna be a huge hit with everybody. MC is far from dead, and our servers have room for more expansion to gather a bigger player base within MC. I do think expanding upon new games and getting new players would help tremondously though =)

Hex

Donor
Reaction score
Website
hexical.me
I agree with Hexical and "expanding our borders". I have a game suggestion. Unturned: A zombie apocalypse game(free to play) its like dayz but more "kid" friendly. Its a ok game.
That is a somewhat small game though, compared to other games that I've suggested. It's nice because its F2P, and afaik running a server is very cheap and relatively easy. I don't think people that play that name have a good sense of community though, because its mainly full of server hoppers, people who just join a random server each time, as things save across servers (Well when I played that's how it went).

Honestly, garrysmod is the way to go if we want to try something else, so we can further reach into the community of that game, since its so large, and all the gamemodes offer tons of different people.

Jayfeather

Gay Magician
Donor
Reaction score
How has this been exhausted when we havent even tried it? theres been threads, but nothing to this scale (i looked through discussions before i even posted this).

I may be reading your reply wrong, but saying that a moderator shouldnt take action just becaus its exhausted, and just to leave it to admins, is the exact mentality im talking about. We need people to push hard for this. We shouldnt be sitting around and waiting for admins to do it, espicially since if no one pushes for it, how do they know if we want to expand?

Also, what i mean by donations is that what does league have to offer for donators? gmod or csgo you can give out cosmetics, hats, playermodels, trails, etc, stuff that isn't P2W of course, because we are against that. League (afaik) doesnt offer stuff like that. If we want more donations, we should give reasons to, even having small cosmetic options will encourage donating. I didnt mean that players couldnt donate. Extending into a game that offers an incentive to donate will (most likely) bring us in more donators.
I'm saying other people (myself included) pushed hard for what you're trying to accomplish and all we got was constant criticism and backlash at the suggestion. The argument specifically, not the attempts were exhausted over a long period of time and we could not make any headway. I'm not saying don't fight, I guess, it's just kindof cyclical to see this kind of thread pop up every few months when it's clear no one with any means of production is listening to the suggestion anymore

Hex

Donor
Reaction score
Website
hexical.me
I'm saying other people (myself included) pushed hard for what you're trying to accomplish and all we got was constant criticism and backlash at the suggestion. The argument specifically, not the attempts were exhausted over a long period of time and we could not make any headway. I'm not saying don't fight, I guess, it's just kindof cyclical to see this kind of thread pop up every few months when it's clear no one with any means of production is listening to the suggestion anymore
I'll keep fighting for this until my face turns blue. I'm not one to give up, even if previous attempts at getting administrators to try this turned out not so well received. I want to get something started, and I will absolutely push for it until it does. If it comes down to it, I'll buy my own server and host a garrysmod gamemode, then later attempt to merge. Maybe I'm too optimistic, but I want something to happen with expansion.

Reactions: Fragile

Vatumok

Former CA
Reaction score
I can't speak for former administrators but to be honest, when it was "pushed for" in the past is was mostly based on complaining and people being flat out toxic. This is one of the first time there's a genuine constructive idea coming forward, before it was mostly "... isn't doing so well we need something else." which isn't really all that useful and I even worded it nicely here. Most of the backlash was towards people acting like jerks, not suggesting branching out. Personally I have never been against hosting other games, there just needs to be a plan. I am not familiar with hosting those other games so I can't really set things up myself. I think Hexical can probably do wonders with Garry's Mod. Besides, times are different than they were a few months ago which affects how decisions should be made.

• Thank You
  • Agree
Reactions: Fragile and Hex

sessybessy

aka Jenben101
Creative Staff
Survival Staff
Reaction score
(I'm talking from a Minecraft point of view as I don't play Garry's Mod or TTT)

I'm all in for an expansion but I feel as though using donations for cosmetics turns us into a 'pay to win' server, I.E Hypixel.

You'd also find that using the donations for cosmetics may also just lower the cosmetic use. Really, all people will do is not use cosmetics and to be fairly honest they aren't used often today.

not ones just our community is interested in.
Just quoting this for a second.

Yes, I get the fact that we need to look for games that people will enjoy but that makes me think like you want to abandon our other games?
Perhaps it's just my interpretation of the sentence but if the community isn't interested in said game then no one will play it?

Our current members may not want to invest money into buying the game or downloading mod packs onto their computer and therefore we fall because we really need a bottom base of players that will create a lively atmosphere for newcomers...not a ghost town server with boring players that don't interact or answer questions or allow assistance to the new players.

However, I'm in for an expansion. The community is 'dead' in a way with the same people on all of the time. A new game will create a lot of buzz, especially...I think....in the Minecraft part of our community.

Just remember, if you're going to expand and create new games (in Minecraft) then make it original, originality will bring players to our servers. We don't want blatant copies of a build battle from Hypixel but just renamed to something like 'Builder Battles' or "Block battle" , we want something that pops and makes people want to play.
Also, if getting cosmetics requires a donation then pretty please don't turn into a pay2win server. PLEASE.

That's all for today
-Geek

Reactions: Hex and Vatumok

Vatumok

Former CA
Reaction score
So far is seems pretty clear what people want by looking at the pretty decisive results of the poll (which are also the 2 most logical answers).
I'll be in talks with Hexical and the other admins to talk about his GMod idea. I will be looking to rework minecraft too , not abandon it, I'm just unsure how at the moment. It's not as simple as shut down x or y. I do agree we need to come with an unique idea or things will not improve. It's important that people who vote for Minecraft let us know in which way you want it to change here or by PM.

Hex

Donor
Reaction score
Website
hexical.me
Geekenstein I'm gonna go through these one point at a time.

I'm all in for an expansion but I feel as though using donations for cosmetics turns us into a 'pay to win' server, I.E Hypixel
I can promise you that cosmetics would add absolutely nothing that would make us Pay2Win, practically, the idea of cosmetics in gmod is players would be able to get points to spend, for example $5 for 500 points, and there would be a shop that would include things like Hats, Trails, Models, etc. Here is a good picture of that http://imgur.com/LDFMtWl.

As you can see by the picture, there are only "Hats, Misc, Models, Pets, and Trails". These have absolutely no gameplay value what so ever, and would give no advantages at all. Heres examples of some things (Not my pictures just throwing these together for examples)

Hats:
http://imgur.com/UIAtIbi
These are simply hats that are placed on top of the players head, and they are free to choose what hat they want, and they can equip it / unequip it whenver they feel like it.

Models:
http://imgur.com/kMmNKyw
Players would be able to choose a model. and equip that. It would just change their model, and wouldn't effect anything like health, Damage, or anything.

Pets:
http://imgur.com/TjCsu9N
These would be little models that are in-game, that would just follow you around. They don't do anything special like shoot people, or cause damage. They just sit around the player and follow them around.

Trails:
http://imgur.com/jf93Qj3
These are just things that trail behind the players feet, the image repeats itself behind the player, and then slowly fades away.

As you can tell these are all purely cosmetic, and do not change gameplay in any way, rather, it gives players more of a reason to donate, and they get a little reward for donating too. I understand the concern, but I can assure you that this would not be a P2W server.

We could even make it so some cosmetics are only available to donators, so regular players have a chance at getting cosmetics, by playing they could earn points (like 10 points for every hour played) but donators will not only get special cosmetics that look cooler, but would get a boost in points without having to play.

Yes, I get the fact that we need to look for games that people will enjoy but that makes me think like you want to abandon our other games?
Perhaps it's just my interpretation of the sentence but if the community isn't interested in said game then no one will play it?
Never did I mean to abandon all of our old servers. I love Create, and Minecraft. We were built on Minecraft, and just leaving it would be a bad idea.

I think the idea that if no one here would like it then no one would play it is somewhat silly though. I started a DarkRP server without any base community at all, I had practically no one on my side at first, I started one because I wanted to have my own server without all the dick admins and mods I always ran into other servers. I made my own forums website, and community over time, and that server would end up getting 30-40 players almost daily, yet I never built it off of a pre-existing community. We don't always need to appeal to this community, and it would be possible getting players, even without the community being interested.

I may have been a little extreme, I do agree we should start something that the community generally agrees with, but when we just look at our community, it becomes a problem. Look at Starbound / Terraria, they are both very similar to minecraft (dont kill me I know they are vastly different too). Obviously when we just scope our ideas to this community, they are most likely gonna choose a server that appeals to their likings, and they will probably be something that is at least somewhat related to Minecraft in someway.
Our current members may not want to invest money into buying the game or downloading mod packs onto their computer and therefore we fall because we really need a bottom base of players that will create a lively atmosphere for newcomers...not a ghost town server with boring players that don't interact or answer questions or allow assistance to the new players.
I guess this falls under my last reply. Current members don't have to play for us to gather players and a community for that certain game. I'd also like to mention almost everybody owns garrysmod anyways, and thats what I'd really like to expand into.

Thank you for taking your time for reading this and replying, and addressing some problems. I will gladly answer more if you have any!

sessybessy

aka Jenben101
Creative Staff
Survival Staff
Reaction score
I think the idea
(just quoted that so I didn't have a huge quote message)

I get that we don't necessarily need a base of players but without some older players, who are more experienced and may have friends, to link the rest of the community with these games then you might find that they are detached and maybe not trusted? It's extremely hard to join a community and find a place, get friends, and have a good time. People really just need a trustworthy player that has links with people on other sides of the community (I.E someone from TTT who is friends with someone in Minecraft) to tie us in and make us a close knitted community.

We could even make it so some cosmetics are only available to donators, so regular players have a chance at getting cosmetics, by playing they could earn points (like 10 points for every hour played) but donators will not only get special cosmetics that look cooler, but would get a boost in points without having to play.
So exactly like Hypixel in Minecraft?
I'm not experienced in TTT so um I can't speak at all on that side of our community.

Anyways thanks for your response, it helped me clarify some information that I had misinterpreted.
-Geek

Hex

Donor
Reaction score
Website
hexical.me
(just quoted that so I didn't have a huge quote message)

I get that we don't necessarily need a base of players but without some older players, who are more experienced and may have friends, to link the rest of the community with these games then you might find that they are detached and maybe not trusted? It's extremely hard to join a community and find a place, get friends, and have a good time. People really just need a trustworthy player that has links with people on other sides of the community (I.E someone from TTT who is friends with someone in Minecraft) to tie us in and make us a close knitted community.

So exactly like Hypixel in Minecraft?
I'm not experienced in TTT so um I can't speak at all on that side of our community.

Anyways thanks for your response, it helped me clarify some information that I had misinterpreted.
-Geek
Ill have to hop on hypixel once i get home, as im not familair with how hypixel handles it. The part you quoted was just a possibility, we could also allow all users to get the cosmetics (again they will not further their progression in game at all, or provide assistance) but donators would get a boost in the "points" that are used to get the cosmetics, while non-donators would just have to play, and would earn points on an hour to hour basis.

Ill further this post once i get home, as im in school and on my phone. ill tag you once im done!

sessybessy

aka Jenben101
Creative Staff
Survival Staff
Reaction score
Ill further this post once i get home, as im in school and on my phone. ill tag you once im done!
That's cool, just because Hypixel handles their non-donators with a vicious attitude in my opinion. If you don't donate then you don't get friends, Hypixel is more or less a network...not a community.

Hex

Donor
Reaction score
Website
hexical.me
That's cool, just because Hypixel handles their non-donators with a vicious attitude in my opinion. If you don't donate then you don't get friends, Hypixel is more or less a network...not a community.
Yeah. Looking at Hypixel, these are hardly "cosmetics" like they make them out to be, so I can see your worry.

The only cosmetic that isn't changing the game that I'm seeing are pets. Everything else they sell pretty much has a feature that is added to it, which can give a player a slight advantage. In garrysmod these are and always will be purely cosmetic, nothing like Hypixel. They will never add a feature to a player, and non-donators / donators will have nothing that varies in between them besides probably a [Donor] tag.

Even if I made exclusive donator only cosmetics, these cosmetics would still be just cosmetics. A good example would be I could make a cool pet that just looks really good aesthetically, but would still give absolutely no added features. It would still be a cosmetic that is practically useless besides it looking good, but would be for donator only. While I could do this, I'd still have really nice looking pets for non-donators also. Players would still receive an hourly wage like my next idea, so it'd be possible for everyone to own the cosmetics.

Another way of going at it, is going with the hourly wage idea. A player joins the server and a timer starts to tick, and it'll give the player a currency of probably 50 points per hour. Cosmetics would most likely float around 200-300 points, so that would give a player an incentive to play for at least 4 hours, more than enough time to get a nice feel of the server. Though, if someone were to decide to donate, I could either up their hourly pay to 75 points, so they'd make slightly more per hour, making it easier to obtain said cosmetics, or I could just give them 500 points for donating, and they could use those points to buy a cosmetic.

I'm really really stressing the fact that these cosmetics wont, and will never be something that gives players any advantage!

I get that we don't necessarily need a base of players but without some older players, who are more experienced and may have friends, to link the rest of the community with these games then you might find that they are detached and maybe not trusted? It's extremely hard to join a community and find a place, get friends, and have a good time.
I understand where youre coming from. I will say, I have some really really good things that will hopefully link this community with the one I build up. I do not plan on trying to have a separate community, and I will do my absolute best to make it apparent that I'm linked with this community. I want to grow this community out just as much as anybody else does, and I'd hate to have a "seperate" community that wouldn't get along with this one. I'd never plan on leaving Minecraft, as its what made this server what it is today.

I threw something together about ~a month ago, that I think would actually be really helpful to link the new community I plan on building up, with ours. Practically, its a billboard I can permanently place on the map, and I'm able to link any webpage to it. Heres a screenshot of one that has our community forums linked onto it http://imgur.com/UHPGLby. I can link any webpage to these, and if a user walks up to them and "uses" it, it will open up the page in their Steam web browser.

I'd also like to mention it does seem that some of our community is interested in another garrysmod server, so that'll work out fine.

sessybessy

aka Jenben101
Creative Staff
Survival Staff
Reaction score
The only cosmetic that isn't changing the game that I'm seeing are pets. Everything else they sell pretty much has a feature that is added to it, which can give a player a slight advantage. In garrysmod these are and always will be purely cosmetic, nothing like Hypixel. They will never add a feature to a player, and non-donators / donators will have nothing that varies in between them besides probably a [Donor] tag.
I'm fairly sure that in Hypixel's racing game there are Donor only items that enhance your gameplay either by allowing a faster kart or a special suit that gives you higher chances of getting better-randomized items from the randomizer boxes.

But anyways, thank you for clarifying some things for me. I really want to see an expansion out of this community, even though it may not be through Minecraft.
-Geek

Zelz

the cooliest
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
I'm all in for an expansion but I feel as though using donations for cosmetics turns us into a 'pay to win' server, I.E Hypixel.
I know exactly what you mean but if they're purely cosmetic, there's nothing to "win". Hypixel isn't even pay to win either. You earn credits in the minigames for that game. Sure you can buy stuff but you don't have to, and most of what you do buy there is just pretty looking stuff. I'm all for cosmetics personally, it adds a reward for donations. If you reward people, they'll want to do it more.

Other than that, personally I'm all for modded minecraft. I've never really dug into it but it makes a change, which is what we need I think. TF2 used to be fun, but Overwatch came along and took a dump on it.

If all else fails, we can always get Shande to do a sexy strip tease in a kilt for some donations.