Oh God.

WhySoDumb

Reaction score
The controversial Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) has already pushed Red 5 Studios toshut down the beta and website for Firefall on January 18, but now, an even more prominent game company is readying a blackout to be held on the same day.

Mojang studio head Markus Persson today announced via Twitter that Minecraft.net and Mojang.com will be taken offline on January 18 in protest of SOPA. Persson did not say how long the blackout will last.

While the browser-based version of Minecraft will be unavailable through Minecraft.net during the downtime, gamers can still play the game if they have previously downloaded it.

Mojang joins Epic Games, Runic Games, Riot Games, and Red 5 Studios as game companies openly professing disapproval of SOPA. However, not all gaming entities are against the measure. The Entertainment Software Association--the game industry's representative body--has pledged its support for SOPA. According to the ESA, the game industry requires effective protection against the illegal acquisition of games and those who facilitate it.

Companies that support the bill--including the National Football League and GameSpot parent company CBS--argue that it offers necessary protection to content creators. Opponents of the bill, such as Google, Facebook, Twitter, and the Electronic Frontier Foundation, argue that SOPA infringes upon First Amendment rights and will ultimately deprive the Internet of non-infringing content.
-Taken from gamespot.

Awwwyea

Ghast Hunter
Reaction score
I heard that Google, Twitter, and Facebook were doing the same as well, but not on that day. Then I reread the post and saw this.

I also heard if SOPA passes all the online funny picture sharing websites declare war on the government. Prepare your guy fawkes masks everyone.

kraby1

The Big Red Monster From Hell.
Reaction score
Seriously? Then How Am I suppose to play zombie survival?
I hate you SOPA, I hope your idea fails so badly, that nobody ever will try something similar.
It really blows, that MY DAMN FAVE GAME, WILL HAVE TO SUFFER FROM SOMEBODY'S STUPID IDEA.

Amorix

Reaction score
Guys, America is pretty much internet central. Meaning, whether or not you live in the US, SOPA screws everyone.
Well, now I won't be able to be on Blocktopia servers. THANKS A LOT!

Summer10

Reaction score
This law has good intentions... but repercussions... Most websites will most likely be taken down because it only takes, ( @DieLorelei ) one bad apple to spoil the barrel ;) For those who haven't seen it yet, here is totalbiscuit's video on how he thinks sopa should be fought/handled

Reactions: 1 person

Summer10

Reaction score
I thought the U.S. was supposed to be a democracy. I guess that's gone, since SOPA is still here, and I'm certain the majority of people are against SOPA.
The majority of the people in the U.S. probably aren't even aware of SOPA since there are 300 mil+ people in the U.S. and we unfortunately have no definite way of getting the message across... unless we Deus ex's way of pressing a button to transmit a message across the entire world..

Defiant_Blob

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
Donor
Reaction score
The majority of the people in the U.S. probably aren't even aware of SOPA since there are 300 mil+ people in the U.S. and we unfortunately have no definite way of getting the message across... unless we Deus ex's way of pressing a button to transmit a message across the entire world..
Well, I'm certain there are more people that don't want it than people that do want it.

Reactions: Duffie and Summer10

Summer10

Reaction score
Reactions: Trap_Wolf

ZombiePineapple

The Hell Raiser
Reaction score
Meh i hate my government -.- they dont understand i sent my representative and asked him and told him why he should not support SOPA or PIPA. You just cant stop people from using the internet without the internet in today's generation what will the people who have iphones or ipods or ipads or iwhatevers, what they going to do? They are going to find a way to get on the internet and avoid SOPA and PIPA so America a democracy as in reference to what @lolpierandom said i agree America was a democracy back then but it is no longer a democracy now

Summer10

Reaction score
Meh i hate my government -.- they dont understand i sent my representative and asked him and told him why he should not support SOPA or PIPA. You just cant stop people from using the internet without the internet in today's generation what will the people who have iphones or ipods or ipads or iwhatevers, what they going to do? They are going to find a way to get on the internet and avoid SOPA and PIPA so America a democracy as in reference to what @lolpierandom said i agree America was a democracy back then but it is no longer a democracy now
Was I the only one who couldn't understand any of this? :oops:

paceboys

Reaction score
Go sopa! go pipa! SCREW INTERNET LETS BE SAFER AND AWESOMER CAUSE WE ARE SAFE AND SHIT What the hell did i just type... Is this what the world is coming to? we need restrictions on one of the most common things used daily? i mean, branching out from the community dying, what about THE WHOLE WORLD OF INTERNET. I really hope at the very least these SOPA people know what they even are doing, and all the hate they are getting. At least they arent oblivious to the issue. i think. >.>

Reactions: Duffie