[Not Happening] Announcing the new direction of the community

SirComputer

Rainmaker
Donor
Reaction score
The fact this has been posted shows that not just the users, but the staff as well, are getting sick of what's going on higher up - e.g, being told that we're getting new things, but not, and this should bring a big message saying that we're not prepared to put up with this any more. If you can't do it, either don't announce it or just simply tell us - we'll be fine with it, just don't expect us to just let these messages to pass by and for us to let them go.

A lot of threads in here have good ideas that have been wasted due to nothing being done. And to be honest, the admins (server and community) have said they have had ideas, and they do look good, but not actually doing them, some you even said for no reason, isn't going to help the community survive, and that's the bottom line. Of course, we should give credit to the active admins who have been helping our community daily, who have been really the reason we're still standing recently.

Yes, you have lives, yes, you should enjoy them, but surely we're a team? I've seen a model of one person taking on a task and never getting it done mainly - why does another person perhaps try and help? Is it because that that other person doesn't know? I've found our communication is dreadful, not even meeting recap style posts, nevermind anything on TS. Because of this, no one seems to have a clear direction on how the server is shaping, nor can anyone try to shape it.

It's not just higher up. Us mods haven't exactly been supportive or active, contributing just as much to the community rotting. Whilst some staff have been helping, the majority have been letting down their servers, however this probably is due to nothing happening to the server, and therefore no one coming on. This forms the endless cycle of nothing happening.

Basically, we as the staff need to start acting as a team, or this endless cycle of the server admins not doing anything (quite a few of whom's ontimes have been less than minimal) because nothing's happening on the server, and the mods (also quite a lot of whom's has been less than minimal) not doing anything because nothing's happening with the server will bring the community to its knees. At the moment it has been a few staff commenting in a thread with some admin input with nothing happening. Ideally we should have all staff commenting in these posts with stuff actually happening! (Don't worry, I'm guilty too.) Keep in mind though, we do have some staff who really do care and post regularly to try and keep this community alive, and these are the people we should look up to.

We've been told we're getting some new stuff shortly - hopefully this can be the start of a revival of the community.

Let's make one thing clear though - we need to be more welcoming as a community. The ADMINS don't feel welcome - this is a huge issue that they cannot sort out, because as a community it is our responsibility. Are you not grateful for the admins trying to save this place, however it may be? Who cares if nothing's happening, since they're trying, and not ranting. They're not ranting about you, so stop ranting about them is what we really need to say. If you're going to say something, be constructive, don't just drop a negative in your forum status without leaving us any solution whatsoever - it's extremely hypocritical that you can be complaining about them when you're just moaning and doing nothing yourself, in the case of some people. It is extremely disappointing that an admin is saying they don't feel invited into the community, and that is our fault.

To summarise: Stop shitting on each other, especially when you've done nothing yourself except moan, and work as a team.

My talk is over.

I sound like a prick, and I'll probably get a lot of hate from this, but every once in a while I feel it can be necessary. I'll probably have not proofread a tiny bit probably and insulted someone massively. Sorry if that happens.

Last edited:

Defiant_Blob

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
Donor
Reaction score
Not sure why people act so entitled in this community nowadays.

The staff aren't being paid for their work, they did it out of the passion for Minecraft. Now that Minecraft is dying (at least in the PC market), a lot of the motivation is gone. It's not exactly fun to work your ass off for something that's dying slowly. I don't really blame them. While I'm not saying that the death of Blocktopia EscapeRestart is inevitable, it's not that simple to build a community like this back up like people act like it is. It takes lots of money, resources, and time, the first of which this community isn't exactly flowing in since we've always had a free-to-play model (and even then, communities with pay-to-play models that succeeded still eventually dwindled down).

I'm not really sure where I'm going with this, but it is really obnoxious with how many people are completely pinning it on the admins and staff when it's a community problem as well.

Catcocomics

Reaction score
That is how many sales of the pc/mac Minecraft has as of when I started typing this post, and the number is still climbing (even if at a slower rate than back in 2012).
If any version of Minecraft is dead at this point, it's either pocket edition or console version, and for those, I can't say much about.
I understand that there are people turning away from Minecraft and that it's not big flashy news anymore, but seriously guys, it's not dead!

I know we can't be a Minecraft community forever, and that perhaps one day, Minecraft itself will die (if it doesn't get spread throughout the cosmos). Our Minecraft servers aren't exactly booming, but we at least seem to have about 20 players on the Minecraft servers every day now (and compared with the 1 or 2 a day we had back in June, that's an improvement).
Now I know that most of the old , smaller servers that were mostly just survival have just about vanished from all save modpacks, but if you simply look for a moment, you will find that there are a good deal of servers out there still chugging along at a healthy pace, though most of them have no less than about 80 players most of the day, and many of them have around 1000 or more players at any given moment.
I know Minecraft is different than back in 2012, and that it might be declining a little, but Minecraft is not dead, and please do not even jokingly say otherwise so long as the game is still thriving.

I'm sorry if this is a bit off topic, but I'm tired of seeing people just casually toss out things like 'oh, Minecraft is pretty much dead', 'rip Minecraft, it's dying' because it's no longer booming as much as it was three or four years ago. Minecraft is not dead, Minecraft is not presently dying.
Please keep this in mind the next time you want to mention how Minecraft is fairing.

Minecraft still stands strong, and now has sold 20,713,536 accounts as of this post.

Reactions: Notme and Naoh

Vino

Fidget Spinner
Reaction score
That is how many sales of the pc/mac Minecraft has as of when I started typing this post, and the number is still climbing (even if at a slower rate than back in 2012).
If any version of Minecraft is dead at this point, it's either pocket edition or console version, and for those, I can't say much about.
I understand that there are people turning away from Minecraft and that it's not big flashy news anymore, but seriously guys, it's not dead!
Minecraft still stands strong, and now has sold 20,713,536 accounts as of this post.
Ok i wanted to keep myself from replying to anything else in this thread, but let me make something clear. In terms of how many people in general play minecraft still, its still one of the largest games out there. However look at where these players are. All these players are on large, old servers fueled by heavy p2w mechanics and servers of which are gamemodes that are very easy to manage. All these servers have huge staff bases, huge developer bases, and a huge amount of dedication from staff

Can we just think about this realistically for a second. We currently do not have near the resources to make a server like like these. We dont have enough dedicated staff, we dont have the funds, we dont have the playerbase, we have nothing. For us to start up a server of that level and to hope to get it anywhere near the activity of your 100+ player servers would simply take a miracle.

Now is there a problem with making small servers like Kami's or Solitude on here? Not really, we just cant expect it to be highly successful for long periods of time. The main reason why so many people are against a minecraft server is because every server is the same thing for us. High activity (30+) for a week or so then it dies down to around (10) for a bit before becoming completely bairn. There is no point in even trying to accomplish something like this and waste funds for a server that has 3 players on during peak times.

Instead, as i have been recommending for months now, we should be doing weekend servers. If activity is high enough make them last a week. If activity is still high then expand. Dont start large and let it stay empty. Better to start small and work your way up.

Jayfeather

Gay Magician
Donor
Reaction score
Not sure why people act so entitled in this community nowadays.

The staff aren't being paid for their work, they did it out of the passion for Minecraft. Now that Minecraft is dying (at least in the PC market), a lot of the motivation is gone. It's not exactly fun to work your ass off for something that's dying slowly. I don't really blame them. While I'm not saying that the death of Blocktopia EscapeRestart is inevitable, it's not that simple to build a community like this back up like people act like it is. It takes lots of money, resources, and time, the first of which this community isn't exactly flowing in since we've always had a free-to-play model (and even then, communities with pay-to-play models that succeeded still eventually dwindled down).

I'm not really sure where I'm going with this, but it is really obnoxious with how many people are completely pinning it on the admins and staff when it's a community problem as well.
It's hard to defend irresponsible decision making. If Minecraft is dying like you say it is (and it is of course, but we'll never get anyone to admit it) then why are the lead directors (the admins) allowing the format to keep adding Minecraft servers? We've had probably 4 good threads between staff and normal forums about new directions, and 1 massive overhaul but we stay exactly the same, excuse me, we get even farther in the hole, despite the outcry that things need to change. I also understand that they are not payed, nor recently appreciated for their work, but maybe in a dying community, with lots of civil disputes and clashing groups within it, that should just be part of the job description and not an excuse. Lastly uh, how is it a community problem if the community keeps funding this dead end, other than using the products (playing the servers), what else can you expect from the playerbase?

ALL THAT BEING SAID, Nillbug literally stated we were getting 2 servers over the next 2 weeks, so I dunno why Vino even did this thread

EDIT: Something unrelated to Defiant's post here, Minecraft's new playerbase is much younger than anyone that's been encouraged to join the community (I believe we advertise around 11-13+ y.o.) and it won't help to spit out numbers that stem from 6 year old kids playing to try and prove that it's not a dying game. These people won't ever join our servers in all likelihood. Especially since this game is now, what, 7 years old or something? Like ya they have a lot of sales they had 4 years of mass obsession and then more or less nothing, a total number adds up after 4 years, its not like they're selling 27 million a day

Reactions: Notme and Fragile

Catcocomics

Reaction score
I had a message I wanted to say, but I'm really kind of too tired to word it in a way that won't make it seem like I just want to take the community and run off with it to some fantastic dream that sadly can't be coming true unless the community resolves it's current social issues.

I do have something for us that I plan to set into motion on Thursday, but it's not going to do us any good if we're so divided that we don't even care about certain things for whatever reason. However, if people are interested in this plan of mine, well, my Splatoon thread (which is now kind of just a game update/news thread specifically for Splatoon) could use a bit of acknowledgement, at least for a few moments.

[edit]: On second thought, I might wait a week or two (no more than two weeks) to set this in motion, since a level 33 A+ rank isn't quite a level 35+ S+ rank, and then of course, it may be a slight challenge if I tell recruits that further information is here if we aren't even ready for new people.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fragile