• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nillbugwtw

Zombier than thou.
Community Admin
Donor
Reaction score
In a sense, if the server doesn't recognize you moving those 25 blocks, thats some pretty bad lag and i feel like even though its not the players fault, it would get very irritating to not be able to catch someone because of their lag.... Not to mention even more frustrating to be caught by someone who appears 25 blocks away then suddenly catch you...
True story. Hadn't thought about that. Only problem is, how can we get the server to differentiate between lag and respawning?

Jowe

Giver of Pancakes
Reaction score
No It cant be abused, the respawn just dont work like now but instead of getting kicked you get only warnings
No, it totally can be abused, but just in a different way. The old zombie server didn't allow to respawn after the round started, instead if your press R it spawned you back to your last location. Repeatedly pressing R allowed for people to place themselves inside blocks like adminium.

Damer_Flinn

Resident Asha'man
Reaction score
The server can't differentiate between respawning and lag because they appear the same to the server. Respawning is client side, meaning that when you set your spawn point it doesn't tell the server anything. It just saves a temp file with those coordinates. When you respawn your client sends the location saved in that file as your current location instead of where you were before. When you lag it does the same, if you are moving during your lag the updates sent to the server are spaced out enough that you are essentially teleporting from place to place without crossing the space between.

(it works slightly different than this, but this was the best way I could think of to explain it)

D0mac

Sneaky Beaver Purple guy= SBP guy
Reaction score
hmm that makes things difficult. i know this is a long shot but is it possible to possibley cancel that and whenever it receives that file replace it with the location of the player at the current time. no idea if this is possible just thought it might be since its server side not client side.

balloon98

The balloon that never pops
Reaction score
I am pretty sure that isn't possible and I believe you should just deal with lag kicks like everyone else.
Example: I once got kicked 4 times in one day from lag spikes on Zombie yet I still didn't get too mad

Jayfeather

Gay Magician
Donor
Reaction score
I am pretty sure that isn't possible and I believe you should just deal with lag kicks like everyone else.
Example: I once got kicked 4 times in one day from lag spikes on Zombie yet I still didn't get too mad
Key word being Once.
According to some people, they can't play whatsoever because of it.
I've only been lag kicked once, and it wasn't my Internet, so I usually stay out of the issue.

balloon98

The balloon that never pops
Reaction score
I didn't mean that was the only time I got kicked for lag reasons it was just a time when it was bothersome that it wouldn't allow me to play. I said once because being kicked 4 times in the span of like 15 minutes is pretty annoying and it that was the only time that happened between the usual lag kick of like an hour

Gamer_740

Reaction score
The title, the most of the times people get wizard kicked because of the lag, not of respawning.
A simple solution for this would be only warnings and going back to the spot, instead of just getting kicked.
Or you could just change your respawn Button to one key you would never push respawning is just cheating and unfair if it was on just my oppinoin

LISTINGS09

Ain't afraid of no ghost
Reaction score
Website
www.4thdp.com
Teleporting and lagging send the same information to the server. A player is at x1,y1, then they tell the server they have moved to x10,y10.

Is it lag and their PC only just caught up, or did they press R and magically teleported there? Who knows...

The problem is that if you spam teleport enough times, the server can only processes so many packets at once, and it ends up thinking your last position was the position you tried to teleport to. In effect, making the teleport work.

Hence to stop this loophole, you're kicked if you try and do it too many times.

kraby1

The Big Red Monster From Hell.
Reaction score
Lobby>Options>Controls change the R to a letter like P so you won't get kicked by accident by pressing R. I get kicked often for pressing R instead of T. I like the idea of being kicked if you respawn 3 times. I would call it cheating, if you respawn back in spawn or somewhere while being chased. Sometimes I press R by accident And I do not teleport back, but stay in the spawn resulting for me to get killed.

kraby1

Gamefan__15

rotarepO eibmoZ-xE
Reaction score
Or you could just change your respawn Button to one key you would never push respawning is just cheating and unfair if it was on just my oppinoin
Lobby>Options>Controls change the R to a letter like P so you won't get kicked by accident by pressing R. I get kicked often for pressing R instead of T. I like the idea of being kicked if you respawn 3 times. I would call it cheating, if you respawn back in spawn or somewhere while being chased. Sometimes I press R by accident And I do not teleport back, but stay in the spawn resulting for me to get killed.

kraby1
I think the point of this thread is that respawn kicks sometimes happen when you don't respawn, because of lag.

Degekken

Reaction score
I think the point is that kraby almost made a necropost

Can someone lock this now?

(And guys no I do never press R it is lag, learn to bloody read ._.)

Status
Not open for further replies.