Minecraft. You've changed, man.

Riketr

Reaction score
1. The first thing being potions. Since it came out I haven't even created a single potion or tried to make one. Good idea, way to complicated. I'd prefer if potions were just random drops instead of craftable

2. The second thing is I love the jungle biome. It feels as though it's alive with big ass trees etc. I don't like ocelots though. They should've added another animal tbh. Cats are pretty useless.

3. I'm also glad you can control saddled pigs now (though I haven't found a carrot yet.)

4. The leveling system makes no sense to me. I don't understand what it does, nor do I care.

5. Also another thing I'd like to add is that some MAJOR glitches are still not fixed. How can Minecraft claim to be a complete game when I still have to suffer the stupid inventory glitch?

6. I agree, everythings become way to complicated for my liking. Instead of cheap gimmicks I would have preferred new mobs and animals instead.

7. The Nether. Oh lawdy I don't even know what's going on there anymore.

8. I still don't like the villagers because they are goofy looking BUT AT LEAST THEY HAVE A PURPOSE NOW. Although I think trading is way unbalanced and overpriced.
Here's my opinions on everything you just said:

1. In number 5, never forget the invisibility glitch.

2. I agree with number 8. Villagers don't know the definition of a deal that makes sense.

3. I facepalm at your opinion on cats. Creepers run away from cats. Wherever you bring a cat, you won't be attacked by creepers. But yeah, jungles are pretty awesome except for the fact that on about 50% of my SP worlds, I spawn in one.

4. With levels, of course, you enchant. More levels means better enchantments.

5. I forgot you were able to control saddled pigs, so I haven't tested it in creative. But I found out that you can no longer breed pigs with wheat and now you are required to breed them with carrots.

6. The Nether. The place where I get lost about 50% of the time.

7. With potions, you can make PvP easier. The only problem is, they aren't stackable in vanilla Minecraft.

8. Yeah, Minecraft needs much more mobs. But at least in 1.4, we'll be getting bats and witches.

Duffie

Reaction score
Website
duffieshirayuki.deviantart.com
My opinions on your matters. ;)

1. The first thing being potions. Since it came out I haven't even created a single potion or tried to make one. Good idea, way to complicated. I'd prefer if potions were just random drops instead of craftable
Honestly, it isn't too complicated. If you think it's complicated, don't even look at Technic/Tekkit.

All potions, and enchantments for that matter, need is a quick study of the wiki, or the chart they provide with the basics. It's really quite simple, and can be abused in many different situations.

2. The second thing is I love the jungle biome. It feels as though it's alive with big ass trees etc. I don't like ocelots though. They should've added another animal tbh. Cats are pretty useless.
Cats really aren't that useless. I thought they were, but they really love to keep Creepers away from you. Sure, you may be the type that can watch your own back, and you may always end up seeing the Creeper before it sees you. But, not everyone is like that; some people always end up getting blown up from their backside, considering that's what Creepers love to do. With cats, they scare them away, even if for a brief moment. I think they're quite useful. ;)

3. I'm also glad you can control saddled pigs now (though I haven't found a carrot yet.)
Yes, you can control them, but they aren't super quick. :p

The best function of this feature is that, now we have a way of transport that doesn't require all too much, is not limited, and doesn't use our hunger. Very useful indeed. :D

4. The leveling system makes no sense to me. I don't understand what it does, nor do I care.
I know you don't care, but the leveling system is mainly for enchantments. Which are even more useful, as of the 1.3 update.

5. Also another thing I'd like to add is that some MAJOR glitches are still not fixed. How can Minecraft claim to be a complete game when I still have to suffer the stupid inventory glitch?
Inventory glitch? :x

I haven't heard of it, so maybe they haven't, either. They're definitely working on bugs and glitches, and I'm sure if they do know about this glitch, it's on their To-Do List.

6. I agree, everything's become way to complicated for my liking. Instead of cheap gimmicks I would have preferred new mobs and animals instead.
As this is your opinion, I have no say in this matter. As everyone has their own way of thinking about certain things, so do I.

7. The Nether. Oh lawdy I don't even know what's going on there anymore.
Before, the Nether was just a place that wasn't even necessary to go to. It used to just be an area that was created for a Halloween special.

They're trying to make the Nether a more playable area, as it has always been left in the dust, ever since the Halloween Update. Sure, they made it more necessary in some small updates, but now they're adding a boss there. :p

8. I still don't like the villagers because they are goofy looking BUT AT LEAST THEY HAVE A PURPOSE NOW. Although I think trading is way unbalanced and overpriced.
Yes, they are goofy looking. But, everything looks goofy in MineCraft. We're a bunch of blocks, for goodness sake!

I agree that the trading is overbalanced, but I don't think it's overpriced. I think it's underpriced, and way too easy to abuse.

We can all agree that MineCraft has its bugs. No one, and nothing, is perfect. If there are problems that are frustrating to people, I'm 98% sure that Mojang has it on their To-Do List. If it isn't, then all you need to do is notify them, with evidence of the situation.

All you need is a little time and patience. If you don't like how MineCraft turns out, though... Well, not everyone likes change.

JKangaroo

Your Local, Neighborhood Marsupial
Reaction score
I don't really care if Minecraft has glitches.
How many games can we really call "complete games" these days that have very few bugs / glitches to speak of?
Most games, especially from what I've seen, when first released, the game is always chocked full of bugs, glitches, and the like. I've seen this primarily with Triple-A developers in recent years, as well as in certain aspects of the Indie scene, but every game normally has its extreme flaws, Minecraft including. Most of these games are just patched later on in the year, or by modders if that game permits.
Now as Minecraft has ALWAYS basically been a game that has been added onto and fixed up through patches and updates and recently with snapshots, I don't consider this a big problem, although a bit frustrating to some players.
I don't know what this "inventory" glitch this, but this many be one of the few problems that most likely be resolved soon anyways.

Also note that with every update to any game imaginable, even if some bugs are fixed, new ones will just be created due to oncoming game-play changes, or additions to the game itself. A game, in my opinion, can never truly be rid of glitches or bugs, so again, I don't see a problem with this.

Now... I didn't really say much about my thoughts / any specific details in my original post, so now's a good time as any.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As I said before, I actually like pretty much everything Jeb and Mojang have basically been adding to the game, tough some may seem or actually are a bit under or over-powered.
But again, pretty much all, with the exception of few, have problems with glitches / bugs / the actual game-play / mechanics / anything imaginable... so I can let it slide somewhat.

I enjoy potions. Potions are a very nice and unique and quite fun to use and create once you get all the materials for them. Looking at what BurnyBurns says also: why do you not want potions to be craftable? Look at the name Minecraft; what is a sub-word within that name? What do you do the majority of the game?
You... Craft.
Wheter it be items, buildings, etc, Minecraft is based around a large and diverse crafting system.
What other games have crafting systems?
Skyrim... Terraria... Almost any MMO like World of Warcraft, Guild Wars, or Warhammer Online, as well as countless other, new and old games. A lot of these games have complicated crafting systems to the simple eye, but become easier over time as you play it.
In fact, a lot of people sometimes only play certain games for their crafting component, for that is just a specific thing they enjoy in games of this "genre" per-se.

Yes: drop-able potions would be nice from time to time, such as the occasional bow from a skeleton or iron shovel from a Zombie. However, like most things hard-core / overly zealous PVPers, fans, and the like may say that it will just make the game easier, though pretty much anything can be assumed like that.
Plus: in most crafting scenario's, players just use a "crafting guide" whether it be on a wiki / etc, so it may not see entirely complicated.

I think potions were a good addition to the game, and I don't think they are as over-powered as people say. There are a lot of ways to use them, and at times, prevent them from being used against you.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think enchantments are just a bit overpowered.
Though people may argue against this, saying again, it makes the game "too easy" (seriously, it gets extremely annoying after people say that countless times), I feel happy and glad that new ways of earning experience are being added.
This argument has been used before, but it is a valid point and reason: a lot of people dislike PVP or fighting mobs on a consistent basis (myself being one of them), and before, there was no way to earn experience any other way. With the addition of smelting, mining, and life-stock herding, there are more ways to access enchantments, and actually, in a PVP situation, actually have a chance at defending oneself instead of being senselessly slaughtered.

... That was a bit of a rant, sorry about that. I was supposed to talk about enhantments and how they are a bit overpowered, right? Well, actually that pertains somewhat to my rant / discussion above about the different ways to gain experience. I always thought enchantments, when they were to be added, would just be small buffs, such as a small increase in damage or explosive protection: the equivalent of either level I or II enchantments which are fairly easy to obtain, and wouldn't exactly unbalance much of the game.
However, instead we got "god-weapons / armour," as some call it, instead, causing a bit of a rift in people who love, hate, or just are a bit frustrated with the way enchantments work, the latter most of us probably feel.

I think enchantments are great, but used in moderation in PVP scenario's. I think extremely powerful pick-axes or shovels that help clear the land or just to mine with are perfectly fine. I mean: I'm pretty sure most of the progress back at UCON on our current SMP server would still be covered in mounds of dirt without some of these powerful mining tools.
So: Mining tool enchantments: A-okay for me. PVP enchantments on armour and such: Only in moderation / lesser effectiveness, in my opinion.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think everything else being added has been a long time coming.
Things like the carrot on a stick, armour that can be cloured, and etc, should have really been in the game before; though they really couldn't have under the development of Notch
(Look at all this content being given, and how few, at least every few months or so content was being produced back then: Its a nice change of pace and a bit of a breath of fresh air).
There is nothing really major that could make Minecraft more "easier" from the recent content patches, at least, from what I've seen.
In fact: the recent updates / snapshots, and possibly from new updates in the beyond, all seem to be more central on new mobs, blocks, and just things to customize with, which is basically what many fans have been wanting.

I think Minecraft is going up-hill, not down-hill. The community, and the game, is most likely getting stronger, and into a broader range, which may be a good experience. Mods will still be there, and you can have your fun with them, but the core game seems to be upgrading overtime (as it should be, and has been ever since its beginning, up through Alpha, and so on), which can just add onto the great experience of mods.

Minecraft may have changed, but again, I say, it might just be for the better.
- JKangaroo
(Edit: I think this may just be the longest post I've ever made. Silly wall of text, how I hate thee and your wall-ness aspect. *shakes fist*)

Reactions: Duffie

Vatumok

Former CA
Reaction score
The awesome thing about the old minecraft was that you could do anything, there were no goals to achieve, you just kept building new and more interesting things. This has changed over the last year(s), I think because of the popularity, into a game where you try to get as strong as possible and beat bosses. Whereas it is not exactly lame, it just doesn't have that minecraft feeling of do/build-whatever-you-want. Also the introduction of villages was silly, because the idea of minecraft is, is that you are placed on a world alone (unless multiplayer) and making that world yours, however you like, without pre-built villages. The only updates I liked were the biomes and pistons (and a few other things). I believe they should've done updates in a way of more resources and better options for machinery (think of tekkit) and not updates that make it more of an adventure/RPG game.

It's still nice, but Minecraft is turning into an adventure game instead of a sandbox game - which I really dislike. It shouldn't be about fighting bosses, or about leveling, or about enchanting, but making cool houses alone or with friends. (therefore some parts of the updates were pretty neat, things that gave you more options in the sense of decoration)

JKangaroo

Your Local, Neighborhood Marsupial
Reaction score
The awesome thing about the old minecraft was that you could do anything, there were no goals to achieve, you just kept building new and more interesting things. This has changed over the last year(s), I think because of the popularity, into a game where you try to get as strong as possible and beat bosses. Whereas it is not exactly lame, it just doesn't have that minecraft feeling of do/build-whatever-you-want. Also the introduction of villages was silly, because the idea of minecraft is, is that you are placed on a world alone (unless multiplayer) and making that world yours, however you like, without pre-built villages. The only updates I liked were the biomes and pistons (and a few other things). I believe they should've done updates in a way of more resources and better options for machinery (think of tekkit) and not updates that make it more of an adventure/RPG game.

It's still nice, but Minecraft is turning into an adventure game instead of a sandbox game - which I really dislike. It shouldn't be about fighting bosses, or about leveling, or about enchanting, but making cool houses alone or with friends. (therefore some parts of the updates were pretty neat, things that gave you more options in the sense of decoration)
Actually there was a goal, and that goal was always to get the best type of gear and tools, which originally was diamonds when that ore was released. This is especially the case since diamonds were probably extremely rarer during those days; so indeed, there was a goal of sorts in Minecraft.

However, all of these extra additions, though some are bad, a player always has a choice of using them or not, making them an optional piece of gameplay. As an example, I always see some players complain about how the game is becoming to easy due to many of these newer changes, which is true to a degree, however, whenever they state these things, they are always using the latest or newest updated equipment or tools or blocks or etc. If they in turn want the game to be harder, just do not use these. The same idea can go for fighting bosses or enchanting, those aspects, though becoming a more important aspect to the game, are still only there as a distraction or side-project to work on throughout your time playing the game.
It's really based on the standards and ideals that player wants to set themselves for as they are playing the game.
You can probably have fun even without downgrading just by avoiding or simply not using the other aspects that Minecraft has implemented.

And honestly, originally the game became extremely boring with how limited it was: there just wasn't much to do back in Indev and Alpha, so the game was fairly uninteresting, even with the sandbox element (which the game really still is).
(I don't consider Beta here since I feel its just a small downgrade from the game's current state).

The only thing though that I really hate are the excessive amounts of Ravines and Abandoned Mineshaft's dotted around the worlds. Seriously, those get in the way of practically everything, especially when I want to build something or explore, and a random ravine is directly in the spot in which I was attempting to build a structure...
And Mineshafts are just to long and have no real great rewards for going through them besides the occasional (rare) diamond, and multiple amounts of seeds. My only real pet-peeves on the shaping of the world.

• Agree
Reactions: Duffie

Duffie

Reaction score
Website
Every game has an end game, including sandbox style games.

And that end game for Minecraft back then was to get all the top tiered gear and tools, and as many diamonds, gold, and iron as possible. Not to mention making the largest place you can get.

But, sadly, what happens to everything, but seems to have slowed slightly for the current version of Minecraft; Things start to get boring, as you end up having everything you could possibly muster. With the way Minecraft is now, you have more things to aim for, so you have a longer time to reach your goals.

I prefer the end game to be very distant, and hard to acquire; Kind of like Terraria, in the what I play it.

I'm not sure what Minecraft needs, but it seems every time they change something, all the Traditionalists rage about the ongoing changes. Everything has to change once in a while... But, good news for you guys, there's MCNostalgia.

davidjl123

Historian
Donor
Reaction score
Website
omaranddavid.weebly.com

July 12, 2010.

I was looking in a gaming forums that I used to be in, and found a thread talking about Minecraft. In my mind I thought, "Hmm, Minecraft. Sounds like an interesting game." So I started playing the Classic version.

The first server I played in was "Just another Minecraft Server". I met two friends there, Ash and Alexvian (I never saw those two again). Ash built a city hall in the guest world. I was looking around, amazed by his creation. Unfortunately my left mouse button got stuck, I ended up accidentally "griefing" it, and I got banned by the admin (DrWhoCares) without questioning.

The next day, July 13, 2010, I went to the server list to find another server. One server caught my eye. Its name was:
TheOne's Zombie - theonemcft.net
It sounded like a very interesting server to me. "Hmm, zombies. Oh man!" I thought. I clicked on the server. I joined the server at a start of a round. The map name was "ship". I ran, and because I was a noob, I immediately got eaten by a zombie. The zombie skin was a clown-like skin at a time, if my memory is correct. The first op I met was jahturtle. I later met One_Survivor (who was also new to TheOne's).

Around July 20, 2010, I found that TheOne's had more servers to offer. I went on the Build Server. I made a bar and here I was, asking people to help me as bartender. Someone named "iroh" answered, wanting to be bartender. I accepted and that started a friendship. Back then, I was obsessed at making roads and made them at almost every map. We made an underwater road and either PandaBear or MindCrafty promoted me and iroh to builder.

Continuing on...

- around August 16, 2010 - adv builder, equivalent to trusted back then
- August 26, 2010 - Bought Minecraft
- Late August or Early September 2010 - Became SMP trusted
- September 2010 - Inactivity
- October 2010 - Rejoined Blocktopia
- November 16, 2010 - Became Build operator, Demoted from SMP trusted
- January 1, 2011 - Demoted
- July 8, 2011 - Became Zombie trusted without an application, promoted by IntensiK (http://i46.tinypic.com/3484py0.png)
- February 11, 2012 - Demoted by Vatumok (http://i49.tinypic.com/34j91d3.jpg)
- February 2012 - Inactivity
- May 2012 - Rejoined Blocktopia
- Present time

PS. Naterger - I was your favorite advbuilder.

Dess

The UmbreOp
Reaction score
Inventory glitch? :x. I haven't heard of it, so maybe they haven't, either. They're definitely working on bugs and glitches, and I'm sure if they do know about this glitch, it's on their To-Do List.
I belive he is talking about the Shift glitch, where when you try to move something out of your inventory it moves the entire stack. You can't move items into chests or stuff like that. It's a pain but it's fixed by restarting minecraft.

Damer_Flinn

Resident Asha'man
Reaction score
The one and only thing I think could use a change (was better before) is the option to have a limited map instead of an infinite one. I think Minecraft is heading in an interesting direction, and I look forward to each update. I just hope that in one update they'll give me the option of a limited map size.

Reactions: JKangaroo

Amorix

Reaction score
I'm reading all the complaints, and I just need to say this.
No one is MAKING you use enchanting or brewing. No one is making you fight the Enderdragon or invariably lose to the Wither. No one is making you find villages. In fact, most of these can be gotten rid of entirely simply by disabling generated structures. The only thing that's forced on you is hunger.
At the end of the day, most of these complaints stem from things you don't HAVE to use. Really, the only valid complaint I've seen in this topic is the hunger system. :/

Duffie

Reaction score
Website
I'm reading all the complaints, and I just need to say this.
No one is MAKING you use enchanting or brewing. No one is making you fight the Enderdragon or invariably lose to the Wither. No one is making you find villages. In fact, most of these can be gotten rid of entirely simply by disabling generated structures. The only thing that's forced on you is hunger.
At the end of the day, most of these complaints stem from things you don't HAVE to use. Really, the only valid complaint I've seen in this topic is the hunger system. :/
I'm sure they're talking SMP wise.

Vatumok

Former CA
Reaction score
roxaschao there is a difference between complaining and voicing your opinion in a thread about Minecraft changing. If people wanted to complain they would contact Mojang or constantly bug about it. As this is not the case it's simply not complaining - but explaining why we don't like the newer updates. It might not be a problem (the new features) but some of us just don't like the way Minecraft premium is going. Also, as Duffie said, these things may be important on SMP servers.

Pikmon2

Reaction score
1.5ß Is my favorite, and after that it got a bit worse, then 1.8ß just killed Minecraft. I still don't think MC will be able to recover from 1.8. ALSO TESTIFICATES WHY WHERE ARE OUR LOVELY PIGMEN VILLAGES?! This also reminds me that 1.8ß completely destroyed minecrafts atmosphere. It used be like "Your the only man alive". And pigmen were supposed to be cool destroyed villages and be strange to go with that feeling. Now its like "WHAT DO YOU MEAN LAST MAN ALIVE? THERES AN ENDLESS AMOUNT OF VILLAAAGGEERSSSSS. AND UGLY WITCHES OH MY -" Also the only creepy thing about mining now is bats coming out. Don't get me wrong though, I honestly really like what 1.4 added. But if it had the AI from current releases, and pistons, and added all of this to 1.5ß, then the game would be fantastic. Also there are a million other things they ruined but I've gone on long enough.

• Disagree
Reactions: JKangaroo

Jayfeather

Gay Magician
Donor
Reaction score
I'm probably just a raving nostalgiac - but I did enjoy Minecraft the most when it was in it's early Beta stages, 1.1-1.6 My only valid criticism is hunger - due to Jk's abysmally overwhelming amount of logic. I'm certain nothing will ever bring me back to hunting geo-caches on the treasure hunt server listening to Castle in the Sky and fighting mobs and just generally having all those good moments, but I'm sure that there will be times when I will come back and say, wow, I'm kindof having fun. The existence of hunger, sprinting, enchantments, ect. While not necessary, are rather hard to ignore and obviously don't appeal to me. Duffie is very much right though, this game got old slowly - for me it started to die just in the middle of Primordia. I'm sure my interest would've been much short lived had I not found Blocktopia. Anyways, that's just my 2 cents on it.

TL;DR I loved early Beta, Minecraft is occasionly fun to me, but has gotten pretty old for the people that started around when I did and earlier than that, and the "optional" new additives are a wee bit hard to ignore. (Also hunger sux so hard)

dogtownbreeds

Reaction score
I was the same.I use to think minecraft was stupid and that it was a waste of time, but them my brother convinced me to play on classic mineccraft( we didnt have full version).So, I found blocktopia, and started playing on it.I loved and thought it was fun, funny, and that it was a great place.So then i tried the demo and loved it.So between the fact that I really wanted minecraft the game and to play your full version, I decided to get it.Although I ended up buying it 3 times (Or 4), because of ..I have no clue really.So then I got full version and loved it <3. (Another factor was that I started watching UberHaxorNova play it).

• Old
Reactions: zezmi and Notme