Minecraft. You've changed, man.

IamGreg07

Reaction score
Gather round, children. Story time is upon us!

It was a cold September morning of 2010. Me and some friends were chilling out, maxing, relaxing all cool, and playing some football within the grounds of the school. Two of such friends were deeply emerged in a conversation; enough so to spark our interest. They were talking about their new favourite game, Minecraft.

'But what is Minecraft?', I asked.

'This game with skeletons and zombies and exploding cactus penises!!' was the response, in a confusing sense of glee. Naturally we went out our daily lives, often to make fun of the overenthusiastic Minecraft nerds and their talk of extranavent creations in this strange game.

But they never shut up about the bloody game so In January I just went and got it myself out of curiosity over what the fuss was all about. And damn, was it good! It was every element of the perfect sandbox. (This was in around the original 1.1/1.2, I can't speak of it from any earlier). It had just the right amount of content for what would be for anyone, and endless adventure made for any by you. I remember cowering in this 'lil dirt hut in my first night to building a beautiful mountainous house complete with a lava waterfall within a few weeks. I mined..I adventured....I had a forest of floating burning trees!

Then I joined Blocktopia and their classic/smp and the fun reached new heights as I was able to do all the same things but with friends! I remember first joining smp to a mass geo-caching (easily my favourite element of smp in general) and all of the amazing times I were to have In Lantern and Terragon. Raids, villages and building an illegal sky castle with Jub, etc.

The times, they were good, but the minecraft community was ever-expanding into what would become the demise of my pleasure, ultimately. There was mass hysteria over the huge new update about to be released, 1.8. This would bring many huge changed to the game such as ravines, a new hunger and exp system, and rangomly generated npc villages, strongholds and mineshafts. Everyone loved it, and at the time, myself included, but it wasn't to last.

Update after update came. The image was slowly changing. Minecraft was changing. The once simple but addicting sandbox game with no objective was turning into this meme-ravaged adventure game with a clusterfuck of content. With regards to content, most of it is, well, In my opinion terrible. There's thousands of mods out there, many of them genius ideas for the game that could have been implemented. We were instead given NPC villages and shitty out-of-place ravines. We were given giant walking fridges that kill all the mobs for us. We were given enchantments to make the wealthy and haxx0rz even more OP. The traditional systems such as health were given a complete makeover for the worst, and perhaps the most terrifying of all changes, the new fugly gravel texture.

I think most of these changes were unneccesary, to be honest. For me at least, they certainly killed the game for what is really the purpose of franchising and making money. Much like with what EA did to the sims franchise, they never really knew when to stop. This tends to kill a reputation of something from being loved by all to something completely different. Imagine if the TV series of Fawlty Towers had just kept going until it sucked. When you get to the end of the 2nd series, you're left wanting for more, and that's IMO where it should all end. But I digress.

I know I'm not with the majority on this; in fact I'm probably a minority, but I'm sure we can all agree to an extent. I think part of the reason classic minecraft remained popular for so long was it's simplicity, and I see it as the same thing here. This is by no means a leaving thread, rather, a mere rage/nostalgia thread. I'd be very interested to hear anyone else's opinions on this matter, since this community has a good spread of old and new players alike; feel free to leave a comment!

So I would like to thankyou for procrastinating from your homework long enough to read this thread. I know I did! ;)

Sploorky

Reaction score
That's the scariest picture I've ever seen.

While I'm definitely not an old premium minecraft player, I'm feeling the same way you are here with the updates. I haven't cared for any update I've seen, I don't think any of them added something cool or interesting, or kept with the original sandbox plan of minecraft. It really does seem more 'RPG' now, with focusing on enchantments, bosses, etc. What I think should be focused on are more blocks, different mobs, better landscapes. Just constantly improve the core factors of the game, while still retaining the old feeling of the game.

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
I was playing minecraft near enough when it first came out, in the alpha days. I loved it. It was so simple you could do anything. Now they have added too much stuff to do, and the game feels like a chore. I never play normal minecraft anymore, as I find it's boring. That is why I like blocktopia. Because they have unique servers, such as AoD. I love pvp, so it is perfect. AoD is the only reason I am still playing minecraft.
But don't get me wrong, the other servers are great too!

Agent2479

Born without a face
Reaction score
I started playing Premium SP during beta 1.2_02, and I'd have to say that 1.8 really killed the feel. But it was gradual. When B1.3 came, the shading was... odd, and when 1.5 showed up, the weather was overdone. But 1.8 turned minecraft from "Fun game where you build stuff and run from zombies and skellies" to "RPG ENCHANT GET LEVELZ!!!". I haven't played SP since that update.

• Winner
Reactions: Pikmon2

JKangaroo

Your Local, Neighborhood Marsupial
Reaction score
I must see Minecraft as an amazing building sim.
It is just one of those games that you just want to sink your teeth, time, and money into for a good ounce of fun and satisfaction to the end: especially when you see, and build amazing structures and constructs; and that can easily be seen by some amazing people in the whole of the Minecraft community.
Because of this ideal: I've never really cared for, or even kind of disliked all of the RPG elements being implemented over the course of Minecraft's lifespan, and this includes some of the mods you undoubtedly have seen, heard, or have even played before.

Honestly, despite my belief that Minecraft is more of a build sim, I've never really cared much for the premium aspect of the game. All through Indev, Alpha, Beta, and a majority of the released portion of the game, I've really never played it, and tended to get bored extremely quickly with the lack of things to do: both in Single, and Multi-player. This idea, at least for me, only stopped recently with my sudden addiction to our SMP server, and honestly: I must contribute a majority of that love from the many updates that Jeb, and the rest at Mojang have been putting together every week or so.

Truth be told, and I'm being frank here, I feel that many people are just too high off of nostalgia to really look at where Minecraft has been headed for quite awhile. It has undoubtedly have been shifting its course from a building outlook back in Classic, to now a more RPG standpoint. I even believe Mojang / Notch themselves even stated a while ago that they intended, or at least wanted to make Minecraft into a more RPG style. I think the implementation of an Adventure Mode, and the non-implementation of the Classic style into premium Minecraft until only recently, in my opinion, kind of backs of the idea of Minecraft turning more toward a RPG outlook. Of course, the statement by Notch / Mojang wanting it to be more of an RPG may be false, but that is what I remember from back in the early stages of Minecrafts development.

Through all of snapshots and updates that have added a lot of new aspects, items, and etc to the game, they have all seemingly have been well received and sometimes even praised by us: The Minecraft community. We enjoy, play, and experiment on the new content like we would with any other game that gives us new DLC, new expansions, or any other type of style that provides a new course of action, new quests, or etc.

But... What happens to that content that was so new and refreshing when it first came out, after such a period of time that the players have been able to experience and place as much thought and time into it as possible?
The content, despite what anyone says: inevitably becomes stale. People will get bored with it no matter what, and this includes any, and every game or pass-time out there.

I don't think Mojang is really only pushing out all this content to make money and to "franchise" Minecraft.
In fact, from what I have seen out of the gaming, and other communities as well, many people just take an easy outlook and want to blame the major corporations for implementing things they, as an individual, do not like. Though many people may share a similar ideal, a lot of the time developers and the people who created the game just want to expand upon their original basis, and try to improve upon the original formula.

Minecraft has, from Iv'e seen, kind of taken up a position that many MMO' games do: they provide new content to add onto the original to keep the game fresh, and continue to expand upon the original formula, and make the game better for the community as a whole.

I feel this is one of those situations, where if one thing did not happen, another would.
We've seen that, with all of this new content, many people kind of dislike it, and want the old Minecraft back.
Lets look at the other scenario:
What if Notch and Mojang let Minecraft in its original / older state back in Alpha / Beta without adding anything else onto Minecraft. Despite the large modding community, many people do not like or don't use mods, and they, and a large amount of the community, would just ask for more and more content out of Mojang to increase their enjoyment out of the game.

To put it short:
I just believe people are just getting bored of Minecraft in general or too nostalgic.
Every game gets this way.
But if the game never adds onto its previous accomplishments: the game being created / shaped, or even the game industry in general, will not expand or improve, as I feel Minecraft is trying to do.
I think I like the way Minecraft is headed, and hope Mojang continues adding more content to Minecraft.

I know I wasn't very specific and kind of rambled off a bit in this post, but I'll be more specific / answer if someone disagrees with a point I made. ;)

kayla0297

Reaction score
Whats scary is that I actually have homework in front of me to START. :p

I first started out playing classic, then my sister and I saw a few videos about the full game, and wanted to give it ago. Ended up buying it, and was all we would play for a few weeks. After those few weeks though, you get to the point where you've run out of interesting things to do. I've had the game for just less than a year, so I don't know what Alpha was like. I can however say that I have only ever used my server- and thats still pretty rarely, over the past 8 months.

I agree with you for just about everything you said, with all these pointless updates there is practically a goal set, instead of a free roaming and building world that I used to see it as.

• Agree
Reactions: DJJonosound

IamGreg07

Reaction score
JKangaroo

I do agree with a lot of what you say. It is true that, while the developers of the game will have their own ideas of which direction they want to take the game, that they won't be able to please everyone while doing so. People get mad and nostalgic because of what they're used to compared with all the new stuff that's been brought in.

But if you, considering all the mods that exist, and by looking at what people expected the game to be like judging how it was developing at the start, it's quite unexpected and dissapointing in many areas. For example, the NPC villages look terrible, the achievements were pretty pointless and few in number. In addition, their main source of feedback has been coming from an increasingly younger and less gamer-oriented playerbase. The ideas are just getting sillier. (like witches. Really?). They've also essentially changed the genre entirely, which speaks for itself.

I would have just kept updating the game in terms of bug fixes, adding blocks and adjusting biomes etc, and had it where if you wanted paticular content in the game, you could just specifically search out that mod for it (pretty much what Sploorky said).

Duffie

Reaction score
Website
duffieshirayuki.deviantart.com
I've been around since the Indev/Infdev times.

I've played Classic Zombie Survival for most of my first year.

After that, I went to SMP, which was the only one available.

Ever since then, I've stayed with SMP... Kind of.

I like the new updates that are coming out, to be honest. I can see the reasons as to why people like the older versions of MineCraft, but I could never go back to those times.

Sure, I get bored of MineCraft from time to time, but I get bored of most of my games from time to time.

MineCraft isn't a baby anymore. When it was, we were all looking at it, thinking it was awesome. Loving what it looked like. Thinking of what it could possibly end up being when it grows up.

It passed its "crawling-to-standing" stage, where it went from Survival Single-Player, to Survival-Multi-Player, to the lesser buggy Survival-Multi-Player. This stage is probably the most loved of the Premium MineCraft, or better known as, Alpha.

And as I said before, I'm fine with the updates. I enjoy watching and participating in the growth of games, which is why I'm always sad when they stop growing. ( Terraria. :c )

I can never go back to the earlier days. I tried doing that with MCNostalgia, going back to Indev, but I couldn't work with it. It was fun back then, but I've moved on to Premium.

So, my "vote" would be with "I'm fine with how MineCraft is now."

Yes, it has changed. May it have been for the better, or for worse, it has changed, indeed. But, I'm fine with it. :3

• Agree
Reactions: JKangaroo

Notme

Self-Aware Forum AI
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com
I found Minecraft right before Adventure Update.
It was 1.6.4 I think, I was playing singleplayer with mods - blowing millienaire villages with nukes was so fun!

Then I decided to try Classic - it was June - I was messing with singleplayer with lava.

Then I decided for experiment and try multiplayer servers, to try Lava servers, only [Blocktopia] Lava Survival was good enough to stay here. It was 17 June, month later I was Master already.

As new forums were up, I wanted Beta hard enough to draw attention of Araidian.
He managed to convince CaramelCow to buy giftcode for me. I paid 400 cookies for him, and from ~20 August I'm proud owner of Premium. Adventure Update was soon (1.7 was here)

21st October SMP and CMP got merged on 1.8.1 and created Primordia.
I knew what to do (I was n00b on SMP v3), so I joined Gaia, and in December moved to Dagon (I managed to quite synchronize it with getting Nobility and master Blacksmith.
So Adventure Update was under rule of Primordia.

Then came 1.2 - 256 block height and small fun premium servers.
And 1.3.2 - SSP/SMP Merge.
Recently LSMP came here - I already love it more than Primordia XD

So for me Minecraft always was fun game, even 1.8.1 kinda corrupted terrain generation and 1.2 fixed it.

10/10 would play Minecraft and Blocktopia again.

DaniNomsYou

Reaction score
I saw Minecraft being played for the very first time back some time in alpha, I believe? I don't remember what stage the game had been in at the time, which I think was around December of 2009 or 2010. I didn't actually play it for the first time until it was around Beta 1.3 or 1.4, and it wasn't actually mine until Beta 1.7.3. In the time between playing it and owning it, I read and reread pages on the Minecraft wiki to satisfy my want to play Beta. I roamed classic multiplayer servers, going on Lava Survivals and Builds (a few of which I somewhat frequented). Blocktopia Lava was the only one I really liked enough to stick around. I met some cool folks, and eventually came to the forums, where I learned about the SMP server, and I was dying to play. Heck, it was one of the first things I went to after I got premium.

Man was that SMP the best. I met more cool folks, and had a really great time. We never did get Shiz done (to be honest, projects I have any involvement in never seem to get finished orz), but that's okay, because I had a blast in the long run. Things were so much simpler back then, yet so much more extraordinary. The terrain was outstanding, and just walking around was fun, so long as you weren't killed in the process. Combat was pretty good when I didn't lag, and I'm sure we all miss arrow spamming and bows never breaking. Sure, I did have to delve into things such as Invedit when I wanted to build without having to gather anything, but I didn't mind. And sure, there was less shift-clicking support for things, less video options, and food didn't stack, and there was no enchanting or tool repairing, or sprinting, brewing or trading, but we never had it in the first place. There was nothing to miss. But now there is something to miss, and that's the simplicity we once knew in the days before the Adventure Update.

Quite honestly, I was psyched about 1.8 and Creative mode, and for a while after I was loving it. I grew bored eventually, though, and I still went back to my 1.7 jar on occasion. The newer the updates got, the less excited I seemed to be about them, and the faster they grew dull. The terrain slowly seemed to change from a vast, exciting chest of building blocks to explore, to a few photocopies of the same thing plastered all over the place.

I probably just have my head stuck up in the ass of the past; I do all the time with everything- TV shows that aren't on air anymore, old snacks that are no longer made, parts of my childhood, so on and so forth. I'm sure plenty of other people are just having a little nostalgic spark, too. But dangit, it's becoming an unfed flame as my interest in the current vanilla game slowly dwindles. Just writing this post is making me want to swap out my .minecraft folders and work on that village I started way back in 1.7. It seems like such a long time ago, yet only yesterday at the same time.

Overall, though, I guess I'm okay with all the new updates. It's not like it's impossible to go back and play the old versions we all know and love (for multiplayer, though... :ca). Sometimes, though, I wonder if they're adding content for the sake of adding content.

Also.
the new fugly gravel texture.
Am I the only one who thinks it looks like a grayscaled McDonald's chicken nugget?

Please.

Someone tell me I'm not the only one.

Regardless, though, it is hideous, I don't know what they were thinking (or drinking) when they made it.
This is a frightening, but excellent use of Nigel's head.

• Winner
Reactions: IamGreg07
Reaction score
I've been playing Minecraft since 1.7.3. There's another update coming and it's pretty big. There is going to be witches, new blocks and new items. There's new items like carrot on a stick, carrot, potato. New blocks like beacon block, cobblestone fence and mossy cobblestone fence. Also there's going to be new drops, for example, skeleton masks you get wear like pumpkins, creeper ones, zombie ones etc. Mobs can also go through portals as well. THe new update is going to change Minecraft alot. There's more information here: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Version_history/Development_versions

Duffie

Reaction score
Website
I've been playing Minecraft since 1.7.3. There's another update coming and it's pretty big. There is going to be witches, new blocks and new items. There's new items like carrot on a stick, carrot, potato. New blocks like beacon block, cobblestone fence and mossy cobblestone fence. Also there's going to be new drops, for example, skeleton masks you get wear like pumpkins, creeper ones, zombie ones etc. Mobs can also go through portals as well. THe new update is going to change Minecraft alot. There's more information here: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Version_history/Development_versions
Updates always change the game.

The biggest change that has ever happened to MineCraft is the update from Alpha to Beta.

Hunger was added; so was sprinting, critical jump hits, endermen, silverfish, The End, enchantments, alchemy, etc...

Things grow up, even if we don't want them to. I'm fine with the updates that come to MineCraft, even if the changes are big, or drastic, because I know I'll end up either enjoying it or go inactive with them.

If anything, our head-staff and super-awesome-server-people can make a 'Nostalgia server' if majority asks for it.

HarmakAnna

Reaction score
I've been with MC since the week Beta came out, and it was amazing. Me and my group of friends, both IRL and online, built towns, a floating base, farms, a city, we even built a giant cactus for the hell of it! We freaked out (in a positive way) about every update with things like wolves, the nether in SMP, beds, being able to get leaves without spawning them in, etc. It was amazing. Then I found BT and th' rest is history.

The server eventually shut down, but now I'm on an SMP server with only my IRL friends, only ones that are or have been notable in this community are EFC and Duderox. My experiences with MC have been great, so here are my 2 cents. So far, I've liked every change in building, the new blocks, bug fixes (Mojang still needs t' fix that one BIG one) and redstone. The things I don't like include the fact that MC has an ending now, weather, brewing, and offensive enchantments (and fortune), and more like this. They've broken th' game for me because it turned from that game where you have to watch your back every time when you stepped into a shallow cave or at night into that game where the only sense of danger is in the special areas (Nether fortresses, mineshafts, strongholds and the End) and leaving your door open at night. I haven't liked where the game has been goin', but I still like the game and am fine with today's things. Mainly because of building, though.

Tl;dr: Good memories, building features, and redstone keep me hooked t' the game despite th' incredible decrease in difficulty as soon as you get lots of iron. I prefer classic, anyway.

Riketr

Reaction score
In my opinion, Minecraft isn't being ruined all that much yet, but with the new block sounds coming in 1.4, I think Minecraft is going downhill.

I first played Minecraft without Premium in January 2011. In February-March 2011, I bought Premium with my birthday money. At that time, it was Beta 1.3_01. I thought it was much better than classic, but still played Classic. Eventually I found TNT and started playing on Blocktopia. The problem was, I didn't start playing the Premium servers until late Minecraft 1.2.5. Therefore, I missed out on 100% of Primordia. Even with all the cool stuff coming in 1.4, I think the new block sounds shouldn't have happened.

Yes, Minecraft IS changing, but in my opinion, it isn't changing enough to be considered to be changing dramatically.

Riketr

Reaction score
Unless you look at the big picture, from how it first was in Alpha, to now.

But, that's a really big scale. :p
You're right. But by dramatic I mean as in, imagine if only about 15% of Minecraft users still played Minecraft because it went downhill so bad I would call it "going down the mountain." (get it? :roflmao: )

Duffie

Reaction score
Website
You're right. But by dramatic I mean as in, imagine if only about 15% of Minecraft users still played Minecraft because it went downhill so bad I would call it "going down the mountain." (get it? :roflmao: )
... :p

Even so, I don't think Minecraft will ever lose its fan-base. Minecraft was famous, is famous, and is going to be famous for quite some time.

BurnyBurn

Reaction score
Haven't played since last year when the "full" game came out. But I've recently started getting back into it and it's just as fun as ever.

HOWEVER there are some things that bother me immensely.

1. The first thing being potions. Since it came out I haven't even created a single potion or tried to make one. Good idea, way to complicated. I'd prefer if potions were just random drops instead of craftable

2. The second thing is I love the jungle biome. It feels as though it's alive with big ass trees etc. I don't like ocelots though. They should've added another animal tbh. Cats are pretty useless.

3. I'm also glad you can control saddled pigs now (though I haven't found a carrot yet.)

4. The leveling system makes no sense to me. I don't understand what it does, nor do I care.

5. Also another thing I'd like to add is that some MAJOR glitches are still not fixed. How can Minecraft claim to be a complete game when I still have to suffer the stupid inventory glitch?

6. I agree, everythings become way to complicated for my liking. Instead of cheap gimmicks I would have preferred new mobs and animals instead.

7. The Nether. Oh lawdy I don't even know what's going on there anymore.

8. I still don't like the villagers because they are goofy looking BUT AT LEAST THEY HAVE A PURPOSE NOW. Although I think trading is way unbalanced and overpriced.