Let's Talk, Seriously.

Cheeseman21

Das CheesePuff
Reaction score
My apologies Cheeseman21, I was receiving things where people weren't taking my request seriously, and were cussing in my face because of my point of view. I am very much concerned about this community, which is why my posts have been very deep. Sorry if I snapped at you, I just hate being compared to Hitler.
Whats your request, I have been not on the forums for years

parquette

Reaction score
Oh! In that case, welcome back man!!! :D
My request in this thread was that there has been a lot of sexual talk seeping into the forums and on the server chat in the past year or 2. In the original terms and conditions (as of 2014 at least), it stated that "religious/political and sexual talk is prohibited" if I recall correctly. I was asking that we respect those terms and bring back the classic attitude of Blocktopia.

Cheeseman21

Das CheesePuff
Reaction score
Oh! In that case, welcome back man!!! :D
My request in this thread was that there has been a lot of sexual talk seeping into the forums and on the server chat in the past year or 2. In the original terms and conditions (as of 2014 at least), it stated that "religious/political and sexual talk is prohibited" if I recall correctly. I was asking that we respect those terms and bring back the classic attitude of Blocktopia.
Fam, I hate to break it to you but that rule only applied when it was like ERP or blatant trolling, the blocktopia you are "remembering" never existed pham.

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
parquette

Really long post incoming, probably best for everyone else just to read the TL;DR in bold if you want, but I wanted to really hammer my point home to parquette so I went on a bit.

Sorry for yet another not-completely-on-topic post, but I just want to try to put into words what I think most people want you to understand so that maybe we can end this discussion once and for all and move on.

I think it's great that you're trying to help the community and that you are fighting for what you believe in, but it seems that your view on things are not shared by the majority of the community. What you view as excessive swearing and inappropriate sexual talk isn't viewed in the same light as most others, which is why people aren't agreeing with you. I can understand why you'd be annoyed because from your point of view, you see something clearly wrong and are fighting to stop it for the benefit of the community, but I think the morals you hold are rare and it just isn't reasonable to ask the whole community to act in a restricted way because of one member finding what they do distasteful. Majority will rule because the majority is what makes up the community. Perhaps some people may respect that you find such talk offensive and may even try to politely hold off from swearing or talking about sexual topics when you're around, but other than that, I'm afraid your views, whilst solid and clearly in the right from your perspective, are disagreed with by others. So you're not a bad/stupid person, you just hold an opinion that is not shared, and so will not likely be acted upon because the freedom of being able to discuss certain topics and express thoughts with swearing is something the majority of people here enjoy and don't deem as excessive, and aren't willing to tone it down because of one person having a view against it.

Hopefully this acts as the final post to end the discussion once and for all, not because you're wrong and shouldn't voice your opinion, but just because your opinion isn't shared. If one person in the community strongly believed we shouldn't share photos on the photo thread because they found it distasteful or dangerous or something (bad example sorry), and everyone else disagreed and enjoyed sharing photos, it would be equally unreasonable to suddenly close the photo thread.

So yeah, I personally respect you for voicing your opinion in the aim of bettering the community, but it seems that in this case, what you view as bettering the community, and what you view as off-putting, is not shared with many others or the majority of the internet. So whilst you may join a community and be disgusted by the use of 'excessive' swearing, most others will not be fazed and will not see it as excessive at all. Or, at least, most other gamers, who are likely accustomed to seeing swearing and/or sexual talk in-game or in YouTube comments of their favourite let's-players or something, and therefore not bothered by it. Sure, when it really does get excessive or when people start discussing topics deemed by the majority of people as distasteful, action should be taken, but what you view as 'too much' and what needs to be 'toned down' is not the same as most others.

I don't know what you remember as the community being like before, because I have a terrible memory, but even if things have changed, that is because the bulk of the community has, and therefore are going to act differently and the rules of what is deemed as inappropriate for the community will change too. ANOTHER BAD METAPHOR/EXAMPLE: If a group of stereotypical 10 year olds start a club, they might make a rule "no talking about girls." When they become adults and are still in the club, this rule will most likely have been changed. Whilst this means no 10 year olds would want to join the club any more and they'd be having adults want to join instead, if they didn't change the rule, the adults might all decide to leave the club and it would be empty. Not that this argument is about your views being too young, but if you are right and the community has changed, maybe it's best to let it and not try to keep it as what it was, because as a community we aren't a stagnant thing where new people are flowing in all the time and old people leave, we are a group who have stuck together throughout the years, and when the group changes, so will the community. Just as we've changed from a Minecraft only community to a community with TTT, we need to adapt to the opinions of the majority of who is here. And besides, like I said earlier, the views shared by the majority of the community seem to be shared by the bulk of the internet, so it shouldn't cause an issue anyway. And if cheese is right and you are imagining a distorted view of what the community used to be like, and we were always like this, this whole paragraph can be dismissed.

Sorry for posting another kind of off-topic post but hopefully this can be the end of the debate now that I think I've put into one post the general views toward the situation. TL;DR what you see as excessive and distasteful is not what most others think is. What you think should be toned down, most others don't agree with nor want to happen, so it shouldn't have to.

As for the original intention of the thread, just so everyone knows (although I imagine most do), Mastersten has set-up a couple of staff meetings to properly discuss the community and its issues/direction.

And regarding the idea of splitting the forum up, in my opinion it won't work well just because the small amount of people who would be more comfortable in the 13- (or whatever you want to call it) side of the forums would feel restricted in what discussions they can be apart of just because they don't want to be exposed to certain language and don't want to venture into the other part of the forum. I think it would cause even more divide in the community. Just my thoughts though.

parquette

Reaction score
parquette

Really long post incoming, probably best for everyone else just to read the TL;DR in bold if you want, but I wanted to really hammer my point home to parquette so I went on a bit.

Sorry for yet another not-completely-on-topic post, but I just want to try to put into words what I think most people want you to understand so that maybe we can end this discussion once and for all and move on.

I think it's great that you're trying to help the community and that you are fighting for what you believe in, but it seems that your view on things are not shared by the majority of the community. What you view as excessive swearing and inappropriate sexual talk isn't viewed in the same light as most others, which is why people aren't agreeing with you. I can understand why you'd be annoyed because from your point of view, you see something clearly wrong and are fighting to stop it for the benefit of the community, but I think the morals you hold are rare and it just isn't reasonable to ask the whole community to act in a restricted way because of one member finding what they do distasteful. Majority will rule because the majority is what makes up the community. Perhaps some people may respect that you find such talk offensive and may even try to politely hold off from swearing or talking about sexual topics when you're around, but other than that, I'm afraid your views, whilst solid and clearly in the right from your perspective, are disagreed with by others. So you're not a bad/stupid person, you just hold an opinion that is not shared, and so will not likely be acted upon because the freedom of being able to discuss certain topics and express thoughts with swearing is something the majority of people here enjoy and don't deem as excessive, and aren't willing to tone it down because of one person having a view against it.

Hopefully this acts as the final post to end the discussion once and for all, not because you're wrong and shouldn't voice your opinion, but just because your opinion isn't shared. If one person in the community strongly believed we shouldn't share photos on the photo thread because they found it distasteful or dangerous or something (bad example sorry), and everyone else disagreed and enjoyed sharing photos, it would be equally unreasonable to suddenly close the photo thread.

So yeah, I personally respect you for voicing your opinion in the aim of bettering the community, but it seems that in this case, what you view as bettering the community, and what you view as off-putting, is not shared with many others or the majority of the internet. So whilst you may join a community and be disgusted by the use of 'excessive' swearing, most others will not be fazed and will not see it as excessive at all. Or, at least, most other gamers, who are likely accustomed to seeing swearing and/or sexual talk in-game or in YouTube comments of their favourite let's-players or something, and therefore not bothered by it. Sure, when it really does get excessive or when people start discussing topics deemed by the majority of people as distasteful, action should be taken, but what you view as 'too much' and what needs to be 'toned down' is not the same as most others.

I don't know what you remember as the community being like before, because I have a terrible memory, but even if things have changed, that is because the bulk of the community has, and therefore are going to act differently and the rules of what is deemed as inappropriate for the community will change too. ANOTHER BAD METAPHOR/EXAMPLE: If a group of stereotypical 10 year olds start a club, they might make a rule "no talking about girls." When they become adults and are still in the club, this rule will most likely have been changed. Whilst this means no 10 year olds would want to join the club any more and they'd be having adults want to join instead, if they didn't change the rule, the adults might all decide to leave the club and it would be empty. Not that this argument is about your views being too young, but if you are right and the community has changed, maybe it's best to let it and not try to keep it as what it was, because as a community we aren't a stagnant thing where new people are flowing in all the time and old people leave, we are a group who have stuck together throughout the years, and when the group changes, so will the community. Just as we've changed from a Minecraft only community to a community with TTT, we need to adapt to the opinions of the majority of who is here. And besides, like I said earlier, the views shared by the majority of the community seem to be shared by the bulk of the internet, so it shouldn't cause an issue anyway. And if cheese is right and you are imagining a distorted view of what the community used to be like, and we were always like this, this whole paragraph can be dismissed.

Sorry for posting another kind of off-topic post but hopefully this can be the end of the debate now that I think I've put into one post the general views toward the situation. TL;DR what you see as excessive and distasteful is not what most others think is. What you think should be toned down, most others don't agree with nor want to happen, so it shouldn't have to.

As for the original intention of the thread, just so everyone knows (although I imagine most do), Mastersten has set-up a couple of staff meetings to properly discuss the community and its issues/direction.

And regarding the idea of splitting the forum up, in my opinion it won't work well just because the small amount of people who would be more comfortable in the 13- (or whatever you want to call it) side of the forums would feel restricted in what discussions they can be apart of just because they don't want to be exposed to certain language and don't want to venture into the other part of the forum. I think it would cause even more divide in the community. Just my thoughts though.
Thank you for writing this in a gentlemanly and respectful manner, you don't know how much I appreciate that. I do apologize if it seemed like I was shoving it down everyone's throats. As to my very first post in this thread, I wasn't trying to direct it towards the cussing factor, I was just using the f word as an example to make a point about the sexual talk issue. But I see now that I have carried this a little far in mentioning it more than once now, so I do apologize for the post looking forceful. I don't wish to force anyone into believing my morals, my only intent was that they consider it. I think now everyone has thought about this factor, and I need not say anymore about it. I also apologize if I have made enemies on this community because of that. I don't want to upset this place at all. Even though I still stand by my own moral points, I won't yell at anyone, nor say to them "AGREE WITH ME!!!" and all that sort of thing xD

My thoughts exactly on the division of the community, it was very well said. I can't believe it was so hard for me to get the right words out on that xD

And btw, who're ya callin' old? ;)

Last edited: