Inspired by CandyBox... A Dark Room

Duffie

Reaction score
Website
duffieshirayuki.deviantart.com
They are just boring to me. As someone who makes games, these games just seem bad. Theres not a lot of work put into them, and sure, people can have fun with them, but a trend of these games = a bunch of lazily made (Not saying the original CandyBox was exactly.) knock-offs of a game that got popular that are made to get more fans. I'd say they could improve with graphics (Not 3D stuff, just simple graphics), and more intriguing things to do then something like "throw candy on ground. make lollipop. give candy to orphan (beats me if that happens, but you get the point.)"

( I would say this game took more effort though, and makes more sense. Still, ugly to look at it constantly, and is still boring.)
Hm... I suppose everyone has their opinions.

Honestly, I've always been the type of person who didn't care about graphics. Sure, it can make things look nice, but it's not needed. I blame having an outdated computer for my feelings, unable to actually play games with great graphics, or even decent graphics, without the computer lagging to hell.

As I said, everyone has their opinion, and you are entitled to yours. I respect your opinion, but... I can't say I saw it coming. o. o

Pikmon2

Reaction score
They are just boring to me. As someone who makes games, these games just seem bad. Theres not a lot of work put into them, and sure, people can have fun with them, but a trend of these games = a bunch of lazily made (Not saying the original CandyBox was exactly.) knock-offs of a game that got popular that are made to get more fans. I'd say they could improve with graphics (Not 3D stuff, just simple graphics), and more intriguing things to do then something like "throw candy on ground. make lollipop. give candy to orphan (beats me if that happens, but you get the point.)"

( I would say this game took more effort though, and makes more sense. Still, ugly to look at it constantly, and is still boring.)
Honestly, I've always been the type of person who didn't care about graphics.

To clarify what I said about graphics, I meant even simple ASCII or something. Just something else then a white screen with text.

Reaction score
To clarify what I said about graphics, I meant even simple ASCII or something. Just something else then a white screen with text.
By this comment I can tell that you haven't played either game properly. If you play more than say 15 minutes you will see that both games (and especially this one after you buy the compass) change dramatically and continuously evolve. A dark room does later on have many ASCII graphics and cool animations.

I understand that waiting for the "real game to start" might take too long for you, but I can assure you that your analysis was unfair to this new genre. You haven't given them or a chance, or actually played them properly!

(Not trying to be rude, just throwing in my two cents and possibly convincing you to give this game another shot!)

• Informative
Reactions: Duffie and Pikmon2

Pikmon2

Reaction score
A dark room does later on have many ASCII graphics and cool animations.

Oh. Sorry about that bit then.

I'm usually the person to say "Play a game for 20 minutes or 30, and if it isn't good by that point, drop it", but in this case its different. It doesn't show any promise in the start, just throw a candy on the ground, or keep it (CandyBox). This game I can see some promise in it, but apparently it get continuously worse as it goes on. A game I use as an example a lot is Okami-Den. It shows a lot of promise with what it can have, yet has a weak start. But seeing almost all of the game, it gets VERY good, and what it promised comes true. In games like this I don't see much promise when all I do I select which candy I should keep throw. Again, This game seems better, and I'll play it a bit more, but still, its a white screen with text and some effects (Maybe the ASCII is cool, I'll see.)

EDIT:

Oddly, after playing it more, it just lost its promising features. It seems like bad RPing with stuff like (shortening) "Stranger walks in. Stranger collapses. Suddenly she's up and talking says she can help and now she has strength to build things." What. Also, Why do I have to wait looking at a loading bar for collecting wood? If it was instant it'd make more sense, because who wants to wait for a bar to go down? Maybe I'm being to harsh, but meh. Things just seem way to far fetched, not in a "Its a game. Its gonna be far fetched." way, but in way where you know its trying to be realisticish and serious, and then doesn't make any sense with what it does. Sorry if I sound like I'm trying to be Mr. Negative, just saying how I feel so far.

Nottykitten

Nomnomnom kitteh!
Reaction score
Why do I have to wait looking at a loading bar for collecting wood? If it was instant it'd make more sense, because who wants to wait for a bar to go down? Maybe I'm being to harsh, but meh. Things just seem way to far fetched, not in a "Its a game. Its gonna be far fetched." way, but in way where you know its trying to be realisticish and serious, and then doesn't make any sense with what it does.
One does not simply collect wood in an instant. In real life it takes time to to collect wood and bring it back tot he storage room. Thats why theres a loading bar.

But I do agree a bit, the late-game is way less fun than the start.

• Agree
Reactions: Notme

Sephhh

Supermegauber Foxy Fox!
Reaction score
Website
blocktopia.net
Oh you don't know how fun it is to progress through stuff! I also have a ship already, dunno what it would do in the future, but I think I've already walked through the whole map, so I might be going to sail away now.

I think it became more fun when I was able to get new stuff already. It also kills my time :p
I just had to say this, but those soldiers are so damn annoying. Especially the one with 65 hearts, ugh

Edit:

The darn ending was bad. I thought everyone would die and so, but apparently you are an alien.. that's weird.

• Agree
Reactions: UltimateBudgie

Pikmon2

Reaction score
Why do I have to wait looking at a loading bar for collecting wood? If it was instant it'd make more sense, because who wants to wait for a bar to go down? Maybe I'm being to harsh, but meh. Things just seem way to far fetched, not in a "Its a game. Its gonna be far fetched." way, but in way where you know its trying to be realisticish and serious, and then doesn't make any sense with what it does.
One does not simply collect wood in an instant. In real life it takes time to to collect wood and bring it back tot he storage room. Thats why theres a loading bar.

But I do agree a bit, the late-game is way less fun than the start.
In real life, your collecting the wood. In the game, your staring at a bar load the wood.

Duffie

Reaction score
Website
In real life, your collecting the wood. In the game, your staring at a bar load the wood.
I'm sorry, but it hurts me to read your posts...

It's not all about realism. The game is supposed to be simplistic, especially near the beginning. Not all games are trying to be just like real life.

I'm sorry if this game is not for you, but apparently it's not indeed. :l

Pikmon2

Reaction score
It's not all about realism. The game is supposed to be simplistic, especially near the beginning. Not all games are trying to be just like real life.

You misunderstood what I wrote ;P

What I meant was in real life, or minecraft, or games where you collect wood, you go out and do stuff to collect it, not stare at a loading bar just waiting.

Duffie

Reaction score
Website
You misunderstood what I wrote ;P

What I meant was in real life, or minecraft, or games where you collect wood, you go out and do stuff to collect it, not stare at a loading bar just waiting.
And I think you misunderstood what I wrote. :p

It's how the game's played out, especially toward the beginning. You rely on that part of the game, but you end up doing more than just waiting for a bar to load.

K1ngHoward

SMP Vetop
Donor
Reaction score
Website
myanimelist.net
Enemies beware, i can dual wield :3
Love this game. One thing that could be improved is the placement the items
example: have the cured meat sitting under the normal meat; iron and steel ordered near each other.
It is difficult to find your amount of items when the items are located randomly in the storehouse

K1ngHoward

SMP Vetop
Donor
Reaction score
Website
myanimelist.net
People are still playing this? I beat it in one day lul. I personally think Candybox was much better.
I just found out about it today from Nerd^3's "Three Free Games Friday." Just finished it right at this moment :3
Edit:
True, "Candybox" did last a lot longer and somewhat required a strategy for each new level. This only took me less than 12 hours unlike "Candybox" which took a week or more xD