[Game Over] Just Your Average Mafia Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alisha

Mafia Host
Mafia Mod
Reaction score
well the whole 'would stranger buddy alisha' had nothing to do with me changing my mind on her, I was just answering your question about if I could see a scenario where she buddied you

I scumread stranger since it was how I felt, I wasn't sure why I felt that way though, but I was trying to mull over it to figure it out

Then I changed my mind since I realized scumreading her didn't have logic to it and my feelings about her being townie before returned

Looking back, I think I originally felt she was scum after you claimed cop because part of why I town read her was because I thought (a) you were mafia and (b) you and stranger aren't likely to both be mafia and (c) stranger isn't sk, so therefore stranger would be town. So then when you turned town, stranger was allowed to be mafia again, and I think that's where my feeling came from

Then I mulled it over to try to understand why I felt that way and realized I couldn't find any logic for it, and as I realized that, my feelings of her being town returned to me
That sounds very confusing to work out in your head which is why i reluctantly must townread you for now

• Haha
Reactions: Infected_alien8_

HKCaper

Almighty Goat
Reaction score
mhm something that caught my eye just now is the obvious thing going on between tim and inf.

however, the root seems to be where inffy voted sessy quite early on, who then gave like a quick response along the lines of 'oh no im being voted inf might be scum'. Then Tim a bit later joined that vote, after which inffy immediatelly swapped votes to tim while saying something like 'oh no i see a tunnel comming'. Moreover, sessy hasnt checked in since. Something interesting might be there, but i am interested what tomorow brings mostly. I don't mind a lynch, but alisha mentioned a no lynch, which ive sorta softened up to playing on discord.

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
mhm something that caught my eye just now is the obvious thing going on between tim and inf.

however, the root seems to be where inffy voted sessy quite early on, who then gave like a quick response along the lines of 'oh no im being voted inf might be scum'. Then Tim a bit later joined that vote, after which inffy immediatelly swapped votes to tim while saying something like 'oh no i see a tunnel comming'. Moreover, sessy hasnt checked in since. Something interesting might be there, but i am interested what tomorow brings mostly. I don't mind a lynch, but alisha mentioned a no lynch, which ive sorta softened up to playing on discord.
no lynching is bad in this setup

Timdood3

Mafia Host
Reaction score
Suddenly tim thinks I'm mafia again because my 'relentlessness does not speak well to' him, conveniently after seeing 3 people seem slightly ok with lynching me. Idk, I feel like tim knows I can be pretty relentless as town, so I don't buy that this is a genuine change of heart here and it seems more like 'oh inf is still mislynchable, I'll change my mind again'

Oh and another thing that keeps bothering me (that is probably just confirmation bias but I'll share it anyway in case someone else can see it too) is how he responds when he's suspected. It feels like he's putting a lot of effort into not stepping onto any toes with his responses, to the point where it seems out of character for townie tim.
I'm going back and forth on you because I feel like you're coming from a good place, but your refusal to even consider the fact that you may be barking up the wrong tree is what keeps telling me you may be scum. Frankly, I'm torn. I'm not sure what to think, and how I feel about you is changing with like every other post. And my flipping is not influenced by anyone else's opinions of you because frankly, I haven't re

And yeah. Of course I'm trying not to step on any toes I always try to avoid stepping on toes. The only time I get aggressive is when I'm confident. Mind you, I've often ended up being wrong when I'm confident, but that's not the point here.
This is where I first got the impression he was being cautious not to step on my toes but I didn't say anything at the time since I was aware I was probably just confirmation biasing but again I'm just gonna throw it out there. I think town tim would instead say "What seems fake about it? Surely it's more substantial than gut feelings.' or something (only a tiny difference word-wise but changes the feel of the post a whole lot to me - the way he posted it feels like he's not wanting to get into an argument with me at all since he's scared of getting too much attention, which I don't think he'd be scared of as town)

And his response later on when he talked about him being nervous and thinking I'm town felt like he was doing his best to avoid a scuffle with me as well, rather than trying to genuinely pick apart my read and see if I was town or not
Town tim would say "It's much more substantial than a "gut feeling" vote, wouldn't you think?" to sound accusatory, implying that my reason to vote is stronger than yours. If anything it's more confrontational, not less.
The level of OMGUS in this post is too damn high. This isn't a level of defensiveness id expect from Tim. Also, it's worth noting he never voted himself at the start of this game, which he also forgot to do the last time he was mafia.

Vote Timdoood3
Didn't I vote myself the last time I was mafia? I can't remember that long ago. I forgot since it's been fucking ages since I've played mafia. On a more serious point, I don't buy your reason for voting me at all. Is my suspicion on inf a little omgus? Maybe. But to say that you wouldn't expect me to be this defensive? You may need to refresh your memory, I'm always this defensive.
if Tim does flip scum I'd be more inclined to believe you're town.
And this part. This screams to me "I know tim is town, but I'm gonna throw the "if" in there to cover for myself. In setup with this much risk, voting someone on day zero that you aren't confident is mafia is suicide [as town]. And based on this statement, you certainly don't seem confident.

Unvote
Vote Stranger

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Town tim would say "It's much more substantial than a "gut feeling" vote, wouldn't you think?" to sound accusatory, implying that my reason to vote is stronger than yours. If anything it's more confrontational, not less.
To me, making it a question is less confrontational - it's like, 'wouldn't you agree?' vs 'but this is how it is', it's more buttery if that makes sense

And this part. This screams to me "I know tim is town, but I'm gonna throw the "if" in there to cover for myself. In setup with this much risk, voting someone on day zero that you aren't confident is mafia is suicide [as town]. And based on this statement, you certainly don't seem confident.

Unvote
Vote Stranger
I don't buy this read either. I don't think town tim would find stranger saying 'if' in regard to your alignment suspicious because it's fair enough to say 'if' because nobody knows for sure what alignment you are, no matter how confident they are, and I don't think the word 'if' necessarily means that person is super under confident in their vote, and I think you'd agree with that as town.

Timdood3

Mafia Host
Reaction score
To me, making it a question is less confrontational - it's like, 'wouldn't you agree?' vs 'but this is how it is', it's more buttery if that makes sense

I don't buy this read either. I don't think town tim would find stranger saying 'if' in regard to your alignment suspicious because it's fair enough to say 'if' because nobody knows for sure what alignment you are, no matter how confident they are, and I don't think the word 'if' necessarily means that person is super under confident in their vote, and I think you'd agree with that as town.
You keep saying "I don't think this is what you would do as town," but you clearly need to adjust your idea of what you think I would do because I am town.

Do you or do you not agree that in this setup it is dangerous to vote someone that you aren't confident on?

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
And yeah. Of course I'm trying not to step on any toes I always try to avoid stepping on toes. The only time I get aggressive is when I'm confident. Mind you, I've often ended up being wrong when I'm confident, but that's not the point here.
(and from memory you aren't as desperate not to step on toes as town compared to this. you're always polite yeah but this is different, again not sure how to explain properly, it's just an impression that you're carefully wording your posts for the specific intent to avoid getting into an argument, whereas as town you're fine to get into an argument because you know you're town and can defend your ideas because they're coming from a genuine place, but here you're being overly cautious not to get any attention)

Stranger from Myst Island

Mafia Host
Reaction score
Didn't I vote myself the last time I was mafia? I can't remember that long ago. I forgot since it's been fucking ages since I've played mafia. On a more serious point, I don't buy your reason for voting me at all. Is my suspicion on inf a little omgus? Maybe. But to say that you wouldn't expect me to be this defensive? You may need to refresh your memory, I'm always this defensive.

Unvote
Vote Stranger
The last time you were mafia was Lasagne Mafia and you didn't vote yourself in that game. In Timeline of Dichotmous Flowers, you stated that you were nervous because it was your first time playing as mafia.

Furthermore, you're acting like you're incredibly nervous now. First off, you are coming across as extremely confrontational in your posts responding to early suspicions on you. Secondly, you've only posted reads on sessybessy, Inffy and myself, which leads me to believe you don't want to open yourself up to more cross-examination from your reads, especially so if said reads are faked.

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
You keep saying "I don't think this is what you would do as town," but you clearly need to adjust your idea of what you think I would do because I am town.
Maybe, but I don't know that

Do you or do you not agree that in this setup it is dangerous to vote someone that you aren't confident on?
I think it's more dangerous to not vote at all for the reason I said earlier. It's better to lynch your top suspect than nolynch even if the top suspect is someone you're not confident on imo. But even if you disagree, I don't think using the word 'if' when referring to your alignment is an indication that the person isn't confident about your flip, it just means they're being reasonable in understanding that you might flip either way. If they said 'when tim flips scum' it'd have been much more concerning to me, and I think you'd have the same opinion as me on that if you were town.

Timdood3

Mafia Host
Reaction score
(and from memory you aren't as desperate not to step on toes as town compared to this. you're always polite yeah but this is different, again not sure how to explain properly, it's just an impression that you're carefully wording your posts for the specific intent to avoid getting into an argument, whereas as town you're fine to get into an argument because you know you're town and can defend your ideas because they're coming from a genuine place, but here you're being overly cautious not to get any attention)
I'm fine getting into an argument in this game, clearly, or I wouldn't be.
The last time you were mafia was Lasagne Mafia and you didn't vote yourself in that game. In Timeline of Dichotmous Flowers, you stated that you were nervous because it was your first time playing as mafia.

Furthermore, you're acting like you're incredibly nervous now. First off, you are coming across as extremely confrontational in your posts responding to early suspicions on you. Secondly, you've only posted reads on sessybessy, Inffy and myself, which leads me to believe you don't want to open yourself up to more cross-examination from your reads, especially so if said reads are faked.
My nervousness is long gone. I was nervous getting back into the swing of the game. Think of it like walking into a familiar place, but everyone is milling around awkwardly, unsure of what to be doing. That's basically the feeling I had at the beginning of the game.

I'd also like to address the fact that you saying I'm being really confrontational (isn't that mutually exclusive from being overly defensive like you were saying earlier? ?) while inf is saying I'm trying too hard to avoid confrontation. Which is it?
And I posted a short reads list because frankly, I have no other reads. Without the ability to filter posts by user, it's really hard for me to go back and analyze one person at a time.

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
I'm fine getting into an argument in this game, clearly, or I wouldn't be.
You've kind of been forced into one now though because you're being voted and accused a lot. Before, when there was a chance you wouldn't need to defend yourself this much, you seemed to be putting effort into not getting into a head-on disagreement.

I'd also like to address the fact that you saying I'm being really confrontational (isn't that mutually exclusive from being overly defensive like you were saying earlier? ?) while inf is saying I'm trying too hard to avoid confrontation. Which is it?
Different reasons for each of us I guess. I personally don't think you've being overly confrontational, I think you're just defending yourself

And I posted a short reads list because frankly, I have no other reads. Without the ability to filter posts by user, it's really hard for me to go back and analyze one person at a time.
The only solution I have is to click on people's profile pages and go through their posts that way but some people have their profile on private so it won't work for everyone I don't think (unless nobody in this game has it on private)

Status
Not open for further replies.