DayZ Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Malcovent

Geezuslike
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
“The living dead had taken more from us than land and loved ones. They'd robbed us of our confidence as the planet's dominant life form. We were a shaken, broken species, driven to the edge of extinction and grateful only for tomorrow with perhaps a little less suffering than today. Was this the legacy we would leave our children, a level of anxiety and self-doubt not seen since our simian ancestors cowered in the tallest trees? What kind of world would they rebuild? Would they rebuild at all? Could they continue to progress, knowing that they would be powerless to reclaim their future? And what if that future saw another rise of the living dead? Would our descendants rise to meet them in battle, or simply crumple in meek surrender and accept what they believe to be their inevitable extinction? For this alone, we had to reclaim our planet. We had to prove to ourselves that we could do it, and leave that proof as this war's greatest monument. The long, hard road back to humanity, or the regressive ennui of Earth's once-proud primates. That was the choice, and it had to be made now.”
― Max Brooks, World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War"

About
DayZ is a non-official mod for the realistic battle simulator Arma 2, that, since it's release, has turned Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead into one of the fastest selling steam games, - this hardcore extreme zombie survival mod, combined with the fact that Arma 2 is the most realistic military simulator to date, has created arguably one of the most horrific and realistic experiences of survival in a zombie infested world, with 225km^2 of land to explore, with often more than 700 zombies roaming about - and a number of other players who are more than happy to backstab you for your items.

It is your job to scavenge, survive - feed yourself, drink, gather medical supplies and weapons and do as you wish. Either forming a party of survivors to endure the onslaught, or becoming a bandit who picks off the corpses of murdered survivors.

Requires Arma 2 and Operation Arrowhead Expansion

Media

Resources
DayZ Homepage
Steam store for combined Ops (needed for mod)
Interactive Map (for those of you interested, right click for co-ords, Me, Iguana and hopefully soon san00b = all meeting up at a barn at 49.54, -150.08/i]

Reactions: Nazza1

Malcovent

Geezuslike
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
Doublepost.

Personal Experiences so far -

On my second playthrough, I went to a barn to fill my water bottle back up at a pump/faucet kinda deal, went into the barn to scavenge. Found a tin of pasta and a lee enfield rifle (useless ingame, too loud. attracts neighbours). Kill a few zombies to get in, go upto the top of the barn. On the stairs down, as i turn around - theres a bandit with an Makarov raised aiming at my head. I suddenly go to crouch as he fires, causing him to clip (what must of been my shoulder). Drop to prone, roll to one side and promptly empty an entire clip into his head - picked his corpse for a nice amount of water/food/bandages and some morphine.

Another playthrough - it was pitch black (and i mean pitch. not a single light) in this city, i throw up a road flare to light up the area for a bit. Another player in the city then throws up his, He agrees to let me in as long as i don't aim my weapon towards him, we agree.

Spent a good few minutes up there talking/befriending him, saw another flare in the distance - went to find it but by the time i got there they'd long gone, on the way back i got swamped by zombies and killed V_V never managed to return to the guy on the roof.

Currently is my best try - after making half an hours headway for the city of Chernogorsk, i then returned to Komarovo to meet iguana (looting a winchester rifle from the Landebahn airbase along the way - A LOT of corpses there, looked like a showdown went on). A guy named "bullet" decided to stalk me back to Komarovo where me and iguana dispatched him, before sneaking away from another 2 players. Currently we're planning to hold down in a barn up to the north and search nearby deer nests for weapons/etc., as well as rendezvous with san00b.
Hard to get into servers - but REALLY good game.

LISTINGS09

Ain't afraid of no ghost
Reaction score
Website
www.4thdp.com
Spent too much time playing this, fighting the good fight and shooting every single bandito I can. I don't usually live too long as I just like to skulk around Chern/Elek helping survivors and foraging the Shops, if your gear is too good you kinda have to stop 'meeting' people or they'll kill you on sight. =(

The Novy Sobor army camp is pretty sweet though - Kept my AK supplied from there when I had it, had to pass up a DMR as I'd already got 6 AK mags.

That feeling when you're in some semi-built up area, at night, with no flares and can hear the zombies.

Iguana

lmao i have a title
Reaction score
Spent too much time playing this, fighting the good fight and shooting every single bandito I can. I don't usually live too long as I just like to skulk around Chern/Elek helping survivors and foraging the Shops, if your gear is too good you kinda have to stop 'meeting' people or they'll kill you on sight. =(

The Novy Sobor army camp is pretty sweet though - Kept my AK supplied from there when I had it, had to pass up a DMR as I'd already got 6 AK mags.

That feeling when you're in some semi-built up area, at night, with no flares and can hear the zombies.
Oh, once you're stocked up, you can only be stalked from that point on.
GREAT FEELING

Malcovent

Geezuslike
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
Update - So i decided to start a new game, and make a solo treck up north towards a large military airbase, Long journey so it'll be a number of days before i reach it.

This, is the progress of day one.

Travelling up north, from the first deer nest i managed to hook myself a nice AK and three magazines of ammunition, well stocked on medical and living supplies, as well as ammo, i decided to see how far north I could make it.

However as i was passing over towards the barn, I heard a gunshot. After about ten minutes of staking out from the long-grass i see a survivor hanging around the barn/dawdling, So i decide to approach. Upon entering the barn I see him run down the stairs, he pauses with surprise as he sees me and suddenly raises his rifle towards me. I let off three bursts of fire (weapon already at the ready when i entered the barn) causing him to retreat, but after about thirty seconds the bloodloss is so severe he passes out unconscious on the second floor of the barn. So i summarily go upstairs and execute him with my Makarov pistol.

Scavenging his ammo and supplies, with little in the barn to take - I progress north, where to add to the drama, I saw his friend in the distance (and he too saw me) - both dropping to the ground we were at a tense standoff, and after a quick bouncing of comments back and fourth in chat between us, we agreed to a truce - Made my way to a new dear nest to get well clear of him.

So far it's gone relatively smooth, lost a little blood and a lot of heat which i plan to recuperate tomorrow, i've found what seems to be a once occupied supermarket (barb wire covering the exits so i just stepped in through the window) - but no signs of recent inhabitants. The overall plan is to make a long treck north and start scouting out a massive airbase rumoured to have some amazing loot.

I'll keep you updated!

Reactions: Duffie

Nazza1

Reaction score
Every time I log onto a server, I get kicked and an error message comes up saying that I need battleye, even though I already have it -.-

Does anyone know who to fix that? I've looked on the DayZ forums but I can't seem to find a solution :S

Shinyshark

Professional innuendo creator/finder.
Reaction score
So, how exactly do I get it?
Buy ARMA 2: Operation Arrowhead. What do from here? >_>
NONONONONONO BUY COMBINED OPERATIONS I MADE THE SAME MISTAKE SO EXPENSIVE BUY COMBINED OPERATIONS! You need the arma files to mod it and Operation Arrowhead to play DayZ I think.
Malcovent , Iguana

• Winner
Reactions: Duffie

Jayfeather

Gay Magician
Donor
Reaction score
Doublepost.

Personal Experiences so far -

On my second playthrough, I went to a barn to fill my water bottle back up at a pump/faucet kinda deal, went into the barn to scavenge. Found a tin of pasta and a lee enfield rifle (useless ingame, too loud. attracts neighbours). Kill a few zombies to get in, go upto the top of the barn. On the stairs down, as i turn around - theres a bandit with an Makarov raised aiming at my head. I suddenly go to crouch as he fires, causing him to clip (what must of been my shoulder). Drop to prone, roll to one side and promptly empty an entire clip into his head - picked his corpse for a nice amount of water/food/bandages and some morphine.
No one messes with Malcovent. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.