Cursing in Zombie survival.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Da Jinks

Political Nerd
Reaction score
I play this with my little brother and sister. And I'm getting tired of having to send em out of the room cause someone has to cuzz like crazy. I was just hearing a OP using the F word! For crying out loud! Cant we cut this? Is it REALLY neccesary to use the F word a billion times a day? I'm sorry if some of ya dont believe this is a big deal at all or something. But I get SICK of it! If you wanna hoot and holler, scream out your jazz in RL! I dont need it! Nobody does!

kraby1

The Big Red Monster From Hell.
Reaction score
I am a bit confused, if it's about the server or the TeamSpeak.

Rule 7 allows anyone to swear, through not at someone or too much. Ops usually warn and kick people for using too much abusive language, and then tell them to watch themselves. Yes, I don't like it either when somebody uses bad language ingame, but you can't really stop somebody from doing that once or twice. The only possible yet unrealistic to me way to prevent things like this would be a word filter, such as the F word would change to something like 'Damn it'.

ZombiePineapple

The Hell Raiser
Reaction score
they can swear as kraby said as long as they arent excessive meaning repeatitve so i am deeply sorry that you have to send your sibilings out of the room to avoid them learing bad language but please enjoy the server will full potential and just ignore the language please :D

Awwwyea

Ghast Hunter
Reaction score
What kraby said is true, and I'm sorry about the situation at hand. We staff try to do our best, we really do, and I'm not trying to get myself out of trouble. It may have actually been me you heard, and I'm sorry if it was.

About the swearing a whole lot, I don't think I've ever heard a player swear repetitively on the server enough to mute/warn/kick for a while. I'm sure I can speak for the others, if possible, that we'll do our best to stop more of these things from happening. (If possible, you can't do any better if you catch all of them already).

Chillingworth

Ex-Zombie VetOp | Ex-AoD Op
Reaction score
The others pretty much summed it up, but here goes in a few bullets, coming from an operator:

1.) We do kick for excessive/extremely vulgar language. No exceptions.
2.) We do not encourage swearing. However, if someone does say one or two words, it's not something we can really punish, per say. That would be unfair. We can give them a verbal warning, and tell them to cut it out, and that's pretty much it.

Da Jinks

Political Nerd
Reaction score
First, this is about the server.

Second, my first really bad time with this was the other day I was up early with my lil sis and someone saw no ops were on and randomly swore like a sailor. I asked him to stop and he started saying stuff I cant even post. He kept it up until a Op came on. Second time was only a little bit ago when a guy was refusing to replace his skin after a Op asked. Now, I get its bad and such, but the Op called him a F***ing idiot and banned him. I just dont get why we NEED to do this.

JtTorso

Reaction score
We (as ops, as a server, and as a community) can only do so much, while swearing is allowed we can only allow it in a certain context and only so much, that being said if you wish to not expose your siblings to cursing then perhaps you should do more to stop them from seeing it, now on to my personal opinion, I believe kids should know about swears and how to swear at a certain age, this doesn't affect how I operate because it's not my choice, already I can tell your referring to me because this happened only a few hours ago, the guy I banned was wearing a HITLER SKIN, I had told him to go change it and after I kicked him he came back without doing so, I told him he was going to be banned and he evaded it, this means I cannot simply type in /ban (name), I have to type in /whois ban his IP which is quite long and if people talk to much I can't finish, and his name, so I was angry and called him a fucking idiot, as I said before Ops can only do so much and it's just as much your responsibility if not more.

Friendy

SMP Overlord & Events Manager
Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
We (as ops, as a server, and as a community) can only do so much, while swearing is allowed we can only allow it in a certain context and only so much, that being said if you wish to not expose your siblings to cursing then perhaps you should do more to stop them from seeing it, now on to my personal opinion, I believe kids should know about swears and how to swear at a certain age, this doesn't affect how I operate because it's not my choice, already I can tell your referring to me because this happened only a few hours ago, the guy I banned was wearing a HITLER SKIN, I had told him to go change it and after I kicked him he came back without doing so, I told him he was going to be banned and he evaded it, this means I cannot simply type in /ban (name), I have to type in /whois ban his IP which is quite long and if people talk to much I can't finish, and his name, so I was angry and called him a fucking idiot, as I said before Ops can only do so much and it's just as much your responsibility if not more.
Kids swearing at a younger age is bad thing, I'm sure his parents wouldn't like him teaching his sibling about swear words, You can't blame him "that being said if you wish to not expose your siblings to cursing then perhaps you should do more to stop them from seeing it" Why not just filter swears, It does no harm and actually stops this type of problem from happening again, And before someone makes some long reply about how the server will never have filters, Why not just ask an HC first. <-- Last part, I wasn't talking to you JtTorso.

One one two

Per aspera ad astra
Donor
Reaction score
The "F word", as you put it, is not offensive. The context that it is used in may be (and if it is it will be dealt with), but the word itself is not. I think you're overreacting here. I don't see what's so bad about it, less of course it is used in an offensive kind of way. For example:

Player1: This "F word"-ing stupid homework is driving me crazy.

Why is this offensive?

Zombie catches Player1
Player1: "F word".

How about this?

I would understand if it was used offensively/to attack someone, and as an Operator on the server do take action when it is, but most of the time (like in the above examples) there is nothing offensive about the way it's being used. Though there are some words that I'd rather not have said on the server (racial slurs, etc), this one in particular, as well as many others that I can't think of right now, shouldn't offend anyone. It's not necessarily an insult, so why is it insulting?

Now about your siblings. The thing is -- and I'm not trying to be rude by saying this -- it's not our job to babysit them. It's yours. We tolerate a certain amount of cursing, and rightfully so. There is nothing wrong with it. If you're going to be playing on this server with them, you run the risk that you're exposing them to that kind of content. That's the case with the whole internet, and it's not our fault if it happens. We shouldn't take and ban all cursing just for them.

And just for the record, I would be 140% against a word filter. We don't need one.

I hope this doesn't seem like a rant, it wasn't meant to be. Just my thoughts on the matter.

JtTorso

Reaction score
Kids swearing at a younger age is bad thing, I'm sure his parents wouldn't like him teaching his sibling about swear words, You can't blame him "that being said if you wish to not expose your siblings to cursing then perhaps you should do more to stop them from seeing it" Why not just filter swears, It does no harm and actually stops this type of problem from happening again, And before someone makes some long reply about how the server will never have filters, Why not just ask an HC first. <-- Last part, I wasn't talking to you JtTorso.
As I mentioned before, it's my personal opinion, I quite frankly don't see the harm in teaching kids HOW to swear and not TO swear, there is a difference, it's like teaching kids HOW to think for themselves and not TO think for themselves, but I digress, and chat filters have been denied, the HCs swear, the Ops swear, if you don't like it get over it (Not entirely directed to you Angel because you've never mentioned having a problem with swearing), I completely oppose the idea of a chat filter for general swear words, for me it's out of the question.

Reactions: Summer10

kraby1

The Big Red Monster From Hell.
Reaction score
The only possible yet unrealistic to me way to prevent things like this would be a word filter, such as the F word would change to something like 'Damn it'.
As I said, unrealistic way that a word filter would be added.

Also Da Jinks, trust me, they are FAR more worse things on the internet, other than curse words, which you can't really escape from, because they are everywhere. The Internet, TV, Real life. You will always find something inappropriate on any game with a chatwindow or ability to write something somewhere. Remember what the people above me said, we are trying to encourage not to swear.

snowma

Dwarf
Donor
Reaction score
Sorry. I feel like this is going to be a bit harsh but this isnt a babysitting server. We dont censor swearing because whilst young people play minecraft, so do the old. "A billion times a day" is very dramatic. As you know we hit hard on people who swear CONSTANTLY but we will not hit down on those who use the occasional swear when they die. Like Kraby said, you will find a lot worse in the real world.

Another point is, we are all human here. We all get frustrated and remember whilst we (as staff) try to keep a calm head when dealing with trouble makers, sometimes its difficult. We get a wide number of those coming and going and some days the amount of nonsense we have to deal with it pretty bad. So I say a little swearing now and then is not a big deal. I have a young sister and I dont mind her watching me play zombie. Personally, this is one of the smaller issues regarding zombie.

@Megatron
@IntensiK
@Damer_Flinn

Though I would like to hear what you three have to say on the matter.

Vatumok

Former CA
Reaction score
It's more a matter of rather not than really bad... Pretty much no one will give even a tiny bit if someone says: "shit" or "fuck", because of this swearing isn't completely banned on the server but it still gives the person a rather immature reputation if he/she does it regulary so we prefer if players wouldn't do it, but it's not that bad after all.

Insulting, however, is a totally different case - I think players should treat eachother with respect and if one starts to direct something bad to another player (unless it's an obvious joke) I will not tolerate it.

I do however see that some staff members tend to swear a lot, with this I'm not very happy and I think that should really be toned down a bit. (because I do think we need to give the good example as staff members, we do not like people swearing even though we have no real problem with it)

But still, it stays a very, very small problem and you are the first one really complaing that we tolerate swearing. I do not think we need to chance something about it. (language filters are only annoying)

Da Jinks

Political Nerd
Reaction score
OK... First, I believe that just because your not saying F*** in a insulting way doesnt make it right. I know this isnt a "babysitter server" and am not trying to say we need to kill all swaering. I heard someone say that would give the server a "bad image". Does having a bunch of people saying F this and N that give it a good image? I dont belive so. I only made this thread cause I like this server and want to do the best I can for it. If someone gets caught and says damn? Fine. Whatever. But using the worst language you can? No. If you wanna say this after that, scream it in the room your playing in if your that frustrated!

One one two

Per aspera ad astra
Donor
Reaction score
OK... First, I believe that just because your not saying F*** in a insulting way doesnt make it right. I know this isnt a "babysitter server" and am not trying to say we need to kill all swaering. I heard someone say that would give the server a "bad image". Does having a bunch of people saying F this and N that give it a good image? I dont belive so. I only made this thread cause I like this server and want to do the best I can for it. If someone gets caught and says damn? Fine. Whatever. But using the worst language you can? No. If you wanna say this after that, scream it in the room your playing in if your that frustrated!
I can, and was only speaking for myself and my own thoughts on the whole thing, but I'll edit it. I should probably make this clear: My post was referring mostly to the occasional swear, not everything wrong you can say it the chat - I think we're a little confused here. My argument doesn't go much further than that.

Anyway, if they get too frequent/excessive (spammy [which goes for everything, not just cursing]/offensive), yes, I'd agree with you, but I don't see an "F" here and there as excessive, and I don't think it's as frequent on the server as you make it out to be. We will get a few people on the server abusing profanities of course, but they don't last very long.

And nobody is saying you didn't make this thread for a good reason, I didn't mean to attack you if that's how you feel - I was only expressing my opinion. Sorry.

If things do get bad in the chat, from my experience it's always been quickly dealt with. There are times (lots of times) when enough is enough, but I don't like to draw the line at a little swear. It's not like we all spam the chat needlessly with it and make sure to say it a thousand times whenever something goes wrong.

Summer10

Reaction score
But using the worst language you can?
We will warn/kick if we find it excessive and staff rarely go overboard with swearing.
Does having a bunch of people saying F this and N that give it a good image? I dont belive so.
If they are saying 'f this then that is their opinion and to be honest if they don't like they game then why are the playing it? (the swear(ers))If someone says N this (which I assume is the racist 'n' word) then we will take it very serious and if not ban then we give a final warning(depending on severity).. racism is not tolerated here at ALL.

ethical1337

Don't choose the easy path just because its easy
Reaction score
We do ban for racism, Instantly and without remourse . :)

On top of that. If you ever see someone going out of control when an op does not see it, or even if you are having a problem with an op swearing, you can take a screenshot or even write down the time of the event. Then you can send it to an Head controller or even a Head Admin to see if action needs to be taken. We Always respect a player who takes this route.

Willchill

Blocktopia's Official Octopus
Reaction score
I am quite sure that N**** is considered racial, and gives a permanent ban, if it is used more than a few times in one sentence, it becomes a Global Ban (banned on all Blocktopia server).

^Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Theodorre

The Fail Chipmunk
Reaction score
Yes.. its interesting the flexing rules... A bit confusing sometimes. But, I suppose, people swear in the real world, its become the norm, so we can't really change that. I personally DO have a swear filter, and it blocks other questionable content too, for all sites on the internet. But, just because others swear, it doesn't mean you have to. I personally don't swear, in Minecraft or the real world, but if others want to, well, that is their choice. You kinda get used to it after a while.
Oh, and does the S four letter word count as a swear word? Because I heard an OP say it three times in a row.

Status
Not open for further replies.