Contests

Wink

¡Juego de las Pulgas!
Reaction score
Forenote: I've noticed things have gotten a bit quiet around our nook of blocktopia. While Lava is having contests for christmas, while tnt has a map competition, and we currently have nothing. I am not talking around christmas time, but just in general, we are very quiet. So, I was thinking and came up with this:

CONTESTS

The idea here are contests, which can range from anything doable on our server, that can Operator + held, but should be HC approved. We could get a list of contest types (such as Bear Grylss streaking to most brains eaten), general how long that last timeframes, and some prizes for them, given by us operators+. We could get a thread of contest going, as well a thread for operators to sign up in hosting a contest. All of this could be troublesome, but it would be really fun in the end.

Thoughts?

Trap_Wolf

dam u str8 babygurl
Reaction score
Website
www.trapwolf.com
What kind of awards though? I honestly can't think of anything other than Titles/Respect/slapping that could be given out.
Or the player that wins the certain contest gets to hide in an adminium box aka free round. <.<

But yeah, I know what you're trying to do here. You're jelly of Larba. :b

Reactions: balloon98

kraby1

The Big Red Monster From Hell.
Reaction score
I love this idea! It would be so much fun, I'd definitely not get an award!

So, yes. What would be the prizes, because Titles/slaps aren't really such a thing.

MAYBE, YOU GET TO BE AN OP FOR 1 ROUND. (of course, given to mature and trusted players.)

I have a list of suggestions for the competitions and awards:

Get the most brains on Nobuild128 in a double power pill round!
Survive the longest on dontstop and nobuild128!
most rounds won on in a day.

Op for x rounds.

^That's my only award suggestion ._.

EDIt; 600th post, Wth.

Wink

¡Juego de las Pulgas!
Reaction score
I was thinking anything from the in-game (Titles etc) to outside the game (Steam giftcards, amazon giftcards, Mc giftcodes etc) depending on how hard, how generous the op, and how long the contest is. Like forsay, we have a contest to see who can eat the most brains in a week- 10$ amazon giftcard. And then we have a contest to see who can eat the most brains on nobuild128- A title

Vatumok

Former CA
Reaction score
We've discussed contests multiple times (really a lot) and every time it's the same outcome: Only map contests are do-able because it's the only thing fair - if contests were things like: player with most kills in one day wins ... it wouldn't be fair because some people have more time than others on that one day. Not so long ago we had a map competition (Aug. 2011 or something) and I see no reason for another competition right now, for christmas I'd recommend just do some cool things with/to maps.
About prizes, giving people ranks on the server is a big no, not even to mature players. As prizes you can be creative, e.g. custom title for a week, getting to choose 10 maps for the next map rotation, etc...

Feel free to have more discussion about this here, but remember to think about a few things before suggesting things:
- Would it be possible?
- Would it be fair?
- Is it not completely silly want I want to say? @kraby1 ;)
- Etc...

Wink

¡Juego de las Pulgas!
Reaction score
Yes, As always theres the common sense thing. I should of shot down that giving a player a rank for a map thing also, but you did that really well in this post vat. I suppose we could find a way to make these contests fair, so people dont feel ripped off.

Friendy

SMP Overlord & Events Manager
Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
You could earn a title for 1 week and have +50 Rep for winning, Or choose a zombie skin for 1 week.

Wink

¡Juego de las Pulgas!
Reaction score
Rep is probably a no, since we operators, although not much, use it sometimes to see how a person is following the rules in the game. Title is doable though :)

ethical1337

Don't choose the easy path just because its easy
Reaction score
As for structure it could be possible for people to sign up for a contest that will last for say 2 weeks. Then before they player starts playing an operator finds a few stats. First off we could do something where we see who could get the most kills or rounds survived in say 50 hours of game play. We need an op+ to have gotten /timeonline /whois to find out how many kills round survived and playtime they currently have. The player then tells us when they have completed their 50 hours and we can calculate what they have gained. The people participating would have to sign up and then just play to their hearts content.

Doesn't have to be 50 hours or 2 weeks. Whatever would work out the best.

Just a suggestion. It is late and I can try and tweak it more later.

Willchill

Blocktopia's Official Octopus
Reaction score
Well, as a prize we could have custom titles / name colours (possibly). Also choose zombie skin for 1 week/month.

Sorry, but I don't really want this in-game. It would be a bit difficult to explain and also, I don't think it really needs to be added.

fireball0409

Reaction score
I dont really like the idea of adding colors to the names or titles to winners. It will make the chat get all confuzing in my opinion. A custom title or choosing the zombie skin for a short while seems good. Hope it gets added to the game. ;)

mariosatr

Imperator Romanus Sacer
Reaction score
As for structure it could be possible for people to sign up for a contest that will last for say 2 weeks. Then before they player starts playing an operator finds a few stats. First off we could do something where we see who could get the most kills or rounds survived in say 50 hours of game play. We need an op+ to have gotten /timeonline /whois to find out how many kills round survived and playtime they currently have. The player then tells us when they have completed their 50 hours and we can calculate what they have gained. The people participating would have to sign up and then just play to their hearts content.

Doesn't have to be 50 hours or 2 weeks. Whatever would work out the best.

Just a suggestion. It is late and I can try and tweak it more later.
This. Except it could make it that instead of having a time limit, you could have a ratio of something like brains eaten over time played or similar; this would make it fairer.

Mikey

The Pig
Reaction score
Ethical, I like the idea, but this was my suggestion awhile ago, we all signup for a zombie competition in teams of 4, we then play other teams of 4. Whomever was the last to die out of the teams would win. Obviously this wouldn't be single elimination because that is to quick, but each team would be given a time to get on by the staff, if there was a no show of a teammate, they could either forfeit or play with the people they have. Each team would have a team name and that team name would be the title of the 4. But as this is going on the regular game play would still be happening.(Cant see why this would ruin the game play for others, it would only excite them more) Each game would have an assigned operator+ to go watch each of their teams to ensure no cheating during this whatsoever. The brackets can easily be made, and obviously out of the 8 people competing, someone may start the hunt but that is part of the challenge. This needs to be ratified a bit, but the concept and base of it is good. It is also quick and requires multiple strategy and tactics for each of the teams. Good teamwork is involved. For those underdog players versing the pros would also be fun to watch to see if they can beat the best. The winning team of the bracket would then earn there gift/prize. This goes under the lines of a contest, but it is more of a competition. Would love to see this. It would bring astounding excitement to the game play.

~MIKE.

P.S: I don' t really want to see another map making contest.

ethical1337

Don't choose the easy path just because its easy
Reaction score
The problem with your idea mike is that's what we did for the contest we did a while back. Teams may not show up or may have a hard time with it or too many people will be confused with what is going on. Also having staff follow around 4 people exclusively isn't a good use of our resources.