Changes that need to be made to Blocktopia

Psycho

Insufficient Data
Donor
Reaction score
Yes I agree we should adapt to new games but I dont see how that will be successful when we have trouble keeping one game interesting and lots of events that are special going on how will you be able to make special events that are new and unique often enough for players to stick with us? I think before an expansion you guys really need to take into consideration yes people will come because they can talk about new games but will they stay because of what we do and how we are involved with these games?
You bring up a good point, and to reiterate -- How can the Blocktopian Community introduce new games when they can't sustain just one game? What exactly will this overhaul entail in regard to retaining a large playerbase with the new game servers that will be introduced? I'm sure that it will be different, but will it be run by the admins or will there be people chosen, who are passionate about their respective game server and will introduce events and such just to keep the playerbase motivated and come back? Find people who are passionate about the game that they play and perhaps things will turn out fine.

Minecraft as a game is dying out at an alarming rate
And no, Minecraft doesn't look like it's dying. It might be dying in this community, but granted, this community is small compared to the larger servers out there that still retain 1,000 to 10,000 players during any given time. Heck, there's even a server that has 30,000 players right now. Side note- these are servers that have mini-games and other game styles that Blocktopia probably hasn't looked into regarding Minecraft.

Ltin

Mafia Host
Reaction score
And no, Minecraft doesn't look like it's dying. It might be dying in this community, but granted, this community is small compared to the larger servers out there that still retain 1,000 to 10,000 players during any given time. Heck, there's even a server that has 30,000 players right now.
In a way you could say that is dying. You see people going from small friendly servers to large crowded ones where you have no chance to be friendly because you can't even read the chat.
It's kinda like the effect on small businesses when large corporations like Walmart come in.
Small server Saturday everybody.

• Agree
Reactions: Vrgin

Roobarb Pie

Geezuslike
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
Naturally there will be outlets for feedback, and once the overhaul is presented anything can be changed if the community wants it, and I think these would be better presented once the time comes for that.
My feedback is that there must be a giant statue erected in honour of Ryan Gosling.

In regards to the first complaint in Post #1, we have had an role playing server. It was called JtE. It was released 2 years ago and was in operation for nearly a year IIRC. The issue is that keeping a RP server running as an RP server is that it requires heavy moderating to ensure that people don't break away from the theme, be it in chat or in the way the people's houses are made. Take a look at the large DarkRP servers on Gmod for example. Due to the size of the userbase, at least 5 staff members are online at any point in time to keep it under control.

I personally think the staff have done a fantastic job the last several years keeping the servers going. Moderating what is essentially a public space, in-game and in-forum is no easy feat, and yet they've coped with it just fine and dandy.

Y

YouWould

I dont see how that will be successful when we have trouble keeping one game
We don't have trouble with that at all. The odd thing is we're not popular like other servers because we're not owned by a youtuber. I think Minecraft is only keeping its popularity because of youtube (That's what lead me and Im sure others to the game).

smp for 1st shutdown
It had nothing to do with the overhaul at all, in all honesty DoD wasn't that great of an SMP server.

Lee_scar

Geezuslike
Donor
Reaction score
My feedback is that there must be a giant statue erected in honour of Ryan Gosling.
Ey! I will ban you or make sure someone bans you for any type or erection you build.
Read the rules, they are not allowed.
Even if you build a Ryan Gosling erection, its still not allowed.
Creativity aside for your building skill, but keep it to single player if you have to build one.
Thought you of all people would know this.
I have no idea what would make you want to build one.
On that topic, there really is only one word for wanting to do that.
No.
Sigh.

Roobarb Pie

Geezuslike
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
Ey! I will ban you or make sure someone bans you for any type or erection you build.
Read the rules, they are not allowed.
Even if you build a Ryan Gosling erection, its still not allowed.
Creativity aside for your building skill, but keep it to single player if you have to build one.
Thought you of all people would know this.
I have no idea what would make you want to build one.
On that topic, there really is only one word for wanting to do that.
No.
Sigh.
Not sure if we're doing the whole switchamaroo thing or I've completely missed your joke, but if you erect a statue that means you build a statue. It's posh speak apparently.

RyanDodd

Ex - Army of Darkness Director
Reaction score
We can start by changing our attitudes. Instead of generally being sarcastic, aggressive jerks, we should welcome new players into the community instead of scaring them off. No, that may not apply to everyone and it is not the main cause of a decline in new players. However, it is a contributing factor and given everyone's willingness to create threads about what needs to be changed, I'd hope you are all willing to start with yourselves. Again, I'm not referring to everyone because there are some genuinely friendly people in this community, but there are also a bunch of sarcastic people who appear hostile to newer players. In fact, I don't think I'm the only person here noticing an increase in aggressiveness and general disrespect over the past few months. I say we start by respecting each other. Instead of posting something unnecessary and starting an ordeal about it being deleted, think about how much cleaner the forums will be if you simply think about what you're saying before you post it. If you're willing to go out of your way to suggest changes that would help bring in new players, don't you think that you should stop scaring them away as soon as they arrive?

Wink

¡Juego de las Pulgas!
Reaction score
It had nothing to do with the overhaul at all, in all honesty DoD wasn't that great of an SMP server.

"Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?" /s

As already stated in this thread, the higher ups are fine tuning the overhaul to ensure that it has the greatest possible effect on our community, with little to no controversy. We are not 'victims of blocktopia', we are members of a community that is going through a period of change. If you feel so negatively about the direction this community is supposedly treading, I suggest you step back, cooldown your keyboard, and have some patience. We aren't be unproductive, we are just holding out and waiting for this overhaul to hit, and when it does, expect bigger things from us.

SparklyMuffinz

H2H: Here to Help
Reaction score
I have to start by addressing this:
hockeymatt79 said:
Dear Victims of Blocktopia,
I got a good chuckle out of this.

On a more serious note, just some constructive criticism: it really helps you to be taken seriously - especially when you're making points such as these - when you use punctuation. It was difficult to read and understand all the points you were trying to make, especially when an entire response was a huge paragraph that was 1 sentence long.

Moving on, the way I see this thread is you addressing the community of Blocktopia, telling them what you think the head team has done wrong. You can fully correct me on this if that was not your intent but that's definitely how I see it.
hockeymatt79 said:
We have been jerked around in SMP's especially the last two we were promised a Role Play SMP where when released it was no where near complete often the first Role play factors did not come out in the first three months, by this time we lost a lot of the promising player base that the server started with.
It may be my memory (because it's awful) but I don't remember a promised RP SMP - I remember a promised PvP SMP server (but please, that's not the point of this response and not what I want to discuss). Regardless, I wouldn't use the wording "jerked" around because there was Role Play in DoD and even more so in JtE - the past SMPs you are referencing in your post. I cannot speak as much for JtE since I don't remember the opening that well but I know we started DoD with it's story and created an environment that was open for RP, which some people actually did. If you wanted a hardcore RP server, that's not what it was or supposed to be and I'm not sure we'll have something like that because I don't believe that's the general interest of Blocktopia, as seen through the many, many threads discussing RP but who knows. However, this shouldn't stop anyone from RPing if they want too.
hockeymatt79 said:
We have been led on months coming up to the release I'm not talking about the fact they say its coming out this week every week because obviously that's not their fault they are waiting on Bukkit and I will get to that. Its the hype they build up about all the things how it has a great storyline that players in the community and staff help make and it gets everyone so excited. If you truly want people to come and play and stay sell it for what it really is when it is released just a normal SMP or when it is released make it a real Role Play not 1 mission or no missions for a few months or so little they can be finished with in an hour then there isn't any released for a month. You may not have realized but in the past SMP's, in JTE and DoD you have been led on multiple times and promised certain things and for months been given hints at what is to come and it is often no where near what is said to be.
And this part I believe is all opinion-based. We only advertise the server as we see it. It's no secret you weren't a big fan of DoD but I'd like to say at least some people enjoyed it for what it was. Therefore, it doesn't mean everyone was "lead on" or "disappointed" with the turn out. Quests and such were released periodically so everything wasn't done all at once or we'd have exactly what you said: hype and then a player base that dies in a month. This isn't me trying to defend the server, it's so you can understand how things like this work. You need to plan it out, not released everything all at once.

hockeymatt79 said:
Zombie as many of us know and do not want to say was a huge let down with rarely enough players on at a time to enjoy the game, it sadly is something that has to go because it is not a one player game and or something that can be maintained for a long amount of time with many flaws in it that haven't been attended to and there does not seem to be any notable effort that it is being fixed. A&T is an interesting server to talk about since players do use it to host player made events however the turnout for those events are rather small and if there is no event going on the server is normally empty. This takes up space for promising servers that can be used we already know that Blocktopia has it available to put up servers temporarily like they do for beta or vanilla servers why not just do that whenever you're hosting an event since there is no game play on this server.
This area is you discussing which servers you think should stay/be removed so all I will add is that it's being discussed and these things have probably been looked at.

hockeymatt79 said:
So now since bukkit is no longer around blocktopia has said they were looking for a replacement they claimed they would be using sponge. There another replacement that works, plugins that worked with bukkit still work in 1.8. If blocktopia really wanted they could have been using this and had an up and running server one month ago instead of waiting for sponge which maybe better but these are two very similar replacements for bukkit and I do not think there will be any noticable difference on the player side and the server is all about the players and their experience. It works just as well as Sponge will is Spigot here is the link for anyone who wants to check it outhttp://www.spigotmc.org/threads/bukkit-craftbukkit-spigot-1-8.36598/
This section is the area that frustrated me for a 2 reasons:
There another replacement that works, plugins that worked with bukkit still work in 1.8. [...] waiting for sponge which maybe better
I don't know if you've done this in private but I haven't seen you reach out to try and suggest any other replacements that may have been better. This sounds more like you are impatient of waiting for the update - which I understand why, I am too - but it'll take work no matter which option we choose. We want to pick the best solution for Blocktopia and our servers, regardless of the work it'll be for us.
If blocktopia really wanted they could have been using this and had an up and running server one month ago
"If Blocktopia really wanted" makes it sound like we don't. Think about the voluntary time and effort put into these servers to try and make them fun for you, the playerbase. It's sad that this argument has to keep coming up but I bring it up because of course we want to get this update over with as it's hindered us a lot. We care as much about these servers as you do and now that progress has been made, we're hoping we can finally update the necessary servers.

Otherwise, I can only suggest to wait it out. :p The change people are asking for will hopefully come in the future.

Shinyshark

Professional innuendo creator/finder.
Reaction score
Minecraft isn't a dying game. Sure, it may not be as popular as it first was but people still love to play it. In-fact, there is 17.9 million people with a Minecraft account. For me, Blocktopia is just not that much fun anymore. The same server concepts are being re-used and the servers that we do have grow old after some time.

In my opinion, Blocktopia would do well if they had some new servers with new gamemodes or maybe just servers on an entirely new game such as Garry's Mod or Counter Strike: Global Offensive.

Mastersten

In Omnia Paratus
Reaction score
I just like how people start making threads about problems instead of making threads about things that went good (RoF running good, staff members doing a great job, thanking people for making an awesome year). Almost gives me the feeling that we're all working at CNN or an other news channel

• Haha
Reactions: 1 person

Edgar Harford

Reaction score
Minecraft isn't a dying game. Sure, it may not be as popular as it first was but people still love to play it. In-fact, there is 17.9 million people with a Minecraft account. For me, Blocktopia is just not that much fun anymore. The same server concepts are being re-used and the servers that we do have grow old after some time.

In my opinion, Blocktopia would do well if they had some new servers with new gamemodes or maybe just servers on an entirely new game such as Garry's Mod or Counter Strike: Global Offensive.
What's the point of adding that stat in? There are 17.9 million people with a Minecraft account, but how many of those are those active? How would that prove Minecraft isn't a dying game? All it does prove is the success of the game, but not its post-maturity.

Jayfeather

Gay Magician
Donor
Reaction score
I just like how people start making threads about problems instead of making threads about things that went good (RoF running good, staff members doing a great job, thanking people for making an awesome year). Almost gives me the feeling that we're all working at CNN or an other news channel
@staff haha nice! (((((((( :
anyways so ya we're still in the same place - sinking ship and all but hope that pat on the back was enough or something
????????????????

anyways
-------------
Minecraft is dying in the community even if its not dying globally. Probably 50/50 the leaving threads are "real life" or "minecraft is boring"

Roobarb Pie

Geezuslike
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
I would like MORE SKELETONS and an END to the HORRIBLE CLANKERING coming from UNDER THE STAIRS OF THE OFF-TOPIC FORUM.
We do not talk about the clankering, it comes from the dead and is locked for a reason.

You also forgot to mention the floorboard outside meeting recaps subforum that squeaks every third time it's stepped on.