Blocktopia..... Dying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitasu987

Reaction score
As Sploorky said we made the transition from having both Classic and Premium to just premium servers now. Those people that played on Classic but didn't own minecraft will, more than likely, try to buy it so they can come back.

Also look at how popular some of the servers are at the non-awkward times. Normally on RoF during busy times I see 28 people online? If not more. Yes, we have many servers that aren't popular right now, I point to BB and TNT. TNT is fairly new but it has a strong player base and those players will probably spread the word around. As for BB it recruits knew players everyday because of the aspect of a premium freebuild.
I think BB is the best server :D

Only reason I'm not on it as much as I used to is cuz I'm working on a super secret special singleplayer project :D

• Informative
Reactions: Xfolo

Friendy

SMP Overlord & Events Manager
Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
As Sploorky said we made the transition from having both Classic and Premium to just premium servers now. Those people that played on Classic but didn't own minecraft will, more than likely, try to buy it so they can come back.

Also look at how popular some of the servers are at the non-awkward times. Normally on RoF during busy times I see 28 people online? If not more. Yes, we have many servers that aren't popular right now, I point to BB and TNT. TNT is fairly new but it has a strong player base and those players will probably spread the word around. As for BB it recruits knew players everyday because of the aspect of a premium freebuild.

Yes, we are in a period of low turnout right now. As Da_Jinks said wait until summer we will have many many players coming in then as school will be out for most people and they will have the time free then. I don't predict the Blocktopia will die for a long time but more so we will keep transitioning and ebbing and flowing with the interest of the player and minecraft base.

As for your question, yes we did have an adventure server called A&T (Adventures & Tournaments) but I believe it was closed down due to large amounts of issues in it.
Well, TNT hasn't exactly had a decent amount of players on it since it's launch. May be due to a lot of people having their final exams, jobs, or being busy in general. Then again, I see RoF and JtE with the most players on almost every day.

A&T was closed down due to a lovely bug that kept turning the server off whenever somebody joined a world.

Duffie

Reaction score
Website
duffieshirayuki.deviantart.com
Take note that other Minecraft communities aren't fond of us anymore. -cough- -urbandictionary 'blocktopia'- -cough-
Am I missing something? D:
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Blocktopia
Look at all the dislikes for anything positive for Blocktopia.
Also, in response to people saying "finals, we should just wait"- again. Honestly, even when winter break and spring break came around, it still was a low amount of players. Just waiting right now doesn't help anything. It's like "well it's the school year just wait until summer." That's a good bit of time, and people that come around this time will just think the servers are always empty, and we lose even more people. I'm tired of people saying "wait". It's time to make a move now.
Pfft... The problem with those breaks, is that it consists of just a week or so, rather than around 3 months.

Summer break IS the time the population kicks back up. I know I would play more often in the summer, and especially if I somehow get a second computer. (Which has nothing to do with my point.)

Guinessis

Reaction score
Ok, now I have a few minutes to write something more cohesive. Let's begin.​
Blocktopia's Ad Men (ben pls)
Attracting new players to premium is a bit more difficult to accomplish than Classic, and requires a different approach. Up to this point we have done admirably well through the strength of our existing community. These forums are one of the more active MC community forums, and Blocktopia has been around for a long long time. We have original content and polished servers (PTNT is a work of art). How do we tell other people this?​
Premium Advertising Basics (and why it sucks)
There is no official server listing available, just 3rd party sites where everyone and anyone with a basic minecraft server makes a post. We've tried it with https://mcservers.org/detail/lobby.blocktopia.net, and we've tried it several times with minestatus. The problem is that the people who claim the top spots run schemes such as "Vote and get 64 diamonds!" They shoot to the top, attracting more players who provide more votes, and the cycle continues.

I know that we've tried something similar in the past with in-game money for voting, but I don't think they have ever been effective. If anyone with the data can weigh in on this, let me know.
Paid Advertising

We did run an advertisement on /r/minecraft a few months ago. GmK , did that work at all? It linked to one of our /r/mcservers posts (http://www.reddit.com/r/mcservers/comments/1css0d/blocktopia_central_hub_smpcreativepvppve/) that have worked to some extent.
Subliminal Advertising

Another route is to post builds, videos, and screenshots that promote the server without actually advertising. One example of this is: http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/y99by/it_started_life_as_a_rubiks_cube/ . This brought in quite a few new players, but these posts can be hit or miss. I've made similar posts about every other month with random builds, but none of them have had quite the same success as this first one. I'm starting to run out of builds to post, so this will dry up soon.

Also, having a major MC youtube person (I know nothing of this part) can apparently help out a lot as well. I know that Stieben and Razinao have both produced high quality videos in the past, perhaps visiting their pages and giving them likes and views will help boost their visibility?
Summary
If you want to increase the number of players on the servers, it would be best for players to collaborate on various projects such as videos, screenshots, or promotional events. Go forth and upvote the advertisements, reply to the topics on planetminecraft/minecraftforums, and post your own material. Link them back here for others to view and approve. And so on. I doubt they'll start offering stacks of diamonds or points in PTNT for votes, so it'll have to be community-motivated.​
P.S.
But before doing anything major, wait for the servers to update to 1.5.2. Otherwise people will try to join and likely fail, then move on to something else.​
P.P.S
RoF appears to be doing just fine. RoF staff, have you been doing anything differently? PTNT and AOD appear to be fighting over the same slice of pie which has resulted in both servers becoming low population. When the playerbase increases after server updates and summer break, this will hopefully cease.​
P.P.P.S.
Rough banner I made, still needs to be trimmed a bit.​

Danni122112

The Drunk
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, now I have a few minutes to write something more cohesive. Let's begin.
Blocktopia's Ad Men (ben pls)
Attracting new players to premium is a bit more difficult to accomplish than Classic, and requires a different approach. Up to this point we have done admirably well through the strength of our existing community. These forums are one of the more active MC community forums, and Blocktopia has been around for a long long time. We have original content and polished servers (PTNT is a work of art). How do we tell other people this?

Premium Advertising Basics (and why it sucks)
There is no official server listing available, just 3rd party sites where everyone and anyone with a basic minecraft server makes a post. We've tried it with https://mcservers.org/detail/lobby.blocktopia.net, and we've tried it several times with minestatus. The problem is that the people who claim the top spots run schemes such as "Vote and get 64 diamonds!" They shoot to the top, attracting more players who provide more votes, and the cycle continues.

I know that we've tried something similar in the past with in-game money for voting, but I don't think they have ever been effective. If anyone with the data can weigh in on this, let me know.

Paid Advertising

We did run an advertisement on /r/minecraft a few months ago. GmK , did that work at all? It linked to one of our /r/mcservers posts (http://www.reddit.com/r/mcservers/comments/1css0d/blocktopia_central_hub_smpcreativepvppve/) that have worked to some extent.
Subliminal Advertising

Another route is to post builds, videos, and screenshots that promote the server without actually advertising. One example of this is: http://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/y99by/it_started_life_as_a_rubiks_cube/ . This brought in quite a few new players, but these posts can be hit or miss. I've made similar posts about every other month with random builds, but none of them have had quite the same success as this first one. I'm starting to run out of builds to post, so this will dry up soon.

Also, having a major MC youtube person (I know nothing of this part) can apparently help out a lot as well. I know that Stieben and Razinao have both produced high quality videos in the past, perhaps visiting their pages and giving them likes and views will help boost their visibility?

Summary
If you want to increase the number of players on the servers, it would be best for players to collaborate on various projects such as videos, screenshots, or promotional events. Go forth and upvote the advertisements, reply to the topics on planetminecraft/minecraftforums, and post your own material. Link them back here for others to view and approve. And so on. I doubt they'll start offering stacks of diamonds or points in PTNT for votes, so it'll have to be community-motivated.

P.S.
But before doing anything major, wait for the servers to update to 1.5.2. Otherwise people will try to join and likely fail, then move on to something else.

P.P.S
RoF appears to be doing just fine. RoF staff, have you been doing anything differently? PTNT and AOD appear to be fighting over the same slice of pie which has resulted in both servers becoming low population. When the playerbase increases after server updates and summer break, this will hopefully cease.
P.P.P.S.
Rough banner I made, still needs to be trimmed a bit.
So I went into the imgur link that you had on the thread about your map, and this was what I found:
The City of Relic

PvP map that started life as a Rubik's cube, then turned into an ancient structure that pilgrims have turned into the city of Relic.

Created 9 months ago

Holy, thats alot of views, the blocktopia thread imgur link had 300 views...

• Winner
Reactions: Txboy1234

Guinessis

Reaction score
Holy, thats alot of views, the blocktopia thread imgur link had 300 views...
That's very much an anomaly, the average ranges from 1k to 20k on the posts in /r/minecraft. What seems to have happened is that the album was picked up by one of the minecraft twitter accounts (https://twitter.com/FrMinecraft/statuses/235750478716211200). And, go figure, this was the one post that did not include some link for the server information in the album, just in the reddit comments. Which of course weren't included with that twitter post. Still kicking myself over that.

Alternatively, this was the most successful reddit post, and reddit proceeds in tiers. New submissions languish unless they receive enough votes to crack the front page of /r/minecraft. Submissions that make it to the top of /r/minecraft then make it to /r/all, where everyone, not just people browsing /r/minecraft are able to see it.

Either way I haven't been able to replicate. The quality of /r/minecraft has gone downhill lately, and people now prefer to upvote junk such as "omg guys this island looks like a dick hahahaah" rather than builds. So it goes.

• Informative
Reactions: zezmi and Duffie

Excepted

Reaction score
I complete agree with guin. I once read somewhere that more youtube videoson your channel 7s the best way to get new subcribers. Youtubers you know what to do. ;)

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
I have made a couple blocktopia videos, and I will do more ;)
I haven't been doing any recording lately, but I will start doing them again ;)
Guys:
Don't just wait for the admins to advertise blocktopia. Is is your community as well, so if you want it to live on, please do something about it. Like mentioned above, even if it's just twitter posts, youtube videos, every little helps. #Tesco.

• Agree
Reactions: Theodorre

Txboy1234

Reaction score
[Commence over-dramatic post]
It's not just Blocktopia dying, it's the whole of Minecraft.

There was a time when thousands of 10 year-olds would flock to minecraft.net to purchase a new, exciting game - Minecraft. It's not like that any more.

Minecraft is just losing it's whole mojo, in my opinion.
[Post complete]
I went searching for MC servers and look at what I found...................

Obviously 2000 people is insane to have but I checked it out and they have many many servers. That picture is advertisment paid on a website. So who knows what it can bring.

Xfolo

Reaction score
Its just sleepy - closure of classic, 1.5.2, exams. Wait to summer, then we can advertise our quality servers ;)
Tottaly true. I cant play, due to 1.5.2 update, and i know that people say 'oohhh get mcvc' but when i use it it says to update my minecraft launcher, and i cant. So i cant play

Excepted

Reaction score
Guys:
Don't just wait for the admins to advertise blocktopia. Is is your community as well, so if you want it to live on, please do something about it. Like mentioned above, even if it's just twitter posts, youtube videos, every little helps. #Tesco.
your YouTube videos will never successful because you disable access to them on mobiles :c

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Guys:
your YouTube videos will never successful because you disable access to them on mobiles :c
:( I don't know how to change it D:

hihihilolHI

Reaction score
Really, just look at every single ban appeal section. We have so many people that have been banned from one of our servers, if every one of those just downvotes once on urban dictionary, then that is a ton of downvotes.

• Disagree
Reactions: Pikmon2

JayApple

Reaction score
Well, at this point I do believe it is clearly declining in player activity. The fall of classic is a major part of this. Classic brought in 90% of the 'new' players to this community, and eventually these new players transitioned to the Blocktopia premium servers.

It is obvious that if this community does not advertise soon it will fall very soon, it needs someway to get the name of Blocktopia out again. Yeah, it may cost a bit of money, but it is the only way to keep the community going, that is why the donation amount should of stayed at $150. (To account for advertisements and marketing.)

Furthermore, we all need to grasp the fact this community will not be the same as it was in 2011. So if you have stuck around awhile (much like myself and many others) you wont see the same characteristics of this community you saw 2 years ago. Life is full of change, might as well deal with it or get used to it.

Lastly, I have been apart of this community since it began, saw it -almost- fall on multiple occasions, saw it switch names, and saw it rebuild itself (several times.) I make a lot of predictions about things in Blocktopia and am usually right about them, and I do not see this community dying anytime soon. Blocktopia will do what it always has done and overcome the issue.
You sound like the sponsoring type. So does your voice.

Defiant_Blob

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
Donor
Reaction score
Summer is fast approaching by the way. Perhaps we should coincide the beginning of summer with some well-timed advertising? ;)

We aren't going to die though. The Premium servers have always been like this.
The Classic servers have always been heavily populated, with Premium averaging maybe 24 players at a time.

Duffie

Reaction score
Website
duffieshirayuki.deviantart.com
Summer is fast approaching by the way. Perhaps we should coincide the beginning of summer with some well-timed advertising? ;)

We aren't going to die though. The Premium servers have always been like this.
The Classic servers have always been heavily populated, with Premium averaging maybe 24 players at a time.
That would probably be best, in my opinion.

We definitely won't die, but if we want more members, some advertising set up before summer break officially begins in the US would prove to bring in players. There will no doubt be some people who will look for some servers they'll feel like trying out over the summer, and having our server set up just might make their choice. ;)

• Agree
Reactions: Infected_alien8_
Status
Not open for further replies.