Betting

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Just an idea (that could totally be the worst ever) but every now and then we could have a round that enables betting. This involves a player being able to bet a certain amount of brains that another player will survive/get the most kills (if it's possible to have both, that is). For example, Bob votes 100 brains that Liam will survive the round. If Liam should die, Bob looses 100 brains. If he should survive, he gains 100 brains. Just an idea. :)

Reactions: Guinessis

Nottykitten

Nomnomnom kitteh!
Reaction score
Just an idea (that could totally be the worst ever) but every now and then we could have a round that enables betting. This involves a player being able to bet a certain amount of brains that another player will survive/get the most kills (if it's possible to have both, that is). For example, Bob votes 100 brains that Liam will survive the round. If Liam should die, Bob looses 100 brains. If he should survive, he gains 100 brains. Just an idea. :)
I like it. Tough I think this could "ruin" the economy because it might be easy to get lots of brains very fast.
If theres any way to prevent that. [Like only bettings once a day or something] I think it is great!

Guinessis

Reaction score
A quick few remarks.

I like the idea a lot. I don't think that players should be allowed to bet on other people as I can see that turning into harassment or being abused/exploited.

How about we allow people to bet on themselves to survive?

In between rounds, an announcement broadcasts "Place your bet that you will survive the next round now! /bet [AMOUNT] (maximum of xxx - this is important, otherwise the stakes are too high)."

After 10 seconds another broadcast is set with a list of people who bet:

========== MARKED FOR DEATH ==========
1. Baker93 - 1000 Brains
2. Lagwarrior - 250 Brains
3. Guinessis - 100 Brains.
=====================================

Then regular map voting begins.

Once the round starts, there are several outcomes.

1. The player disconnects and loses that amount. Tough shakes, but otherwise I see a lot of potential for abuse. Perhaps use the same function that is used to prevent pvplogging.

2. The player becomes first hunter, and the server makes fun of them. They lose their stash.

3. The player is killed by a hunter. The hunter who lands the killing blow is rewarded with x% of the total bet, and the player who bet loses the entire amount.

4. The player survives. They win the entire amount, and x% of the amount is evenly distributed among the other survivors.

Shared rewards/penalties discourage matchfixing, and the betting limit should keep things from getting too crazy. Still if people are rigging things then measures can be taken.

Downsides:

"GUYS GUYS PLS DONT KILL ME GUYS IM GOING FOR THE NEXT RANK LOL OMG U GUYS R JERKS I HAET U ALL"

Overall the net result will be an increase in the rewards after the round. Since the brains aren't linked to overpowered gear this should be ok, but things should still be monitored.

crashb23

The Rising Star
Reaction score
I agree with Guin on this one. I don't think betting on someone else makes sense. They could die on purpose or relog just to troll you. However, betting on yourself makes it just your own confidence in your skill on the line.

Reactions: Infected_alien8_
Reaction score
Just a way I think this could be handled well. Let the player bet X amount on themselves, with a cap of, say, 500(x) brains = X, with x being their purchased rank. Each rank one add become x+1, so each new rank you buy let's you bet another 500 brains on yourself.

Now, have 2 different ways bets are handled. Either make it so everytime you kill someone else, give 7% of their betted amounts as brains to them. This % would go down the higher rank you are, so a Hero would be getting only 4% of their bet as brains or such. If it's a juggernaut round and your the juggernaut, make the percentage closer to 2% to start, so our Hero would be getting .5% of their bet as brains for jug kills.

The other way, is make a bet you will survive/get most kills as dark hunter. This would give your bet * 1.1 back to you. Any kills gotten as a survivor will give you the normal brain amount, but nothing extra. Any kills as a dark hunter will get normal brain amount, unless you are also the top hunter, which will give your bet * 1.1 back. If your the juggernaut, your money back if you survive would be reduced to 1.05 * bet.

Also, whenever someone quit, their bet would be lost. Any bet already paid out would not be lost (say they disconnected after getting 200 brains from a kill bet), but the rest would be forfeit. Any time someone bet on themselves, it would show the server and amounts, and killing someone would give you .25 of their bet.

This way keeps a incentive for survivors/hunters to bet on themselves, while keeping it mostly safe from people cheating. It also let's people know who will give the most brains to kill.

Friendy

SMP Overlord & Events Manager
Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
I agree with Guin on this one. I don't think betting on someone else makes sense. They could die on purpose or relog just to troll you. However, betting on yourself makes it just your own confidence in your skill on the line.
How would the bet that is placed get removed? If it is anything like the bounty system on the old SMP map, then that will not happen. The bet will stay there until the round ends, you'll receive your win or you wont. Re-logging shouldn't cancel the bet, but if they are logged out when the round ends it should transfer over to the next round they play, so that way there cannot be any match-fixing so that players log-off, etc.

Friendy

Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
Fun fact: While every hunter is going for the large group of survivors that are constantly killing every hunter, there is that 1 new guy who is like "LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL SO EASY" and then wins the game. This happens a lot, so don't bet your last dime on something that is so common! ;)

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
> wait until late at night when no one is on
> log on with friend
> keep betting on each other every round taking turns
> get rich

Just sayin'
Well usually late at night is someone's morning/mid day, but I do see what you mean. Maybe only apply betting on when, say, 5 + people are online. Also, I think I like guin's idea best of betting on yourself.

Friendy

Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
> wait until late at night when no one is on
> log on with friend
> keep betting on each other every round taking turns
> get rich

Just sayin'
The bet should only be what you place, so whoever wins it only wins what that person put as a bet.

• Winner
Reactions: ealev

myusername22

A username.
Donor
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com
This looks like a really good idea I would like to see in game, however I think it would work better if instead of betting with the server the plugin bet players money against others money,adding little or no cookies into the economy whatsoever also players should not be able to bet against themselves.