AoD Unwritten Rules Review

DKnucklehead

Geezuslike
Donor
Reaction score
Our list of /rules that is provided on AoD is admittedly vague, and not a catch-all for every situation that occurs in the game. It takes time on our server to learn all the nuances of the game, and what is allowed/disallowed for players. Word of mouth from player to player allows us to keep track of these unwritten rules, and do our best as players to follow them. Spawn Camping is an example of this, as while it is not a rule that is listed specifically, it does fall under the category of breaking rules 6 and 9. Fortunately for us, this breaking of this rule is easily spotted by players and staff and it is understood by staff of what measures should take place to stop it.

There are instances where the rules are not easily drawn out however, and the word of mouth technique has led to conflicting reports, with one player saying this staff member said this while the other players state the opposite. I feel the staff members have grown confused as well by all this recently, and it may do us good to have a thread such as this to review and outline where the rules lie, so they can enforce them with more proof in their pudding.

First, before I get into some examples that I feel should be discussed, allow me to post our current rules for the server:

____________________________________________________________________________​

These are the written rules that are being forced as of this date - September 28th, 2013:

Baker's list of rules outlined in the thread: Important Rule Update. Please Read. (Written on July 19th 2013.)
1. Absolutely no hacking in any form, whatsoever​
2. Do not abuse flaws, glitches or bugs. This includes evading the Capslock filter.
3. No pillaring/towering. You may only use shop bought towers.
4. If hiding in a sealed off hole, you must keep it 5x5x5 minimum​
5. If you are sneaking, there must be a way to get you without altering blocks​
6. Show good sportsmanship, and use common sense​
7. keep the language to a minimum. Do not insult players.​
8. Speak English in public chat​
9. Any move deemed asshol-ish by staff is punishable​
10. Always have fun! Have a good experience on the server!​
___________________________________________________________________________​
1. The Use Of Invisibility Potions.
There's been a back and forth on the enforcement of Invisibility potions. For a while, those using it had to have at least one piece of armor for them to be legal. This allowed for players with "particles off" to be able to see invisible survivors. This unwritten rule regarding the armor has apparently been changed and removed, but I would like some confirmation on this.​
2. The Ability To Legally Hit A Survivor Through A Block/ Glass Pane.
I have admittedly used this to my advantage as a Hunter on multiple occasions. If I see someone in a tower sneaking and their butt is sticking out from shifting, BOOM, I'll take my arrow and hit through the block. This can be seen in the above picture, where my sneaking has caused my head to break through the presumed block barrier, but my hitbox extends through this, leaving my vulnerable. There was an instance of the [TAG] map SilverEdge, where one person was sneaking behind a plane of glass, which resulted in their head and shoulder coming through the glass, allowing me to hit them. The person killed deemed this as breaking Rule 2, as they deemed it a glitch. The staff member at the time was unsure of this, and left it unresolved without punishments enforced. In my opinion, this is a glitch of Minecraft itself, not AoD, and should not be enforced since it is part of the game mechanics itself.​
___________________________________________________________________________​
Two should be good to start with. I would prefer for non-staff to refrain from posting unless it is PRODUCTIVE to a Rules Question at hand, unless you have a rules question of your own that you would like answered. This ensures that we have the most Official word on every ruling, and keeps this thread away from Towers Vs No Towers threads that have plagued these forums. Please think before you post.
Official Rules Rulings (Staff member cited in parenthesis when applicable)​
1. While pillars and towers are illegal, stairs and paths are legal.​
2. Don't attack spawn. Do not attack from spawn.​
3. Invisibility potions are being slowly removed from maps. If you witness someone making them still, report it. (jammy001)​
4. Do not fire arrows in the lobby. (jammy001)​
5. The use of /shop only once per round, per player, is encouraged. (lovedaice)​
6. Hitting a survivor through a block/ glass plane is illegal, as it is considered glitch abuse. (jammy001)​
7. Excessive use of /kill or killing oneself, to become a hunter at the start of a round is discouraged. On TAG maps however, this is completely illegal, and a warning could occur. (jammy001)​
8. Excessive log-offs after chosen as first hunter should be reported to staff (jammy001)​

Danni122112

The Drunk
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score

Danni122112

The Drunk
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
It would be good to have a list of confirmed unwritten rules, so Danni122112 I'll add the stairs rule first. Also if others could post some confirmed rules I'll add those to the list as well.
So there is also this: Dont shoot from spawn.

This is for several reasons:
  • Can cause confusion wether survivors would be allowed to shoot back etc.
  • Survivors that shoot back might hit other hunters, making it a spawnkill, and other hunters getting mad, and so on.
  • Its a spawn, you spawn there and then go away from it.
While I havent this 120% confirmed, and not from baker, I have been told by several staff members that is illegal to shoot from spawn. It would be great if Baker, or any other staff could confirm this.

Elita

Reaction score
There seems to be an unwritten rule about "camping" that I still don't understand.
Like, it's something people complain about, and there seems to be a server message that warns you when you are doing it? I wasn't sure, so I've asked about it a couple times and there seems to be some contention about it. People always give me vague, conflicting, or unhelpful answers.
I get this warning when I am just hiding, and not moving around. Is it against the rules to not move? I like to hide in AoD. It's the only skill I have from Zombies that transfers over well, so I do it on most maps. It's a little frustrating though, when I'm standing behind a tree or something, and the server says, 'hey, you can't stand here now.' and I'm still not sure whyyy.

Lupus_Stevens

Geezuslike
Donor
Reaction score
There seems to be an unwritten rule about "camping" that I still don't understand.
Like, it's something people complain about, and there seems to be a server message that warns you when you are doing it? I wasn't sure, so I've asked about it a couple times and there seems to be some contention about it. People always give me vague, conflicting, or unhelpful answers.
I get this warning when I am just hiding, and not moving around. Is it against the rules to not move? I like to hide in AoD. It's the only skill I have from Zombies that transfers over well, so I do it on most maps. It's a little frustrating though, when I'm standing behind a tree or something, and the server says, 'hey, you can't stand here now.' and I'm still not sure whyyy.
It's not illegal to camp, per se, just frowned upon as a cheap strategy. However, there is an anti-camping system in place to make sure you don't just spend the entire round hiding on one block. You don't have to move around a lot to fix this, though.

Mmarz11

Former AoD Dev
Reaction score
NOTE: These are my own personal opinions and may be incorrect.

As far as I know it is fine to use invisibility potions with no armor on. I believe the main issue that caused there to be a rule for some time was that survivors were getting invisibility on the map Reverence (?). As this is a bug it shouldn't be exploited to easily win the round.

I do not think this should be allowed and would consider it breaking rule 2. I would not like it if I am trying to survive and the reason I die is because a player shot me through a block. I think all MineCraft bugs/glitches should be enforced otherwise some serious problems could happen. I have known of some serious bugs such as god mode and item duplication in the past and these bugs ruin the game and AoD.

While towers are illegal, stair and paths are legal, that might was well be an "unwritten" rule. Basicly, towers should be easy to climb.
Have heard it from multiple staff in the past and with Baker confirming I think this is obvious now.

Dont shoot from spawn.
Shooting from spawn only leads into people shooting back and causing confusion. The person shooting from the spawn might cause other players to get killed and claim spawn killing. All in all it just causes too many problems.

(I happened to notice that you recently looked (was trying to remember your numbers) but just to make sure)
I get alerted by every post made in certain sections of the forums. You'll usually find me checking them regularly ;)

It has been a part of AoD for as long as I can remember and I just accepted it and played. Never really thought about it before. A few things it helps with is taking care of players who hide illegally in a 1 x 1 x 2 box and also helps kick players who are AFK so that people who are actually going to play the game get on.

What about spamming arrows in the lobby?
I believe this is to prevent people from carrying over arrows between maps.

Danni122112

The Drunk
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
Baker said this was to keep people from hiding in a 1x2x1 hole, wich I have seen happend several times before. (Mostly new players)

Arachadonic

Reaction score
Website
www.watchingyou.com
5. If you are sneaking, there must be a way to get you without altering blocks
I am assuming this is the "Unreachable" rule.
However, going by this rule you could not sneak and be unreachable yet it wouldnt break the rules?
I could see new players get the wrong impression of what being "Unreachable" is and it could be worded better.
Maybe simply:
5. There must be a way to get to you without altering blocks
Simply drop the first few words and it is as clear as day with no chance of anyone trying to use the loophole in this rule.

Reaction score
5. If you are sneaking, there must be a way to get you without altering blocks
I am assuming this is the "Unreachable" rule.
However, going by this rule you could not sneak and be unreachable yet it wouldnt break the rules?
I could see new players get the wrong impression of what being "Unreachable" is and it could be worded better.
Maybe simply:
5. There must be a way to get to you without altering blocks
Simply drop the first few words and it is as clear as day with no chance of anyone trying to use the loophole in this rule.
From the rules, I think you can, as long as you are not sneaking, hide in a 5*5*5 box. Never seen this in action, because of the hassle in making such a box while being far enough as to make the box actually useful.

Mmarz11

Former AoD Dev
Reaction score
From the rules, I think you can, as long as you are not sneaking, hide in a 5*5*5 box. Never seen this in action, because of the hassle in making such a box while being far enough as to make the box actually useful.

I usually do this on Contaminated. I will dig a pretty good distance and then place TNT. The TNT will usually make the hole large enough.

Haysagar

AoD Con
Reaction score
Most of the invis potion's are actually getting removed. If I do notice someone making a invis potion on a map I will most likely remove it asap(Now if you want to report a map with invis potion's on it I will gladly remove them from the map).

This is considered glitch abusing and I will warn someone for using this glitch.

While towers are illegal, stair and paths are legal, that might was well be an "unwritten" rule. Basicly, towers should be easy to climb.
Yup that basically is how tower's are suppose to be now.

Dont shoot from spawn.
Now I this is kind of iffy. If a hunter does start shooting from spawn you are allowed to kill him. If the spawn is unreachable by the survivor's then this isn't allowed.

Umm yes we still have an anti camping system in place but it's main purpose was back when AoD was first open. If a survivors stayed in a loaded chunk long enough they would become invincible. So Iggy had to add in a anti camping system to prevent survivor's from doing this. This bug is fixed now I believe but I'm not 100% if it's main purpose is to prevent player's from hiding in 1x1x2 hole's. I really don't mind if someone hide's in a small hole like that. Hunter's can all way's /locate to find a survivor.

What about spamming arrows in the lobby?
Now I did just test this out and it can be used to save arrow's for the next round. This would fall under common sense and it is warn able. So please report anyone that is found doing this.

Hopefully this clears some thing's up and remember I don't have the final say on all of this. This is simply how I will be enforcing the rule's but Baker has the final call on how thing's are to be dealt with.

Reactions: Arachadonic

Love

Princess ♥
Donor
Reaction score
For Jammy001 about the maps (TMCK) with invisi pots readily available (And my apologies if I mis-spell maps):
AvenguardKeep (A chest to the left of spawn in the river: 02:15 time)
DogFight (A chest in the maze/labyrinth: 02:15 time (iirc))
Narrows (Hunter kit, not sure which one exactly: Not terribly long (iirc))
I remember Shambala (Though, now taken out of the rotation but still a mention) having access to an Invisi potion. Time and location of materials unknown.
Organic (Potion named "Glitch": 00:30 time, location unknown.)
Feel free to name a few more if you know of any.

Also to Jammy's point about being able to /loctate, on some maps such as the [TAG] maps, which is highly understandable, and namely (for one) Aerodash, the /locate command is disabled. As well on some other maps, but I do not know of them at the moment. Feel free to provide map names if found.

Making a lot of edits as the thread progresses.

Danni122112

The Drunk
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
This is considered glitch abusing and I will warn someone for using this glitch.
Regarding the glass plane "glitch".

This have been accepted as perfectly legal over the last four SMP's, and also on AoD when I have asked. In general, its your own fault if you stand so tight up into a glass plane that your body sticks through it. One arrow will not normally kill you either.

Are you 100% sure that this is not legal on AoD any more?

MustabearXD

Reaction score
Not sure if this is a rule or not, but in the past I have used store bought towers and just kept putting them on top of each other to reach a significant height. Baker was online at the time and told me that the purpose of shop bought towers is to use only one. However I still see people using towers upon towers, I am just not sure if the message has been spread out towards the players. May I get some verification upon this?

Love

Princess ♥
Donor
Reaction score
Not sure if this is a rule or not, but in the past I have used store bought towers and just kept putting them on top of each other to reach a significant height. Baker was online at the time and told me that the purpose of shop bought towers is to use only one. However I still see people using towers upon towers, I am just not sure if the message has been spread out towards the players. May I get some verification upon this?

We had something in place where you could only do /shop ONCE, and then in took 10 minutes for /shop to be enabled for you.

Then the servers updated and some of the nifty additions such as that were temporarily lost.
As shown in the AoD Screenshot Thread, this has seemed to become I problem. As of I will try to enforce the use of /shop only once per round per player.

If the other staff would like to do that, feel free.

Solis22/Jwhitty
Mmarz11
captain_pikmin
mythelf

DKnucklehead

Geezuslike
Donor
Reaction score
Regarding the glass plane "glitch".

This have been accepted as perfectly legal over the last four SMP's, and also on AoD when I have asked. In general, its your own fault if you stand so tight up into a glass plane that your body sticks through it. One arrow will not normally kill you either.

Are you 100% sure that this is not legal on AoD any more?

Jammy001 Would you like to counter this, or would you like me to add your previous official ruling on it?

~~~~​

Alrighty, I think it's time to add some more questions to the poll. While they both have been ruled punishable if abused, I felt that it could use some clarification in staff writing as to where the lines are drawn, and for easier reference when needed.

The use of /kill at the start of a round to prematurely become Hunters.
This has been an chronic issue with some, and much of the playerbase feels it hurts the integrity of the game. While those who have been repeatedly doing this have been appropriately warned and/or punished, I felt it necessary to clarify the ruling of it. Here are some questions that may answer that:

1. With the intent on becoming an unnatural Hunter, is the use of /kill illegal? How many times should it be done before an official warning takes place? (I know it is frowned upon, but would just like it in staff's wording)​

2. What should non-staff do if we see this behavior? Would you like us to report this to a staff member?​
First Hunter/Only Hunter Leaving
3...2...1...Player X is chosen!!
Phew, everyone in your tower is human! Hooray!

Player X has left the game ~Player X has no shame.

Great.. now the hunter has left, fully knowing that he was picked. Now you or someone else is the new hunter. This is a situation that has occurred numerous times since the beginning, and still occurs to this day. So with the situation covered, here are the questions:

1. Fully knowing you are the First Hunter/Only Hunter in a map, is it illegal to leave? (Again, mostly just want the official wording on this).​
2. When should non-staff report this behavior? On the first instance, or when there is proven chronic behavior?​
~~~~​

But yes, those are the two situations that I'd like explained, for easier citing and pasting into the game. Others, feel free to ask questions about these situations that I haven't asked.

Reactions: Arachadonic

Arachadonic

Reaction score
Website
www.watchingyou.com
I don't have a question but when this is all sorted and clarified the main post should be edited to include all the unwritten rules, posts deleted and stickied as this would be very beneficial to have permanently there.