A forum contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

James81818

Dat Lsmp Op
Reaction score
According to some ops, a while ago 12plm held a forum related contest were zombie survival players were in teams and in a space of about two weeks played each other at zombie survival. Whichever time survived the longest would gain points. Obviously this is just an idea at the minute that will need discussion, but if;

1. The ops+ were happy enough with this going ahead.
2. Players were happy enough to join in with this idea.

I would be happy to spend time trying to get this contest to go ahead. I would need your discussion here to help bring this idea into action but this would be the general idea;

You would sort out teams and enter through the forums. There will be a post that keeps tracks of teams and team names.

Each team could have up to 5 players, though not all need to play at once. I.e if one team challenges another then there must be even amounts from each team playing.

Team scores would be kept track of through the forums( we would work out a point system beforehand)

This will hopefully done in the spirit of fun, so there may not be a prize for the winning team, but hopefully if the ops are happy with this idea and want it to go ahead then they might have some kind of prize on offer.

Hopefully an op+ will always be on when teams are playing against each other so that ops+ may inform us of who won between different teams so that the correct amount of points could be awarded.

So that is all I can think of now. Ops+ please consider this proposal, and if anyone has any other suggestions about this please post here.

Thank you all :)

Reactions: jackamel

kraby1

The Big Red Monster From Hell.
Reaction score
Hm. I'm joining but first...

I'm not sure If I understood it right, so INGAME on the SERVER team members will be challenging one another on a runner map (for example runrunrun)?

Also, I can predict lot's of people joining so we would need Like 10 teams maybe...or increase the team members number to like 10.

James81818

Dat Lsmp Op
Reaction score
There can be quite a lot of teams :)

The stats would be keep on the forums(points, teams etc)
You could ask to play another team ingame if enough of each team are on or you could set a date through the forums.

Mikey

The Pig
Reaction score
James, I just suggested this a few months ago on the old forums; instead of having a point system, how about an elimination bracket? I can easily make a well structured tournament bracket in less than an hour. It can either be double elimination or single, I'd say double for unlucky purposes. Otherwise, I'd love to see this happen! it would bring spice to the server and a very competitive feel.

Reactions: Trap_Wolf

James81818

Dat Lsmp Op
Reaction score
Nill, if the points were a problem before, then I will make sure they are worked out well, so that if this goes ahead there will be no problems with the points.

Mike, that might work actually, if you are happy to help I am sure we could sort out some sort of point systems through elimination ;)

Chillingworth

Ex-Zombie VetOp | Ex-AoD Op
Reaction score
James, I just suggested this a few months ago on the old forums; instead of having a point system, how about an elimination bracket? I can easily make a well structured tournament bracket in less than an hour. It can either be double elimination or single, I'd say double for unlucky purposes. Otherwise, I'd love to see this happen! it would bring spice to the server and a very competitive feel.
Someone should definitely make a sexy tournament bracket with pretty graphics.

Trap_Wolf

dam u str8 babygurl
Reaction score
Website
www.trapwolf.com
Someone should definitely make a sexy tournament bracket with pretty graphics.
-UPFORTHAT-

Yeah I remember the old contest and here's one thing I think we should mention in the making of teams though:

Try to remember the time you do play mostly. It'd be nice if the same members could be on the same acceptable timezone((times they are able to be on the computer)). I dunno how you're going to get teams to face each other though if you have the teams on a different timezone.

ACTUALLY IDEA. If this is a game of seeing which time can surive the most then I have a proposition:
Get an Op during the time the team in question can be on. That Op will remember the five usernames and track their suriving times. Example:

TO KEEP THIS EASY WE'RE ONLY GOING TO HAVE THREE TEAM MEMBERS.
Team 1: Player A, B, and C
Team 2: Player D, E, and F

Round starts for Team 1 at 3:00 GMT on the map Bootcamp.
Player A died at /t - 8:34
Player C died at /t - 3:59
Player B died at /t - 1:02

Round starts for Team 2 at 6:30 EST on the map Bootcamp.
Player E died at /t - 5:46
Player F survived!
Player D survived!
In this instance Team 2 would move on in the bracket.

Team 1: Player A, B, and C
Team 2: Player D, E, and F
Round starts for Team 1 at 3:00 GMT on the map Bootcamp.
Player A died at /t - 7:24
Player C died at /t - 7:13
Player B died at /t - 0:54
Round starts for Team 2 at 6:30 EST on the map Bootcamp.
Player E died at /t - 8:24
Player F died at /t - 7:13
Player D died at /t - 1:07

Because player B was the last one to surive the longer than player D Team 1 would move on in the bracket.
As I was making these examples I came with the thought of keeping it fair. We should keep the same teams on the same maps.

YES. I realize this looks like a lot of work to find Ops/Vetops willing to referee and type down times but this is my example of how we could make this contest possible and keep it fair to each teams. My version would make it that the teams vs each other do not have to be on at the same time. This could give those who are keeping track of the contest some ease.

A vetop could easy come on and que the appropriate map that "Team 1" has to survive on. Then the next time when all of "Team 2" is on the map could be qued again.

-Anything you want me to clear up just ask I suppose-

-Meh, It's just an idea I thought of right now. .__.

James81818

Dat Lsmp Op
Reaction score
Okay thanks mike. We can work from there once that's done. In the mean time, trap wolf it's a good idea but yes means quite a bit of work for ops and vet ops and also more skilled players may be on for one team, while the other team may have less experienced zombies on at the same time. So I still think the teams should play at the same time. (and possibly take an average of each team members time?)

One other problem is if newer members of the forum and zombie survival want to be in a team, but the more experienced players don't want players with a small amount of experience- how do we get around that?

Alisha

Mafia Host
Mafia Mod
Reaction score
I helped run that forum contest and I fully support this idea. It's going to be hard to keep it completely fair and points tracking is an issue, along with player intrest.

IntensiK

Forever
Reaction score
I'm all for it.

There are many issues and a lot to think about when running a competition/tournament on the zombie server, which is why we haven't held a official one yet and probably won't until we figure out a 100% fair way to hold one. Most of the player-run tournaments are either unorganized or somewhat unfair in the sense that it's difficult to keep track of everything in regards to points/people/maps/etc. & especially in team-oriented tournies.

Things to consider in no real order:
What maps are viable in the tournament/which aren't?
Will it be a zombie vs. human/human vs. human/zombie vs. zombie tournament?
Who will be in charge of keeping track of the contestants/points/maps, if it's more than one person how will they collaborate to make sure everyone is given a fair chance?
How will the teams be split? Will the brackets be fair? Will there be a time limit?
In terms of dealing with timezones, are you fully willing to keep record of every match?
Will there be tournament rules in regards to anything that you cannot control server-wise? (i.e crashes/maps/in-game time/etc.)

I'm sure there are a lot more, there were a couple of threads on the old forums (maybe even in this one) about running fair tournaments.

If you're willing on putting the time/work into making an organized tournament then you have my full approval, just show me any rules/brackets/threads that you'll make so I can deem it suitable for the server. ;)

Friendy

SMP Overlord & Events Manager
Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
Have a 10v10-15v15 Team, Half zombies, Half humans, If the Humans are caught then their name changes to _Caught_ Or something (No skin needed) and then It is easy to see who was caught and who wasn't.

IntensiK

Forever
Reaction score
Have a 10v10-15v15 Team, Half zombies, Half humans, If the Humans are caught then their name changes to _Caught_ Or something (No skin needed) and then It is easy to see who was caught and who wasn't.
We have no control over who join the server and who doesn't, the players that aren't participating in the tournament would likely interfere with it. I suggest smaller teams of 2-5 players in a "surviving" tournament since it'll be the easiest to keep track of.

Mikey

The Pig
Reaction score
Basically Any maps should be able to be in this tournament, I cant see why not. If there is any issues on maps, post away on it.
It will be a human vs human tournament(whatever team of humans survive the longest gets the win, this seems the most fun)
I'm guessing ill volunteer to be in charge, I have been planing this for a long long time. James can organize it with me as well, sense this is partly both of our ideas.
People will pick there own teams/team names teams can be up to 5 people. 4 people will play and a substitute(if one is needed) Teams will verse other teams randomly. The time limit is the round..
With the timezones, I can still be on through my night hours. This can only be on weekends though. I will schedule a match accordingly to timezones.

TOURNAMENT RULES--
-Players must attend all match, if they do not show up, they will play against the team no matter what. Even if its 2v4.
-If someone participating in the tournament starts the hunt, that is unlucky, but it will count..
-Server crashes will reset the whole match, this hopefully will not arise.
-All regular maps will be in this tournament, you may hide/run according to your strategy and tactic.
-More rules as we go!

THIS WILL BE A DOUBLE ELIMINATION TOURNAMENT!

BRACKET: http://challonge.com/tournaments/145538/preview -- just an example

Any other volunteers will be gladly accepted.

Any questions, comments and/or concerns, Post away!

omgitsathong

PinWheels
Reaction score
Hmmm, to maybe help balance the tournament, all players who are going to participate should be placed into groups randomly. This will prevent all the vet players picking each other on the same team, and then it wouldn't be really a fair tournament. But this is just an idea, it would be really good to balance the teams since most vet players know most to all secrets, and are fairly good at running. So yeah, maybe put this into consideration :D

Mikey

The Pig
Reaction score
But the point of the tournament is to use strategy, I know myself I do not want to be paired with a random person.. There are many vet players. But I see what your saying, the random, newer players can use strategy or tactical gameplay whether is a group of friends from school or a a bunch of different people. In every single tournament there has ever been for anything, there is always an underdog. It will be interesting to see if these new players can pull off a win against the vets.

Degekken

Reaction score
I will be in if it is a both human vs human (survival.) and zombie vs zombie (kills).
Like:
The Immortal players (Humans)!:
Best humans!: [Teamname]
Second!: [Teamname]
Third!: [Teamname]

The life-ending players (Zombies)!:
Best zombies!: [Teamname]
Second!: [Teamname]
Third!: [Teamname]

James81818

Dat Lsmp Op
Reaction score
That should be added, what letterp said.

Intensik, I will personally make sure all issues you have stated and any others we can think of will be sorted before this begins.

Mike, I think there may be some unfairness in terms of maps. Some may know secrets on some, while others may get runner maps. However I am not sure how to get around this ,so it may just have be all maps available in the competition(that are in the rotation)

I can see how it would be fairer if teams were random and not player chosen. Only problem is a lot of players are going to want to go with their friends.

I think for now it should just be a human vs human contest, but there could possibly be a few seperate awards for the top 3 zombies etc.

Also, thank you all for your willingness to join in and consider this idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.