REVIVAL OF MAFIA: Dire Streets {(OVER: FENCE WIN + town)}

Status
Not open for further replies.

sessybessy

aka Jenben101
Creative Staff
Survival Staff
Reaction score
Well I was bandwagoning to be fairly honest. But the more I thought of it, the more suspicious road became but then people began targeting me for voting for road so I changed it to a joke.

To be honest I'm not entirely sure why it's an issue.

Rune

Resident Roadman | Deception Lead
Admin
Donor
AoD Staff
Survival Staff
Reaction score
In my opinion, right now Geek does seem a little scummy because of what she was saying earlier however there is also something to consider here.

Firstly, people who are taking night 0 seriously should maybe consider if its being jokey or not, because you cant base anything off night 0 since its such a mixed bag.

Secondly, it does seem like what Geek is trying to do is trying to protect her life in this game because she is

a) a newbie player who feels like she is getting atta ked by mafia and whatever she says will be taken as being serious and therefore used against her.

Or b) Somebody here is trying to make it seem a lot worse than it actually is.

There is definitely somebody here who is voting for Geek here because they know its a easy bandwagon to get rid of a potential townie. Therefore someone who is voting is defo scummy and that we should look at each vote and determine if they are not scummy or bandwagoning.

Also, I have no one who I find suspicious yet. But Tim trying to get rid of Geek because of a 'goodbye' seems like a made up excuse to cover your points and look leas scummy. It feels like he overreacted a little too much.

I can't vote for anyone though because there isn't really anything except for a newbie who cannot protect herself from a bandwagon which would be the EASIEST option for mafia.

Ltin

Mafia Host
Reaction score
Well I was bandwagoning to be fairly honest. But the more I thought of it, the more suspicious road became but then people began targeting me for voting for road so I changed it to a joke.

Your reason for doing something can't change after the fact.

superhalo6

Reaction score
Could be a carefully playing townie but right now you are more suspicious than Geek in my opinion. I want to hear some opinions from Runemen4 and Mulbery and superhalo6 on who they consider suspicious as they haven't done much all game.
I'd give Geekenstein the benefit of the doubt they are just confused and worried about this, although Notme did vote for The Road To Ruin in the first place, so it wasn't like Geekenstein was the first person to suggest lynching them. The Road To Ruin vote was the first reason people started being suspicious of Geek?

Friendy

SMP Overlord & Events Manager
Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
I honestly am sick and tired of this. Can we grow up and actually play a mafia game without falling over a good luck noye to the towb or a bandwagon vote.

Is that too much to ask guys?
Well this is how the game is played, the fact you keep reacting like this can also imply you're upset you might get lynched because you got a good role.

• Agree
Reactions: Duffie

MarsKid

Mafia Host
Reaction score
Votecount:
Geekenstein = 5(Friendy, Notme, Ooglie101, Infected_alien8_, Nottykitten)
Infected_alien8_ = 1(Vatumok)

19 players, 10 needed at least to achieve majority

Nottykitten

Nomnomnom kitteh!
Reaction score
These last 2 pages have really been a mess. Geekenstein I'm going to keep my vote on you I will explain why exactly in my next post. In this post however, I'm going to recap everything that happened. I'll give my opinion on your actions and my advice on what I think you did wrong and why. Nobody likes being told they're making mistakes, but I'm only making this post to try and explain to you how you got in the situation you are in now. And you might learn something from this post and not make these mistakes next time(or tomorrow if you're not lynched). Keep in mind these are all my opinion on what are mistakes, but I think I understand Mafia well enough to try and give you advice on it.

Mafia is a very fun but complicated game. There is no 'truely correct' way of playing Mafia, as everyone has their own playstyle. It can be very hard for first-time players to find their place in Mafia and find out how this game works. You might not have had much fun this game so far, but I hope you still consider joining next game now that you've grasped a bit of how the game works. It gets waay more fun once you understand how it's played.

That said, here is my "POSTZILLA, WHAT AM I A KANGAROO?" post that's very long and not 100% neccesairy to read for people that aren't Geek. But if anyone else is confused on what is happening exactly or just wants a recap of EVERYTHING with this entire geek situation you can try and read this post to read a chronological order of what happened with my opinion on the events included. You might understand why we find Geek suspicious so far.

You went into this game pretty excited, since Mafia is an exciting game to be playing. You saw the nonsense that was happening at the start and you decided to join the jokes and fun with your own joke votes on friendy and road. Honestly I saw nothing wrong with this since it's day 0 and votes fly around like mosquitos on day 0. I also voted three times but it practically means nothing on day 0 unless you have intentions behind it that aren't joking.

Then on page 3 after road got 3 votes, Vat asked why you/Friendy were so keen on lynching someone possibly innocent. Pretty nasty question by vat to ask the new players because it was this question where everything went downhill, but I think it was a pretty good from Vat nontheless because it showed how the new players would react when being confronted. Here is where you said the following:

Well their post seemed a bit suspicious how they asked if you could kill people at night. It's a perfectly alright reason to lynch someone even if they are innocent.
I think this was a big mistake, you felt like Vat was seriously accusing you so you came up with the first reasoning you could think of to try and explain your voting while I don't think you actually had reasoning besides joke voting. Phrasing here matters, because saying "even if they are innocent" implies that you'd lynch even a proven innocent player for saying this. I doubt this is what you meant but I read it like that for sure.

The next big mistake here what I think is the "It's a perfectly alright reason to lynch someone 'for'". I mean really? You're trying to tell us, the more experienced players, what a good reason for lynching someone is?Sure, everyone has their own ideas of what those good reasons are, and I encourage new players to express themselves and share their opinion, but this read very wrong in my opinion. You went into super defending mode, took this accusation waay to seriously and I read this as an agressive tone saying "My vote is justified because I know perfectly well how Mafia works". That's just how I read it maybe others didn't see anything behind this.

Then you unvoted to vote on the GIVE RATINGS BACK vote which I honestly very much appreciated thanks <3. Just be carefull not to abuse the ratings too much. I say this since you've rated three posts 'Dislike' of people who were just trying to get some answers out of you. The 'Dislike' rating really has no place in Mafia as it serves no real purpose to see who shares what opinion, unlike the agree rating. I only ever think it's justified if someone is personally attacking you and making you feel really bad and upset because of it. This might have been how you felt, but keep in mind there is a difference between 'Personally attacking' and 'Targeting'. In the former someone is insulting you personally for whatever reason, and in the latter people in the game are choosing you to "pick on" and vote/lead an argument against for whatever reasons they have. This could be because theyre Mafia and new players are easy food, or because they're town and convinced you're Mafia.

The next thing that happened is that you make a few posts on page 5 about how we don't have evidence on anyone and we should wait with lynching for now. Friendy voted you for "being a noob" which is a joke obviously because you're new, and for being too keen to not lynch someone. Then Ltin voted for road because Road had voted No Lynch and Ltin says that Road should of known better. Because "It is still advantageous to lynch". Since this topic is mostly debatable I take this vote with a grain of salt. After that you made the following post:

Gonna place my vote on Road To Ruin

Unvote

vote Road To Ruin

Question:
If somebody dies do their ranks get revealed to us after they die or is it secretive until the game is over?
Your first mistake here was giving no reasoning as to why you were voting Road. I've made plenty of votes in my life without reasoning, but if you do you can 100% expect people are going to find it suspicious you didn't give a reason and are going to ask you for that reasoning. And it's just better in general to give a reasoning so people can understand what you're doing.

The second mistake here in my eyes was making this vote in the first place. You felt attacked by Friendy with the reasoning of being too keen to not lynch someone. You went into super defense mode again, and tried to do everything to make it seem like you're not Mafia so you decided to vote someone to do the opposite of what Friendy accused you of. This is very very suspicious because it seems you're only doing it to seem innocent. This is probabily when people(including me) started thinking you're suspicious and believing you're Mafia. Ltin in his latest post says it how we view it:

So you basically said it to try and save your skin?
This is a very Mafia thing to do, especially when it was litterally one bad accusation. The Mafia's goal is to try and not get lynched. Most of the time Mafia doesn't want to stand out and be in the crossfire, and thus try to blend in with the town. You're trying waay too hard to try and fit in with everyone else and not be accused of anything. If someone says they think you're too keen on not lynching someone, either explain to them why you think he's viewing it wrong and why you're not too keen, explain why you don't want to lynch someone or simply don't respond at all if the accusation is bad and not really anything serious.

Right after this vote people are indeed accusing you of voting without reason like expected. You then claim you had reasoning for it, and after two people vote No Lynch, you join the wagon again by joining the No-Lynch vote after reconsidering and claiming you find your reasoning less suspicious on a second look. However the page after(page 7), you proclaim that the entire vote was a joke and people are taking it seriously. It didn't look like a joke when you claimed to have reasoning for it. You are contradicting yourself here, and contradicting is usually considered a Mafia thing to do because why would a Town member lie or change the reasoning behind their votes.

This contradiction is what then started the entire argument on you when Inf brought it up immediately after. The argument didn't go on that day though as you hadn't responded before the day ended with a No Lynch.
The day started with me being happy we get ratings back and making a joke vote on Friendy. Then Friendy voted you with a pretty trash reason. After that Inf started to question you about you contradicting yourself and changing your story from having reasoning to being a joke vote. This is where your attitude when south and you seemed very salty with everything from day 0. Raxo voted you quickly after for changing votes so much on day 0. Then you said:
Lynch me if you wish :)

I just wanted to actually enjoy a mafia game, suddenly a rule of ER is No Fun whatsoever.
Mafia is as fun as you make it be. If you choose to be salty about people thinking you're Mafia(I've had this myself a few times), you're not going to have much fun since this is bound to happen sooner or later. I for one enjoy making posts(even gigantic ones like this one), and enjoy arguments either for or against me and searching for Mafia. Mafia is a game where arguing is a given. At one point in the game people are going to accuse you of something because of things you said/did. If it's a serious accusation like the one against you at the moment where people accuse you of changing stories. It's your job as Town to speak clearly and try to explain yourself well for the better of the town. As Mafia/Third Party, you have a similar job but mostly you do it to not get lynched and lose the game.

What you don't want to do is throw in the towel and say "well lynch me then whatever". For whatever faction you are this is not helpfull. Further more it's especially not helpfull for the town because you're not explaining yourself. Like what got you voted on day 0, you didn't explain yourself again and because of this both Ooglie and Inf voted you. After this more posts from you where you give up and aren't even trying to defend youself. One post you said you were confused since the start and I guess that's what happens to a new player not understanding why they're in the situation they are now. In this period I also voted you. I didn't vote you because I thought you were Mafia, I just wanted to throw pressure onto you because I use dirty tactics and wanted to see how you'd respond to more votes. Maybe then you'd explain yourself better. I used valid reasoning however, being that I had 0 idea what was going on and why you changed reasons as I hadn't re-read the thread yet.

After this followed the argument about the "Good Luck" thing. This really isn't the reason they're voting you. This argument is about what your good luck implied, different people imply it differently but for a few of us including me it implied:

The implication that the town would fail miserably without her. And the fact that it's an appeal to emotion in a game of logic.
This. That's what the Good Luck thing implied to us. But it isn't even so much about the first part of this quote than it is about the second. Almost all your posts on day 1 have been appealing to emotion not giving any arguments on why you shouldn't be lynched. If you're confused what people are accusing you of again, read back or simply tell them you're a bit confused and ask again.

The following few things might seem like I'm tearing you down on things you've said but I'm not trying to make you feel bad, only really just trying to give you tips to help you improve. You said this:

You are passing the line of annoying by a long while.

I didn't read your arguments because that was uncalled for.

Wtf is wrong with saying Good Luck to people?
First, Tim wasn't being annoying he was simply discussing the current situation and evidence. Second, in a game of mafia you should ALWAYS read arguments. Especially if they're against you. I get that you get confused about why you're being accused if you don't read every post. And third, there is nothing wrong with saying good luck, that isn't what theyre saying. They're saying that you have given up, and appealed to emotion instead of trying to defend yourself. Then came the next three quotes:

No I won't explain until my question had been answered.

Why the hell am I being targeted so much?

I thought this was going to be a fun game but clearly people don't know how to have fun.
And I'm sure I explained why I changed my vote.
Am I not allowed to change a vote?

You should be thankful I didn't vote for you.
This isn't helping anything. All I see is passive-agressiveness and still no explaination. If everyone is asking you for an explaination, even if you think you've given one either say it again or link them to your explaination. Saying "I already explained" isn't helping anyone because clearly people think you haven't. And last, you threaten Oog that he should be thankful you didn't vote him. Threatening in Mafia is a very scummy thing to do. These posts, along with the ones after are all short-posts where you refuse to coöperate with the Town and that is not helping your case at all. In the end you finally made the post we all wanted to hear and said:

This is either what we wanted to hear since Inf asked on day 0, or something pretty close to it. Since now we know better why you did what you did. The reason it's an issue is because you lied to the town by claiming one thing and then later claiming another. Take it as a general rule that as a Town you should not lie. It doesn't help the Town at all but only hurts them.

Now if you've made it all the way untill the end I hope you learned something Geek. And others who read it might now better understand why everything Geek did is very suspicious and non-Town like. If anyone read this and disagrees with something I said feel free to tell me.

And ofcourse the other 90% of you who didn't read this because they don't have time to read a million words my reasoning on why I think Geek is Mafia besides acting non-Town will be in my next post.

Nottykitten

Nomnomnom kitteh!
Reaction score
Now my reasoning for keeping my vote on Geek is a very Notty-like reasoning that you all are used to from me. I got it from this post:
Question:
If somebody dies do their ranks get revealed to us after they die or is it secretive until the game is over?
I am convinced that Geek chose to use the word "Ranks" instead of "Roles", because in her Mafia Role PM it explains to her the Mafia Rank Hierarchy. Since the Leader has the highest rank, then the Leiutenant is the second rank. Third rank is either Scout/Propagandist and the lowest rank is the Soldier. I am convinced this is why she chose the word Rank, since she is in one of them.

That, plus the fact everything so far has been non-Town regardless wether shes new or not, leads me to think shes Mafia and makes me keep my vote on her.

• Useful
  • Agree
Reactions: Duffie and Friendy

sessybessy

aka Jenben101
Creative Staff
Survival Staff
Reaction score
People have their opinions but your post came off as a parent scolding their child, adding more to the fire that was already dead anyways.

I'll say this once and for all, I used the word ranks due to my countless hours playing on our minecraft servers. Rank is a more comfortable way for me to explain things. I say rank a lot online and it's a natural usage of the word. Role isn't a word that I use often, certainly not on minecraft.

You really have no evidence to prove apart from that simple error.

I'm not going to argue anymore. What is said is said and I really couldn't care if you think I'm mafia or not.

If I die then you'll really see what role I am and you'll most likely regret your vote. :)

• Sad
Reactions: Duffie

Ltin

Mafia Host
Reaction score
So give away the fact you're town and now every mafia will either lynch you or kill you during night?
There is literally one role that isn't town other than mafia roles.
The mafia can pretty much assume geek is town anyway (assuming she isn't mafia).

That said, geek also just claimed a PR, so your point still stands.

At what point does this become game throwing?

Ltin

Mafia Host
Reaction score
Oh. Perhaps that's just a lack of experience then.
Basic townies won't be missed much. Mislynching a civilian (that's the name right?) is not nearly as bad a Mislynching a PR (although a scum lynch is of course preferred).

Also correction: 2 third parties.

Status
Not open for further replies.