Let's Talk, Seriously.

Marlem

Your local hall haunter
Reaction score
I love how you guys say the rules are unspecific but there's a rule book essentially telling you "don't do this or you're gonna be in shit."

The reason everything is so vague is because it's the staff who makes it so vague. If the staff themselves started enforcing the rules without making it such, we wouldn't have this problem.

Jolterino

'_>'
Mafia Host
Reaction score
I love how you guys say the rules are unspecific but there's a rule book essentially telling you "don't do this or you're gonna be in shit."

The reason everything is so vague is because it's the staff who makes it so vague. If the staff themselves started enforcing the rules without making it such, we wouldn't have this problem.
With all due respect I don't think you've been looking at recent conversations. I quote Rule 2.

"2. No racism, discrimination, threats or personal attacks of any kind are permitted.

This is a friendly community and as such you are expected to be courteous and follow general posting etiquette. There are times when you may not agree with someone, or you've had a bad day and that's fine, we all have those days. But please, for your own benefit, leave your problems off of EscapeRestart.com."

Follow "general" posting etiquette. Basically saying don't be a dick which is a completely fair rule but also not specific at all.

Also Rule 1.

"1. No excessive usage of profanity

While we have no objection to sharing your opinions and debating a topic - in fact, we encourage it - with other members of this community, we do not tolerate any excessive profanity whatsoever.
A minor or infrequent usage of profanity is permitted. If you are found to be using profanity frequently, your posts will be deemed of a flaming nature and you will be dealt with accordingly.
Since the measure of excessive usage is ultimately decided by the Community Admins on a case by case basis, you will receive ample warning prior to being banned due to the infringement of this clause."

The meaning of excessive is different for anybody. There is no mathematical number for the word "excessive" so it DEPENDS on the staff members how they think how much excessive is. How are the staff making this vague?

• Creative
  • Thank You
Reactions: Malcovent and Jivvi

Vatumok

Former CA
Reaction score
Honestly I think no post should be deleted if It has anything that contributes to the discussion. Rather than lazily deleting it, just edits the offensive and bad parts out of their post

You know...
It's called filtering
I think in some cases this is a good solution. However, I think it's dangerous to start editting many posts for 2 reasons:
1. It's not even the forum staff's job edit posts, they should learn to get their point across decently.
2. Often the problem isn't that words or memes need to be removed but how the message is phrased. Significantly changing someone's post is worse than removing it IMO.

• Confusing
Reactions: Jivvi

Vino

Fidget Spinner
Reaction score
I think in some cases this is a good solution. However, I think it's dangerous to start editting many posts for 2 reasons:
1. It's not even the forum staff's job edit posts, they should learn to get their point across decently.
2. Often the problem isn't that words or memes need to be removed but how the message is phrased. Significantly changing someone's post is worse than removing it IMO.
Uhh I'm 100% sure it is the forum staffs job to moderate the the forums. Editing posts to filter out offense or irrelevant material is part of their job.

And how is editing posts harmful. Deleting a derogatory term or a meme doest cause harm.

9/10 a problem with a post can be fixed by removing a line rather than deleting it. Take jolteons post for example.

Reactions: Jolterino

Enderfive

sarcasm incarnate
Mafia Host
Reaction score
I was watching the thread for a while and when parq posted a rather extreme opinion it sparked a lot of back and forth arguing, and IMO from both sides it was 95% shit. I believe everything of that got deleted and I think Major was in the right to remove the posts because it was clogging the thread and preventing discussion.
This was discussion, you not liking a new direction in the same topic is not "clogging up the thread and preventing discussion". As for it being back and forth arguing, well, congrats, you just defined discussion in layman's terms.

A lot of it is in the way you bring the message and not just the point/meaning behind the message. There's nothing wrong with using memes if you're into that but it's wrong when you use them to shut down someone's opinion with 5+ diffferent people. Take for example parquette's message on swearing, his opinion is extreme and very little people agree, but that doesn't mean he's not a cool guy. We should also respect his opinion and easily shut it down by saying that their way is too extreme WITHOUT everyone piling on and memeing. This goes for many other threads.
There was no memeing, every opinion that was deleted in this discussion was valid, on topic and civil. I respected parquette's opinion while disagreeing with it; it's possible. Strawmanning the opposing opinions and saying they're memes doesn't make it so in this discussion or any other.

Regarding the report button, a lot of people don't think about it. It's a fallacy to say that just because someone didn't report it, it means that nobody found it offensive.
But why do you think that the staff has the right to decide that someone can be offended without any indication of someone actually having been offended or any indication of intent to offend? You can't decide to be offended for a group of people that you're not a part of.

• Thank You

Jivvi

Mafia Host
Reaction score
surely actual terms used determine how offensive a post it, rather than its phrasing. its a casual environment, people are allowed to be callous or informal.

Vatumok

Former CA
Reaction score
Uhh I'm 100% sure it is the forum staffs job to moderate the the forums. Editing posts to filter out offense or irrelevant material is part of their job.

And how is editing posts harmful. Deleting a derogatory term or a meme doest cause harm.

9/10 a problem with a post can be fixed by removing a line rather than deleting it. Take jolteons post for example.
To moderate the forums? yes.
To actively edit people their post to get rid of memes/words? no.

As a member you should think before you post and not rely on moderators to make your post suitable.
Editing post in itself is not harmful but it can be when they have to change the tone or phrasing of the post.
And again, in some cases it is a good solution.

Enderfive
Mindless back and forth with little substance doesn't help forum discussion but stops it by making it a fight.

If you think parquette's thread was treated civil and respectfully you should go back to read it.

Some things can scare people off, it's literally job of the staff to set the rules which the members have to follow to create a welcoming environment.

Jayfeather

Gay Magician
Donor
Reaction score

Specifically changing my content based on vague bias that I'm not privy to would make me equally as angry as if it was deleted outright. It's the same level of iron fisted censorship I'm against in the first place. I tend to agree with Vatumok in that it's not mod's jobs to write people's posts /for/ them

• Agree
Reactions: Enderfive

Vino

Fidget Spinner
Reaction score
Specifically changing my content based on vague bias that I'm not privy to would make me equally as angry as if it was deleted outright. It's the same level of iron fisted censorship I'm against in the first place. I tend to agree with Vatumok in that it's not mod's jobs to write people's posts /for/ them
Let me rephrase what I said to what I meant.

If it's a case where a post can be fixed by deleting a meme or deleting a sentence at the end. Then it should be edited rather than deleted.

If a post is just mostly offensive or irrelevant however, then I do agree a mod should just tag a warning instead.

Everything should be case by case in social scenarios like this. But I'm against deletion unless it's something that needs to be (ie an entire hate speech or spam)

Nillbugwtw

Zombier than thou.
Community Admin
Donor
Reaction score
Honestly I think no post should be deleted if It has anything that contributes to the discussion. Rather than lazily deleting it, just edits the offensive and bad parts out of their post

You know...
It's called filtering
I agree in principle with this idea, but Xenforo is somewhat limited when it comes to editing user posts. When posts are deleted, they're typically just removed from public view, but can be viewed by administrators later (to identify 'repeat offenders', etc). When a post is edited, the previous version of that post is unrecoverable, which doesn't sit well with me from an administration standpoint. I wish there was a way (nudge nudge Xenforo) to be able to view previous revisions of an edited post, since that would make filtering a much more viable option.

Last edited:

CloudBryan9

Your Local Time Traveler
Reaction score
I agree in principle with this idea, but Xenforo is somewhat limited when it comes to editing user posts. When posts are deleted, they're typically just removed from public view, but can be viewed by administrators later (to identify 'repeat offenders', etc). When a post is edited, the previous version of that post is unrecoverable, which doesn't sit well with me from an administration standpoint. I wish there was a way (nudge nudge Xenforo) to be able to view previous revisions of an edited post, since that would make filtering a much more viable option.
There is a way, it's the history button.

nill edit test

nill edit 2: my goodness gracious I never noticed that

Last edited by a moderator:

Jivvi

Mafia Host
Reaction score
Unfortunately, how do we make a guide for measuring text-based sarcasm?

One semi-new feature that we as administrators should use more often while deleting posts is:

as a means to open a dialog when a controversial post is deleted. Thoughts?
like hunter said that's a good feature to have, and i've seen some staff use it occasionally which is good. making entering something into the notify author field mandatory would be a positive step imo because that way the poster has a clear reason given to them, and if they feel it was irrational they then have a means to open dialogue (as you said). at the moment it seems to get used very rarely if ever (i've seen some staff accompany the deletion with a pm instead of leaving a justification with the deletion, though it could be for convenience for them or a character limit i wouldn't know), you don't even see staff often notify the poster without a reason, which means you don't always notice that it's even gone. like has been discussed, rampant censorship is silly and not a positive method of moderation, so i'd definitely be in support of staff making a habit of giving justification. you could even do what some communities do and have a dedicated section where staff log deletions/edits/etc so that other staff are aware and can keep the standard of what's considered inappropriate at a standard (but again maybe staff can see deleted posts & the reason anyway i wouldn't know).

parquette

Reaction score
I am in no way starting an argument or debate here, and if someone feels the need to address me about this, please pm me.

I agree with what others have been saying: Read the rules and conditions. Don't like it? Too bad, you can't break them. We're all grown up here, we should be able to follow the rules laid down by those of higher rank than us. In regards to the previous posts, I have been trying to keep those rules a reality, and try and keep this community just as friendly as it was years ago, if not more. I thank Nill for posting this thread, because we need to really need to take this seriously.

All I was asking is that we keep the big cuss words down, such as the s and f word. The rules and conditions (as of 2014) asked that religious, sexual, and political talk not be uttered in the chat (this even means joking about it). I have been seeing a lot of "I will f*** you hard" and "s***posting again..." and things. Quite frankly, the first one is definitely sex related. The 2nd one, is I think a little offensive towards the other member. I say this because it sounds like their opinion is being called bullcrap, and that it doesn't matter. The regulations says that it is encouraged to bring up new ideas and suggestions, we should reflect that. In a way, by saying this, we are discouraging people to come up with new ideas that actually may help the community. Now I am not asking that cussing be wiped out by any means, I just ask that we keep it under control and if you use the f word, please keep it to a minimal, especially when referencing sexual topics. I am more concerned about members breaking the rules by talking constantly about sexual matters that shouldn't be talked about in public, because it eventually gets to the point where it is ban worthy, due to the rules being ignored and for spam.

I'm not just talking about my own opinion, but about the Terms and Conditions of joining this splendid community. We must as a community, set an example for newcomers who read the terms, because we want to be an admirable place. We also want to be a warm, and welcoming community right? I seriously think this will help, but I won't shove it down anyone's throats. I also really don't think writing things like "f*** the Jews" is a very good example. I am not pointing fingers at anyone, but I really think writing stuff like this against various religions should not be acceptable. We aren't supposed to bring up religion anyway, so why is this allowed? I am reposting this here because I feel that in the other threads that this proposal wasn't being taken seriously. I am not sparking debate here, I am just doing a member's job of bringing up new ideas. Forgive me if I sound like I am spamming, I just feel that this needs to be recognized. Thank you.

like hunter said that's a good feature to have, and i've seen some staff use it occasionally which is good. making entering something into the notify author field mandatory would be a positive step imo because that way the poster has a clear reason given to them, and if they feel it was irrational they then have a means to open dialogue (as you said). at the moment it seems to get used very rarely if ever (i've seen some staff accompany the deletion with a pm instead of leaving a justification with the deletion, though it could be for convenience for them or a character limit i wouldn't know), you don't even see staff often notify the poster without a reason, which means you don't always notice that it's even gone. like has been discussed, rampant censorship is silly and not a positive method of moderation, so i'd definitely be in support of staff making a habit of giving justification. you could even do what some communities do and have a dedicated section where staff log deletions/edits/etc so that other staff are aware and can keep the standard of what's considered inappropriate at a standard (but again maybe staff can see deleted posts & the reason anyway i wouldn't know).
I like how you mentioned that Staff aren't giving reason as to the deletion. The only concern I have with the form filling is that if the staff member finds that the post is against regulations, they may want to get rid of it quickly. Wouldn't the form filling take a lot of time to do, especially if they want to delete it before someone else reads it?

• Optimistic
Reactions: Notme and Hunter

Nillbugwtw

Zombier than thou.
Community Admin
Donor
Reaction score
I like how you mentioned that Staff aren't giving reason as to the deletion. The only concern I have with the form filling is that if the staff member finds that the post is against regulations, they may want to get rid of it quickly. Wouldn't the form filling take a lot of time to do, especially if they want to delete it before someone else reads it?
I'm not sure about that - I think that explanations ought to supersede rushing so someone doesn't see it, 95% of the time. If we're talking about removing a post with gore, CP, etc (events that have never happened on our forums), sure, delete it right away. If we're removing a post because a user is derailing a thread or trolling, I think it's worth 30 seconds of extra exposure time for the moderator to write 'post derails thread, removed'.

parquette

Reaction score
I mean yes reasons are necessary, but maybe answering just 4 questions, instead of a long form? I'm just afraid of it taking too long to do, and possibly someone else reading the comment (if it's a vulgar one) while the form is being filled.

• Creative
Reactions: Ceres

Jivvi

Mafia Host
Reaction score
I like how you mentioned that Staff aren't giving reason as to the deletion.
me too, that's kind of one of the things this thread is discussing.
I mean yes reasons are necessary, but maybe answering just 4 questions, instead of a long form? I'm just afraid of it taking too long to do, and possibly someone else reading the comment (if it's a vulgar one) while the form is being filled.
it's literally a short text box to put a few words in. things like 'trolling', 'flaming', 'inappropriate image' will do in a lot of cases. like nill said, a post that warrants typing out a slightly longer explanation generally won't do any harm by being up for a minute more, which is all the amount of time a deletion justification would really take.

edit why are you bringing up the loose language again are you actively trying to derail the thread that nill explicitly asked everyone not to derail?

Last edited:

Nillbugwtw

Zombier than thou.
Community Admin
Donor
Reaction score
Maybe I wasn't clear on my description of it, sorry - it's just a single line text post that would tell the OP why the post was deleted.

• Thank You
Reactions: parquette

Naterger

Donor
Creative Staff
Reaction score
WARNING: I am about to speak heavily out of my ass.

This is just going to be an all encompassing post, all of this is personal opinion. If you (the staff) deem any of it inappropriate or offensive by all means delete it.

To start this off i'm going to share a personal story that just recently happened to my 3 friends involving the police, using them as an example...
3 kids are drinking on the beach, all of them are minors. Of course what they are doing is wrong, they know it and we know it. Although in most countries they would be legally drinking at the age of 18. So the cop who stumbles upon said 3 kids drinking is a new cop, fresh into the force and trying to do the best job he can. In his mind he's gonna book these 3, so he calls his superior on the radio. As the 3 kids and the cop make their way to the road where the sheriff has now pulled up, officer 1 (the newer cop) jumps into the cruiser to begin running their names. The sheriff and his partner now stand with the 3 kids. They chit-chat about the weather, how the officers day had been going. After building a little bit of rapport, the sheriff says to the 3 kids "Let me see what i can do, maybe i can get the 3 of you off with a warning". The sheriffs partner now alone with the 3 kids starts poking jest at their beer choice and tells them maybe this wouldn't have happened if you were drinking some better beer. The sheriff and the newer cop came back with the great news of "pour out the rest of your beer and you are free to go". The newbie cop acting as if it were his plan all along, only to fit in.

So why does this have anything to do with the problems at hand? As a member of this community since we were TheOnes i've stood back observed & even experience the admins play favorites, and even demonstrate a different set of rules to follow. I understand that times have changed- The head staff whom used to consist of a more adult-aged group of friends has been replaced by a younger generation. I'm not saying there is any issues with that, nor am i trying to start beef. Though from my perspective, the story i shared can almost mimic the staff here now. They are (newer) and trying to perform to the best of their duties. *AS I SAID I AM SPEAKING OUT OF MY ASS* i do not know the ages of the current staff, but i can only infer them to be a bit younger than those before them. I feel like they have good intentions of keeping the community from falling into a shit-fest, but it also comes down to the player base you seek as a community. Do you want a community full of younger children, or those of us who speak more of a sailor and pack a little more substance. I do not know the full story behind these threads, i assume it deals with the influx of negative emotions between players.

Many of the current players have seen the times change as well and like me might long for the feel of the old community. In fact may even treat it in such a way to mimic the way it once was. So if your aim is to tighten the leash on what can and can't be done then let it be known. I for one still act as if i where in the presence of an older crowd, who can take a bit harsher of a joke rather than a safe-space or a hugbox. A strong community is based on communication, which i feel has been lacking here. Don't expect people to be mind readers, make your intentions clear.

I'm very tired & it's late, forgive me for any errors i made as well as any feelings i've hurt.

EDIT:
In regards to drawing a line on what can and can't be said in the public forums- i do believe it should be based on the crowd you plan to draw in. A friendlier more "safe space" of a forum would definitely appeal to the younger players. Where as allowing a little bit of shit-posting would make us older players feel more at home.

Last edited:

Jeercrul

Reaction score
Website
steamcommunity.com
I am in no way starting an argument or debate here, and if someone feels the need to address me about this, please pm me.

I agree with what others have been saying: Read the rules and conditions. Don't like it? Too bad, you can't break them. We're all grown up here, we should be able to follow the rules laid down by those of higher rank than us. In regards to the previous posts, I have been trying to keep those rules a reality, and try and keep this community just as friendly as it was years ago, if not more. I thank Nill for posting this thread, because we need to really need to take this seriously.

All I was asking is that we keep the big cuss words down, such as the s and f word. The rules and conditions (as of 2014) asked that religious, sexual, and political talk not be uttered in the chat (this even means joking about it). I have been seeing a lot of "I will f*** you hard" and "s***posting again..." and things. Quite frankly, the first one is definitely sex related. The 2nd one, is I think a little offensive towards the other member. I say this because it sounds like their opinion is being called bullcrap, and that it doesn't matter. The regulations says that it is encouraged to bring up new ideas and suggestions, we should reflect that. In a way, by saying this, we are discouraging people to come up with new ideas that actually may help the community. Now I am not asking that cussing be wiped out by any means, I just ask that we keep it under control and if you use the f word, please keep it to a minimal, especially when referencing sexual topics. I am more concerned about members breaking the rules by talking constantly about sexual matters that shouldn't be talked about in public, because it eventually gets to the point where it is ban worthy, due to the rules being ignored and for spam.

I'm not just talking about my own opinion, but about the Terms and Conditions of joining this splendid community. We must as a community, set an example for newcomers who read the terms, because we want to be an admirable place. We also want to be a warm, and welcoming community right? I seriously think this will help, but I won't shove it down anyone's throats. I also really don't think writing things like "f*** the Jews" is a very good example. I am not pointing fingers at anyone, but I really think writing stuff like this against various religions should not be acceptable. We aren't supposed to bring up religion anyway, so why is this allowed? I am reposting this here because I feel that in the other threads that this proposal wasn't being taken seriously. I am not sparking debate here, I am just doing a member's job of bringing up new ideas. Forgive me if I sound like I am spamming, I just feel that this needs to be recognized. Thank you.
I don't usually participate in threads like this because I feel that there are merits to both sides of the argument and it is hard for me to take an absolute stand on this matter. What I do feel strongly that needs to be addressed is that your limit to cursing is one that is rather extreme, though not unfounded. While I don't find anything wrong with harbouring such conservative views you do need to take in mind that others do not necessarily harbour the same mindset as yours. What you may find as acceptable filtering would be regarded as unjustified censorship on others' ends - which is why there needs to be greater clarification and communication on both sides. And even if such lines are drawn it may not exactly satisfy what you want, seeing that majority of the community find swearing acceptable and are comfortable with using "offensive" jokes to "insult" one another. There are a lot of grey areas in matters like these. What one finds offensive would come across as a casual joke to another that is not intended to offend. There are also times when you might have also misunderstood the intentions of people's jokes i.e. satirical humour where context is strongly needed and can bring about the opposite effect if not understood.

But anyway, my main point is that it is impossible to stop people from swearing and there needs to be clear defined boundaries for jokes to prevent incidents like these from escalating again. If you still want people to stop swearing I advise you to use this instead:

sorry for derailing

parquette

Reaction score
It was basically just a tone down suggestion. Like just toning down the way certain words are said, that way they aren't in every 2 sentences, but I appreciate your recommendation. I unfortunately can't download things like this because it makes my old computer (yeah old) mess up, and it also performs virus risks (Ikr?)

I do agree with you that clear defined boundaries for jokes are needed. I'm glad we are on the same page. Essentially my recent posts were having the same request: that we have a set boundary for cussing, where it is considered over done. And another for jokes, so that things don't get too far.

• Dislike

Aqua

Does anybody remember laughter?
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Website
tehurn.com
A magical fairy whispered into my ear:

All jokes aside what's people opinions of having different sections of the forums split on age. I like the idea, but I can see a lot of flaws, since this is a suggestion I might as well leave it here.

• Haha
Reactions: Jolterino