Are You Going To Tell Your Children About Santa? ((spoilers))

Trap_Wolf

dam u str8 babygurl
Reaction score
Website
www.trapwolf.com
Santa's not real.

Like, is it a necessary thing? Is there any real reason for a child's development to believe in a figment of imagination generated warped and rewritten to sell a capitalistic holiday Santa? I'm legitimately interested in the rationals of why we would condition children to believe in Sanata?

thoughts & comments thanks bye

Sploorky

Reaction score
Probably.

Having a more fantastical imagination is good, and there's no harm in letting a child believe this for a couple of years. My younger cousin used to believe spiderman was real, noone told him differently for a while because he was a kid, he thought it was awesome, and it expanded his imagination.

More importantly however, a young kid generally is going to yell "santa isn't real" when everyone else his age believe it, and in retrospect, nobody wants to be that kid.

Y

YouWould

Most of todays teens, including yours truly, do not want kids. But, if I do have kids, I will not. They won't believe in the tooth fairy either, that's just stupid. If anything, they can think Nemo or Bambi is real, which are both far more realistic and would not seem to affect them. I wouldn't mind them being endorsed in fantasy, but they need to know fantasy is fantasy.

Pikmon2

Reaction score
Most of todays teens, including yours truly, do not want kids. But, if I do have kids, I will not. They won't believe in the tooth fairy either, that's just stupid. If anything, they can think Nemo or Bambi is real, which are both far more realistic and would not seem to affect them. I wouldn't mind them being endorsed in fantasy, but they need to know fantasy is fantasy.
I don't know how a talking fish that hangs out with a bunch of other talking fish, which is a story that changes normal fish into something else, is much more realistic than the story of Santa Claus. I mean, there was an actual guy, he just got turned into... well, what Santa is today.

To answer the question, yes. I will. Why not? It probably won't hurt them, and if it makes them happy, okay. This is one of the few times I will say "if it doesn't hurt them but makes them happy it's okay". Also it's fun.

Reactions: EggNog

Duffie

Reaction score
Website
duffieshirayuki.deviantart.com
As someone who does not wish to raise a child, for many reasons that shall not be stated, and as someone who learned about Santa without the help of my parents, I can't say I'm too sure as to how to, for lack of a better word due to being somewhat tired, deal with that.

I'm terrible with kids. Heck, I'm terrible with people. Why are you giving me the responsibility of this?

• Agree
Reactions: Love

Theodorre

The Fail Chipmunk
Reaction score
Yes, I want kids. No. I will not tell them about Santa.

I grew up in a family that did not celebrate Christmas so I always knew that Santa wasn't real. I wasn't that kid that told other kids he wasn't real either, mostly cos I was apathetic to anything Christmas related.

One of the biggest irks I have with the whole Santa idea is that we tell our children that only "good little kids" get presents. This sounds good in theory but in reality the quality of the present largely depends on the economic income of the family. Now, this doesn't really matter until little kids start telling each other about what presents they got and then there's an obvious problem. "Why did xxxx get a better present than me? What's wrong with me? Doesn't Santa like me?" I've known numerous people whose kids had similar feelings, and if I ever had kids then I don't think I personally would be comfortable putting them through this. Just my two cents, tho.

digi

-
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
There's no escaping the propaganda of Santa, which will spark a child's curiosity and imagination. My parents were raised in Christian households, yet they never bestowed their Christian beliefs upon my siblings or myself. They felt that it wasn't their place to neither deny or confirm a person's belief in any entity and/or deity, but rather educate or inform. Though their views on Santa was a rather bitter one, they never denied us the chance to believe in him and pray for something magical. I hope to do the same for my children.

On an off note, as a kid I thought the Easter Bunny was pure bullshit.

Enderfive

sarcasm incarnate
Mafia Host
Reaction score
I guess I want to have kids some day, although I think that 16 is a little too far from that to start thinking about stuff like that.

As for Santa... I don't know, I see no harm in it. It's certainly not something that I think is necessary, but I also see nothing wrong with it. I believed in Santa until the age of six, when I figured out that Santa was really my grandfather with a terrible fake beard, but I didn't feel bad over it or anything. I think I was happy over being clever enough to be able to figure it out, actually.

In any case, the days of having kids are long ahead of me for now, so I haven't given it much thought yet and probably won't for a while either.

Reactions: parquette

Da Jinks

Political Nerd
Reaction score
If this isn't the stupidest thread I've ever seen I don't know what will be. This genuinely ticks me off.

HEY GUYS, MAYBE SOME PEOPLE IN BLOCKTOPIA DON'T KNOW AND IT BRINGS JOY INTO THIS TIME. WHAT IN GODS NAME WAS THE THOUGHT WITH THIS THREAD THE DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS?!?!?

I was told the "secret" like 2 years ago. And I still firmly believe in Santa. Why? Because he makes me freaking happy. In a world of war, greed and general idiocy it is nice to believe in a jolly fellow who wants to make the world a better place by rewarding good people with whatever they wish.

That is why I would never tell, and will never tell ANY person otherwise. Because if Santa ain't real then what else do we truly have left (beyond our various religious beliefs, which I won't open up that can of worms).

Seriously though, just what the heck guys.

paceboys

Reaction score
If this isn't the stupidest thread I've ever seen I don't know what will be. This genuinely ticks me off.

HEY GUYS, MAYBE SOME PEOPLE IN BLOCKTOPIA DON'T KNOW AND IT BRINGS JOY INTO THIS TIME. WHAT IN GODS NAME WAS THE THOUGHT WITH THIS THREAD THE DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS?!?!?

I was told the "secret" like 2 years ago. And I still firmly believe in Santa. Why? Because he makes me freaking happy. In a world of war, greed and general idiocy it is nice to believe in a jolly fellow who wants to make the world a better place by rewarding good people with whatever they wish.

That is why I would never tell, and will never tell ANY person otherwise. Because if Santa ain't real then what else do we truly have left (beyond our various religious beliefs, which I won't open up that can of worms).

calm down

it was just a discussion topic

Jayfeather

Gay Magician
Donor
Reaction score
Yes, I want kids. No. I will not tell them about Santa.

I grew up in a family that did not celebrate Christmas so I always knew that Santa wasn't real. I wasn't that kid that told other kids he wasn't real either, mostly cos I was apathetic to anything Christmas related.

One of the biggest irks I have with the whole Santa idea is that we tell our children that only "good little kids" get presents. This sounds good in theory but in reality the quality of the present largely depends on the economic income of the family. Now, this doesn't really matter until little kids start telling each other about what presents they got and then there's an obvious problem. "Why did xxxx get a better present than me? What's wrong with me? Doesn't Santa like me?" I've known numerous people whose kids had similar feelings, and if I ever had kids then I don't think I personally would be comfortable putting them through this. Just my two cents, tho.
there's a really easy solution to this. if you're going to give very large gifts/electronics you make it from the parents so they understand that santa is not the one "picking favorites" but rather not everyone can afford to be extremely extravagant. Label some things as Santa, but don't tip the scales and make it seem like one kid is getting more bias from Santa

Da Jinks
plis take a physics class santa can not fly that fast and no one in this community save you is going to be scarred by this thread
edit: read the rest of your post

fuck that. fuck that attitude. that is so fucking toxic holy fuck. you think santa is the only good or joy in the world? santa

• Dislike
Reactions: Terre936 and Hunter

paceboys

Reaction score
there's a really easy solution to this. if you're going to give very large gifts/electronics you make it from the parents so they understand that santa is not the one "picking favorites" but rather not everyone can afford to be extremely extravagant. Label some things as Santa, but don't tip the scales and make it seem like one kid is getting more bias from Santa

Da Jinks
plis take a physics class santa can not fly that fast and no one in this community save you is going to be scarred by this thread

fuck that. fuck that attitude. that is so fucking toxic holy fuck. you think santa is the only good or joy in the world? santa
calm down

nitasu987

Reaction score
Ya know, I want kids someday (with a special someone I have in mind Hockeyfan1852 knows who I'm talkin about :p) and I definitely will tell them about Santa. I'm not of the faith that practices Christmas, however my dad is so to me Christmas is all about hanging out with family, reveling in the beautiful snow (which here in IL I have 0 of right now and it's pissing me off) and getting presents!! So, It doesn't matter to me if Santa is real or not.. wouldn't it be pretty cool? I think the more pressing matter is the question of if Santa's immortal or not...

• Informative
Reactions: Hockeyfan1852

Jayfeather

Gay Magician
Donor
Reaction score
Ya know, I want kids someday (with a special someone I have in mind Hockeyfan1852 knows who I'm talkin about :p) and I definitely will tell them about Santa. I'm not of the faith that practices Christmas, however my dad is so to me Christmas is all about hanging out with family, reveling in the beautiful snow (which here in IL I have 0 of right now and it's pissing me off) and getting presents!! So, It doesn't matter to me if Santa is real or not.. wouldn't it be pretty cool? I think the more pressing matter is the question of if Santa's immortal or not...
There's a competition when Santa nears death to see who takes his place. You have to sleigh the other competitors

parquette

Reaction score
I can see your confusion here Trap_Wolf. We need to let our kids use their imagination, like believing in Santa Claus. If they didn't use their imagination, they wouldn't be as smart as they would be if they used it. And it's also a fun thing to do with the kids, to put presents under the tree saying it was Santa Claus who put it there. Besides, Santa in a way does exist, because he was based off of Saint Nicholis, who did about the same thing as he does, gave presents to people. Hope this helped!

Last edited:

Enderfive

sarcasm incarnate
Mafia Host
Reaction score

The thread did have a spoiler tag so meh

I adore your outlook on life though.

Da Jinks

Political Nerd
Reaction score
Da Jinks

Ok, I wasn't trying to imply santa is the only good thing in the world, but lordy your living under a rock if you don't see all the depressing shit in the world. Economic collapses around the world, constant wars, hell just looking at our good ol' American news I see EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. about racism (hey guys, that 12 year old had a air gun in the park AND WAS BLACK SO HE DESERVED DEATH!!!), TORTURE, people barely making by and your logic is throw something nice out because "eh we should have conversations."

This is a PUBLIC FORUM. You talk about "scarred by this thread" but curious would you go in a mall and tell kids this? Seriously, would you go into a mall, popular restaurant, etc. and proclaim "Santa isn't real guys! Santa is NOT real!" This conversation doesn't really serve any purpose at the expense of possibly screwing with alot of people.

And I know we all wanna act all tough and stuff "oh we are teenagers hur dur" but there are still quite a bit of people in this community who AREN'T big and all grown up with chest hairs and still believe. And LOL SPOILER LOLOL YEAH BECAUSE "Are you going to tell your children about santa" FOLLOW BY A SPOILER IS GONNA STOP A KID YEAH THANKS GUYS FUNNY.

EDIT: Will also add, it amazes me the selfishness, willing to pull the rug out from under kids the day after freaking Christmas just because you want to have a conversation. Go on reddit or PM someone if you want lordy.

paceboys

Reaction score
Ok, I wasn't trying to imply santa is the only good thing in the world, but lordy your living under a rock if you don't see all the depressing shit in the world. Economic collapses around the world, constant wars, hell just looking at our good ol' American news I see EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. about racism (hey guys, that 12 year old had a air gun in the park AND WAS BLACK SO HE DESERVED DEATH!!!), TORTURE, people barely making by and your logic is throw something nice out because "eh we should have conversations."

This is a PUBLIC FORUM. You talk about "scarred by this thread" but curious would you go in a mall and tell kids this? Seriously, would you go into a mall, popular restaurant, etc. and proclaim "Santa isn't real guys! Santa is NOT real!" This conversation doesn't really serve any purpose at the expense of possibly screwing with alot of people.

And I know we all wanna act all tough and stuff "oh we are teenagers hur dur" but there are still quite a bit of people in this community who AREN'T big and all grown up with chest hairs and still believe. And LOL SPOILER LOLOL YEAH BECAUSE "Are you going to tell your children about santa" FOLLOW BY A SPOILER IS GONNA STOP A KID YEAH THANKS GUYS FUNNY.

EDIT: Will also add, it amazes me the selfishness, willing to pull the rug out from under kids the day after freaking Christmas just because you want to have a conversation. Go on reddit or PM someone if you want lordy.
calm down

BrickWolf

The Concrete Dog
Reaction score
You make it sound like our belief in Santa is the solution to these problems