Is it Time for a New SMP Server?

Is it time for a new SMP Server?

• Yes, I want a server with PvP and a structure like one of the previous servers (SMP?, Primordia).

Votes: 36 43.9%
  • Yes, I want a server with PvE like JtE, but with a different structure.

Votes: 11 13.4%
  • Yes, I want a server with PvP, but a totally new structure.

Votes: 11 13.4%
  • No, I love JtE!

Votes: 24 29.3%

• Total voters

storm886

Reaction score
I Absolutely love the way you put that a few posts up- Its not about the roof, its about the foundation.Ive seen plenty of servers (whether it be minecraft or something else) that start up, fail, and are scrapped.The beginning of things is extremely important. Ever heard the phrase, 'Make a good first impression?' If a server was lame at the start what would make me want to come back? A new one. JtE was nice at the start.
I think you're agreeing with me? Not sure, but here is what I have to say. You're right the foundation was nice and sturdy at the beginning of the server. People played on it because it was something brand new that Blocktopia never had before and they wanted to try it out. A few months later people are tired of this concept or realize they didn't like it in the first place. The foundation has turned into rubble.

JtE has like... 4 players online most of the time :s when bb has around 7-11 aod has 9-20 and rof has 12-20. :L
(this is when I randomly go /glist <estimate>)
Timezones: I'd say ROF usually has more than 20 online ( I guess I've been playing a more active to me one now. For a while I thought TNT wars was completely dead because of this XD from what I see though it's still above TNT wars, should we scrap that too while were at it?
No, we should not scrap TNT Wars. TNT Wars has many things that it could add and perfect. It is a very unique concept that there really isn't an alternate form of. That's why player count is only one of the things I took into consideration.

• Agree
Reactions: Hockeyfan1852

DSiGameMaster

Reaction score
With the loss of quests, we can now look into improving dungeons to the max
As I stated above before though, how many users a day or week actually try and complete or attempt a dungeon? And what about those that don't like/care for them? There has to be features for everyone.

Hockeyfan1852

Reaction score
JtE has like... 4 players online most of the time :s when bb has around 7-11 aod has 9-20 and rof has 12-20. :L
Timezones: I'd say ROF usually has more than 20 online ( I guess I've been playing a more active to me one now. For a while I thought TNT wars was completely dead because of this XD from what I see though it's still above TNT wars, should we scrap that too while were at it?
We are not scrapping the server we are improving it. As I said above " I understand that people worked hard on their buildings and accomplishments, but a refresh is a chance to improve yourself." People want to change the server for the better and are also leaning toward a PvP SMP server which is not what it is thought to be storm explained very well in the thread intro. Some people might not agree with this next statement but, There are still people that still like JtE but it can change for the better.

Da Jinks

Political Nerd
Reaction score
As I stated above before though, how many users a day or week actually try and complete or attempt a dungeon? And what about those that don't like/care for them? There has to be features for everyone.

Who said dungeons can't be nerfed to accommodate those who don't like battling mobs? That will be part of the Adventerer's job: Making the dungeon experience perfect for everybody.

• Agree
Reactions: Undefined User 7
D

DarkHender

TNT- I didn't even put that on the list.
TNT has around 4-8players on at the evenings in my time zone in America- where JTE has about 4.

I love TNT with friends though, a once in awhile sort of thing.

Totally off topic, sorry!

Anywho!
On with the thought of introducing a new smp sometime in the future.

storm886

Reaction score

Who said dungeons can't be nerfed to accommodate those who don't like battling mobs? That will be part of the Adventerer's job: Making the dungeon experience perfect for everybody.
Again, small things like a dungeon rework are not going to bring people back. We need a new structure for the whole picture.

• Agree

DSiGameMaster

Reaction score

Mhm, you have a point. But again though, (just being a negative Nancy here) I'm not a fan of dungeons. And some people on JtE aren't either. If the future of JtE is "better dungeons", how is that going to work? There should also be more to than dungeons.

JohnOgozalek

Forever Shining
Reaction score
Which brings me back to typing. This thread is not on: why Journey to Elysium will be closed, and how the player-base created a new server. This is a pool of ideas that will maybe, or maybe not effect the next future server. This is not a thread on whether or not a new server will be made. It's impossible for it to continue for a incredibly long amount of time. It seems people are thinking this thread determines whether or not a new server will be started.

Elysium I think will continue, with more revisions and more new things, and some people will love, or hate them. This thread is a good place to state things you might like to see in another server, or what in Elysium you liked or disliked. There WILL (most likely) be another server, some people will love it, some people will hate. Some people saying they loved Elysium, may dislike it. Some that didn't like Elysium may like it. But of coarse, maybe those that liked Elysium will like it, and those that didn't won't like this one either. I doubt at this point in time, a giant reworking will be done on Elysium.

myusername22

A username.
Donor
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com
I think you're agreeing with me? Not sure, but here is what I have to say. You're right the foundation was nice and sturdy at the beginning of the server. People played on it because it was something brand new that Blocktopia never had before and they wanted to try it out. A few months later people are tired of this concept or realize they didn't like it in the first place. The foundation has turned into rubble.

No, we should not scrap TNT Wars. TNT Wars has many things that it could add and perfect. It is a very unique concept that there really isn't an alternate form of. That's why player count is only one of the things I took into consideration.

Jte also has many things we can put into it I'm pretty sure superstein has many more ingenious ideas to come after reading through this thread I will admit jte like the entire blocktopian community and humanity for that matter will end eventually does that mean we should end it now? I think we should give it a chance to move on like TNT wars jte has many things we can add to it and a somewhat new director with things to add. This means it has some potential? We must continue on for once for at least a while longer and give it a chance. If we bail out now and don't even give it a chance what will that mean for all future. SMP servers? That we should just bail them too when the time comes. It takes time effort and man power as well as a lot of stress and despair every time a server closes down. Therefore we need to at least make an effort to create stable and long lasting servers otherwise why have one?

Da Jinks

Political Nerd
Reaction score

Mhm, you have a point. But again though, (just being a negative Nancy here) I'm not a fan of dungeons. And some people on JtE aren't either. If the future of JtE is "better dungeons", how is that going to work? There should also be more to than dungeons.

I didn't say that was JtE's entire future, I was just making one point. Events, new plugins, and more can also be planned and discussed, but we just need to keep a open mind.

Hockeyfan1852

Reaction score
Which brings me back to typing. This thread is not on: why Journey to Elysium will be closed, and how the player-base created a new server. This is a pool of ideas that will maybe, or maybe not effect the next future server. This is not a thread on whether or not a new server will be made. It's impossible for it to continue for a incredibly long amount of time. It seems people are thinking this thread determines whether or not a new server will be started.

Elysium I think will continue, with more revisions and more new things, and some people will love, or hate them. This thread is a good place to state things you might like to see in another server, or what in Elysium you liked or disliked. There WILL (most likely) be another server, some people will love it, some people will hate. Some people saying they loved Elysium, may dislike it. Some that didn't like Elysium may like it. But of coarse, maybe those that liked Elysium will like it, and those that didn't won't like this one either. I doubt at this point in time, a giant reworking will be done on Elysium.
John, the server has been running 6 1/2 months everything is devolved I haven't seen one big project in Esper since leaving, people are look for a fresh start. The thread is about "Is it time for a new SMP server" which people are supporting and for the new server to have PvP, John you have worked hard on Esper but it is time for a map refresh. The player base can only suggest with the support of the staff a new server is possible. So, we need staff opinions in here as well. JtE was planned 2-7 weeks in advance and we would like the staff to work on a server to appeal to the majority of us. There were some aspects of JtE I liked and would love to add in a new SMP server. The server can improve by taking ideas on our past servers to appeal to everyone which will keep everyone satisfied. The main goal is to provide a fun place for the player base which we are trying to plan out.

superstein

Ex-Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
Can't say I didn't expect this thread to pop up one of these days. Only a matter of time!

First off, before this wall of text develops... I'd like to thank you for organizing the post nicely and not making it a total ragepost. It helps in giving valid points in which we can possibly work with and if you give me a somewhat respectful, fair post I will do the same in my reply.

Let's begin with point #1.
1. Player Count - Obviously the player count is down from the opening of JtE. That is perfectly normal for any server, but from what I have observed, the player count is reaching all time lows. I've been on a lot more this past week due to school being out and I've noticed very low player counts not only on the weekdays, but also on the weekends. The player counts remind me of the last days of the previous SMP, when I was one of the very few who still played.​
This has happened with all SMPs, from the best ones to the worst. These all-time lows are not specific to this server, but to the community at the moment. We are in a period of transition and refocusing, we have a relatively new server two months fresh, a new Administrator, and we are without our beloved classic servers. At the moment there is not a stable, developed method of advertisement. The only way we spread is by word-of-mouth and a few pages here and there, and that's not enough (and trust me, we have picked up on that).

That means, the players that have been here from the beginning are starting to tire of the server. That's normal, and in return a newer generation of players will fill in. Towns die, new towns spring up - it is the natural way of life, civilizations and nations will rise and prosper, and in Minecraft it speeds this up. Though clearly the player amounts are low, and that - in my opinion - is the #1 issue with Elysium at the moment (finally something that's not credited on me!) and the good thing is it's fixable and it could even sort itself out.

The good thing about SMP servers are... it doesn't always matter! Though there may be limited people to chat with or explore with, it doesn't mean you can't start a project yourself, get levels in a darkroom or go mining. It's a glorified single player server at times, and though you have come to play multiplayer it's relaxing to go caving for a while and bring home some of everyone's favorite cyan stuff.

2. PvE - I've always taken into account who is on the server. I hardly ever see people on that I would normally see on the old SMPs. One of the people who I actually interviewed was a very active player on the previous SMPs and she was also active for the first few weeks of JtE. I recently went looking for her since I noticed that she was hardly ever on JtE. I found out she was very active in AoD/PTNT/RoF. She said that JtE just lost its touch and it wasn't as fun as Primordia and one of the previous SMPs. I found this very upsetting that she no longer found joy in Blocktopia's SMP.

So I talked to her a bit more about the PvE VS PvP issue. She said that many players didn't like PvP because they would always get killed. I feel that the players that said that didn't give PvP a try. It is the truth that when I first started PvP, I would get killed due to other players or nature. But I didn't give up. I slowly learned the ropes and ways to deal with PvP. Many people think PvP means they are in combat 24/7. This is simply Not True. I would like to make a metaphor. Have you taken Biology at your school? Do you at least know what evolution/natural selection is? In Minecraft SMPs, PvP is the natural selection. It keeps people from creating too many clans, too grand of a city, too much of this and too much of that. If you took Biology, you also learned that when a population gets too large it collapses. Snowfall was growing exponentially, then it collapsed and many people in its clan didn't come back to JtE. (Not the best metaphor but you get the idea.) In the previous SMP, I made some decent towns. They weren't grand but they were nice. It was much more of an accomplishment then, than it would be in a PvE server. I was proud that I gathered all the those materials and built the buildings with the danger of an attack. I never actually liked to participate in PvP, but it gave me a challenge that was fun.

Another thing in JtE that ruins the fun is the Nether Network. It is very convenient and it makes travel easier, but let's face it. It's much more of a challenge to transport everything in the overworld and it's more fun too. If we had PvP, another NN would not be made I think. If one was made, it would be a hotspot for combat and many would not travel it. PvP would make travelling fun again!
Elysium is something new. The name itself suggests peace and bliss, and the server represents this. For the past 2 or so years... we have had maps with more substantial elements of PVP. There are players that like to play a calm, relaxing survival server sometimes. Those people are attracted to the server, and those who like die-hard PVP aren't. It makes sense, if you don't compare last server to this server. Also, might I hasten to add that us staff have been working on ways to incorporate PVP. It may come soon, and in the coming days PVP should have more of an influence on the server.

I understand PVP is something that moves the server. It creates action, it creates a challenge, and raiding has more meaning when you take down your enemy. But Elysium is different, and there still is 10% of the world for those who want a hardcore survival experience with the option to gain resources with a lesser threat. Also remember, we have dungeons for people who want to engage in PVP and we have nice dungeon entrances begging for camping. Though the outlets for it are limited, they are there.

The NN may make things more easier as well, though it wasn't a cakewalk to construct and in return paid off. But remember staff have been discussing things, and that changes may come. Assumptions will get you nowhere, mindless suggestion without consideration gets you nowhere.

3. Pre-Made Towns, Trades, Emeralds - At first I thought all of these trades and pre-made towns and emerald being a major currency would be awesome, but it's not. The trades were somewhat useful in the beginning, but now their just blah. I think they were actually too useful I think. They discouraged players from getting things on their own and they took the fun away. I don't think the trades are that good anymore now that we all have loads of supplies. This also made emeralds not rare, which isn't that big of a deal but still meh.​
Trades are refreshed, sales are made, it's all about reading the market and manipulating it. People like it, you don't. Not everyone likes it. And what is the problem with adding an extra outlet to gameplay? It's not effecting you negatively, it is only positive. If they were "somewhat useful" at any time in your playing, they have done their job. As for having loads of supplies, you can never have too much of anything. Take what you have an abundance of, spread it, love it.

As for the pre-made towns, imagine how different the SMP would be without them. This SMP was a lot of change, people don't like change, but the moment we take them away there will be people wanting them again. They were fun to explore, they are for new players... and they were never meant to study. Just an add-on, it helps the storyline and again... why the hell would we need a new server because of pre-made towns?! It's not a failed concept if it helped, or was cool, at any stage.

4. Quests - I can't say too much on this topic since I really didn't do any quests, but they are gone now anyways. Many people complained of the glitches, and I just found them unattractive. There were a lot of quests that I just felt looked stupid.​
Cool. Removed them for some of these reasons. Now let's make a new server because they're removed and a lost mirage in the distance! YAY!

5. Minecraft is being Updated - As we know with the previous SMP, updates can make our SMP server outdated. Another reason for updating the last SMP was the fact that it lacked natural cocoa and emerald ore. Right now JtE lacks natural quartz and it will lack naturally spawned horses, mules, and donkeys soon enough. This also brings up the issue of resources. As we all know, resources like glowstone cannot be found in the nether in great quantities anymore.​

It can. We survived the 1.5 update, in fact the server has transitioned well. The new update doesn't have much to offer, it's a lot of bug fixes and some new features.

But WHY did this server survive the 1.5 update? The staff members had plans, we have plans and we can re-assure you it will survive. Plus, there is no way a server can be made in the time that it takes from this post to the update unless you want it to be terrible. This server will undergo an update at some point, it will be choppy in some areas but in others it will prosper. Deal with it, run around on horses and enjoy.

Also:

Right now JtE lacks natural quartz​
resources like glowstone cannot be found in the nether in great quantities anymore.​

we all have loads of supplies.
?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

And, if you have so many emeralds because they are not so rare, perhaps you can check out the glowstone trades that are out and about, that are refreshed on Mercantia once a week, and/or explore a bit!

6. Application Process for Towns - When I first started Elysium, I thought this would be great, but it's not. I've created many successful towns in the previous SMP, but this time I had trouble doing it. The main reason: I had no way of creating a TAG with a clan chat that would bond the new members to my clan. Let me explain. If you were a new player to Elysium, and two people called out your name in the chat. They each asked you if you wanted to join their clan. One person had a very fancy TAG and had chest protection and a clan chat. The other person didn't have a TAG or any fancy chat, but they had a very nice up and coming town that you couldn't see from the spawn. Who would you choose? I would choose the person with the fancy book cover, the TAG. See what I mean? This gave the smaller clan a disadvantage right off the bat. I also just really enjoyed the clan chat in the previous SMP. It was very convenient and we created a nice town even without the incentive of something like the clan chat or chest protection.​
If a new player decides to join a town, he is still joining the server and is going to play. If he keeps playing, he's interested. Getting players takes time, but it is not terribly difficult. Ask him to check it out. Remind him your doors are open. I don't see how this is related - it seems more like filler BS to get more people on your side.

This thread should be retitled, to something like: ''Feedback for future servers'' or something like ''The Elysium player-base thoughts'', were people can openly discuss there reaction to the server, and how it could be improved. That'd be better.
The problem with Elysium isn't the roof, it's the foundation. There are far too many things that need changed. It wouldn't be worth all the work to change all that stuff, because by the end it wouldn't even be Elysium anymore. We need to build the foundation of a new server.

The problem with Elysium isn't the roof, it's the foundation. There are far too many things that need changed.
What in the actual fuck needs changing? If you feel something's wrong, PM me! I am here to help this server grow and live, and if you know of problems or disagree with something... you should not say things are wrong without mentioning exactly what they are, you should bring them to me in a respectful manner. Saying things like this make me less inclined to do anything, if you're going to say 3 months of preparation and 7 months of sustaining by many staff members has turned out to gone to nothing, and the foundation has been flawed from the start when we created it?

I'm actually quite interested in what you have to say to this... and if you have nothing, don't throw stuff around, especially when you may (or may not) have noticed the Director has been watching this thread unfold.
I Absolutely love the way you put that a few posts up- Its not about the roof, its about the foundation.Ive seen plenty of servers (whether it be minecraft or something else) that start up, fail, and are scrapped.The beginning of things is extremely important. Ever heard the phrase, 'Make a good first impression?' If a server was lame at the start what would make me want to come back? A new one. JtE was nice at the start.
A few months later people are tired of this concept or realize they didn't like it in the first place. The foundation has turned into rubble.
That happens. This is why there are people who leave the server - they have enjoyed their time and are done. People do join, they do want to try it out the cycle goes on. Though a lot of our core community, the ones you could call those who post on the forums, go on TS/IRC, are on the servers are lot, and are here to stay has left... SMP servers develop a playerbase of their own, and each is special, and each has new and interesting people.

But again -- how has this foundation turned to rubble? The only thing I see that's turned to rubble is how Castra was destroyed after we had an event with 40-50 people online! Events are made, towns are crafted, staff are here... you are feeding off of other's thoughts, please keep an open mind and consider MY side, the one that has to deal with all of this and the players that like this server.

---

Now, let's get to my own thoughts on this topic.

I'll start off by expressing my opinion: No.
Why?

Anybody who does not realize there are plans, and anybody who does not understand the cycle of SMP servers and who can not accept change is going to want a new server. But let me tell you: There ARE plans, we are deciding to have the longest-running SMP server because we are trying something new, and we are giving towns, settlements and structures a very long time to expand. There is no fear of it being wiped, you have a sense of security. All your progress will not be wiped, you will have something that will stay forever.

Map resets are temporary fixes for one of the major problems in this game, and in life: Change. People want new... everything. As M_B_H said, I do not want to reset the map because it is a temporary fix to an issue we can never solve. While other maps have had this brought up in ~4 months, we've lived almost 7 months and this is being brought up. Our very stable foundation and gameplay concept has propelled us up to this record-breaker and we're not stopping here. Why not rejoice in the fact we have a long SMP? You need to make it refreshing for yourself, and when it is the time for us to do so we will do it - and we will do it well.

You now have the verdict of the one opinion that settles this, or at least, some of it. No poll, no sole opinion, no petition will change my mind, or the mindset of the Elysium staff team. Though you can change things within the server, you're not changing the consciousness of the server. That's in my hands, and I will be the one to rule over that. I'll let you complain, they will pass in one ear and out the other. If you want my attention, as many head-staff has said in many places, you can send me an organized PM outlining what you want changed and WHY. Though discussion like this is nice, it turns into an opinionated bandwagon when we want a factual, unbiased discussion.

Please do keep discussing this, I will quietly jot notes down and work to iron out flaws that many people seem to be pointing out.

Finally - might I end by saying...
Thanks for the suggestion.

myusername22

A username.
Donor
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com
Again, small things like a dungeon rework are not going to bring people back. We need a new structure for the whole picture.

The dungeon rework was an example I doubt anyone would think jte could survive alone as a dungeon server. If the point is there is nothing to do then perhaps instead of building another server we could take the easier option of simply adding more things to do. A small thing like dungeons is a small but helpful updates if we start adding things in to do with a bunch more small updates the server would slowly fall back together into something everyone could enjoy.:D if you're bored why don't you suggest things to do?

storm886

Reaction score
Can't say I didn't expect this thread to pop up one of these days. Only a matter of time!

First off, before this wall of text develops... I'd like to thank you for organizing the post nicely and not making it a total ragepost. It helps in giving valid points in which we can possibly work with and if you give me a somewhat respectful, fair post I will do the same in my reply.

Let's begin with point #1.

This has happened with all SMPs, from the best ones to the worst. These all-time lows are not specific to this server, but to the community at the moment. We are in a period of transition and refocusing, we have a relatively new server two months fresh, a new Administrator, and we are without our beloved classic servers. At the moment there is not a stable, developed method of advertisement. The only way we spread is by word-of-mouth and a few pages here and there, and that's not enough (and trust me, we have picked up on that).
Ok I'll give you that, sure you can get new players. But I think that the dedicated players that have been here a long time deserve a say.

Elysium is something new. The name itself suggests peace and bliss, and the server represents this. For the past 2 or so years... we have had maps with more substantial elements of PVP. There are players that like to play a calm, relaxing survival server sometimes. Those people are attracted to the server, and those who like die-hard PVP aren't. It makes sense, if you don't compare last server to this server. Also, might I hasten to add that us staff have been working on ways to incorporate PVP. It may come soon, and in the coming days PVP should have more of an influence on the server.

I understand PVP is something that moves the server. It creates action, it creates a challenge, and raiding has more meaning when you take down your enemy. But Elysium is different, and there still is 10% of the world for those who want a hardcore survival experience with the option to gain resources with a lesser threat. Also remember, we have dungeons for people who want to engage in PVP and we have nice dungeon entrances begging for camping. Though the outlets for it are limited, they are there.

The NN may make things more easier as well, though it wasn't a cakewalk to construct and in return paid off. But remember staff have been discussing things, and that changes may come. Assumptions will get you nowhere, mindless suggestion without consideration gets you nowhere.
Assumptions? Mindless suggestions? Did I not mention that I have been thinking about this for a very very very very long time now? I have been thinking about this since a month after the server was made. I can assure these aren't mindless suggestions. Am I open to what you have in store for us? Sure, but please be even more open to what these veterans of Blocktopia like DarkHender etc. have said today. Majority want a mainly PvP server.

Trades are refreshed, sales are made, it's all about reading the market and manipulating it. People like it, you don't. Not everyone likes it. And what is the problem with adding an extra outlet to gameplay? It's not effecting you negatively, it is only positive. If they were "somewhat useful" at any time in your playing, they have done their job. As for having loads of supplies, you can never have too much of anything. Take what you have an abundance of, spread it, love it.

As for the pre-made towns, imagine how different the SMP would be without them. This SMP was a lot of change, people don't like change, but the moment we take them away there will be people wanting them again. They were fun to explore, they are for new players... and they were never meant to study. Just an add-on, it helps the storyline and again... why the hell would we need a new server because of pre-made towns?! It's not a failed concept if it helped, or was cool, at any stage.
They were somewhat useful. But they ruined the traditional gathering of materials of survival. You may say yes this is a new concept being tried in Blocktopia, and that is fine. It made emeralds not rare and it made personal villagers really only for aesthetics. I don't know if Primordia had pre-made towns or not, and they probably worked if they did. I think you misunderstood me. When I say pre-made towns I meant the trades in them.

It can. We survived the 1.5 update, in fact the server has transitioned well. The new update doesn't have much to offer, it's a lot of bug fixes and some new features.

But WHY did this server survive the 1.5 update? The staff members had plans, we have plans and we can re-assure you it will survive. Plus, there is no way a server can be made in the time that it takes from this post to the update unless you want it to be terrible. This server will undergo an update at some point, it will be choppy in some areas but in others it will prosper. Deal with it, run around on horses and enjoy.
Again, I don't want a server to be made overnight. I just wanted to let you know that many players are afraid to tell you that they don't like the concept of JtE with the PvE and all the problems listed. And no, we should not update the server based entirely on the updates, I took this into consideration with all the other points made.

Also:

Right now JtE lacks natural quartz​
resources like glowstone cannot be found in the nether in great quantities anymore.​

we all have loads of supplies.
?!?!?!??!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

And, if you have so many emeralds because they are not so rare, perhaps you can check out the glowstone trades that are out and about.
Again, trades ruined the survival concept and the rare glowstone.

If a new player decides to join a town, he is still joining the server and is going to play. If he keeps playing, he's interested. Getting players takes time, but it is not terribly difficult. Ask him to check it out. Remind him your doors are open. I don't see how this is related - it seems more like filler BS to get more people on your side.
Filler? How dare you! This is a legitimate problem that I had. Let me refer you to Hockey's post:
I liked the rush of SMP where everyone in your clan trusted each other and watched out for the people in the clan. There was a lot more builds in a group, we all thought of ways to improve our base to prevent raids. We had to be creative with tasks like a tunnel system. We could create our own clans and clans didn't become oversized. There is ways to avoid PvP you had to figure out ways to give your clan the advantage. I feel that a lot of the JtE player base would stay if they tried PvP out and stuck with it for a week. I know a number of players who left because of the change to PvE and got bored with it. Thank You, [RFA] Storm for posting this! I agree with this whole thing. xD
What in the actual fuck needs changing? If you feel something's wrong, PM me! I am here to help this server grow and live, and if you know of problems or disagree with something... you should not say things are wrong without mentioning exactly what they are, you should bring them to me in a respectful manner. Saying things like this make me less inclined to do anything, if you're going to say 3 months of preparation and 7 months of sustaining by many staff members has turned out to gone to nothing, and the foundation has been flawed from the start when we created it?
Did you even read the thread? PvE, Trades, Tons of ghost towns that are eyesores, no players, lack of interest

You now have the verdict of the one opinion that settles this, or at least, some of it. No poll, no sole opinion, no petition will change my mind, or the mindset of the Elysium staff team. Though you can change things within the server, you're not changing the consciousness of the server. That's in my hands, and I will be the one to rule over that. I'll let you complain, they will pass in one ear and out the other. If you want my attention, as many head-staff has said in many places, you can send me an organized PM outlining what you want changed and WHY. Though discussion like this is nice, it turns into an opinionated bandwagon when we want a factual, unbiased discussion.

Finally - might I end by saying...
Thanks for the suggestion.
My first post was very organized and I thing it outlined things very well with many reasons why. I don't understand why you are being so rude to us for stating our opinion. You might have some things planned that might be good but please, please look at what had been laid before you. I can assure you, these are all legitimate concerns. You may hate me for posting this thread, but the people who left aren't going to come back.

Hockeyfan1852

Reaction score

Yes, JtE is something new we tried it out and can take ideas from it and incorporate into a server that will serve all players. PvP player or not we can make a server to suit both. You are basically saying that PvP players should just not play. We lost great people including staff because they didn't like the server after one month of trying it out. You need to find something enjoyable for all types of players. We are not suggesting a "Die-Hard PvP map" We would like a server with PvP but also shops and other things from JtE that were fun things to look forward to as a non-PvP player. Lets be honest here no one will use the PvP side because griefing is enabled. There is always room for improvement to suit all types of players.

We are not trying to make the new server to just build off the last we can have shops and events like the auction for non-PvP players to look forward to you could make it like the TNT shop with PvP disabled in that area.

Cool. Removed them for some of these reasons. Now let's make a new server because they're removed and a lost mirage in the distance! YAY!

You need to make a balanced server for all types of players and not cater to a certain group of players.
"Filler BS" he is making the point that old SMP clans were not oversize with new players because you could make a clan with your friends and not have to worry about applying, one player joining a fully developed town with 50+ people is not going to keep them as long as smaller clans from 4-15 were you feel like you are a part of team rather than recruiting central.

I'm actually quite interested in what you have to say to this... and if you have nothing, don't throw stuff around, especially when you may (or may not) have noticed the Director has been watching this thread unfold.
He wants to hear the player-bases input there are other opinions besides yours some people don't agree with me fine they are entitled to their own opinions. He shouldn't have to just go to you if he wants to hear how people can improve the server. Your hard work is not going to be wasted you can add stuff from JtE into the new server, and help keep the balance. The directors can watch the thread and state their opinions but need to take in consideration to what the player base wants.

That happens. This is why there are people who leave the server - they have enjoyed their time and are done. People do join, they do want to try it out the cycle goes on. Though a lot of our core community, the ones you could call those who post on the forums, go on TS/IRC, are on the servers are lot, and are here to stay has left... SMP servers develop a playerbase of their own, and each is special, and each has new and interesting people.

But again -- how has this foundation turned to rubble? The only thing I see that's turned to rubble is how Castra was destroyed after we had an event with 40-50 people online! Events are made, towns are crafted, staff are here... you are feeding off of other's thoughts, please keep an open mind and consider MY side, the one that has to deal with all of this and the players that like this server.
This is why there were SMP cycles for 4-6 months then a new map to make changes to the server and keep it balanced between PvP and non-PvP players. SMP 4 was for PvP players JtE was the exact opposite why not make a new server and keep features from both and bring back the old playerbase and keep the new one.
I'll start off by expressing my opinion: No.
Why?

Anybody who does not realize there are plans, and anybody who does not understand the cycle of SMP servers and who can not accept change is going to want a new server. But let me tell you: There ARE plans, we are deciding to have the longest-running SMP server because we are trying something new, and we are giving towns, settlements and structures a very long time to expand. There is no fear of it being wiped, you have a sense of security. All your progress will not be wiped, you will have something that will stay forever.
Map resets are temporary fixes for one of the major problems in this game, and in life: Change. People want new... everything. As M_B_H said, I do not want to reset the map because it is a temporary fix to an issue we can never solve. While other maps have had this brought up in ~4 months, we've lived almost 7 months and this is being brought up. Our very stable foundation and gameplay concept has propelled us up to this record-breaker and we're not stopping here. Why not rejoice in the fact we have a long SMP? You need to make it refreshing for yourself, and when it is the time for us to do so we will do it - and we will do it well.
The server IS something new and can be added to the new server. The server can't live forever towns are at the point of full maturity and a reset is needed. Then this is really just a bad statement on your part you are saying no matter how many people post their opinions or vote you will not listen to them and have the server your way. You are the director yes but other people play on this server too, and its not fair if you don't see their point of view in this case. and this "I'll let you complain, they will pass in one ear and out the other" Just says to me and others who have posted I don't give a shit about your suggestions. You basically are saying my way is right and I am director so we keep the server no matter how many players would like to use JtE and old SMP servers and create a balanced server. This is not a bandwagon people are speaking out in their own words about this and you are brushing it off. I am glad storm posted here because what you said above "I'll let you complain, they will pass in one ear and out the other" means you would just say no and that would be the end of it. People here actually have great suggestions for a new server and you are being stubborn about it.
I would love to hear your opinions on some of the ideas that people have posted already,

Hockeyfan1852

crashb23

The Rising Star
Reaction score
John, the server has been running 6 1/2 months everything is devolved I haven't seen one big project in Esper since leaving, people are look for a fresh start.

I know this is slightly off topic, but I don't want you to be able to use this as a point. The reason you haven't seen any projects is because you left, not because we are inactive. We have dedicated membership, across a few timezones, who are all very busy. Recently, we constructed a large village in the mountains near Esper, I built a Roller Coaster at 7-Flags, the Castle is completely decorated, Embassies are under way, and we're thinking of going for town. :) Esper, as well as Elysium as a whole has a very dedicated playerbase, who greatly enjoy the server. Back in SMP 4, we had people posting threads like this one, but focused the other way. It's just impossible to please everyone. (Note- 7 months into most SMP's there are nowhere NEAR as many people as I see on JtE at high times.)

• Informative

Hockeyfan1852

Reaction score
John, the server has been running 6 1/2 months everything is devolved I haven't seen one big project in Esper since leaving, people are look for a fresh start.

I know this is slightly off topic, but I don't want you to be able to use this as a point. The reason you haven't seen any projects is because you left, not because we are inactive. We have dedicated membership, across a few timezones, who are all very busy. Recently, we constructed a large village in the mountains near Esper, I built a Roller Coaster at 7-Flags, the Castle is completely decorated, Embassies are under way, and we're thinking of going for town. :) Esper, as well as Elysium as a whole has a very dedicated playerbase, who greatly enjoy the server. Back in SMP 4, we had people posting threads like this one, but focused the other way. It's just impossible to please everyone. (Note- 7 months into most SMP's there are nowhere NEAR as many people as I see on JtE at high times.)
Yes, I see what you are saying here however I am not trying to make this SMP 4 I want features from JtE to replace aspects of SMP 4. We can please I would say 80% of PvP and non-PvP players, yes it is impossible to please everyone but we can change the server to not lean towards one player type. Off Topic: I am glad Esper is still working on things outside the castle.

Reactions: crashb23

superstein

Ex-Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
I am sorry if I sounded a bit angered in my previous post. Hockey is right with all of his points. JtE is basically all PvE. And I was just a bit upset when you said that you wouldn't change anything no matter how many polls etc. I just felt attacked when you said I was just BSing.
Point I was trying to get across, is - as a response to your question:
Is it time for a new SMP server? It is not.

I was a bit rude, I apologize for that of course and this thread has proved useful for many things. I thank you for making it, and while my post was both to lay out my opinion and to stop the anti-server shitstorm waiting to start, it was brave and helpful of you to make it. We'll be basing things off of this thread, clearly you speak for a nice percentage of the playerbase and we understand that. Change will come in the coming weeks, we will try to satisfy as much as we can. But understand that those seeking peace do not like PVP and those seeking PVP do not like peace, and we try and will work to find the in-between.

Making a new server is not the solution, but alerting us staff is... and it's what you and others have perhaps, not in the most favorable way, done. We'll take a stab at pleasing the crowd, but turning this thread into a drama-fueled rant thread will not get us anywhere. Valid points and strong suggestions will. :)

Cheers,
superstein

Hockeyfan1852

Reaction score
I am sorry if I sounded a bit angered in my previous post. Hockey is right with all of his points. JtE is basically all PvE. And I was just a bit upset when you said that you wouldn't change anything no matter how many polls etc. I just felt attacked when you said I was just BSing.
Point I was trying to get across, is - as a response to your question:
Is it time for a new SMP server? It is not.

I was a bit rude, I apologize for that of course and this thread has proved useful for many things. I thank you for making it, and while my post was both to lay out my opinion and to stop the anti-server shitstorm waiting to start, it was brave and helpful of you to make it. We'll be basing things off of this thread, clearly you speak for a nice percentage of the playerbase and we understand that. Change will come in the coming weeks, we will try to satisfy as much as we can. But understand that those seeking peace do not like PVP and those seeking PVP do not like peace, and we try and will work to find the in-between.

Making a new server is not the solution, but alerting us staff is... and it's what you and others have perhaps, not in the most favorable way, done. We'll take a stab at pleasing the crowd, but turning this thread into a drama-fueled rant thread will not get us anywhere. Valid points and strong suggestions will. :)

Cheers,
superstein
Well, Thank You for the apology it is greatly accepted. The only real opinion I have for balancing the server is giving new players a fresh start and re-adding shops, dungeons, auctions, and events like Merchentia to please people that like peace and re-add the old clan system and PvP for people that want PvP. Thank you again for considering everyone's input.

Hockeyfan1852

Chillingworth

Ex-Zombie VetOp | Ex-AoD Op
Reaction score
I think the most impressive and innovative server we have ever had was Primordia, which we all know got so complicated with plug-ins that it had to be shut down.

We still have the original map, with all of the families and land laid out. What if we started new, taking away some of the more taxing plug-ins like the e-Store and returning the land to its release state? If we kept it technologically simple, I'm sure it would draw more players than JtE ever has.