wild dreams

Hunter

Mafia Host
Reaction score
In this little guide (if you can even call it that) I'll tell you everything I know about wake induced lucid dreaming and lucid dreaming in general.

First of all I'm going to start by saying that the crux of lucid dreaming is to be relaxed and alert. The problem most people come across when attempting WILDs is that they try to be very alert, but almost are never able to fall asleep, or, they fall asleep, but lose their alertness.

The reason behind this is very simple. We are so used to lulling ourselves to sleep with our own thoughts. Our thoughts distract us from the feeling of falling asleep, so we never notice it. The trick to wake induced lucid dreaming is to fall asleep with an empty mind.
For many people, stopping the internal dialogue seems very difficult. Every minute of every day they are doing nothing but talking to themselves in their head. Most people say they can't stop thinking, that's because you can't think your way out of thinking. The best way to stop thinking is to become aware of your thoughts, but let them be. Do not dwell on or entertain any of these thoughts, do not try to stop them either.

You must be aware of them and allow them to pass one by one. If you manage to do this, they will slowly reduce in number until, before you know it, there isn't any thoughts at all.

It is essential that you practice this every day while in an extremely relaxed physical state. For me, this means taking about at least an hour every day to lay on my bed, on my back with my eyes closed and letting my thoughts subside, and my muscles and breathing relax.
Something that I have come to understand is that thoughts come from a sense of need or lack. Many people cannot lucid dream because they desire it so much, therefore they cannot stop thinking about it.

When I practice emptiness I lay down and become intensly aware of what I am feeling. I become aware of my clinging to need. Maybe I rather not be lying down and doing literally nothing, maybe I want to go play video games, go talk to someone, eat something, get something done. Maybe I want to think about something that happened or that will happen because it makes me feel good(or bad). Or maybe I'll be thinking about how badly I want to lucid dream, and what I would do if I were in one right now. Maybe I'll just want to sleep.

I lie there with my eyes closed, and completely let go of every single one of those needs until I am completely OK with lieing there and doing nothing. Once I am ok with it, and no longer resist it or see it as a means to an end, then my thoughts will slowly go away, until I desire nothing, and think nothing. While doing this it is best not to move a muscle, nor open your eyes. Especially when you are attempting a WILD. The more you practice this, the better.
The next challenge is to fall asleep at this stage. The trick is to stay in that state for such a long time that your body falls asleep, but your consciousness doesn't. The more you practice this, the less time it will take to fall asleep with an empty mind.

Let me warn you that although you may practice this, a practice session can easily turn into the real thing. Quickly and suddenly without warning you may enter a dream state. So be ready for that, because it can scare the bejeezus out of you.

Whenever you choose, you can do what you've practiced in the morning, which in my opinion, is the easiest time to wild. After 4 to 8 hours of sleep, get up for a while, then go back to bed and do do what you've practiced. If you don't fall asleep and enter a WILD then that's ok, it only adds to your practice. It is best to do this while on your back, as being on your side or stomach tends to smother your awareness. You can give up at any time by rolling onto your side and going to sleep normally.

There are signals of falling asleep that normally you wouldn't even notice because of the distraction your thoughts cause. It might manifest in the form of a high pitched buzz in your ears, or hearing people talk that aren't there. Maybe you'll feel like you're falling or like something is sitting on you. You will most likely be overcome by sleep paralysis and not be able to move or talk, regardless, you must not get scared and try to move or wake up, nor should you try to open your eyes yet. You must let go and allow the hypnogogic hallucinations to pass. Once you have reached a state of silence after its over, then you can open you eyes. Once you do, you probably won't be in your room anymore, you'll be dreaming. After that, you are on your own.
-stolen from reddit.

Theodorre

The Fail Chipmunk
Reaction score
Sleep paralysis is extremely terrifying, especially if your mind creates 'reasons' as to why you can't move (i.e. you hallucinate being chained to your bed as a dark shadowy figure appears in the doorway, true story).

But lucid dreaming induced dare-I-say 'naturally' (as in, randomly) isn't very scary at all. I've done it quite a few times, the most recent being when I was standing on the top of a very large cliff and I thought I was going to die, but then I realised I was dreaming, so I just jumped off the cliff and flew through the ground. When I was younger, I had lucid dreams very often but I didn't realise just how powerful they were, so I ended up doing the most boring things possible. One time I teleported into my own room to watch myself sleep. I was that interesting.

Fruit

Brrraaaaaiiiinnnnsss
Reaction score
When I'm about to fall asleep, sometimes without even trying to lucid dream, I feel like I'm falling/like I'm going to die so I panic and freak out and then I wake up...

Nottykitten

Nomnomnom kitteh!
Reaction score
But it's impossible to not think about anything for me ;-;

As soon as the voices in my head stop talking I ofc hear myself breathing since I'm lying still, and then I start thinking about the fact that I have to breath. It's like whenever someone says "You now become aware that you are breathing automatically" and suddenly it's not automatically anymore. Same with blinking and stuff. And since I need to breath/blink I start thinking about the action *blink* or *take a breath* and ofcourse my heads never gonna stay clear if I have to think about that.

Lucid dreams to happen though, while not often once every two weeks or so is still nice. The other dreams are about spiders and ogod I hate it whenever there are spiders everywhere in my dreams. plsmakeitstahp.[BCOLOR=#ffffff]¿whatishappning¿¿[/BCOLOR]

Last edited:

Tamsanity

Reaction score
yo WHATS UP
My profile picture is a photo from the presentation I did on lucid dreaming- It's a depiction of a lucid dream I had, in which I was standing in a large field with a tall man and the sky was full of nebula.
I did a speech on this topic, I've been lucid dreaming for two years, and I know a group of people who practice it.
I have had sleep paralysis before, but that was when I was practicing astral projection, which is in it's own distinct group.
I was laying in my bed, and I couldn't move. There was a dark and awful presence behind me and it was coming closer and about to float over my head, I was trying to scream but no noise came out. All of a sudden I was thrown across the room, into my dresser, and I woke up in my bed too scared to move.
so yeah, practicing lucid dream is safe, as long as you do it right, man.
Here's how I practice it.

Lay in bed in a comfortable position, and just breathe deeply in and out. Feel the muscles in your feet start to relax, they feel really heavy, so heavy. Feel your ankles relax, they get heavy as well. Relax the muscles in your calves, your legs and your thighs, and feel every muscle relax individually until you get to your neck. Take a moment and imagine directing each of your breaths into any muscle that might still feel tense, soothing them.
Imagine, in your head, that all of your thoughts are liquid. Imagine that liquid rippling, each of your thoughts rippling outwards until they disappear completely.
During this process your body will try to send you signals to see if you're relaxed enough for sleep. Maybe you feel the urge to change the position you're sleeping in, maybe there's an itchy spot on your body. Resist these signals consciously, but continue letting your thoughts ripple out.
If you resist these body signals while you are aware that you're conscious, it will trick your body into believing that you're ready for sleep even if you're fully aware, and will induce lucid dreaming if done correctly.

Keeping a dream journal helps a lot if you plan on practicing lucid dreams often. You have to keep it on your nightstand, or on the floor next to your bed, under your pillow. Write down the dream you just had as soon as you wake up. We forget 90% of our dreams within five minutes of waking, so you're more likely to write your entire dream down the sooner you write it down.
Writing your dreams down will ultimately make your dreams more vivid because you'll remember more details after waking. Once you understand the way your subconscious works your dreams, you'll feel more comfortable in the dream itself and things will come more naturally, especially with induced lucid dreaming.

Look at your hands.
Sounds weird. Just, look at them throughout the day, trust me. Put one finger down to your palm at a time, count them. one, two, three, four, five. Do it to both hands.
In your dream, if you're mildly lucid you can choose to look at your hands. Your hands will not look normal. You will not have five fingers, if you can mentally note this, you'll realize that you're dreaming, thus inducing a lucid dream.

Some extra infooo
If you regularly have nightmares, using this technique can help you to alleviate them and conquer whatever fears find their way into your dreams. The Department of Psychology conducted a study to find out if lucid dreaming could help get rid of recurring nightmares. Five subjects were tested, and after the study was finished, four out of the five found that their nightmares were completely diminished. Lucid dreaming can be therapeutic because it can allow you to be aware in your nightmare, and let you decide to overcome the fears that keep following you. Since you know you’re not awake, you know what’s happening isn’t real, and therefore you can make the decision to change the situation and defeat your fears.
Lucid dreaming and lucid sleep allows you to solidify everything you learned during the day, as well as consciously choosing what other things you want to solidify in your memory, so it can help improve your memory as a whole.

Reactions: CaffeinatedKitty