When to go to the hospital?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naterger

Donor
Creative Staff
Reaction score
Hopefully never, but..
this morning i started coughing up blood, after a cough/cold of ~2 weeks. This is a very unfamiliar occurrence for me, I've never coughed up blood before. It's probably just me freaking out from reading webmd & all that jazz, but the amount seems to be increasing. Typically i'd make haste to get to the hospital/doctor, though at the moment my dad is transferring jobs so we are in between insurance. He told me to just ride it out... should I? I have been coughing/clearing my throat excessively in the past few weeks, i believe that could cause the blood, that or it is bronchitis.
So my biggest question is, what is the harm of not going to get this checked out?

I suppose it isn't a bad idea to add i recently got over a stomach virus that had me throwing up absolutely everything i consumed, water, food etc. I know that can be quite irritating, that was ~ a week ago.

Naterger

Donor
Creative Staff
Reaction score
Yes, you should. Could be a sign of bronchitis or pneumonia.

In fact, the fact you've been going for so long and now are coughing blood is a very good sign that it IS pneumonia. That can be life threatening left untreated. http://www.lung.org/lung-disease/pneumonia/.
Oh man, that one totally slipped my mind. Kinda glad i made this thread now. I'm gonna go see if my dad will take me now. Life-threatening is not my cup of tea.

Reactions: Infected_alien8_

Naterger

Donor
Creative Staff
Reaction score
I don't know if any of you are familiar with peak flow meters.. Its a tool for asthmatics to test their breathing level. I blew higher than i normally do on it. Coughing up blood seems to have diminished if not stopped. I'm going to go see my friends mom (a general practitioner). Gonna hold off on a real doctor visit for monetary reasons. Thanks for the wise words though, it most definitely helped me reach an appropriate decision.

also i kind of suppose this thread is useless now, sorry about adding to the clutter B )

Naterger

Donor
Creative Staff
Reaction score
Aye i definitely know its a community. & In all honesty i got an answer on here from 2 people quicker than i could get in touch with either of my parents. If i could have afforded it i'd have taken myself directly to the hospital.

but aye, ive been outside biking/boarding all day with no more blood being coughed up so i think i must have popped a capillary from all the coughing ive been doing. If the cough keeps up i'll probably make my way to a doc.

D

DarkHender

Aye i definitely know its a community. & In all honesty i got an answer on here from 2 people quicker than i could get in touch with either of my parents. If i could have afforded it i'd have taken myself directly to the hospital.

but aye, ive been outside biking/boarding all day with no more blood being coughed up so i think i must have popped a capillary from all the coughing ive been doing. If the cough keeps up i'll probably make my way to a doc.
Glad to hear that you have been feeling better!

• Love
Reactions: Mastersten

Notme

Self-Aware Forum AI
Reaction score
Website
escaperestart.com

Nice to hear, thats its getting better :)

Da Jinks

Political Nerd
Reaction score
i love how many doctors we have on blocktopia

just go to a clinic and ask a doc, no point in going to a hospital for it
I understand where you are coming from, but at the same point in time it wasn't hard for me to go to the Mayo Clinic's website and put in "coughing blood" to find this: http://www.mayoclinic.org/symptoms/coughing-up-blood/basics/definition/sym-20050934.

The Mayo Clinic, which is considered one of if not THE top hospital in the world, is saying you should seek medical attention and/or emergency care. Don't see what is negative from giving that information off.

Iguana

lmao i have a title
Reaction score
I understand where you are coming from, but at the same point in time it wasn't hard for me to go to the Mayo Clinic's website and put in "coughing blood" to find this: http://www.mayoclinic.org/symptoms/coughing-up-blood/basics/definition/sym-20050934.

The Mayo Clinic, which is considered one of if not THE top hospital in the world, is saying you should seek medical attention and/or emergency care. Don't see what is negative from giving that information off.
the point i'm trying to get across is that you are given A SINGLE symptom and are trying to justify an entire illness

if i told anyone about what my grandfather had (same thing, coughing blood), i'd get the same response from this thread, when in fact he passed away from tuberculosis. i really hope naterger doesn't have tb, but we can't be sure of that, and that's something only a physical examination and prognosis from a GP can tell you

it's one thing to try and be helpful where you can, but the best way to do so is to actively encourage them to seek a medical professional rather than a self diagnosis from a trusted internet site

• Winner
Reactions: Hunter and snowma

JtTorso

Reaction score
I do not know where Naterger is from, but assuming that he is from a country where not having health insurance could result in large medical bills, it could possibly be just as detrimental to his family's economic situation in the long run. People tend to forget that going to the doctor isn't an option for a lot of individuals. I'm not saying that Naterger should not see a medical professional, but going could have serious repercussions financially and things aren't simply black and white.

Status
Not open for further replies.