Update to Xenforo 1.4.x

Hunter

Mafia Host
Reaction score
video detailing changes which may pique interest

This includes:
  • the ability to deal with likespam by removing all likes made by a user within a set timeframe, along with the corresponding alerts
  • (temp)banning users from replying to specific threads
  • alerting users when their content is moderated in some way, with a "reason" field
there are more changes than listed here

JtTorso

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure GmK has already given a definitive statement as to why we won't be updating. I don't really see a lot of the new additions being all that necessary, the last one you mentioned sounds actually really useful since editing posts and threads for staff purposes has been in discussion recently but stretching for donations just for an updating that we really don't overall need isn't a great place to put our money.

Hunter

Mafia Host
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure GmK has already given a definitive statement as to why we won't be updating. I don't really see a lot of the new additions being all that necessary, the last one you mentioned sounds actually really useful since editing posts and threads for staff purposes has been in discussion recently but stretching for donations just for an updating that we really don't overall need isn't a great place to put our money.
isn't this exactly what we did in order to get xenforo in the first place after brohoster died?

Hunter

Mafia Host
Reaction score
Mods can send PMs to users.
did you watch the video at all? of course mods can send pms to users.
there's a reason field available in the update.
It's not the same because of the significant differences between what we use now and what we had, if we're talking about the same iteration of the forums that were previously used.
yes, but there's no harm in allowing people to donate towards that regardless of the likelihood of reaching that goal

Fiestaguy

The man with 8 fingers.
Reaction score
Website
thebes.openshells.net
did you watch the video at all? of course mods can send pms to users.
there's a reason field available in the update.

yes, but there's no harm in allowing people to donate towards that regardless of the likelihood of reaching that goal
You can type in a reason in your little text box, using a keyboard.

CloudBryan9

Your Local Time Traveler
Reaction score
I don't really think that the upgrade is needed. Yes there are some good things in the update. But those things are wants not needs.

Seeing how donations are rather slow. I would rather see the money that could go to the update go toward advertising or development of servers.

Basically, stuff we can't find a work around with a few extra steps.

• Agree
Reactions: JKangaroo

tnm

Reaction score
Yes, upgrading the forums would be nice. There's a lot of things that would be nice. However it seems more of a luxury rather than a necessity- the forums work really quite well as they are and, to me personally, the update would be a waste of money considering there's plenty better things to spend it on.

GmK

International Man Of Cake
Reaction score
There is also some other 'internal' stuff that makes an upgrade not very likely as of right now - next to the money issue.

I would love to update as much as you all, but right now we want to pursue a 'don't touch what isn't broken' philosophy.

The upgrade is on a list of things going to happen, there is just no clear timeframe yet.