discuss your favorite philosphers here!

strictly no trolley problem memes

required reading;
existentialism is humanism - jean-Paul Sartre
utilitarianism - john Stuart mill <- another great one
thus spake Zarathustra - Friedrich Nietzsche
meditations - Marcus Aurelius <- my favorite
ethics - Spinoza
critique of pure reason - Immanuel Kant (cliffnotes would do)
Hegel's Wikipedia page (because that's all you really need to know)

modern philosophers like peter singer and john gray are cool too

also while not directly philosophy Dr. Arthur deikman the wrong way home is pretty great also

brothers Karamazov is a good read, maybe I'll include the Prince too if you're into Machiavelli's realpolitiks (i guess pragmatism fits as philosophy) (Malco this is for you)

Last edited:
Reactions: Undefined User 7

Trap_Wolf

dam u str8 babygurl
Reaction score
Website
www.trapwolf.com
What modern day philosophy could be:
Do we have to do existentialism? I always liked ethical philosophy.
Trap_Wolf's response would've said:
Existentialism fine and dandy; I don't know if it really has anything profound or relevant to say presently. It's mostly a term that's been retroactively used to define philosophical discourse after the philosopher has passed or fell into obscurity and then "THEY WERE AN EXISTENTIALIST" was slapped onto their discourse to bring them back. Idk what u mean "do we have to do [it]" unless you mean do we have to go through the process in which an individual experiences the world and creates their own moral code that's superseding (theoretically?) any external value systems and institutional paragons that interject themselves into a person's formation of moral code. As well as,- [banterbanterbatner]
What it actually becomes:

Reaction score
philosphy
yes i did typo, sorry feel free to join in the discussion
Do we have to do existentialism? I always liked ethical philosophy.

Who does everyone read/subscribe to? I always liked Kant, Bentham, and Roseau

I like Marx too but I guess that's kinda a gimme amirite
i'm all about stoics, its a very humble system of ethics, though a bit impersonal.

as for Kant i find that hes too strict in his own ideologies (his works read like manuals whereas, nietzsche is more prosaic even modern kantians bend the rules a bit for super-rare cases whereas Kant probably wouldnt allow that)

bentham is nice, though the whole Hedonic calculus is weird as i find that by the time youve calculated the most utility per situation, the time to acutally perform said action is passed

existentialism and nihilism are hardly ever applied by (pre-postmodern) philosophers themselves, i find that its usually an Insult to discredit a different idealogy used at the time

have you read much of Marx on religion? his ethical views become far more obvious

Reactions: Undefined User 7