Undefined Contingency

Fiestaguy

The man with 8 fingers.
Reaction score
Website
thebes.openshells.net
So er, I got bored one day and started programming a little fun game in LUA. It's a text-based, turn-based dungeon crawling RPG (Geez that's a mouthful.) It currently features 2 enemies, 1 item and 3 equip items (Only 2 of them being able to be used ATM and one of those being a debugging item.)

So er, build 0.0.1 is open for testing, I guess ;-;
If you want to debug, equip the DebugHammer in the equip menu and use the 'elv' command, followed by a number on the main menu to edit the players' level.

Note that this is still a WIP, this thread and the game itself will be updated overtime. Currently it's written in a plain .lua format compiled into an executable for people to run it easily without using a lua prompt/command screen. Once the main game is done I'll reprogram it using the LÖVE framework, add some music, 2D graphics and the game will look much better ;-;

Download's here:
[accordion]
{slide=Build 0.0.1}Features:
2 Enemies: Greenslime and Gravelturtle
1 Item: Lesser healing potion (+10 HP)
2 Equip items.

Todo list:
Er, more enemies and items and stuff.
-Make the stick obtainable instead of being there at start
-Disable the damn debughammer

DOWNLOAD 0.0.1:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qqohn8x0p0jnc2v/Noname.exe?dl=0

{/slide}
{slide=Build 0.0.2}
CHANGELOG:
-Tidied up the code, filesize shrunk from 212KB to 208KB
-Nerfed Lesser Healing Potion drop rate from 75% to 30%
-DebugHammer disabled
-Stats now scale at a fixed amount each levelup
-Stick no longer available from start: Can be obtained from Greenslimes and Gravel Turtles at an 8% droprate
-Enemy attacks are now a random number eavh turn
-Nerfed Gravel Turtle
-Added support for up to 11 levels (Above 7 no others will appear)

DOWNLOAD 0.0.2:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qfvy2e0h16v4icb/Noname 0.0.2.exe?dl=0
{/slide}
{slide=Build 0.0.3}
CHANGELOG:
+ New enemy! Blue slime; Appears at levels 3 to 6
+ Documentation with info about the game.
+ 'Quit' option on main menu
+ Debug menu (Shows all variables, accessed by a 16-character password. Access by typing 'pptyyx' on the battle or menu screen.)
+ Headers in the inventory, equip and main menu screen.
+ Support for a maximum of 6 enemies per level area.
+ Cheat for instant level-up (It's a seecreeeet)
+ Partial OS X Support (LUA Must be installed incl. Command line tools and then manually run in terminal. Yeah, no-one's going to use this...)
* Input is no longer case sensitive
[SIDENOTE: Oh fuck, I need one that lacks context.]
* quetack is turned to 'false' when function victory() is executed. (If a gravel turtle has been defeated while charging it's stronger tackle, the next gravel turtle encountered will no longer immediately use a full-force tackle without charging.)

DOWNLOAD:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8n65l6yv48to4gq/Noname 0.0.3.exe?dl=0
{/slide}
[/accordion]

For now, er. We could do with a story, if someone wants to contribute writing that'd be amazing. Currently I don't need graphics or music, but it's still appreciated ;D NOW HIRING ACCEPTING VOLUNTEERS.

Last edited:

Fiestaguy

The man with 8 fingers.
Reaction score
Website
thebes.openshells.net
I like it.
Typing "Offense" every time you attack though is a bit tedious.
I see some real potential in this.
I assume you plan to make this into a sort of text based adventure?
It will be text-based. I'm doing the sourcecode and working out ideas first. Then I'll go and re-build it for the LÖVE framework. I'm currently busy re-building the battle sourcecode from scratch to save more memory and such.

For the story, was thinking more of something along the lines of tons of monsters invading the place. Around level 10 you'll encounter petty thieves, at level 15 you'll get the first boss. After that the story will be introduced.

I already have a person called 'Paroxysm' (From the amazing SCP Foundation IRC) to try working a bit with chiptune for the music.

Enderfive

sarcasm incarnate
Mafia Host
Reaction score
It will be text-based. I'm doing the sourcecode and working out ideas first. Then I'll go and re-build it for the LÖVE framework. I'm currently busy re-building the battle sourcecode from scratch to save more memory and such.

For the story, was thinking more of something along the lines of tons of monsters invading the place. Around level 10 you'll encounter petty thieves, at level 15 you'll get the first boss. After that the story will be introduced.

I already have a person called 'Paroxysm' (From the amazing SCP Foundation IRC) to try working a bit with chiptune for the music.
Do you think it should be like horror or adventure or what genre should it be, so I could start thinking about the story?

Fiestaguy

The man with 8 fingers.
Reaction score
Website
thebes.openshells.net
Do you think it should be like horror or adventure or what genre should it be, so I could start thinking about the story?
Like, a mythical adventure including magic. I kinda can't explain much. If you can come to skype we can brainstorm.

*Meanwhile*
  • It perfectly catches the THOUSANDS OF FUCKING BUGS COMING IN
    1:13 PM
  • MORE
  • MORE
  • MORE FUCKING BUGS
  • UNTILL ALL THE VARIABLES ARE CRAP
  • THEN THE FUCKING ALT KEYBOARD LAYOUT JUMPS ON YOU LIKE A NEW YORK RUNNER WITH A MINT TO SPARE
  • THEN ALL THE FUCKING CODE FUCKS UP
  • ALL THE VARIABLES GO TO NIL
  • IO.READ() DOESN'T SAVE
    1:14 PM
  • FLUSH FUNCTION OVERLOADS MULTIPLE VARIABLES ONTO ONE STRING
  • MORE STUFF GOES WRONG
  • THE SELECRTIONS GO APESHIT
  • MORE
  • MORE FUCKING BUGS
  • ALL THE FUCKING BUGS IN THE CODE
  • NO
  • NO
  • NO
  • NO
  • OH GOD MY EDITOR STOPPED
  • STRING OVER
  • TERMINATE THE LOOP
  • TERMINATE THE LOOP
  • OH GOD
  • NO
  • NOOOOOOOOOOOOO
  • *Bluescreen*
  • Coding, ladies and gentlemen^^

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: Notme

Timdood3

Mafia Host
Reaction score
Ow wow, that Gravel Turtle's tackle hurts. It either does 0 damage, 2-3 or 7-9 ;-;
I know you said you nerfed it, but that's still pretty OP if you ask me xD

Maybe make it so slimes still appear instead of it just switching?
Perhaps a system like from levels 1-3 the spawn rate is 100% slimes
Level 4 is 80% slime 20% turtle
Level 5 is 60% slime 40% turtle
and so on.

I'd also like to see some form of random encounters that aren't combat. Maybe add gold, and you come across merchants where you can buy LHP's and maybe some weaponry, spells (Yeah, I see that mana there) and other miscellaneous items.

Hey look! Productive feedback! Now to keep bashing my face against turtles.

Fiestaguy

The man with 8 fingers.
Reaction score
Website
thebes.openshells.net
Ow wow, that Gravel Turtle's tackle hurts. It either does 0 damage, 2-3 or 7-9 ;-;
I know you said you nerfed it, but that's still pretty OP if you ask me xD

Maybe make it so slimes still appear instead of it just switching?
Perhaps a system like from levels 1-3 the spawn rate is 100% slimes
Level 4 is 80% slime 20% turtle
Level 5 is 60% slime 40% turtle
and so on.

I'd also like to see some form of random encounters that aren't combat. Maybe add gold, and you come across merchants where you can buy LHP's and maybe some weaponry, spells (Yeah, I see that mana there) and other miscellaneous items.

Hey look! Productive feedback! Now to keep bashing my face against turtles.
Currently the green slimes are way too easy to kill over level 4, I will add a blue slime (That'll appear from lvl 3 to 6) Furthermore, those encounters will be added a bit later.

Also, not sure if you noticed but, the gravel turtles first charge up their attack (Deep breaths) and THEN do the 8-10 attack. Then, the 8-10 attack is a 25% chance, the other is a 75% chance.

The mana will be added around like level 11, after the first boss has been defeated and the battles will become gradually more complex (I'm planning to have battles with 2 or 3 enemies at a time once the game is on full steam ahead.) But I'll probably be working on a save system after the second boss. And you can't save after each battle: Every 5 victories you'll gain a 'Save point' and then you can save your game once (Also after each boss fight). But I might look for nerfing the turtles if needed. (By the way. did you get the 8% stick yet?)

Timdood3

Mafia Host
Reaction score
I wasn't looking for turtle attack patterns, I was just kind of spamming O. I think a block could be pretty cool.

And I wasn't talking about "ADD THIS NOW" just ideas for later.

And yes I did get the stick.

Fiestaguy

The man with 8 fingers.
Reaction score
Website
thebes.openshells.net
I wasn't looking for turtle attack patterns, I was just kind of spamming O. I think a block could be pretty cool.

And I wasn't talking about "ADD THIS NOW" just ideas for later.

And yes I did get the stick.
Ofc a full block wouldn't be added, maybe a +2 defense for one turn action later on. And especially in later levels you'll want to pay attention to the actions c:<

Fiestaguy

The man with 8 fingers.
Reaction score
Website
thebes.openshells.net
0.0.3's almost there! All that is left is to compile & upload the thing. "What can we expect of 0.0.3 lel i want 360 noscop bitch how2quickscop #gitrektm8" I hear you ask.

Let me give you this change log with barely any context for you to daydream about in amazement for the rest of the day:

--CHANGELOG--
[0.0.3]
+ New enemy! Blue slime; Appears at levels 3 to 6
+ Documentation with info about the game.
+ 'Quit' option on main menu
+ Debug menu (Shows all variables, accessed by a 16-character password. Access by typing 'pptyyx' on the battle or menu screen.)
+ Headers in the inventory, equip and main menu screen.
+ Support for a maximum of 6 enemies per level area.
+ Cheat for instant level-up (It's a seecreeeet)
+ Partial OS X Support (LUA Must be installed incl. Command line tools and then manually run in terminal. Yeah, no-one's going to use this...)
* Input is no longer case sensitive
[SIDENOTE: Oh fuck, I need one that lacks context.]
* quetack is turned to 'false' when function victory() is executed. (If a gravel turtle has been defeated while charging it's stronger tackle, the next gravel turtle encountered will no longer immediately use a full-force tackle without charging.)

Actual 0.0.3 build will be released soon™

Oh, Did I say 'Soon™'? I SMELL A NEW VERSION ALREADY COMING! BRING IT, GARRICK.

PLANNED FOR 0.1.0 RELEASE:
+ New enemies
+ First Boss
+ Multiple new items
+ New area system
> Enemies will appear according to Area player is in instead of level the player has
> Areas are unlocked by various means, most commonly by levelling up or beating a boss.
>> I swear, It won't be the super-mario "Grasslands, desert, forest, jungle, ice-world, fire- world BOSS"-Cliché
+ Player can be given a name
+ (Possibly) the ability to SAVE your game.
+ Actually finish documentation (Fiesta, you lazy bastard!)
+ Possible OS X Playable using a .app version.

Has anyone noticed the inconsistent changelog format?

Fiestaguy

The man with 8 fingers.
Reaction score
Website
thebes.openshells.net
how about Adventure Undefined
'Adventure'... sounds a bit generic, doesn't it?

Ohwell, spoiler: The game will have more branching paths in which the player can greatly affect themselves and the world around them in a way that is neither good nor bad. A contingency of sorts. And since the variables indicating such choice are still undefined I guess 'Undefined Contingency' works? If it only weren't such a mouthful...