UCON Snowball Fight Thread

S_swimmer

The Speedo
Reaction score
Welcome, one and all, to UCON's 1rst Annual Extreme Snowball Fight!

That is my goal here. I have created this thread to talk about one of my latest ideas for the server: The UCON Snowball Fight.
If you haven't already heard, the UCON Snowball Fight is planned to be an annual, possibly 3-4 months, extreme server-wide snowball fight. Players will fight to the death on teams with only snowballs to throw. Swords, bows, even hands aren't allowed. Each player will be equipped in full, non-enchanted iron armor. Each time we host a snowball fight, you will play in a different environment created by the Arena Architect (me, if we go through with this). The environments will be called arenas (I know, I know, Hunger Games reference). The arenas will be full of setbacks, tricks, secrets, traps, and everything that could make it "extreme." I plan for this event to be hosted by UCON. If you do not know what UCON is, please see the thread. It's right up there. You might be thinking, "oh, dear god. A snowball fight? This is silly." But, I know that there has been a lot of tension on the server lately, with clans and normal players and everyone. Such is the nature of Survival Multiplayer. But sometimes all the tension can start to kill the fun. A server-wide, all-out, extreme snowball fight is the exact kind of stupid, useless, hilarious fun we need to relax our players and put a smile on their faces. And not to mention this will obviously attract more players to the server, if that is a worry amongst staff. If not, then it doesn't matter. If you are trying to keep more players from coming, then we should keep it on the down-low. But that's just an extra thing. Well, now you know about my UCON Snowball Fight idea. I have created this thread so everyone can expose flaws for me to fix, share ideas for the arenas and/or the event in general, and, possibly, post a picture of an arena you might've made in your spare time. I hope we can make this happen. I will post updates about my plan as well, but until then, adios!

S_swimmer

The Speedo
Reaction score
I was planning to have something like, "this is the date, this is the time you need to get there by. If you're late, you're not in." But I suppose sign-ups would be a good idea too! But we would have to get this whole thing set up and approved, first. I need to make sure that Ops and Admins agree with hosting this event on the server officially. (That's your cue, guys! XD)

S_swimmer

The Speedo
Reaction score
New updates:

• UCON Snowball Fight now changed to SMP Snowball Fight
  • Sign-ups will be held to get into each Fight
  • Planning on 2 rounds: one Team Battle, one FFA
  • Shinyshark agrees to hosting the Fight

S_swimmer

The Speedo
Reaction score
With any luck, I'm hoping to start sign-ups in about a month or so. It would take a while for me to build an arena on the server, obviously, since this isn't a creative server and I'd need lots of supplies and protection to make one. But the real challenge is straightening things out and getting this to run as smoothly as possible. But that might be a heck of a lot easier, because from what I've heard, Shinyshark might help me.

Silvuss

Reaction score
With any luck, I'm hoping to start sign-ups in about a month or so. It would take a while for me to build an arena on the server, obviously, since this isn't a creative server and I'd need lots of supplies and protection to make one. But the real challenge is straightening things out and getting this to run as smoothly as possible. But that might be a heck of a lot easier, because from what I've heard, Shinyshark might help me.
Ill help too, seeing as im not doing much on the server anymore.

S_swimmer

The Speedo
Reaction score
Updates:

• Currently working on an arena in my Single Player world- Team Battle :: Ice vs. Snow
  • Now recruiting for The Team, an organization to make these fights possible. Current members: S_swimmer, Silvuss, Shinyshark
  • Goal date for sign-up beginning: August 12th --- not a confirmed date

Silvuss

Reaction score
Updates:

• Currently working on an arena in my Single Player world- Team Battle :: Ice vs. Snow
  • Now recruiting for The Team, an organization to make these fights possible. Current members: S_swimmer, Silvuss, Shinyshark
  • Goal date for sign-up beginning: August 12th --- not a confirmed date
You could try and build the arena on the Buildbox so that when your offline everyone can understand what your trying to get the arena to be like.

S_swimmer

The Speedo
Reaction score
Update:

As I was building an arena on my Single Player world, I came up with an idea. Sometimes, in arenas, there will be hidden items that help whoever finds it, and, if it is a Team Battle, it helps their team. Some will just be items and supplies, others will be special items that alter the rules of the arena. An example of this, I came up with, is the Grief Pick. Changing with the arenas, the Grief Pick allows you to break certain blocks/kinds of blocks in the arena, revealing many complicated twists, without getting banned, warned, or kicked from the Fight. For example, perhaps you or somebody on your team finds the Grief Pick. Beside its hidden chest are signs that explain that with the Grief Pick, you can break ONLY birch wood planks. You remember that on the floor of each tower, there is a bull's-eye pattern, with a single birch wood plank in the center. You eventually find a secret tunnel with ladders leading up to a birch wood plank. You break the block and find yourself in the enemy tower. Oh, what fun! :devilish:

Silvuss

Reaction score
Interesting, but I don't think you could stop people from using it on other things without someone watching them all the time, unless there was only one or two Grief Picks.

S_swimmer

The Speedo
Reaction score
There IS only one Grief Pick if it is applied in an arena. I'm sorry I forgot to mention this but if special items are applied to an arena, there will only be one of them.
Also, there WILL be someone watching them all the time, or more like someones. The Team isn't just going to create these fights, they're going to run them. The non-Ops on The Team will be working on filtering people in the arena, stripping them of any belongings they brought with them and handing them their personal supplies for the fight, and manning the gates and getting rid of that occasional hopeful raider that thinks he can get in and kill everyone in the fight. The Ops on The Team will basically do what Ops do all the time in raids, with the exception of a few things- flying around, making sure nobody breaks the rules, griefs, whips out a sword, cheats, etc., etc. Basically keeping the fight going as we want it to. I will be glad to take any objections to this, because I want you guys to be doing what you want to do on The Team, and other thoughts about it.

Updates:

• NogTrog added to The Team
  • First goal for The Team: find a place on the server to place the arena in and get permission from Head Staff/server leaders to place arena and host fight
*Reminder: This thread is also a place to add ideas of any sorts to the SMP Snowball Fight, and to possibly share screenshots of arenas you've made, if any of you have actually wanted to do that.

S_swimmer

The Speedo
Reaction score
Alright, guys, HUGE update here. Get ready for this....

The Team is now fully organized. There are 3 wings in The Team:

The Location Wing, who picks the location for each fight.
The Building Wing, who builds the arenas in the location.
The Planning Wing, who plans how the fights are going to run and gets permission from Head Staff/server leaders to run the event on the server and in the location.

With every wing, there is a Captain, who organizes and leads the wing. Captains answer any questions wing members have and represent their wing in this thread as well (although any individual member can share thoughts unrelated to their wing). Members can be part of any multiple number of wings if they are willing to give themselves the extra work. Captains, however, can only be in the wing they lead. In the end, the wings all group together and do what I stated previously (see Reply 16).

Less complicated updates:

• NogTrog promoted to Building Wing Captain
  • Chris360kss added to The Team
  • Captain Positions in the Planning Wing and Location Wing are currently open
Note: I feel so freaking mature running this! :bounce: