TNT Map Competition #3 - CTF/KOTH

KingSam

The Head Pyromaniac
Reaction score

(Promotional poster made by ErikKruchten)

After many speculations and rumours, it is finally ready. The third map competition for the TNT Wars server, starting this Friday!

This time, unlike the other two map competitions, there is a theme that we'd like you to build maps based on. As you may or may not be aware, recently we have been adding new game-modes for TNT such as Capture the Flag and King of the Hill. This is all well and good, but without more maps utilising these game-modes, they're played rather rarely at the moment, considering we have near 100 maps in rotation at the time of writing.

How does this involve you? Well, that's pretty obvious! We want every single one of you, whether your building talent is small or large, to take part in this competition. The more submissions we have, the more maps that are likely to make it into the map rotation!

Before I take any more of your precious creative thinking time, I would like you all to note the following rules and guidelines with this competition. I DO NOT want to see any of these broken with the entries, you all deserve an equal chance at the prizes and
don’t want to get disqualified for something minor!

Rules

General:

1. To submit an entry you must have registered on the forums
2. You may NOT submit a previously completed map, the map you make for this
competition must be new and fresh from your memory
3. Your map must be submitted on or before Dec 1, 2011 at 12:00 P.M. GMT -6,
those that fail will be disqualified
4. Multiple submissions ARE allowed
5. Multiple types of submissions ARE allowed

Maps:

1. All maps must have a common theme within them. (I.E. Cityscape not to have
a barn with a cornfield in the middle, but rather tall skyscrapers in it)
2. You may work with more than one person
3. Maps are to be no larger than 128x128x128, most should be 64x64x64. We feel that 128x64x64 is a good map size, but don't feel pressured if you have a different idea that will work on a different map size!
4. Do not excessively use adminium, it is quite ugly
5. REMEMBER: Stick to a Capture the Flag or King of the Hill theme! Maps must
be suited for this type of gameplay, or will be disqualified.

Judging:

Maps will be judged based on aesthetics
Maps will be judged based on gameplay
Maps will be judged based on their theme
Judges are eligible to win, but not receive prizes
Judges are chosen based on their knowledge, skills, and trust

Prizes!
1st place: custom map rotation for a week (Can use /nextmap once a reboot), 21000 points, custom entry message for a week.
2nd place: custom skins for a week (Within reason, must still display red/blue), 14000 points, custom entry message for a week.
3rd place: 7000 points, custom entry message for a week.
Top 50%: 3500 points
Bottom 50%: 2500 points.

For all maps that get accepted, if you're in the top 50% of the score and aren't 1st, 2nd or 3rd, you will get 3500 points. If your map is accepted but your overall score is in the bottom 50%, you will get 2500 points. Happy now?

As you will see when the applications go live on Friday, you have the choice as to where you make your map. Ideally, we'd like all maps to be made on ErikKruchten's Map Factory server, which is found here, however you may be allowed to build on a different server provided you discuss this with Erik and KingSam, for judging's sake.

Any issues with Erik's server should be directed to him via a PM, with KingSam attached to it, so he is able to help coordination.

Maps should not begin to be worked on until the entries are live. If you begin building before entries start, you will be disqualified from the competition.

The competition begins 11th November, and will finish on 1st December.
That gives plenty of time for quick builders to make multiple maps if they have the ideas, and if not, it should be plenty time to make a single map.

Get planning, applications to the competition will begin on Friday!
(Many thanks to ErikKruchten for his help with the setup of this competition)

Final note: Apologies for any errors, I'm tired. If there's anything that's unclear, feel free to leave it as a response to this thread and I'll get back to you as soon as I can!

erik1979

Reaction score
I would also like to add:

THE ENTRY FORM WILL NOT GO LIVE UNTIL FRIDAY AFTER THE MEETING, THOSE FOUND BUILDING BEFORE HAVING AN ENTRY WILL BE DQ'ED

Also, it is very important to us that you submit your entries with as much information as you can provide.

Upon submitting an entry, you will be Private Messaged on the Blocktopia forums and receive information regarding your confirmation of entry. The post will look like this:

User: [Username]
Server: [Erik's Map Factory] or [Server Name] (if applicable)
Map: [tntcompetition1] or [tntcompetition2] or [tntcompetition3]
Slot: [#]
Signed: [KingSam] or [Marnixxie] or [Erikkruchten] or [Razinao]

NOTE: The four names listed above are the only 4 that are authorized for slot assignment and form confirmation, if you are not receiving a PM from these users, then you are not entered in the competition.

I ALSO WANT TO MAKE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT IT TAKES TIME AND WE HAVE BUSY LIVES. ONE OF US FOUR WILL ACCEPT/DENY YOUR ENTRY WITHIN A 24hr PERIOD, SO PLEASE, GIVE US SOME TIME AND HOP OFF OUR BACKS.

Reactions: balloon98

Marnixxie

Hippo
Reaction score
Nah, just read the thread.

Prizes will be given to the three best overall maps. Currently, the prizes are planned to be 15k, 10k and 5k points on the TNT Wars server, or unless the top 3 submissions agree, then snowbombs may be given out instead of points. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

BurnyBurn

Reaction score
"You may work with more than one person"
@KingSam

Okay, lets say that I work with someone and I get second place and 10 000 points. Will the points be shared (5000 for both.) Or dealt equally? (10k for both)?

KingSam

The Head Pyromaniac
Reaction score
"You may work with more than one person"
@KingSam

Okay, lets say that I work with someone and I get second place and 10 000 points. Will the points be shared (5000 for both.) Or dealt equally? (10k for both)?
There is a 10k prize for the second place map. How it's split up if it's made by multiple people is down to you.

balloon98

The balloon that never pops
Reaction score
Nah, just read the thread.

Prizes will be given to the three best overall maps. Currently, the prizes are planned to be 15k, 10k and 5k points on the TNT Wars server, or unless the top 3 submissions agree, then snowbombs may be given out instead of points. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it.
If snowbombs we could do 15 each for 1st 10 each for 2nd and 5 each for 3rd if they chose snowbombs

erik1979

Reaction score
THE ENTRY FORM IS NOW OPEN!

REMEMBER YOU MUST BUILD YOUR MAP ON ERIK'S MAP FACTORY, UNLESS YOU HAVE PERMISSION FROM KINGSAM OR MYSELF.

Also, please note that the information I posted above will be sent to you upon confirmation of your entry into the competition.

Tuna

Reaction score
Are the TNT game modes one flag or two flag, (eg, two teams symetrical map both trying to steal eachothers flag/one team defending and one attacking eg. assymetrical map), and is king of the hill team vs team? or free for all. Thanks!

Razinao

:_;
Reaction score
They're all Team vs Team maps.

Try looking at the TNT Wars information, the wiki header at the top has links to King of the Hill and Capture the Flag so you can familiarize yourself with their designs.

KingSam

The Head Pyromaniac
Reaction score
Well well well. I've heard that people are more selfish than I assumed and don't want to do it to help out the server, but for the prizes, and the prizes "Aren't good enough".

NEW PRIZES ARE IN ORDER!

1st place: custom map rotation for a week (Can use /nextmap once a reboot), 21000 points, custom entry message for a week.
2nd place: custom skins for a week (Within reason, must still display red/blue), 14000 points, custom entry message for a week.
3rd place: 7000 points, custom entry message for a week.
Top 50%: 3500 points
Bottom 50%: 2500 points.

For all maps that get accepted, if you're in the top 50% of the score and aren't 1st, 2nd or 3rd, you will get 3500 points. If your map is accepted but your overall score is in the bottom 50%, you will get 2500 points. Happy now?

Reactions: balloon98