The HandGuide To The Rules!(v. 0.1)

Willchill

Blocktopia's Official Octopus
Reaction score
Hello All!

Lately there has been some confusion about the rules, so I have decided to create this HandBook to help you!

Rule #1 - Only referees may use hacks!
This one is rather self explanatory, only Ops+ that are /ref-ing may use hacks on third-party clients (WoM etc.).

Rule #2 - Humans must be reachable at all times!
This, too, is a bit self-explanatory. Humans (including op-humans) must be reachable without building.
If your jumpcourse has only one pathway, you cannot spleef the opposing team, because it will make you unreachable, which could lead to a warn/kick.

NOTE: Staff, be sure to be 100% sure your victim is unreachable before giving the final warn/kick. If there are any towers/structures near the victim, check those before warning. Trusteds, if it is a long distance, it would be best to call an Operator for assistance.

Rule #3 - You may only spleef the opposing team.
This means that you can only destroy the blocks under players on the opposing team.

NOTE: Destroying the block they are jumping on/to also counts as spleefing, even though it isn't spleeflocked*.

Rule #4 - Any form of pillar/tower is forbidden.
This rule means that you cannot pillar or tower. Pillaring/towering is when you jump and place blocks below you. This includes making a 2 block pillar, where a player makes stair-like pillars, which evades the automatic lag pillaring kick.
NOTE: A 1 block thick pillar needs to be at least 4 blocks high before a warn can be issued.

Rule #5 - No holes smaller than 2x2x2 are allowed!
This rule is probably the most confusing rule of all. It is shrouded in mystery and confuzzlement, and many ops say different things when you ask them to explain a legal hole.
The basics of this rule are:
Your hole must be at least 2 blocks high, long, and wide, unless it is open. Open meaning able to walk out of WITHOUT destroying any blocks.

The advanced and confusing part (kinda like physics):
Your hole CAN be 1x1x2 (1 block wide and long, 2 blocks high), ONLY if the surrounding blocks are leaves or glass.
On large maps most ops will allow a tunnel that is at least 8x1x2 (8 blocks long, 1 block wide, 2 blocks high). Some (if not most) will allow the same dimensions on a normal map, but be sure to check first!

Rule #6 - Do not abuse any flaws/glitches/bugs!
Pretty self-explanatory. If you find a bug, report it, don't abuse it.

Rule #7 - Do not use excessive language. Do not insult!
Do not excessively swear every time you get caught by a zombie. Do not insult other players.

Rule #8 - All jumps must be 2 blocks or less!
This rule can be tricky, but generally it is fine. All jumps on jumpcourses must be 2 or less blocks wide.
The advanced stuff: This is where it gets confusing. 2x1 jumps (2 blocks wide, 1 block down) count as 2.5 blocks, which is still following our rule. 3-1 jumps (3 blocks wide, 1 block down) count as 2.5 blocks, again, still following our rule. 3x0 (3 blocks wide) jumps count as 3 blocks, which is exceeding the limit, which is breaking the rules.

Rule #9 - Show good sportsmanship. Use common sense.
Basically, don't be annoying, and congratulate your enemies. Spamming falls under the latter part of this rule.

Rule #10 - Speak English in the main chat.
Another simple rule. You may only speak English in the public chat.

NOTE: There are exceptions if you are explaining to someone else in another language that they must speak English.

Rule #11 - All clients that don't use standard Minecraft physics are banned.
Pretty self explanatory there. Any client that doesn't use the standard physics is banned.

Rule #12 - All camoflauge skins are banned!
Any skin that uses direct copies of the textures of Minecraft Classic blocks are banned.

This was made in the hope that there will be less confuzzlement in the rules.

JWB101197

Reaction score
This is a great guide willchill :)

You may also want to add to rule 2 that being spleefable does not mean that you are reachable? At least that's my understanding of the rule and I've seen some confusion over it on the server.

dannyboymed

Without a title
Reaction score
While people have written things before, that's no reason to discourage anyone from writing again. What, are we worried he might fill up the server space or something? As far as I can see, some of what Will's written is better than the wiki, though aperson's is ridiculously huge, and good.

I say the wiki should have a clear, concise version of the rules, like what's there now. As simple as possible. Then a second page with a more complex indepth version, like what aperson, and to some extent, Will, wrote.

JKangaroo

Your Local, Neighborhood Marsupial
Reaction score
While people have written things before, that's no reason to discourage anyone from writing again. What, are we worried he might fill up the server space or something? As far as I can see, some of what Will's written is better than the wiki, though aperson's is ridiculously huge, and good.

I say the wiki should have a clear, concise version of the rules, like what's there now. As simple as possible. Then a second page with a more complex indepth version, like what aperson, and to some extent, Will, wrote.
The wiki's version is quite good, and gives clear examples.
In fact, both versions are both clear and concise. There are just minor tweaks and differences between the two, but they are both well at doing their respective jobs, albeit one made after many done before, which is not that bad, although a bit redundant, agreeing with what GmK stated.
  • Pictures can be just as clear, if not clearer then words if done right, which is what the Wiki provides us. The wiki gives very good examples, with captions to help fully explain the situation. Although the sentences are not as well defined or detailed as the ones in the wiki, players who read it may still be baffled / confused, but we cannot fully help that, but provide some explanations to reduce that confusion. So perhaps we can switch some of the explanations from this thread to the Wiki? Who knows.
  • This thread gives more clear-stated sentences in a better format, I admit, to the more, crudely-formatted Wiki topic. However, as I already stated, you cannot just use words to state out your topic in certain cases. Pictures, or tangible examples normally give a great deal to things like this. Again, I already stated this.
Again, both the thread and the wiki are good. However, I must say that, like Aperson'sthread, and perhaps a couple of similar threads done in the past, will eventually be hidden beneath many newer threads, and another player will create a similar thread to provide some insight on rules, most likely later down the line in the future.

I believe this thread is better as a "refresher" to us, and those, who know the rules, but we may have forgotten / been blinded from / simply confused about certain rules, and this thread lets us remember what to warn / look out for; how we can continue to gain insight to keep being a good-playerbase, and so on.

This is a good thread, though we really don't need it. Well done, but... Not entirely agreeing that it was necessary.
- JK

Also: I find this better as a thread to help staff and such with rules, although done before, and not exactly what the thread is meant for, that is just what I think it's better for.

• Agree
Reactions: dannyboymed