The Friday Runner Rotation

Chillingworth

Ex-Zombie VetOp | Ex-AoD Op
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I've been thinking recently... A lot of people have been complaining about the lack of running maps put in the recent rotations, so I invented something to alleviate this pain; The Friday Runner Rotation.

Basically, we could keep whatever rotation we're using that consists of normal maps for every day of the week except friday. On friday for about 2-3 hours around the meeting [6 PM], a special runner map rotation could come into play, seeing as we have plenty of them to throw into a mini rotation. While this rotation is on, only runner maps would be included in the after-round votes.

I chose friday for this because of the meetings; everyone's in a mostly relaxed mindset, and runners are perfect chill out material. This would satisfy those that are inclined to play only runners. Also, referees could attend meetings without having to bother to watch out for too many rulebreakers.

Who knows? This idea could be modified. Maybe, instead of having all runners for this playlist, we could throw in just a couple normal maps. The special friday rotation would still be heavily laden with runners, and here and there a normal map would appear to mix up the pace.

Just an idea. Hoping that this will catch on and maybe become reality.

Let me know what you think!

-Chill

Matt_Allen

Matterator
Reaction score
Website
heyyeyaaeyaaaeyaeyaa.com
My only concern is that I am taking this as a whole day rotation, so all of Friday, which I am against in all honesty, think about it, a whole day with what, 10-15 maps? We currently have 60 or so maps, that would be reducing the diversity by about 75% and do you really want to play the same maps, over and over and over and over again for the whole day? Personally, I wouldn't, and quite honestly I'd become sick of the running maps, they say too much of one thing isn't good, so what I am proposing is we bring in all of the runner maps into the rotation on the Fridays, if we're going to be doing this, so that we can have that extra runner aspect, but also keep the server fun and enjoyable for people of all different play-styles by keeping the other non-runner maps in rotation.

Friendy

SMP Overlord & Events Manager
Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
My only concern is that I am taking this as a whole day rotation, so all of Friday, which I am against in all honesty, think about it, a whole day with what, 10-15 maps? We currently have 60 or so maps, that would be reducing the diversity by about 75% and do you really want to play the same maps, over and over and over and over again for the whole day? Personally, I wouldn't, and quite honestly I'd become sick of the running maps, they say too much of one thing isn't good, so what I am proposing is we bring in all of the runner maps into the rotation on the Fridays, if we're going to be doing this, so that we can have that extra runner aspect, but also keep the server fun and enjoyable for people of all different play-styles by keeping the other non-runner maps in rotation.
Exactly my thoughts, I don't really wanna come on and play a map, play another map, then another, then play the beginning map again, then the same again, then another, then the same again.. (Basically saying that out of all the maps, Ones like Nobuild128 will always be voted for and therefor making that map played the most which will get boring)

Reactions: Matt_Allen

Chillingworth

Reaction score
It wouldn't have to be for the whole day, maybe just for 3-4 hours at a time, around the meeting?

Friendy

Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
if there 10/15 maps. put all of them in the current rotation on friday. then you have more chance of a runner map.
Or on friday 50% of all maps is a runner map.
Now that's more reliable.

fireball0409

Reaction score
I think it would be fun, but it would kinda get boring after a while with the same maps over and over again. An idea is you can have a regular map then a runner map then a regular map again. So it would keep the game different and still do some runner maps. This can ensure that both styles of gameplay are used.

JtTorso

Reaction score
Yup, which is why it would be around the server voting time so as much staff as possible could tune in!

;)
That's not what I meant.. at all, as I myself being a former operator, I and a few others don't (didn't) often play, and instead spend like 99.9% of the time operating, and there isn't exactly a lot of rules for people to break on runner maps, one of the reasons I have such a dislike towards general runner maps is because of that, there isn't exactly a lot to do for an Op on runner maps, especially for an operator that doesn't play a lot, even though I am no longer an Operator I still have a strong dislike towards most, if not all runner maps and not only due to this reason, I could go on a giant rant on why runner maps are bad and why I do not like them, but that's not the point, the point is I am really against a "Friday runner map" day or what ever it's called.

Chillingworth

Reaction score
That's not what I meant.. at all, as I myself being a former operator, I and a few others don't (didn't) often play, and instead spend like 99.9% of the time operating, and there isn't exactly a lot of rules for people to break on runner maps, one of the reasons I have such a dislike towards general runner maps is because of that, there isn't exactly a lot to do for an Op on runner maps, especially for an operator that doesn't play a lot, even though I am no longer an Operator I still have a strong dislike towards most, if not all runner maps and not only due to this reason, I could go on a giant rant on why runner maps are bad and why I do not like them, but that's not the point, the point is I am really against a "Friday runner map" day or what ever it's called.
To my knowledge, most staff don't referee around the meeting time anyways.. Plus, what would 3 hours hurt anyone? ;)

Friendy

Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
Then that means Ops can play instead of reffing.. .-.

Friendy

Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
This is what I meant, it could give ops a break :roflmao:
Exactly. @JtTorso .. No offence, But why are you complaining about it being boring for ops, When reffing could be just as boring as Playing? I'm pretty sure the ops would rather play a Runner map then spectate it with no rule breakers..

JtTorso

Reaction score
Wow, awesome, thanks for completely ignoring my point, so I'll address it once again, maybe I just worded it poorly, but what ever, anyway.

Not every Op likes to play, I myself can account for that, just like I said, and I know other Ops don't like to play either, at least not all of the time, some ops would much rather actually Operate then play, Ops do have their own opinions, just like everyone else, and not all ops or players like runner maps, some people probably hate them more then I do, but I kind of doubt that, one of the reasons I never played was because we always had runner map after runner map, for me when I was Op runner maps were boring because I couldn't Operate on them and I didn't like playing.

Friendy

Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
Wow, awesome, thanks for completely ignoring my point, so I'll address it once again, maybe I just worded it poorly, but what ever, anyway.

Not every Op likes to play, I myself can account for that, just like I said, and I know other Ops don't like to play either, at least not all of the time, some ops would much rather actually Operate then play, Ops do have their own opinions, just like everyone else, and not all ops or players like runner maps, some people probably hate them more then I do, but I kind of doubt that, one of the reasons I never played was because we always had runner map after runner map, for me when I was Op runner maps were boring because I couldn't Operate on them and I didn't like playing.
Sorry if my post sounded a little harsh, But from what I said "Reffing could be as boring as playing" Is just an Opinion of mine, I know some Ops like to ref more than Play as they can spectate the match more and find out everyones dirty little secrets ;D (LOL By that I mean hiding spots!)

I agree that runner maps can get a bit boring, Thus the reason why you DERP DEM UP.

ethical1337

Don't choose the easy path just because its easy
Reaction score
If then entire day were to become runner maps I see another problem would be that those players that can only play on the weekend come on and only get runner maps. However with only some runner maps and a bit of variation it might be fine.

I am also one of those operators who enjoy reffing rather than playing. I still enjoy playing and I love getting a good chase going. Though in my opinion a good runner can do a good run anywhere and not just on a runner map.