The EscapeRestart Administrative Team... and the staff in general

Willchill

Blocktopia's Official Octopus
Reaction score
Alrighty. I'm sorry to be creating another one of 'those' threads where we rant about EscapeRestart and how much better it was in previous years. However, I do believe this to be a pivotal matter regarding to the community and its current state of decline.

To put it bluntly, I do not believe EscapeRestart's Administrative Team are performing at a level required in their position within the community. In fact, at the time of writing this, I can't find their latest activity where they contributed as an admin should.

Now, it is important for us to consider the roles and responsibilities of admins. I will discuss those later in this post.

Admins are, in the end, the people who have control of the entire community. What has become more important recently is their responsibility to control what servers are removed or added.

Recently I bumped a thread in the staff-only forum that had been inactive for a month after Ogarci had called for a vote on several community matters.
Oh I was trying to tag the blue ones. oops.

I agree, I think it should be staff only considering it's our volunteered time that it's affecting.

Just tossing possible questions:

Should we shut down the MC servers? Y/N
Should we have event servers in place of MC servers? Y/N
Which servers should continue? Check all that apply, both MC and non.
Should future servers be permanent or temporary? Select one.

More than open for suggestions.
Any follow up on this? A tad disappointing to see nothing from the staff mentioned. There were plenty of good ideas and discussions in this thread, but we are yet to see any 'official' response.
This post only received one response from Elandrir. Why didn't more staff respond? That is a part of their duty - showing interest in improving the community as a whole.

To put it simply, what have the head staff done in the past few weeks and even months? We have hardly heard or seen any action from them whatsoever, even when we have brilliant ideas coming from those who actually want to see the community survive. Perhaps it is a lack of motivation or passion on their part, but in their position I believe it is one of their responsibilities to resign if they do not wish to support the community any more. At this point in time we have enough ideas to improve, but the administrative team are not supporting or implementing those ideas. We cannot progress as a community if we continue like this.

Now, onto possible solutions.
Evaluate the current admins. This can come in a few forms, but most importantly the admins themselves need to consider their position. Are they passionate or motivated enough to really fulfill their role within the community? Do they really want to put in all the effort required to start this back up?

Elect new admins. Anyone who has shown in the past few months that they are truly passionate enough and willing to take on the role of an administrator should be considered for election. These should be held as community votes because ESCAPERESTART SHOULD BE COMMUNITY-BASED. Anybody's ideas should be considered and we should stop segregating staff and players! When or if new staff are elected I would encourage them to remove the staff-only subforum.

Consider alternatives to the current way we operate. Regular (I suggest monthly) polls where community members can suggest and vote on features or changes to make to the community. Here's how they would work:

1. User has an idea.
  2. They post their idea on the suggestions forum.
  3. The poll master creates a poll of all suggestions of the month in a post with links to the threads containing the suggestions.
  4. Members of the community vote for the feature they would most like to be implemented next.
  5. The suggestion with the most votes gets implemented and the next 3 or 4 runners up get a second chance next month, as to not skip any great suggestions.
Ideally suggestions such as "add a new server" or "remove an old server" would not be decided through these polls as they are best for minor alterations to servers and forums.

TL;DR:
- Re-evaluate responsibilities / duties of head staff. What should they be doing?
- Compare current head staff. Are they meeting these requirements?
- Resolve the issue. Current admins resign? Improve activity? Re-elect new admins? Consider alternative ways of managing the community?
-Monthly polls where users can suggest and vote on major or minor changes to the community

I am almost calling for another community overhaul, but this time of the administration team and staffing as a whole. I believe things here should be more community-run.

DISCUSS!!

Yes, this thread suggests that certain things from communism would do this community a world of good.

Vatowski

Reaction score
I do not agree with the candidate paceboys, I feel that he would enforce new rules and try to make use a community based on dank memes.
Not only that but he would try to get us all to play Splatoon and all I have to say to that is

I must partially disagree with this post because I sincerely think that paceboys will lead this community to a better place.

But I certainly agree with one point: Fuck Splatoon

Enderfive

sarcasm incarnate
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Yes, this thread suggests that certain things from communism would do this community a world of good.
boo
pacebois will surely lead us away from the red path of indecency and anti-liberty that is communism, vote pacebois

Shitposting aside, why not? I myself don't have the motivation to actually drive some bigger changes or be a strong supportive force behind them, I'm mostly interested in the roleplaying forum and not much else, but there are people who do, as this thread and many others before it quite clearly demonstrate. If these people get into a position where they can do more for the community and manage to keep their motivation, I don't see why we shouldn't give it a shot. Then maybe my own motivation returns as well, and that of many others that may feel the same way as I do. Many Directors seem to be resigning, citing lack of passion and whatnot. Admins seem to suffer from the same problem considering the lack of anything mayor being done about the continued decline of the community after the reboot (or at least, that's the impression I'm getting. Who knows, maybe they're actually working behind the scenes all the time - but then we'd all probably like to see some progress, at least some sign that things are still being worked on), and I can understand them, but if that is the case, maybe it really is a time for a new Admin team, one that still has the passion and motivation to do stuff.

Honestly, I haven't really been keeping up with the developments as closely as others probably have, but I can't really remember anything major after the reboot and I'm relying on others to notice things here - and they haven't, so maybe there really hasn't been much done. And since the community is still declining (again, somewhat relying on the accounts of others here tbh, but considering forum activity, I can say that this is at least somewhat true), maybe there should be something that we should do. Even if it is just shutting down all the gameservers and trying to remake ourselves into a Steam/TS/Forum community, something should be done.

Choclate_god

Geezuslike
Donor
Reaction score
I must partially disagree with this post because I sincerely think that paceboys will lead this community to a better place.

But I certainly agree with one point: Fuck Splatoon
I MAST disagree paceboys will bring a new era of dank memes down on us. We MAST think of the children in this situation. To counter these dank memes I suggest Ellen Pao as our new admin, she will being justice and equality to all in the name of feminism.

paceboys

Reaction score
╰༼ •̀۝•́ ༽╯ ALRIGHT PLEBS LISTEN UP ╰༼ •̀۝•́ ༽╯ AS YOUR NEW ლ( ¤ 益 ¤ )┐ COMMUNITY OWNER ლ( ¤ 益 ¤ )┐IM GOING TO LAY DOWN A LIST OF RULES

RULE 1) ONLY GOOD MEMES WILL BE ALLOWED

RULE 2) ONLY ┌༼▀̿ Ĺ̯▀̿༽┐ EPIC ┌༼▀̿ Ĺ̯▀̿༽┐MEMERS ARE ALLOWED

RULE 3) NO ONE WILL EVER MENTION SPLATOON BECAUSE ºل͜º༼ ºل͜º༼ ºل͜º༼ ºل͜º ༽ºل͜º ༽ºل͜º ༽ NO ONE CARES ABOUT SPLATOON ༼ ºل͜º༼ ºل͜º༼ ºل͜º༼ ºل͜º ༽ºل͜º ༽ºل͜º ༽ºل͜º

Feel free to ask any questions.

Last edited:

CloudBryan9

Your Local Time Traveler
Reaction score
All those off topic posts above show why public votes on Administration would be a bad idea. The quality of the community would plummet and I don't think the community is ready for this. Yes we have mature users, but very few are mature enough to handle effectively the role of Admin.

And over my dead body, Pace will NOT be an Admin.

Jayfeather

Gay Magician
Donor
Reaction score
All those off topic posts above show why public votes on Administration would be a bad idea. The quality of the community would plummet and I don't think the community is ready for this. Yes we have mature users, but very few are mature enough to handle effectively the role of Admin.

And over my dead body, Pace will NOT be an Admin.
Probably no one is ready to be an admin except for current HCs or Controllers (or ones retaining their rank but resigned) and this thread is more a statement vying for attention rather than actually asking for change. Not all of the threads like this one turn out to be like this, but it's clear that this one was created to fuel a superiority complex. A proper discussion would include the whole community and not just the lower staff. No one is a hero here

edit: for clarity, half agreeing half disagreeing here

Fragile

Not Former Staff
Reaction score
Website
www.clubpenguin.com
To put it simply, what have the head staff done in the past few weeks and even months? We have hardly heard or seen any action from them whatsoever, even when we have brilliant ideas coming from those who actually want to see the community survive. Perhaps it is a lack of motivation or passion on their part, but in their position I believe it is one of their responsibilities to resign if they do not wish to support the community any more. At this point in time we have enough ideas to improve, but the administrative team are not supporting or implementing those ideas. We cannot progress as a community if we continue like this.
Evaluate the current admins. This can come in a few forms, but most importantly the admins themselves need to consider their position. Are they passionate or motivated enough to really fulfill their role within the community? Do they really want to put in all the effort required to start this back up?
ESCAPERESTART SHOULD BE COMMUNITY-BASED. Anybody's ideas should be considered and we should stop segregating staff and players! When or if new staff are elected I would encourage them to remove the staff-only subforum.
I strongly agree with the first two blurbs, but I'm going to halt you at the end of the last one. There are many discussions in the staff-only forum that are intended to be staff-only, and some that really are only there so staff only could post. Things like plans for future servers ( I dont know if any other servers had threads for that, but I'm sure they did). Should remain staff-only, as some things are nice to come as a surprise ;). There are also some threads that really don't pertain to players at all, but do to staff, and I think those should stay hidden. As per everything else, let the world see.
Probably no one is ready to be an admin except for current HCs or Controllers (or ones retaining their rank but resigned) and this thread is more a statement vying for attention rather than actually asking for change. Not all of the threads like this one turn out to be like this, but it's clear that this one was created to fuel a superiority complex. A proper discussion would include the whole community and not just the lower staff. No one is a hero here
While that may be true, it's hard to have a discussion with HRs in it, when only 2 Directors and 1 Controller have seen the thread so far, which is fine enough, I suppose.

Reactions: SirComputer