[Suggestion] Super Pillar Size Limit

Amorix

Reaction score
You know, those excessively tall pillars with little ledges on them that apparently make them better than normal pillars?
My suggestion is to cap the size of those. I understand where the help the survivors on maps with little natural cover, but the huge ones some people like to build are just ridiculous. They're a pain to climb and they basically make the survivor in question invincible as long as the keep blasting arrows on all sides. I'm not sure what cap would be appropriate, but I do think they need to be capped.

Olix

Reaction score
If a map has easy building supplies (like a supply of wood) the map maker can already enforce this. I believe the value within the input file is called "heightlimit". Any person above the y-level specified will receive a chat warning, and it will light them on fire if they don't move.
This essentially limits pillar size, and if you don't want anyone to build up then you can just make limit a few blocks taller than the biggest structure on your map.

• Agree
Reactions: Infected_alien8_

Infected_alien8_

Garry's Mod Admin
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Basically what olix said; the map maker can disable this.
Also, in my opinion, I like the large pillars. Someone else brought this up recently as well, but if someone does do this, they must have put a lot of effort into getting all of the blocks to build it. It is a huge sacrifice, and so people who do these methods often have to go without food or better armour/weaponry, so are weak in other ways. Also, it's quite rare to see these pillars in my opinion, but sorry if you see them a lot, I understand that could get annoying!
But again, like said before the map makers can sort this out, and if everyone wants this then I will gladly edit the input files for the maps ;)
Thanks for the opinion, though! :D

Reactions: Amorix

Amorix

Reaction score
Basically what olix said; the map maker can disable this.
Also, in my opinion, I like the large pillars. Someone else brought this up recently as well, but if someone does do this, they must have put a lot of effort into getting all of the blocks to build it. It is a huge sacrifice, and so people who do these methods often have to go without food or better armour/weaponry, so are weak in other ways. Also, it's quite rare to see these pillars in my opinion, but sorry if you see them a lot, I understand that could get annoying!
But again, like said before the map makers can sort this out, and if everyone wants this then I will gladly edit the input files for the maps ;)
Thanks for the opinion, though! :D
...Someone who made their point on the internet calmly...
...Can I... hug you?
EDIT: No, I'm dead serious. I wanna hug you right now.

• Haha
Reactions: Infected_alien8_

nitasu987

Reaction score
On Guin's Academy map is the only time I see this, and frankly, I enjoy it. It's tough to get up, and plus, easy for survivors to derp it up and make it harder for everyone. Also, take into account Bows, and depending where one gets shot, you could find yourself getting shot off. Of course, you could also just hide in a tree :giggle:

Amorix

Reaction score
I'm not saying "These need to be made outright illegal." I understand that much, but I think the extent it can reach sometimes is serious overkill.
I saw a tower once that made contact with the surface and reached the fucking cloud layer.
Seriously, it put the tallest building in the actual map to absolute shame.

Danni122112

The Drunk
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
I'll just leave this here. It's insane. c: These aren't rare for me, I see these too often.
Its one of the many strategies to survive in AoD, if you are first hunter, get em before they get too high.

Theese towers were much more common before, on maps like forestFrenzy there were not rare to see 3 of theese towers in one round. However, on many of the maps that Guin have made he have made sure to set a high restriction.

• Agree
Reactions: Olix

Mccuish

The Canadian Nightmare
Contributor
Reaction score
These are a pain in the ass to climb and the people up there are invincible cause they can keep shooting arrows at the hunters knocking them down

MustabearXD

Reaction score
I am in a neutral opinion, I personally love towers as they are a great way to survive and it takes strategy and wits to reach the top. However towers are annoying if they are used excessively, and by that I mean making towers every single round to the point where towers turn obnoxious. Which is why I use towers on a short basis.

DKnucklehead

Geezuslike
Donor
Reaction score
On some maps maps, towers are quite fun for me and some others, both as a hunter and survivor. But other times, when resources such as arrows and enchanted weapons are available in great supply to the survivors, that is when the challenge turns into a one-way slaughter-fest.

I think there are several ways to counteract this, with most of mine placed on the discretion of the map-maker. As has been said before, height limits can be imposed and building material can be limited. Another way is to provide hunters(and humans) with more well rounded kits. I always appreciate the kits which provide both melee and ranged weapons. Every person has a different style of play, and I don't feel hunters should feel limited as to how they approach the tower, unless this limited choice is ultimately beneficial to the map's playstyle. Other things which would be good to see in hunter kits would be more blocks/ladders/enderpearls that could further increase a hunter's options.

(I'll edit if I conjure more ideas)

Reactions: JKangaroo

Chillingworth

Ex-Zombie VetOp | Ex-AoD Op
Reaction score
I personally am not against the large pillars, especially since they usually occur on maps in which humans struggle to survive normally. It doesn't feel 'broken' to me, as ender pearls exist and towers require/encourage teamwork from the hunters to climb them in a strategic manner (placing barricades to block arrows, etc.), which rarely happens anways.

I dunno. I just feel like it's not a big issue and I could survive with or without them.

• Agree
Reactions: Danni122112

Oak Milk

Kill Hungry Thirsty Dead
Mafia Host
Reaction score
Towers are gonna be part n parcel with the game, some people are gonna make, others aren't, but there are ways and means around them you just need to work it out :)

S_swimmer

The Speedo
Reaction score
Personally, I hate towers. I have screenie'd multiple people saying they hate it actually and saying that it makes AoD "not fun anymore." I might post them on this thread later... But yea. At least limit the size to these super towers, because although it is a way to survive, it just isn't fair.