Suggestion: Spectate

Friendy

SMP Overlord & Events Manager
Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
Name: Spectate
Description: A player would join the server and with the coding in of /follow that player can switch through the players, But when they talk It'll talk through a "Lobby" where only Spectating players can talk, When the round ends all players that are spectating are added (If server is full nobody can join like normal)

A player In-game said "I wish you could spectate" Or something like that so It gave me an Idea.

Another is that there could be a cool "Tutorial" In-game showing 2x1s, 1x1s, Illegal jumps, Etc and have a "Main" room that would have a Portal that'd put you Into spectator mode until the round as finished.

The "Tutorial" one isn't exactly a needed but I think It'd be a cool addition to the server.
And.. before someone replies with "Oh It's too much work to build a Main room", Well you wouldn't have just 1 person building it.

This is just a rough throw-together suggestion so don't expect anything from it cautios

Summer10

Reaction score
Scenario for spectating :
"player comes to server and finds the spectate option, he uses it to see where people are, he then logs back in and kills them"
The idea of the tutorial isn't new I remember someone posting that same suggestion before and I even thought about it about... 2 months ago roughly...

just a few things off the top of my head

Pokemon365

Reaction score
I love this idea, and i was thinking about it yesterday (weird).
But i think that 1 part of my idea could add to yours, and its that there should be a limit to the amount of people that could spectate, maybe 5.

Edit: Also with what summer said that is a problem, and could lead to secret stalkers and secrets could be ruined

CloudBryan9

Your Local Time Traveler
Reaction score
I know that both were suggested before, and they were given a no. I'm not 100% certain if these were the exact reasons. The idea for zombies to have a lobby like tnt, the problem would be that it would cause too much lag/stress on the server. The spectator idea was given the no due to the fact that zombies is almost always full, and spectators would just take valuable space from those who want to play.

Gamefan__15

rotarepO eibmoZ-xE
Reaction score
Exactly. Spectator mode = less space for people who actually want to play the game. It's a nice idea, but unless the server cap is raised (which has already been suggested and denied) it seems to me like it would just take away space for people who want to play zombie survival (after all this is a zombie survival server :3), as the server is full quite often.

ethical1337

Don't choose the easy path just because its easy
Reaction score
Exactly. Spectator mode = less space for people who actually want to play the game. It's a nice idea, but unless the server cap is raised (which has already been suggested and denied) it seems to me like it would just take away space for people who want to play zombie survival (after all this is a zombie survival server :3), as the server is full quite often.
This is true but raising the player cap to allow people to spectate wouldn't be feasible either since we would want those extra spots to be players.
However one way I could see it work is that people who join start off in a spectator mode and don't become players until the next round. That would be the only way I can see it working out.
A downside being that people would want to just jump into playing like they do now.

Summer10

Reaction score
This is true but raising the player cap to allow people to spectate wouldn't be feasible either since we would want those extra spots to be players.
However one way I could see it work is that people who join start off in a spectator mode and don't become players until the next round. That would be the only way I can see it working out.
A downside being that people would want to just jump into playing like they do now.
That would be annoying though say for example you log in to your favorite map and you have to sit it out or even if you don't like the map you would log in and have to wait instead of just playing like most players would rather do.

Damer_Flinn

Resident Asha'man
Reaction score
Debate if you like but as far as I'm concerned it's not going to happen. Adding spectators will force us to pick between a couple of bad situations. Either we could raise the player cap to accommodate them thereby increasing the lag in the server. Or we could have spectators take the normal player slots thereby reducing the amount of people who can actually play the game. Not to mention the fact that any extra maps that would need to be left open would cause an unnecessary stress during map changes. The solution is simple, if you want to sit a game out and still watch then just go hug the zombie at the start.

LetterP

The 16th
Reaction score
In my opinion it would be a waste of player spots. There are players who want to play, but their spots would be taken by people spectating. Raising the player cap isn't a good idea, because as mentioned before it would lag the server more and making the server lag more just so players can spectate wouldn't be worth it. Some players already complain about lag now.

Friendy

Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
Debate if you like but as far as I'm concerned it's not going to happen. Adding spectators will force us to pick between a couple of bad situations. Either we could raise the player cap to accommodate them thereby increasing the lag in the server. Or we could have spectators take the normal player slots thereby reducing the amount of people who can actually play the game. Not to mention the fact that any extra maps that would need to be left open would cause an unnecessary stress during map changes. The solution is simple, if you want to sit a game out and still watch then just go hug the zombie at the start.
Ok, Everyone has Misunderstood what I said, There will be no "extra" spaces, Anyone that joins after the round has started as long as there IS SPACES in the server then they can join as spectator, That means if there is 35/35 then NOBODY can join! When next round starts all players that were spectating will be added to that round, which means there will be 0 spectators and if the server is 35/35 when there was spectators, there will still be 35/35 players.

I hope that clears some things up, And yes I agree that there is down sides like stalkers who'd just re-join.. But maybe it could just be a "Lobby" where players can't spectate but are still "Spectators" they have their own Lobby to walk around and talk in, when the next round starts It'd put them in the game.

In my opinion it would be a waste of player spots. There are players who want to play, but their spots would be taken by people spectating. Raising the player cap isn't a good idea, because as mentioned before it would lag the server more and making the server lag more just so players can spectate wouldn't be worth it. Some players already complain about lag now.
Most of the players that complain about Lag are players that have Lag on their own connection and is nothing to do with the seerver, Or has FPS lag. It's hardly ever to do with the server so I doubt this.
As I said above, It wouldn't be to raise the player cap.

Well, What about as soon as a player that leaves the game while they are playing, A player that is spectating can join?

That would be annoying though say for example you log in to your favorite map and you have to sit it out or even if you don't like the map you would log in and have to wait instead of just playing like most players would rather do.
Like I said above, It could be that players don't actually use the /follow and instead are just waiting in a Lobby with others waiting for round to end, That way it wouldn't be boring.

Summer10

Reaction score
Ok, Everyone has Misunderstood what I said, There will be no "extra" spaces, Anyone that joins after the round has started as long as there IS SPACES in the server then they can join as spectator, That means if there is 35/35 then NOBODY can join! When next round starts all players that were spectating will be added to that round, which means there will be 0 spectators and if the server is 35/35 when there was spectators, there will still be 35/35 players.

I hope that clears some things up, And yes I agree that there is down sides like stalkers who'd just re-join.. But maybe it could just be a "Lobby" where players can't spectate but are still "Spectators" they have their own Lobby to walk around and talk in, when the next round starts It'd put them in the game.

Most of the players that complain about Lag are players that have Lag on their own connection and is nothing to do with the seerver, Or has FPS lag. It's hardly ever to do with the server so I doubt this.
As I said above, It wouldn't be to raise the player cap.

Well, What about as soon as a player that leaves the game while they are playing, A player that is spectating can join?

Like I said above, It could be that players don't actually use the /follow and instead are just waiting in a Lobby with others waiting for round to end, That way it wouldn't be boring.
colored coded:

That seems like it would be too confusing though(I don't understand it)
from what i can see is that it would still lower the amount of space for players who actually want to play to play.

Ok like damer said it would still leave a map open on the server which would stress it (which is NEVER good).
Also, like he said why would you need a new map to "spectate" which would only be afking or talking which isn't needed as if you need to those you can just die or hide.

There is server side lag and client side lag both of which are bad, what we can do is make sure the server isn't lagging so badly that it's unplayable.

That doesn't make much sense as a person from within the server would have to activate the cmd (to the best of my knowledge).

It would still involve keeping a useless map open 24/7 which would stress the server and they wouldn't even be spectating

Ok thats what I have to say.

Friendy

Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
colored coded:

That seems like it would be too confusing though(I don't understand it)
from what i can see is that it would still lower the amount of space for players who actually want to play to play.

Ok like damer said it would still leave a map open on the server which would stress it (which is NEVER good).
Also, like he said why would you need a new map to "spectate" which would only be afking or talking which isn't needed as if you need to those you can just die or hide.

There is server side lag and client side lag both of which are bad, what we can do is make sure the server isn't lagging so badly that it's unplayable.

That doesn't make much sense as a person from within the server would have to activate the cmd (to the best of my knowledge).

It would still involve keeping a useless map open 24/7 which would stress the server and they wouldn't even be spectating

Ok thats what I have to say.
Lol. How would there be less space? It's simple to understand. It'll still be 35 max player limit, but as soon as the round ends ALL spectators are put into the game, and there will be NO-ONE spectating, How is that confusing?

"That doesn't make much sense as a person from within the server would have to activate the cmd (to the best of my knowledge)."

No-one would have to activate a command, It'll be coded in, If we got @LISTINGS09 here he'd tell us all what's possible and what isn't.

Summer10

Reaction score
Lol. How would there be less space? It's simple to understand. It'll still be 35 max player limit, but as soon as the round ends ALL spectators are put into the game, and there will be NO-ONE spectating, How is that confusing?
It might be simple to you because you thought of it
anyways..
You didn't say if they log in they would be spectating or if they have to type a command.
Also it would be a 35 player cap but less people would be able to play because of the people "spectating"

Problems with log-in spectating:
When they log in they are forced to spectate which isn't very fair and takes away their right to choose.
When people get kicked, disconnect, or log in w/ same name they would be forced to spectate and they numbers of players playing would dwindle to nearly unplayable levels.

Problems with command:
Abuse in logging out then logging in to cheat

Problems with lobby map idea:
Another map open on the server which will create stress
The map would be useless as they can just afk or hide or die

that's what i understand

CloudBryan9

Your Local Time Traveler
Reaction score
Here are the "official reasons".

Declined

[Declined] A lobby (Like in TNT)
  • Not possible to do with the current server mechanics. The game just doens't support non-playing levels

[Declined] Another server or more slots in the server
  • Not enough staff, consumes to many resources, etc.

[Declined] An ability to spectate the match
  • Zombie is always full, and this would just waste a spot on the server

*Note, I did shorten the declined list to remove irrelevant information.

Reactions: Summer10 and Jowe