Suggestion: Descriptive rules

Friendy

SMP Overlord & Events Manager
Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
Ok, So you know how people will read /rules, But they'd still be "Unreachable" due to the fact that it doesn't actually say what Unreachable is, Or what Pillaring is for a matter of fact..

So what I was thinking just now is that you could type /Rules #2 and It'd give a small, Yet discriptive "Lesson" on what Being unreachable is and how to be reachable.
For example, A new user would type /rules and at the bottom It would say "Type /rules #NUMBER to learn what it means", They would type /rules #2 and It would tell them what it means, etc.

Discuss.

D0mac

Sneaky Beaver Purple guy= SBP guy
Reaction score
this is a good idea. but to be honest if players dont have the experience to know what the majority of those rules mean then they wont know what cmds are and just telling thme would be easier.

Awwwyea

Ghast Hunter
Reaction score
I find this idea very... useful. Some don't understand that typing takes longer than talking, and they'll ask repeatedly while we sit there appending our message. I support this idea, I think it could come in handy.

Friendy

Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
this is a good idea. but to be honest if players dont have the experience to know what the majority of those rules mean then they wont know what cmds are and just telling thme would be easier.
Well not really, You get children under the ages of 10 playing who end up getting kicked or something, come back and annoy the Ops to the extent that they end up getting banned.

A player who is new, Will understand that you're not allowed to Hack, And not allowed to swear at staff etc.. But they might not know that using WoM is a hack.. Which is why if they did /Rules #1 they'd be shown that You can use WoM, as long as they do /client hacks off and re-joined.

It may ruin chances for people to get Trusted because everything that isn't explained in the rules is what Guests explain to help out - But then they can still explain, Or refer them to /rules #7 for example.

JtTorso

Reaction score
The rules (for the most part) are extremely self explanatory, the only rules I remember being asked (oh wait, no one asks me anything) was sometimes about rule 5, the rules aren't vague with the exception of the WoM rule (and a few other cherry pickers), it takes anyone with a mild understanding of basic English to pick up the rules, I don't think dumbing it down for people who just don't care to follow them is a very good idea, and there are rules with very broad uses so Ops can basically cherry pick when people are wrong doing (that may have been worded badly) but it gives them the opportunity to decide on when people spamming/ swearing too fucking much/ not being good ol' chaps and shaking the zombies hand when he infects you/ other, and often when people have "a bad understanding of the rules" it's just often a ruse to get around the watchful eye of the Operator.

Friendy

Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
The rules (for the most part) are extremely self explanatory, the only rules I remember being asked (oh wait, no one asks me anything) was sometimes about rule 5, the rules aren't vague with the exception of the WoM rule (and a few other cherry pickers), it takes anyone with a mild understanding of basic English to pick up the rules, I don't think dumbing it down for people who just don't care to follow them is a very good idea, and there are rules with very broad uses so Ops can basically cherry pick when people are wrong doing (that may have been worded badly) but it gives them the opportunity to decide on when people spamming/ swearing too fucking much/ not being good ol' chaps and shaking the zombies hand when he infects you/ other, and often when people have "a bad understanding of the rules" it's just often a ruse to get around the watchful eye of the Operator.
Ok, Please explain that too a 10 year old, And what do you mean by "(oh wait, no one asks me anything)".. You resigned and I haven't seen you on for ages - You seem a little pissed off in this most, Lol.

Nillbugwtw

Zombier than thou.
Community Admin
Donor
Reaction score
We have the rules more indepth on the wiki. Ingame, I feel that the rules are pretty easily understandable, and we also have $ variables that explain what pillaring is, etc. If new players have any questions, they can(and should) ask; failure on their part to comprehend the rules can be fixed by a simple "Hey, Mr Op, what does rule...." If they don't, and, in an extreme case, were to get banned, I feel it's their fault for not attempting to clarify something they were confused about. But that's just me.

JtTorso

Reaction score
Ok, Please explain that too a 10 year old, And what do you mean by "(oh wait, no one asks me anything)".. You resigned and I haven't seen you on for ages - You seem a little pissed off in this most, Lol.
Speaking from past experiences, and I'm pretty sure a 10 year old can read just fine.

Jowe

Giver of Pancakes
Reaction score
There is a difference between being angry and talking with authority, both sound harsh, but one comes out of spite, while the other comes from experience and knowledge. JT has the experience and the knowledge. You don't loose it just because you resigned.

DarthLego5679

That n00b.
Reaction score
Website
store.steampowered.com
Yeah, like you were a former Op, and knew enough to keep that position. Mostly, all you've been is obnoxious if someone disagrees with one of your ideas. Since he was an Op and you weren't, I'd listen more to his take on something. So please don't go there. Also, what Jowe said^. You don't lose experience and knowledge by resigning.
...I don't think dumbing it down for people who just don't care to follow them is a very good idea, and there are rules with very broad uses so Ops can basically cherry pick when people are wrong doing (that may have been worded badly) but it gives them the opportunity to decide on when people spamming/ swearing too fucking much/ not being good ol' chaps and shaking the zombies hand when he infects you/ other, and often when people have "a bad understanding of the rules" it's just often a ruse to get around the watchful eye of the Operator.
Jt means, instead of cherry picking, he means it's up to the Operator's discretion. Some may warn before something that's usually an automatic kick, like weapon pillaring in TNT.

Awwwyea

Ghast Hunter
Reaction score
Well, there are these little... 'strands' coming off from the rules. Like in rule 2, you're not allowed to spleef a zombie if it makes you unreachable. The rule itself doesn't explain that in depth, and not many would understand it if there's another rule stating you can't spleef your team, but you can spleef zombies.

The same thing with rule 5, most would think it'd just have to be a hole that's 8 blocks big, instead of it indefinitely having to be 2x2x2 exactly. These are probably the 'cherry-pickers' that Torso had said.

@AngelWV , You sound like you're assuming that every guest who comes on the server is 10 years old, with the exception of retired operators. :/

@Nillbug, I had said this once before, but I'll say it again, I think it'd come in handy for things.

"You aren't lazy enough to not read the rules if you bother breaking them."

Damer_Flinn

Resident Asha'man
Reaction score
A player who is new, Will understand that you're not allowed to Hack, And not allowed to swear at staff etc.. But they might not know that using WoM is a hack.. Which is why if they did /Rules #1 they'd be shown that You can use WoM, as long as they do /client hacks off and re-joined.
Each time an Op spots a person on WoM they freeze them and send them a variable that displays this:

The WoM client is currently banned from this server. It has a flaw that lets you speed even when hacks are turned off.

After which they tell the player to type "/client hacks off" and rejoin the server. If the player rejoins on WoM or has questions about what exactly they're supposed to do they already have the full attention of the Op. My concern with adding more shortcuts (even though I too get tired of saying the same thing over and over) is that people will type a couple quick things and brush off the situation. Ignoring further questions or telling the person the same thing as before without actually answering the question.

Edit-

Here are the current rules. See if you can reword them in a way that would be less vague. I have already changed rule 7 because of someone who tried to use a loophole in it. Remember that each rule shouldn't take up more than 1 line on the client because as it is the top rules can move off the screen quickly.

1. Only referees may use hacks
2. Humans must be reachable w/o building and at all times
3. Do not spleef/push your own team
4. ANY form of PILLAR/TOWER is forbidden!
5. No holes smaller than 2x2x2 are allowed
6. Do not abuse any flaws, glitches, or bugs
7. Do not use excessive language. Do not insult.
8. All jumps must be 2 spaces apart or less
9. Show good sportsmanship, and use common sense
10. Speak English in public chat
11. All clients except Minecraft.net are banned
12. All camouflage skins are banned

Friendy

Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
@AngelWV , You sound like you're assuming that every guest who comes on the server is 10 years old, with the exception of retired operators. :/
I mean, People who are under 10 and play wont understand because of their age etc, Unless they are playing games like Minecraft 24/7 and have the Knowledge of a teen then.. :s

@Damer_Flinn - I understand what you mean, As it is just a suggestion afterall, I type /rules sometimes and they just go off the screen in a second or 2..

Maybe (If it's possible) LISTINGS could add in some kind of Guest+ command that would allow them to mute all players - Client sided meaning that they only see the /Rules, /whois, /me, And server commands and Op+ Chat.
Meh, It might be a bit hard to code and it isn't Urgent or completely necessary.

Awwwyea

Ghast Hunter
Reaction score
You don't need to play Minecraft 24/7 to know the rules, nor does playing minecraft in any way deem you as smart as a teenager. We gotta remember this is just a game, the kids you're referring to should know what the word 'rules' means. If they don't, it's where the staff cross a line at the level of common sense

Imo, I think the human race is becoming more and more dependent on technology. Kids having their games, I can see why you had said they would play '24/7'

If we could possibly get an average age of the 11/12 mil people who play this game, coming to a conclusion would be much easier. I remember once someone had said the average age of the Blocktopian was 15/16 back when I was just a zombie trusted.

Gasy_Europeon

SURVIIIIVVVVVVOOOOOOORRRRRR
Reaction score
This can be a little handy,as some people ask,"waht is pillaring???"or"waht is spleefing?"But not all the guests that join are 10 year olds,heck i first joined the server when i was still 10,read the /rules and understood them perfectly,and if 10 year olds come on the server,they aren't that dumb to understand them.