[Suggestion] Blocktopia Mobile Application

Status
Not open for further replies.

superstein

Ex-Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
What I propose today, is having a mobile application for iPhones (and possibly on the Android OS too).

What will this do? Why the heck would a moderate-sized Minecraft community need an app?
For one main reason, and a few others, actually.

The main reason being, Donations: Setting up a donation system through in-app purchases is HUGE. It makes donating to the community easy and accessible for everyone who feels like they want to, but do not have the ability/permission to set up a PayPal account or does not have a credit card. This can make the community donation count SKYROCKET. I'm fairly sure it can be worked out, and the money can be confirmed through a PM in which says the amount you donated, perhaps the account to verify and the note you want included if any. This will provide the community the money it needs to not only stay afloat but expand.

This application could also show the server status, who's on the servers, the Twitter feed, and more information about the community. It could even possibly have a forum connection and/or a Wiki connection. It would be an interesting add-on for phones and a way to connect even further to the community.

What might be the cons of it? For one, the money and effort required to put in it. I'm sure there is one capable person in this community that could do this, and if they cared about the community enough they could put this together. The money? Easily countered by the donations that could come out of this.

How can we prove that this will positively benefit the community, and be worth the time put into it? It's simple, it gives the community yet another outlet for interaction and also opens up an easy way to donate, which in return gives the money needed to keep the community on its toes. I, myself, could donate at LEAST 50-70 dollars through iTunes the moment I could. That would keep the community, with its servers, Teamspeak, and forums, alive for 2 weeks. This could very easily pile up and almost double our donations.

Please, everyone - discuss, pledge money you might end up donating, and give your opinion on the matter. I see this as a very real possibility, and though it may sound silly and sounds like things are being overdone it would open up lots of possibilities. Thanks!

Jeercrul

Reaction score
Website
steamcommunity.com
Blocktopia (not exactly) already has a paid app to view the forums. It's called Tapatalk. However I do agree to the idea of having a customised app for donations. As for the money I would donate though, I definitely wouldn't be able to donate any since iTunes doesn't accept my mode of payment so I am unable to use my main apple account. But I would love the idea of a new app.

Alkatraz

Reaction score
The problem with using in app purchasing for a donation method is that both Apple and Google take 30% cuts of the revenue, which is significantly more than PayPal's ~3%.

Additionally for an iOS app, we'd need someone with a mobile developer license - this is only $99/year, but realistically for an official looking app we'd want a new license with the Blocktopia name rather than an individuals. The Android developer fee is $25 one off cost I think.

The Blocktopia website itself is of a pretty damn high standard, and as such we'd want a "donating app" to be of an equally high standard and not look tacky, this takes time an effort, and if you wanted the forum access as well, you'd be better off using an existing app or web browser.

I appreciate that people would like to donate using iTunes credit, but at the end of the day it's probably more hassle than it's actually worth to get it to a standard that we would be proud to put the Blocktopia name on.
Instead, I would suggest buying some music, movies or apps with your iTunes credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.