[SUGGESTION] Allow players to reference for staff applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Da Jinks

Political Nerd
Reaction score
-Unsure if this has been brought up before, but though I'd suggest it-

Well I understand that as of now that only Op+ can reference people in applications for staff ranks (I remember that the last SMP allowed player references but it seems to not be anymore).

I do think this is wrong within one way - why not allow the people whom the person will staff over have a small say? I do think that maybe still have required staff references would be right but if all the staff is fine with a said player but players dont like him, would be a good trusted/op/etc.? Also note that the last SMP allowed this without any hitches whatsoever. I also think that sometimes regular players on the servers may be able to see [insertpersonhere] more then most staff. Also, normally staff will be watching over EVERYONE, and not keeping a specific person. While members may be more keen to keep a eye on a person they like.

Just a suggestion :)

Vatumok

Former CA
Reaction score
A lot players are still fairly young and do not have the ability to really judge someone, which means the references often don't mean much. This is why I don't really like the idea of allowing players to reference. However, I do think that it is important that the staff is liked by the players, but I think this is more a director's job to keep in mind when promoting/demoting people.

Edit: In my opinion, a reference means that an already trusted and respected staff member thinks that a person would be good in a trusted position. Giving players the chance to do that, while most are not trusted/respected/known, it kind of defeats the whole purpose of referencing.

KingSam

The Head Pyromaniac
Reaction score
Not to mention that we have to make sure that a reference is valid. Doing that with staff is a lot easier than with players, especially since not all of the players frequent the places that we could most easily check (Forums/TS/IRC) and may only play the servers themselves. It seems like it would be an awful lot of hassle for something which arguably wouldn't bring much to the application process as a whole.

Jayfeather

Gay Magician
Donor
Reaction score
If I could also say something: Player references could become biased because the question is more of a "do you like this person"? so if Sally thought Suzie was mean but everyone else thought she was wonderful then it could be a swayed topic.

Defiant_Blob

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
Donor
Reaction score
A player reference is also devalued because, unlike staff, a player is not required to stay active. A staff member reference is more valuable because a staff member is required to keep active and therefore would have seen the applicant more. As well, a staff member is more likely to refer them from a staff view, such as whether or not they would be a good staff member rather than if they like them. Meanwhile, players more often will refer based on friendship, as they are not as required to think like a staff member.

EggNog

c:
Reaction score
There is a reason most servers do not have this as posted above not all players take references seriously. Although I don't agree with player references I think The head staff on JtE should consider allowing Trusted references.

Kattzen

Kattzen!
Reaction score
Might as well add my 2 cents. While I think allowing players to reference others isn't a very good idea, I suppose a general opinion toward a player planning on applying would likely bring up different perspectives the staff may not know about. For example, if once in a blue moon a player was acting very un-trusted like toward anyone in the server, and a staff member (for some reason) was not there to see it, a player that was online at the time could at least inform them of how they acted that one time. Then again, everyone is a human and will obviously make mistakes from time to time. That was just a scenario that came to mind.

All in all, I don't agree with players being able to reference. I believe staff are much better suited to the job of doing so considering the rank that they hold. I don't feel that a normal player can be trusted quite yet with being able to sway the vote into any direction on a trusted application.

Jayfeather

Gay Magician
Donor
Reaction score
Might as well add my 2 cents. While I think allowing players to reference others isn't a very good idea, I suppose a general opinion toward a player planning on applying would likely bring up different perspectives the staff may not know about. For example, if once in a blue moon a player was acting very un-trusted like toward anyone in the server, and a staff member (for some reason) was not there to see it, a player that was online at the time could at least inform them of how they acted that one time. Then again, everyone is a human and will obviously make mistakes from time to time. That was just a scenario that came to mind.
Can still be mentioned if serious without allowing player references.

Status
Not open for further replies.