[Submissions Closed] Army of Darkness Mapmaking Competition

RyanDodd

Ex - Army of Darkness Director
Reaction score

Mapmaking Competition
It's time again! Time for another Army of Darkness Map Competition where you will be competing for some great rewards, plus a chance to help us out by creating a fantastic map. Before we go into specifics, there are a few guidelines that you need to follow during this competition.

Rules
Before submitting a map for the competition, you must agree to the following: Even if your map does not place in the top three and you do not receive a prize, your contribution is greatly appreciated and your map may still be updated by a staff member to allow it to be added to Army of Darkness. Additionally, your map must follow the theme and guidelines (discussed below) and must be an original creation by you.

Theme - CITY

If you've ever played Army of Darkness, which I'm sure you have, you probably noticed the wonderful variety of maps it has, which allows for a different gameplay experience each and every round. While this is an amazing feature to have, it can also cause certain themes to be overlooked. This is where the map competition comes into play. I, along with the other staff members, have decided that the city theme is one that we need to see more of in our server. City builds can provide for very interesting gameplay in that there are numerous places to hide and they can look quite diverse. I have come up with a few suggestions for what your city theme could be (these are merely tips; not required themes):

Apocalypse-themed City - Think something along the lines of what you could see in Solitude.
Modern-themed City - It can resemble any modern city, such as New York or Hong Kong.
Unique-themed City - This one is obviously up to you. It can be your own creation and reflect your own characteristics--just make sure that the gameplay is good!

What to do: Make sure that gameplay and aesthetics are top priorities in your map. These are the two factors which maps will be judged on, and can ultimately lead to a map's approval or denial. Make sure that the map is an acceptable size for the server, or it will be declined. If you need advice about deciding on a size, shoot me a PM and I'll be glad to help.

What not to do: Don't make something that is not original. Make something that is quite a bit different from anything we currently have on the server. Also, while aesthetics are quite important, gameplay is just as important. Do not favor one over the other.

Submission Process

To make things easier on you, the submission process will remain nearly the same as any other map submission. The only difference is that you need to include [Competition] in the title of your submission to let us know that the map is for the competition. If you need help creating an input file, let a staff member know. The deadline for submissions is three weeks from today - Wednesday, June 11. Winners, after being agreed upon by all Army of Darkness staff members, will be announced at the following meeting which is on Friday, June 13.

Rewards
First place: 7,500 brains, a custom title, and custom entry/exit messages
Second place: 5,000 brains and a custom title
Third place: 2,500 brains and a custom title

Finishing up

First off, thank you for taking the time to read about this competition! To those of you who want to submit a map for the competition, I wish you the best of luck and I'd also like to thank you for building maps for this server. Without people like you to build maps, this server wouldn't still be up an running. If you have any further questions about this, feel free to ask in this thread or to send me a private message.

Let it begin!​

RyanDodd

Ex - Army of Darkness Director
Reaction score
About 150x150 is the largest I'd be willing to consider, but it could change depending on how your map is layed out.

Also, just a heads up, if two or more people make a map together and place in the top three, only one will get the reward, but everyone will be listed in the hall of fame.