Spawnhouses - Now illegal.

Ronaldo

Geezuslike
Donor
Reaction score

Just incase you haven't heard yet, the LSMP staff finally took the last straw of people AFKing in spawnhouses and not doing anything constructive in them. From this point, spawnhouses are now illegal until a better alternative is available for us. If we catch any spawnhouses made by anyone during a round, we will take action as if they were a part of the rules - which means warning, kicking, or banning the individual if necessary. If you have any questions or concerns, please reply to this thread. Thanks.

Now, there IS an exceptions to this rule. After lava floods the spawn, then it becomes acceptable for players to tunnel out of the spawn to a safe area, or in rare cases to the spawn in the event that players lack the materials to make it necessary to do it themselves.

The spawns have been edited so you will be provided enough space in order to tunnel out or in accordingly. That way, you shouldn't have to rant too much about not being able to venture anywhere due to being trapped at the spawn.

EDIT: For those wondering about what players are suppose to do that join the round while it is in session, there WILL be future updates that are released to solve this sort of issue. Stay updated for more information to be released.

Ronaldo

Geezuslike
Donor
Reaction score
I think this is great, one question though people who join in the middle of a round what are they supposed to do?

For those wondering about what players are suppose to do that join the round while it is in session, we are working on finding methods to keep them entertained for the round. If you have any ideas, feel free to post them here.

• Informative
Reactions: EggNog and Pikmon2

Mac27

Your local Macintosh XXVII
Reaction score
I actually did have an idea a little while ago, and I'll point out in advance that I have utterly no idea whether this would be a difficult feature to implement or not, so this could be impossible.

I was thinking, if the server was programmed to remove a random block that had an adjacent side to lava, this could give players an entertaining sense of uncertainty. The frequency of random block breaks could also be set according to the lava gods mood. Essentially what would happen is a random block breaks, as per the code, and there is a slight chance that the broken block is a wall or floor inside players houses. Therefore, you could certainly go AFK, but realizing the possibility that upon your return, your home may be flooded.

Of course, this could be a problem for staffing, but a simple hawk log should spell out the cause of the flood, be it a lava god break, or a grief.

Ronaldo

Geezuslike
Donor
Reaction score
I actually did have an idea a little while ago, and I'll point out in advance that I have utterly no idea whether this would be a difficult feature to implement or not, so this could be impossible.

I was thinking, if the server was programmed to remove a random block that had an adjacent side to lava, this could give players an entertaining sense of uncertainty. The frequency of random block breaks could also be set according to the lava gods mood. Essentially what would happen is a random block breaks, as per the code, and there is a slight chance that the broken block is a wall or floor inside players houses. Therefore, you could certainly go AFK, but realizing the possibility that upon your return, your home may be flooded.

Of course, this could be a problem for staffing, but a simple hawk log should spell out the cause of the flood, be it a lava god break, or a grief.
This isn't a bad idea, but I fear that this would not only make griefers more difficult to identify, but it is also going to be more excessive work for us to unflood areas just to find out that it was intentional. It would also be quite harsh on the newer players because they will have no idea that their house flooding is the cause of a block randomly breaking. Also, I believe that we are going to be soon working on something that will discourage/prevent AFKers quite frequently, so stay tuned for an announcement with this sooner or later.

Vatowski

Reaction score

Like you said, this would certainly be a problem for the staff because people will be constantly screaming GRIEFFFF GRIEFFFF when it's just the server. No the problem here is not to make the rounds more difficult but the rounds less boring, now that there's no spawn houses.

My idea: Do a official release of the king of the ladder thingy that's been sitting behind the lobby for a certan time. If people don't want to stay in the map and do nothing, they can go back to the lobby and play some king of the ladder thingy

Lee_scar

Geezuslike
Donor
Reaction score
Another idea that may be quite hard to program in.
When a player joins the map they are given two minutes of 'air' an automatic thing that clicks on when a player enters the map where it pushes back lava as though they were a walking sponge. Of course as they move the bubble only stays around them. the bubble being big enough for a player to build a home or find another home.

Downside is that it sounds impossible to implement, as well as the amount of lag and abuse that can happen, since one would just jump into the map at the last two minutes and have the air pocket.

I'm just throwing ideas out there to help maybe spark other ideas.

Razinao

:_;
Reaction score
What if the people at spawn make their own place to get cookies in whilst the round is still active?
What is defined as a spawn house. Something that is connected to spawn or a house that includes spawn?

Thanks.

Araidian

The Lucario
Reaction score
Just incase you haven't heard yet, the LSMP staff finally took the last straw of people AFKing in spawnhouses and not doing anything constructive in them. From this point, spawnhouses are now illegal until a better alternative is available for us.
At first I was like,
For those wondering about what players are suppose to do that join the round while it is in session, we are working on finding methods to keep them entertained for the round.
Then I was like,

GrantaClause

Santa's Evil Twin
Reaction score
Just a thought, wouldn't it be possible for players to spawn with a couple minutes of fire resistance or something? o.o Not sure if that'd help, though.

Ronaldo

Geezuslike
Donor
Reaction score
What if the people at spawn make their own place to get cookies in whilst the round is still active?
That still ruins the whole point of this thread. It's something that they will still AFK in until the round end. Again, we are trying to work on a better alternative to this so that players don't have the choice to wait in the spawn for the round session.

What is defined as a spawn house. Something that is connected to spawn or a house that includes spawn?
Both. Well, depends really. If one were to dig up a tunnel from the spawnpoint to reach various of different areas within the map, I don't see much of a problem with it. But, any houses, especially the ones with meager space, that are connected to the spawn are not allowed. Quite frankly, we see it ALL the time taken advantage of with at least five players AFKing in it each round instead of them actually striving to go see what the maps include.

Wouldnt just an AFK.-kicker solve the problem wwith people being AFK?
We are trying to work on something to discourage/prevent AFK, and it will be announced as soon as it is complete.

I know that the intention is good, but what does it matter if you build a dirt house at spawn, or 20 blocks away?
The point is that it gives players an opportunity to go venture the map. Building a 3x3 house at the spawn doesn't promote anything helpful at all whatsoever. I don't care what type of house the players build, just as long that it doesn't make others realize the "cheap methods" of earning cookies, and just as long as they don't take advantage for what the specific map is worth either.

Other then that, thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Ogarci

Controller
Controller
Survival Staff
Reaction score

Thanks.
I don't quite understand the first question. A spawnhouse is defined as any structure made specifically for the purpose to house those who spawn late in order to get cookies. Generally, spawnhouses are connected directly to a spawn. Theres a thin line between whats accepted and whats not. If a player makes a 1x2 tunnel from the spawnzone directly to his/her/another structure before the lava flood, then that structure is clearly made to house recently joined or slain players. However, if such is made after the flood because a player is stuck in spawn, its more or less acceptable. It still should not be THAT close to the spawn. Its the intention that separates a house connected to the spawn versus a spawnhouse.

I think this is great, one question though people who join in the middle of a round what are they supposed to do?
I've editted all (hopefully) of the maps and have increased the spawnzone on all of them. It now covers not only the bedrock platform of most spawns but a few blocks outside of it as well. This is made with the intention to allow recently joined or slain players to be able to tunnel their way away and create a home after the lava has flooded.

Just a thought, wouldn't it be possible for players to spawn with a couple minutes of fire resistance or something? o.o Not sure if that'd help, though.
I thoroughly enjoy this idea.

Wouldnt just an AFK.-kicker solve the problem wwith people being AFK? I know that the intention is good, but what does it matter if you build a dirt house at spawn, or 20 blocks away?
Like Ronaldo mentioned in a previous posting, we are currently developing an AFK discourager. It won't kick you or kill you, but will make AFKing a thing of the past.

EDIT: RonaldoSkillz ninja'd me like a jerk.

• Winner
  • Informative
Reactions: EggNog and Ronaldo

Friendy

SMP Overlord & Events Manager
Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
I don't quite understand the first question. A spawnhouse is defined as any structure made specifically for the purpose to house those who spawn late in order to get cookies. Generally, spawnhouses are connected directly to a spawn. Theres a thin line between whats accepted and whats not. If a player makes a 1x2 tunnel from the spawnzone directly to his/her/another structure before the lava flood, then that structure is clearly made to house recently joined or slain players. However, if such is made after the flood because a player is stuck in spawn, its more or less acceptable. It still should not be THAT close to the spawn. Its the intention that separates a house connected to the spawn versus a spawnhouse.

I've editted all (hopefully) of the maps and have increased the spawnzone on all of them. It now covers not only the bedrock platform of most spawns but a few blocks outside of it as well. This is made with the intention to allow recently joined or slain players to be able to tunnel their way away and create a home after the lava has flooded.

I thoroughly enjoy this idea.

Like Ronaldo mentioned in a previous posting, we are currently developing an AFK discourager. It won't kick you or kill you, but will make AFKing a thing of the past.

EDIT: RonaldoSkillz ninja'd me like a jerk.
Am I the only one who sits in spawn when joining late, and jumps into the lava to get cookies? Because this is very efficient.