Spamming: The guideline for ops and trusted.

ethical1337

Don't choose the easy path just because its easy
Reaction score
I know all us operators had a nice thread made by our lovely Deadl0ck. However I noticed that this is something a lot of our trusted also don't understand and I don't blame them since the ops were doing it and so of course the trusted learn from the ops. This is just from the post Deadl0ck made in the staff section and I would like to show our players and trusted what we consider spam and what we consider just a bit annoying.

Deadl0ck's post

Hello, I noticed that some of you seem to have different idea's then we do, about what is spam. So here's a guideline!

[01:14] <+LavaGod> Deadl0ck: ffffffffffffffffffffffffffff​
Is not spam. It's annoying as shit but it's not spam. (As long as it's not bigger then 1 line, anyway.)

It's spam when it floods out other chat. For Example:

[01:14] <+LavaGod> Deadl0ck: fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff​
As a very minor spam, or:

[01:14] <+LavaGod> Deadl0ck: ffffffffffffffffffffffffffff
[01:14] <+LavaGod> Deadl0ck: ffffffffffffffffffffffffffff​
as actual full on spam.

In short, multiple the same or very similar messages (in fairly fast succession) is spam / text flood. Just 1 line of it is general stupidity.

Hope this clears it up some!

-edit-

I am not saying don't warn people for it / don't tell them it makes them look like they have the IQ of a herring high on farts, all I am saying is, it's not spam, so please don't refer to it as such, since it doesn't fall under the spam rule.

I'm pretty sure most if not all servers have a "don't be a moron" rule... ( Well we used to anyway, we might have taken it out cos it was too vague.)

kraby1

The Big Red Monster From Hell.
Reaction score
Yea, I've noticed people (including myself) saying that gggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg
is spam, as said here, isn't but it's annoying. Useful thing to know.

Trap_Wolf

dam u str8 babygurl
Reaction score
Website
www.trapwolf.com
Peronsally I always felt if the same squence of letters or complete random gibber jabber is over half my screen that'd be counted as a little spammy. :b

I don't see what the problem is here. Are people mis-using Rule 9? I always thought a calm verbal warn was all anyone used.

Swate

Llamasaur!
Reaction score
Website
www.iamawesome.com
Heh. I do seem to remember more than one instance about a year ago of warning someone for raging 'FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU' after being zombified. :3 heh

Thanks for clearing that up though, Dead. Spam is one of those things that you can't really tell if a warn should be given or not.

Chillingworth

Ex-Zombie VetOp | Ex-AoD Op
Reaction score
Sorry to be nitpicky, but I read the title of this thread as relating to someone who spams a guideline of some sort.

Shouldn't it read "Spamming: The Guideline for Ops & Trusted"

I guess the english student in me took over for a second. ;)

crashb23

The Rising Star
Reaction score
Thanks, we have a lot of players who frequently correct players who say "nooooooooooo" I'll be sure not to do that, and only correct actual spam.

James81818

Dat Lsmp Op
Reaction score
Thanks, we have a lot of players who frequently correct players who say "nooooooooooo" I'll be sure not to do that, and only correct actual spam.
If they do it often, you still could. You would just say something like "less o's please" or "try not to stretch words out so much please" instead of saying don't spam please.