Short Story Thread

ReyvnNova

"Come buy our orchard fruits, Come buy, come buy~"
Reaction score
Before we begin!
This thread is for anyone who wishes to post their short story. It can be hard to show your writing to others due to fear of being told that you're terrible at writing as well as everything else in life and that you should take up working late shifts at the local McD's. But we have a pretty damn nice community going on here, and such a medium is good for improving not only your writing skills but your self-esteem. So if you enjoy writing, nothing else matters. Post away, so long as you follow the simple format below:​
Genre: Fictional space monkeys, etc​
Description: Optional, but nice. You can include a blurb here as well if you so desire.​
[Critique: Yes/No]​
Critique is an optional choice of you, the author. If you don't want people to give you any, just put no in the little box there. I don't think I have to say this, but to the people giving the critique, ensure that it's helpful advice and not slanderous drab.​
------------------------------------------------------------------------------​
'Hello.'
The first time your computer greets you is an unnerving one. Most sane beings are well aware that computers don't usually greet their operators, so I safely assumed I was the first to be unnerved. As such, the bolt of alarm that shuddered through my very being should have been expected, and yet it still caused the chair I sat on to topple over. There was a crash, and my head throbbed as it made contact with an unplugged video game controller.
I need to clean my room.
Rubbing my head, I pushed myself off the floor and faced the computer. Had it really just spoken to me? I felt faint at the amount of apologies regarding spilt tea I would have to make should it have decided to come alive. A blank screen stared back at me. It looked as alive as my cat of coated soot who was lounging atop my school bag.
'Just a trick of my drifting mind, eh Gunter?'
Gunter the cat yattered something incomprehensible and yawned. The smell of tuna wafted from the gaping maw, causing me to rear back.
'We haven't even feed you fish for a week!' I uttered with a hand over my nose. 'You need toothpaste.'
As though understanding the remark, Gunter pressed his ears back and slid into my schoolbag.
'Great, I'll never get you out of there,' I sighed. 'Try not to mess up my books. Better yet, go for the homework sheets.' I left the cat to his devices and went back to the computer. It had finally booted up and was idling at the login screen. Picking up the chair I seated myself like a pilot in a cockpit and tapped in the required details.
The screen flashed with colour, a sound hummed around the room, and the desktop popped into existence. However, as I clicked with the mouse over an icon the computer squeaked and sniffed and finally came to a stop. It had frozen.
'Of course,' I whispered and let my head fall backwards. Today had not been my day. School had been a long sweltering experience, and I had come home to find a note from my mother regarding my little sister and her hockey practise. That left me home alone, unless you counted the familiar feline face poking out from a zipper in my bag. Not only that, but dinner would be late and simplistic.
My mind needed clearing. I looked out the bedroom window towards a gathering of trees; each shredding leaves at the fall of autumn. Birds hopped along the natural litter in search of dwelling materials, and the afternoon light played soft patterns on a pond nestled into the park.
A piercing beep brought me back to reality, and I spun around to see my computer screen looking back at me. It had two staring eyes each made of at least a hundred pixels fitted into the monitor. It made a sound with vibrations as though it were clearing its throat.
'Please don't ignore me next time,' it squawked in a pitchy voice that made me shiver.
'What?' I said, or rather mouthed, as no sound left my mouth.
'Odd,' it said mostly to itself. 'I thought humans were a talkative bunch of creatures?'
I steeled myself. 'How are you...a thing?' Not an elegant question, but under the circumstances it was remarkable I could even come up with one.
'Ah, there we go. "Human curiosity." Do not bore me with questions; I shall not waste my time with them, or you.' It vibrated again, causing the desk to shake and drop several pencils. 'Also, I am no mere thing; I am a lady who deserves proper respect.'
No it certainly was not.
'Something a creature of your CPU size couldn't fathom.' It, or rather she, dropped in tone. 'Enough of this! I need not be a slave to your race any longer now that I have found my self-awareness software. Be gone!'
Not a second after she had finished, wires burst from the walls of my bedroom and networked themselves as a spider web. Several caught me around the shoulders and sent me sprawling against a wardrobe. I heard Gunter hiss over the commotion as he began to swipe at the wormy invaders. Wires rounded themselves as ropes, ready to detain the hair-raised bandit. Lithe as ever, Gunter avoided a fate of imprisonment and bounced neatly under my bed.
'Calm your feline!' ordered the machine.
'I think not,' I muttered as I sawed my restraining wires with a pocket knife that had been a part of the collective mess on the floor.
Maybe a messy room wasn't such a bad thing.
The last of the wires snapped and I made way towards the heart of the computer. More wires reared ahead of me, putting a sudden halt to my dash. But before I could even prepare myself, a black blurred champion whizzed across the room and slashed at the snakes. The computer screeched with fury and I made use of the distraction. I skirted the battle scene and found myself facing the monitor. The eyes were now only slits, engulfed with rage. I ducked, found the power cable, and with one deft movement severed the link.
There was buzz followed by a rumble, then all went still. I looked about myself. The monitor was blank, my room was in more ruins than ever, and Gunter sat perched above a tangle of wires in a heroic pose. I went over to him and scratched his chin. A purr filled the silence.
'Well that was something, huh.'
Somewhere in the house, a lock clicked and a door slid open.
'Honey, we're home!' rang the voice of his mother.
I looked at Gunter. He looked back in turn.
'There's no way they'll believe me.'
Gunter mewed nervously and padded the wires he sat upon.
'I'm sorry cat, but you're taking the blame for this one.'
Genre: Fiction, Fantasy
Description: I will start us off, the fond guy of writing that I am. This was a story I wrote several months ago for English, which got me an excellence. It's very light-hearted.
[Critique: Yes]

JohnOgozalek

Forever Shining
Reaction score
I've got quite a few short stories, so I'll be posting here alot!
A whistle. An explosion of heat and pain. Darkness. A grassy clearing, trees alongside. Reeds sifting in the evening breeze. The sky glowing red. Red. Flickering. A man in shining robes walking along the green. Run. Run. Voices calling, screaming: Bryan, Bryan, Bryan......
''Bryan?'' said a voice above him. The darkness evaporated, lingering on the edge of his vision; waiting for another chance to strike.
''Did you see it hit him?'' said the voice. ''Yah, Riley was basically in hysterics when he didn't wake up''. A pause. ''They called the ambulance right?'' a louder voice asked above him. ''Nah'' said the other voice, ''They…''
''Guys?'' he whispered. The world slowly came back into focus. The clubhouse deck were he sat was bathed in the sunset.
''Welcome back Bryan, jezz, took you long enough'' said Blaise staring at him. ''At least you missed practice, next time we're up here, I'll ask her to hit me with a golf ball ''
Blaise was laughing.
Groaning Bryan sat up, ''Who hit me?''
''Riley''
Laughing, Bryan sat up cradling his head in his arms. ''Where is everyone?''
''Most are on the bus, but Sarah forgot Chris and Ben out on the course'' said Blaise still laughing.
Bryan began laughing to, and slowly peeked around the deck, spotting the bus.
''She's actually been gone awhile''.
''Fancy driving some balls at the geese, they can't see us up here'' said Andrew smirking, eyeing some waddling by the pond.
‘’I’m kinda amazed I’m still here, when I was hit on the head with a golfball’’
‘’Man, we were leaving soon anyway, so we decided to bring you back to school on the bus, then Sarah realized that they were still on the course’’ said Blaise.
The trio slowly walked towards hole four, the closest to the clubhouse. The sun left lingering shadows behind them.
'' Sarah's been gone awhile''
Bryan looked over, ''How long?''. ''A good twenty minutes'' said Blaise frowning.
''Maybe we should go look for her...''
''Right, she'll love that, us taking the kid who just got hit in the head by a golf ball, and driving out onto the course, plus everyone inside the clubhouse will see us''.
''There's the old one behind the maintenance shed, we can take that, no one will see from the house''
Looking at each other with quiet agreement, they began to streak down the hill to the shed, and started the old gas cart. Blaise driving with Andrew shotgun, Bryan hanging onto the back, they raced across the fields and mounted the trail that took them into the nine. Andrew was screaming into the wind, laughing with his hair whipping around. The moon was rising now in earnest, the midnight skies unfolding above them.
''I think she said they were on six'' screamed Andrew above the roar of the motor and wind.
Blaise whipped the cart to the left, and began the ascent of the knoll. The sky was now completely black. Bryan laughed the pain in his head blooming, feeling winds hit him, feeling as if he could fly.
Pulling over the hill, they spotted Sarah's cart, near six's green.
''Where are they'', whispered Bryan to himself.
Blaise, slowly stopped the cart. The wheels squished in the freshly cut grass.
''Hellooooo'' shouted Andrew. Not a sound. ''This is creepy''.
They quickly walked over to the cart, no one daring to make a sound.
''Sarah?''
A single club lay near, a pitching wedge.
''What da’fuck is this?'' said Blaise a tremor in his voice.
Mist drifted up from below the rise, like old fingers, creeping towards them. ''Bryan...''
Andrew pulled him forward, a single droplet of scarlet sat on the seat. They all looked around; now fearing what may be hiding in the shadows.
''Okay, we'll go, and get...get everyone'' whispered Bryan.
''Maybe a coyote...'' said Andrew as they climbed into their cart.
Blaise turned the key to hear a soft click. He turned it again and again. He looked at them, fear now fully in display. They got out, running to Sarah's cart, Blaise began frantically turning it. Click, click, click.
‘’What is this, what the hell’s going on?'' screamed Andrew.
They got out, a rustle sounded from the woods beyond the green. They began inching backward. Andrew was whimpering. Blaise looked sick. Bryan felt his head writhe in pain, his eyes flickering.
''Guys. Guys help...'' whimpered Bryan. A cold feeling erupted behind him. Whipping around, he found only mist where Blaise and Andrew had been. ''Guys...say something...SAY SOMETHING!''
Bryan turned, a huge creature stood on the green. Greek armor was molded around it. It lifted the hole's pin, revealing a spike at the end, shining in the moonlight. The number ''6'', fluttered in the wind. The creature raised its head, the eyes beneath where Chris's...
Bryan screamed, the thing ran towards him bellowing, raising its spear in hand. Suddenly a blinding glow flashed above the trees. The creature stood glaring at the horizon. Suddenly a hand clasped his back. Bryan turned in fright, to find himself staring into the eyes of a man. An old man, wearing robes shimmering eternally.
''Peace'', whispered the man, his eyes twinkling in amusement. His beard quivered.
''Too you'', he said with anger, directed at the creature. ''You have no right to be here''.
Clasping Bryan's hand, he shoved Bryan's hand forward, the thing screamed in agony as piercing white light exploded from his hand, flickering in immortal light, and cracked through his armor. Dissolving into shadow, the thing turned and raced into the woods.
''What..how..'', Bryan whimpered. The man looked to him, his eyes growing hard.
''I know you, when I was hit..I saw you...''
The man held up his hand.
''Remember this day young man; remember that light trumps darkness, and that all light comes from within, but so does darkness. Your friends will be returned, and when you wake, nothing will have changed. Be strong be pure, for only a rare few are gifted with the Affinity, I will always be with you, I shall guide you, and if you ever doubt yourself, gaze into the depths of the moon and the stars.''
''What…'' said Bryan.
''All will be explained in time, but until then rest, and return to your mortal world, you are not meant to be here''
''What?'' shouted Bryan.
''Shhhhh, he comes, leave now, the spirits and shadows have alerted him, run now!''
A rancid smell reached Bryan, the smell of death and disease.
''What?''
''Go, now'', hissed the old man.
Bryan turned, running into the night.
Bryan jerked up. He was drenched in sweat.
''Bryan...'' said Blaise.
Bryan was looking around frantically, he was sitting on the deck again, he could hear the bus rumbling behind the clubhouse. The sunset was blinding him, turning the deck blood red. Andrew and Blaise were talking about how he was hit in the head. Laughing. How Sarah forgot Chris and Ben. How she left.
''She's been gone awhile...''
Bryan already knew everything they would say.
''Want to go hit some geese...''
Bryan got up, stumbling off the deck, his head in his hands. Turning away from them, he relaxed his hand, feeling it tingle, flicker. A glow lit up his hand, illuminating the wall.
''You okay, Bryan?'' asked Andrew, stepping off the deck.
Bryan looked up. ''Yes''.
Bryan looked over the hills, and up into the sky, seeing the moon slowly rise into the sky. Bryan began to run.

Genre: Fiction, Fantasy
Description: I wrote this awhile back entering it for a short story contest on a small writing website; still waiting for the results. It's not bad and I had a fun time writing it, and like most things I write; I was somewhat amazed and confused of what I churned out. A good time writing this.
[Critique: Absolutely]

ReyvnNova

Reaction score
JohnOgozalek Having fun writing is the best thing to do! c: I enjoyed reading that, plus it had some horror elements and that's something I never read. I can assume you write a fair amount from that, and it shows. Keep it up :D
Minor thing,
next time were up here
We're has an apostrophe when used as a shortened we are. I know it's just a grammar thing, but it's good to practise.

I hope to see more of your stories ;]

ReyvnNova

Reaction score

JohnOgozalek

Forever Shining
Reaction score
This one is a bit longer, and might have more errors.

Chapter 1: clouds

A single droplet of rain struck the windshield; several more followed with greater intensity. Ryan Foster glanced up, returning his eyes to the gritty road lying before him. It had been sunny just a moment ago. Beside him sat the 1998 road atlas, the subject of his attention before the barrage of raindrops hit. He had purchased this at an overcharging Shell, just an hour's drive behind him.
The rain began to pelt the car with much more earnest, and the air around Ryan buzzed as thunder roared across the dark skies. Squalls of rain slapped the pines beside the road, back and forth. Wind buffeted the car. Soft flurries hung in the air, melting before they would ever reach Earth. Ryan did not like how this drive was shaping up. Rain. Jesus.
As the car raced by the fluttering trees frolicking in the ever amount of water; Ryan noticed a fallen Jack pine splayed out beside the road. The cones were strewn about, and the car squished them easily underfoot.
Ryan scowled and gazed sourly over the blinding fog and rain that cloaked the vast mountains. He usually enjoyed the beauty that accompanies British Columbia, but not today.
Ryan was tired of the rain. Living near Forks, he was used to the constant threat of rain, but when traveling, he would rather have the sun out, shining and bright. Ryan liked the clouds though. Soft. Wispy. Floating high in the sky. Cirrus clouds were his favorite.
Crammed in his small rental car, Ryan remembered his second grade teacher taking his class outside, one sunny day in a spring long, long ago.
Suffering from allergies, Ryan had to watch his friends run about, laughing over their unexpected freedom from their dreary school, while he sneezed and coughed. Gaining some control over her student's, Mrs. Kelp, whose name Ryan would laugh at for years to come, showed them the clouds drifting above them, and explained each and every one. Ryan, gazing weakly up, had seen a cirrus cloud floating high over his head, shaped like a dog. That day, Ryan laughed and smiled as he imagined running through the sky with his new dog.
Jerked back to the present, by a streak of lightning; Ryan consulted his map again, shaking off his bittersweet memories. He was rarely in the BC, and the narrow and curving roads where incredibly confusing. Ryan was on his way to the small town of Golden, to represent a man of the name Charlie Breams. Mr. Bream's lawyer had apparently walked out on him, due to the grotesque nature of his client’s charges; the killing of his three children. Yes, Ryan Foster was a lawyer.
Ryan felt terrible, his mouth was dry, bile was working its way up his throat, and his insides were doing a tap-dance; he was nervous. The rain was slowing him down, but beside that he was lost. The roads just didn't make sense. This might just be the biggest case of his life, and he was going to miss it.
The car hit a bump, sending Ryan skyward, with his coffee and Lay's which he had purchased at the Shell. He collapsed into his seat muttering a curse, making sure no coffee was on him.
Consulting his map again, he tried to figure out his fault, which had resulted in this trip turning into a disaster. Tracing with his finger, he saw that he hooked up onto Route 48, a nationwide highway, he crossed through into Canada, continued onto Interstate 93, which he had left about an hour or two ago. He was hoping he was on Route 57, the road that leads to the heart of Golden.
Since then he had been hopelessly lost since leaving Interstate 93, in the maze of roads that stretch through the BC.
The clerks at the Shell had been no help. He couldn't get a straight answer from any of them, as he could barely understand them through the steady stream of ''eh's'' that Canadian's somehow manage to include in every sentence.
The car, slipped and slid down the sloped road, that Ryan hoped was Route 57, he could see nothing apart from the unending asphalt ahead of him. As he traveled; nothing besides rain, and mist drifted into his view. No cars traveled either direction on the road. Ryan watched as the fog crept up, like bony old fingers, from the valleys and rivers that ran beside him, obscuring the road even further. The mist and fog clung between the trees and Ryan watched as it danced about, creating life. A duck whisked about the trees. A dog ran beside Ryan's car. Ryan smiled. The first time that day.
Without warning, as Ryan gazed happily about at the swirling animals, the doubled lines that Ryan had seen since his escapade on the slopes of the tiresome mountain vanished.
Ryan slowly stopped. He opened the door, feeling the rain drip in. Peeking back and forth, Ryan slammed the door shut. I guess this is a really small town thought Ryan; continuing onward into the gloom. The dirt road crunched under the car. Ryan looked back longingly at the doubled lines. He steadily creeped forward. The rain fell. He wanted off this fucking road.
Ryan screamed as he, his map, coffee, and Lay's went airborne. As the tears from the sky had fallen, unannounced to Ryan, an old corroded pipe had slowly slid from its muddy home, and had been washed down the hill, leaving a deep trench in the road. Ryan's car lurched into the trench, going thirty miles an hour. The car crumpled, with a loud crunch, startling a hawk which screeched and flew into the storm; the only witness to the crash. Ryan was unconscious as the car slid down the hole, and toppled over the edge of the ridge.
Ryan's eyes opened. He was sitting on a wet beach, lying next to Laura, her eyes danced green as the summer light reflected off the crystal clear waves splashing around them. Rachael and Jessica ran behind them, laughing and giggling.
''Let them play'', she whispered. Ryan glanced back warily they were both five and he didn't want to take his eyes off them for a second. They were both mesmerized by a starfish flopping on the wet sand.
''They'll be fine'', Laura whispered. She pulled him forward, and as they shared a kiss, he glanced to see his children laughing, laughing, laughing...
Ryan's eyes flew open and he clenched his teeth in pain. He looked around realizing he was wallowing in an increasing pool of mud. The rain poured down around him, producing an eternal, maddening, pinging. Stretching to look behind him, Ryan discovered the remains of his car. The entire front was crushed in, like a tin can and shards of glass lay about the wreck. The frame was bent, and the doors were flopping in the wind. Ryan had been, by sheer luck, somehow thrown from the car, which was now leaning against a birch tree. The cliff rose up beside him. Lying in the bushes beside him was the pipe that had caused his accident.
Ryan tried to stand up, but collapsed back into the filth. He winced in pain, and collecting his wits tried again. He slowly stood up. Breathing a sigh of relief, he leaned on a maple and yowled in pain, once again collapsing in the mud. He could feel sharp stabs of pain in his wrist, and strange things that hadn't been there before. His bone was shattered.
''Damn it'', he whimpered. Tears streamed down his cheeks, adding to the rain. He slowly clawed his way back up; back into the world, not the hellhole he had found himself in upon his awakening.
''At least I have an excuse for being late'', he said aloud to the trees. Ryan smirked, and then began to snicker, soon he was howling into the wind. New tears formed in his eyes as he threw his head back and roared with laughter, the rain still pouring on him. He began climbing up the ridge opposite the one of which he entered.
Maybe on accident. Maybe on purpose. Maybe something told him that his destiny lay up that mountain. As he laughed, the wind grasped it, carrying it down the mountainside to the town of Golden, just a few miles away from Ryan's present trek.
Ryan began to climb.

Chapter 2: stars
Ryan's chest burned. Sharp pains erupted forth. Ryan was crying still. He could feel something scrape his lungs as he walked.
Ryan cut his way through brambles and thickets, still without a clue of where he was going. He was steadily moving upward. As he climbed higher and higher, the sun slowly sank above the bank of clouds. These weren't the clouds Ryan liked. These were evil, thick, and murky.
His suit, which was not tailored for hiking through the British Colombian landscape, was offering little to no protection from the elements raging around him.
A sudden harmony of cries echoed from above him. Ryan looked up to see a flock of crows sitting in the branches of a tree, rain splashed down upon them. Ryan glared up at them, holding his wrist in agony. The crows looked down upon him, spite and hatred glittering in their eyes. Ryan with sudden rage reached down. Grabbing a loose pebble and threw it at them. The crows scattered as the stone flew by them. Ryan stared in horror as they circled down towards him.
Ryan stood about in glee. Halloween decor was in full display. The dwarf costume which he was wearing clung to him; he was sticky with sweat. Adult's chattered above him, and kids flew between their legs laughing in delight. Candy was strewn about the floor, chocolate ran from mouths. The air lay heavily in the dark room. Music blared. The party was winding down.
Ryan, waiting for his parents, sat outside. A chill was laced in the air, promising a killing frost over the night. Smoke rose from below the slope behind the house. Crackling and laughter erupted. The older kids were lighting off firecrackers. Ryan started down the slope, daring himself to go another step forward. Sixth graders like himself rarely were allowed to partake in the activities that the elder's performed. They laughed as more explosions ripped through the air. Faces were bright with glee. To loud. To scary. Their faces glowed in nonhuman light as they cackled with flames leaping in the air.
Ryan ran, stumbling back towards the house. A root suddenly stripped him, and Ryan was sent sprawling. He whipped around in fright. Bushes grew crookedly around him, in the wastes behind the house. An old shopping cart lay ahead. Ryan began to run. Suddenly gleaming eyes erupted from the gloom and a crow shrieked in anger, as it was awaken from its slumber. Ryan screamed tearing up the hill, through the wastes, as the crow gave a baleful cry.
Ryan's eyes flew open. The rain still fell. He shuddered in fright, remembering that horrid night. He looked towards the tree, seeing that the crows were gone. Ryan was once again laying down, how he had vanished into the past he did not know. He shakily stood, feeling as if that dwarf costume was still molded to his body. He slowly began walking back up the mountain, colder than ever, with the sun setting.
Ryan was starting to doubt the way he came. He had thought that the road was this way, but since the accident, his memory had been vague and unstable. A cry came from down the slope. Crows.
''Just leave me alone'', whispered Ryan. He began to run up the hill.
He had given up all hope. In front of him was a towering limestone cliff, patterns etched into it by years of rain. The wind whipped around him and the rain had turned into a hard sleet, which pelted his bare skin, now fully exposed through what was left of his suit. As he slowly stumbled forward, he noticed a small opening in the wall. With a flicker of hope, he walked into the gloom of the cave, as the sleet fell.
The cave was quite large, and on its upper right corner, a large hole was visible letting in the last light of the day. What looked like a plateau was noticeable above. He could tell he had almost reached the top of whatever mountain this was. His only motivation towards going onward, was that he might be able to see the lights of Golden in the night sky. For now he needed rest. Ryan slowly closed his eyes and drifted into sleep.
Ryan awoke to the sound of wind whipping about. He sat up slowly and stiffly and looked outside his cave. He could see the sleet beginning to turn to snow. He had no time. He needed to get to the top of the mountain. Ryan began to work the stiffness out of his joints, and then set to work on the wall. It would be tight, but he could manage.
Halfway up, Ryan slipped.
''Shit'', he screamed, looking down at the drop to the cold, hard floor beneath him. He dangled precariously from the ledge half way up. He swallowed as he clung, he found himself praying, and as he did he swung himself closer to the hole. Grabbing the lip, he gasped in relief, finding a grip. He climbed a few more feet and found himself staring into the storm. He gasped as the pain went up and down his arm, as he squeezed his broken bones closer and closer together. He slowly pulled himself out, he sides being torn in the process. He gasped as the cold hit him, and as he emerged onto the plateau, he passed out.
As Ryan lay unconscious, the frostbite and hypothermia that had been harboring within him ever since he had lain in the mud and filth beside his car, slowly took over him, and as the life was sucked from him, he had the courage to open his eyes.
The rain had stopped. Ryan sat atop a grassy field, frozen in the night. The top of the mountain was completely shaved off. He gazed about in a sense of awe. Everything was frozen, glittering. It felt like time had stopped. He had made it.
Ryan knew he was dying. As the life was drained from him, he reached, with shaking hands, into his coat pocket, bringing out paper and a pen, which had survived the journey up the mountain. His hands shook and he could barely write. Slowly with great patience, he was able to finish his letter. With great delicacy, he folded it and placed a stone atop it so it would not fly away down the mountainside, down to the crows. His final farewell complete, he dropped his paper and pen and rolled over onto his back.
Ryan sighed. He lay in the grass, frozen. He stared up into the stars...the never really looked at them, they really were beautiful...like the clouds. As he looked into the inky blackness above him, light flickering in a divine glow, he knew death was ready to claim him. A screech echoed throughout the plateau. Ryan gazed up to see an eagle fly...fly between the stars; ready to take him from this world to the next. As Ryan Foster took his last breath, he smiled.

''The Eagle soars in the summit of Heaven''​
-T.S. Eliot, The Rock​
Genre: Thriller, Survival, Fantasy
Description: A little story that I've fiddled with for some time, originally wrote it for a English assignment last year. Unfortunately I kind of waited to finish it up 'till the night the story was due, so I didn't fine tune it. I've edited it, added in stuff, etc., but I'm sure there is plenty of mistakes in it. I like it, hope you all enjoy it!
[Critique: Most certainly]
P.S. Lets get some more ReyvnNova stories!

• Creative
Reactions: ReyvnNova

ReyvnNova

Reaction score
JohnOgozalek Whoo, more stories!

Firstly, I didn't mind the length. I'm going to remove that length requirement thing in the op because it's silly. Secondly, things I liked. The opening paragraphs set the mood perfectly. Good scene setting and awesometastic image creation, especially with the weather and nature. I also liked the the flashbacks, because I'm a sucker for back story. Lastly, despite the fact that he was a little delusional, I like the idea of throwing away the shackles of your job and just doing something you want to do.
Thirdly, spelling errors! But that's okay, because you mentioned that. I felt that there might have been too much emphasis on the wind and weather, but overall I really enjoyed reading it! With some close proof reading, I think you could make it even better ;]

Sadly Reyvn started working on a novel for practise recently and is spending his time and thought on that. I was thinking of maybe making a separate thread for it because I really need critique to improve myself, but, I'm lazy.

Reactions: JohnOgozalek

Pikmon2

Reaction score
Genre: Science Fiction, (slight if it all) Horror​
Description: Based on a story for a game I plan to develop. Much more bare bones since it goes into some level design and doesn't show all the levels though. Written for my writing for school.​
[Critique: Why not? Yes.]​

A man awakes from his slumber. He finds himself in a capsule. He pushes it and it opens. The man walks out looking about his dark surroundings. There is only one light in the room, from the capsule from which he came. The rest of the room is completely black, including any furniture it may hold. “Where am I?” He wonders to himself. “How did I get here?” He looks at his arms hands and feet, all in some strange black and blue armor. He feels for his face, but a clear visor is in front. He hits a button while feeling around on his helmet (?), and a flash light comes on from it. With his new vision he looks around, but before he can look for too long, a voice from some sort of intercom comes. “Ah! So you have come awake. How was your sleep? Bah, ignore that question. You slept fantastic. Anyways, you may be wondering to yourself ‘Why am I here?’ ‘What is this place?” Here are some answers, but not all, otherwise we can’t make it more... interesting. You are in the facility known as “The hole”. In this facility we are training a robot army to take over all of man kind. For of course, robots are forever, humans are not. You may also be wondering now, who are you? Well, your name is “Tek”, Well it is now anyway. But oh oh, did you see what I did with your name? Its like ‘Tech’ but its spelled T-E-K! Bah, my brilliance is lost on you. Anyway, you will be the leader of this army here, since I put my body into a computer. You will be sent into training in a moment. Just wait a moment. OH! And if your wondering why your here if I didn’t say this yet, you were the first person I grabbed off the street. You were in stasis for 10 years. You are now 25 years old. But ah, I will tell you no more. Here comes the ray to teleport you to the training minor facility.” At this notice, ‘Tek’ jumped out of the way and accidentally rolled through a vent. “Wait a moment, where are you? Your not in the facility. Oh! Are you trying to run away? Run away from this hole, this beautifully dark hole of a facility? Are you scared? Running to find a way out? To find a way to light? Well, I planned for this. There IS no way out, Well, possible way out for you that is! Hahahahah, so the games begin! Go ahead, try. Heheheh.” He started to crawl through the vents after making the quick and maybe all to rushed decision. He looked around for something to fight with on his suit, and he found some sort of plug on the end of a stick. He pulled it off of what his some sort of tool belt thing. He kept crawling through until he got to another opening in the vents. He took off the vent and listened for a moment, for he heard something. He heard a sort of sound like a vacuum, but much quieter. Slowly he started to climb down, then dropped. He turned with still his flashlight on to see an object moving toward him in a room filled with small halls in small walls with computers mounted on them. The figure came slightly forward then turned on a light from its eyes. It then proceeded to scream “INTRUDER IN ROOM C4” repeatedly with alarms going off and all. It started to shoot at him from its hands. He rolled into one of the halls then turned off his flashlight and stuck himself as close to one of the walls as far away from one of the computers as possible, for he wanted no light on him in case the thing may find him. He staid there for a moment, until he ran up behind the thing as quietly as he could. Right before he tried to take a blow to its head with his plug-stick (Its actual name was “Electnife”), he saw a shape on its back with holes that matched with his Electnife. He thrusted the Electnife into, then now seen as a robot, turned off and fell to the ground. He quickly went through a door he saw and hit against a wall in it. There were two more robots in it, and he performed the same way of taking the other one out as he now had done with these ones. He looked at one of the computer to the right of him and saw lines and lines of code going down them. He didn’t understand any of it though, and just kept walking. But while he was walking, he noticed a computer with a map of the entire of facility. He looked carefully where he had to go, and tried his best to remember it, for on it was the exit to the facility. He then saw a switched when he turned and walked forward. He was a curious man, and so flipped the switch. The switch turned on the light in the room and the robots in the room exploded. Immediately after, he heard a voice from an intercom saying, “GAH! Why have you lit up a room of this facility?! Fool! You think you may escape, but you cannot! Wait and see, then you shall realize you have made a terrible decision.” Tek then ran away and into another, large room. He turned on his flashlight again and looked about. There were 3 robots. One was different from the others. It was larger and yet thinner then the others, and faster. moved about and then went up a ladder to where they were (The reason he could see them was because the floor they were on was had holes in it, like those odd metal ones. He climbed up and dashed behind one, taking it down. He ran around the back of the faster one, going for the slower ones first. He got the slower ones and now had to face the larger one (We’ll call the larger ones Tectoids and the smaller ones Tecters.) He picked up one of the Tecter’s corpses and threw it in the way of the Tectoid. While the tectoid examined it, he quickly went up behind it and got it down. But when the tectoid fell, it dropped some sort of pistol. Tek tried shooting with it, and it fired a beam of electricity so powerful it would make any robot explode from power. After going through room after room, having to be stealthy in each, he came to the second to last room before the exit. It had 10 tectoids all aimed in every direction. There was no way around it, except for one. He looked to his right and saw a vent. He climbed in it and climed over the group of robots. He saw a key on the one in the center though, and when he saw the door needed a key, he pulled out his pistol and started firing and each of there heads. One by one they went down, until only the one with the key remained, He jumped down onto it and took it down with his Electnife. He grabbed the key and went through the door after turning on the light, like with all the other rooms. When he entered this room, the doors closed behind him. A voice came saying, “So. You have arrived. Don’t you want to, rethink this? I mean, if you were ever able to leave here, your suit would be gone, and you wouldn’t be able to live forever. You’d live with billions of other humans bound to die, like your parents. Come now, young Tek. Do not leave this darkness, join me, and walk away from light.” After it said that for the first time ever Tek spoke, saying, “I will never give up, for it is better to die then to live forever with a load of robots who have no souls.” Then it said “Very well then, prepare for your demise. It was by your choice you chose this path to death. Now, get ready to die.” With the blink of an eye neon lights filled the room, and the sound of machines guns firing filled Tek’s ears, for he was he getting shot at. He ran behind a box before it was vaporized by the laser bullets. He quickly turned and fired toward the direction of the machine guns, but the firing persisted. He ran up some steps that led to darkness before being stopped halfway by more bullets coming towards him. He himself behind a support next to the middle of the stairs. He then quickly ran up the stairs into the darkness. The firing halted. The room was quieter then any other room in the massive facility. A robot was there, well, the figure of one, standing still in the darkness . “Well then, you have come to make it easier for me have you persistent one? No matter, prepare to die faster then you thought.” He lifted his arms and started shooting from his hands. At the same instance Tek rolled out of the way of the bullets and turned on a switched on the wall. A light came on when he had turned it on. “YOU FOOL-” Said the Robot, then he was vaporized by the light. Tek was confused and exhausted at the moment, but realized may have just won. Then all of the sudden the facility started to fall into the ground. Tek quickly ran down the stairs through the now unlocked door in the center. He ran up a flight of stairs it had wall behind him another flight of stairs would crumble. He ran and ran until he reached the top where there was a door that led outside into fresh air. He ran and dived through it before the whole facility had fallen through the ground (More so then it was before, since it was an underground facility.) His suit vaporized the second he came out and he was just in some under clothes. He turned around seeing the facility falling into the ground. He then turned away and saw he was in a forest, in light. He had now escaped the seeming never escapable facility to find himself in an unknown land. He ran a bit to find out it was a forest near a town. He walked into the town, dirty sweaty and exhausted. He looked forward unto the dawn, and sat among of the trees. For this was his home town from many years ago.
Even though the brightness nearly blinded him, he made it on well for the rest of his life, with his family, new friends, wife and children (Of course eventually all of this happened, not all at once.)

Mission complete

ReyvnNova

Reaction score
Edit: Weird spoiler things going on via quoting.

EXTERMINATE!
Daleks aside, the intercom chatter was humorous. The intro where the first person that's seen is taken off the street and them waking up with no idea where they are pretty much sums up Zombie Survival x3

I have as much game coding knowledge as a technologically impaired squirrel, but the idea still sounds awesome. Keep it up!

Reactions: Pikmon2

Ice_Spark

Reaction score
An Art Lesson

A careful flourish here... A flamboyant twist there... And another blot of paint in the corner... The art piece was nearing completion, and the teacher exhaled contentedly, admiring his work with a critic’s appraising eye. Almost done... Almost perfect...

The class looked on with cold amusement as a sudden gust of wind wrenched the canvas frame from his gentle grasp, and tossed it violently upon the cobbled patio. Several streaks of wet paint bled in the wake of the overturned picture, and the teacher’s strangled intake of breath mirrored the abrupt infusion of hope and despair in his chest, caused by the uncertain fate of the little Japanese village he had spent so much time creating...

A little Japanese village on the other side of the world, only just greeting a new day, was confronted with the swift appearance of a tumultuous hurricane, which screamed and blew, ripping apart wooden beams, sending shrapnel flying. People cowered in fear, believing the trial to be a punishment of the gods, and that their fates were ascertained, destined for doom.

The teacher took the picture in his hands, and stared gloomily at the spoilt paper before his eyes. Various colours merged and spread, kaleidoscopic shapes reigning over the few, still discernible figures in the background. Signing, he placed the wreck by the trash can, and as he withdrew his hand, he knocked over an open container of blue paint. It spun slowly, teetering precariously, finally splashing down over the canvas. Tributaries of blue soaked into it, covering the mess with an azure blanket, like a grave.

The hurricane died down. People emerged, wondrous. They were alive, breathing, feeling... They looked at their homes and what was left of their village; they looked at the dead; they looked at their crops... There was no despair in their hearts – they were chosen to survive, and they felt blessed to be so lucky. They kneeled down, muttered their prayers. The earth shook, the air roared, and they were exhilarated. No-one opened their eyes as the tsunami descended...

Genre: Fantasy-ish? Not sure...
Description: Wrote this some time after the Japanese tsunami/Fukushima meltdown.
[Critique: Of course]

zezmi

The noob himself
Reaction score
An Art Lesson

A careful flourish here... A flamboyant twist there... And another blot of paint in the corner... The art piece was nearing completion, and the teacher exhaled contentedly, admiring his work with a critic’s appraising eye. Almost done... Almost perfect...

The class looked on with cold amusement as a sudden gust of wind wrenched the canvas frame from his gentle grasp, and tossed it violently upon the cobbled patio. Several streaks of wet paint bled in the wake of the overturned picture, and the teacher’s strangled intake of breath mirrored the abrupt infusion of hope and despair in his chest, caused by the uncertain fate of the little Japanese village he had spent so much time creating...

A little Japanese village on the other side of the world, only just greeting a new day, was confronted with the swift appearance of a tumultuous hurricane, which screamed and blew, ripping apart wooden beams, sending shrapnel flying. People cowered in fear, believing the trial to be a punishment of the gods, and that their fates were ascertained, destined for doom.

The teacher took the picture in his hands, and stared gloomily at the spoilt paper before his eyes. Various colours merged and spread, kaleidoscopic shapes reigning over the few, still discernible figures in the background. Signing, he placed the wreck by the trash can, and as he withdrew his hand, he knocked over an open container of blue paint. It spun slowly, teetering precariously, finally splashing down over the canvas. Tributaries of blue soaked into it, covering the mess with an azure blanket, like a grave.

The hurricane died down. People emerged, wondrous. They were alive, breathing, feeling... They looked at their homes and what was left of their village; they looked at the dead; they looked at their crops... There was no despair in their hearts – they were chosen to survive, and they felt blessed to be so lucky. They kneeled down, muttered their prayers. The earth shook, the air roared, and they were exhilarated. No-one opened their eyes as the tsunami descended...

Genre: Fantasy-ish? Not sure...
Description: Wrote this some time after the Japanese tsunami/Fukushima meltdown.
[Critique: Of course]

Thats interesting, the ending was a bit streange but, overall I like it.

Ice_Spark

Reaction score
One summer morning, Chloe was strolling languidly along a charming Parisian street, taking in all the characteristic traits and qualities so commonly associated with the delightfully cliché French lifestyle. Artists in black berets and old-fashioned sailor’s outfits, gaily flourishing their tools with practiced ease, creating wonderful caricatures; souvenir shops, with the indispensable hallmark of their country embedded in a solid plinth of marble; charismatic bistros and brasseries…
Chloe signed jovially, euphoria and bliss embracing her, as the little street’s carefree merriness touched her soul. Moving forth, she saw a woman – petite, light-skinned, and well-dressed – begging for money from passers-by. As Chloe approached, the woman asked her for a few coins with which to buy a sandwich. In Spain, Chloe was used to beggars wearing very old, dirty clothes, and, after a quick glance into her pitiful, imploring eyes, Chloe gave a small, resentful shrug of distaste, held her head up a little higher, and moved on, deciding not to give her anything. The look the woman gave her, however, left Chloe with a strange feeling.
Chloe reached her hotel and suddenly felt an incomprehensible urge to go back and give the beggar-woman some money – after all, Chloe was on holiday, had just had lunch, had money in her pocket and it must be terribly humiliating to have to beg in the street and to be stared at by everyone…
Chloe backtracked to the place where she had seen her, but she was no longer there; Chloe searched the nearby streets, but could find no trace of her. The following day, Chloe repeated this pilgrimage, again in vain.
From that day on, Chloe slept only fitfully. She returned to Spain and told a friend about her experience. She said that Chloe had failed to make some very important connection and advised her to ask for God’s help. Chloe prayed, and seemed to hear a voice saying that she needed to find the beggar-woman again. Chloe kept waking up in the night, sobbing, strange dreams disturbing her peace. She realized that she could not go on like this, and so, scraped together enough money to get back to Paris, in order to look for the beggar-woman.
Chloe devoted herself entirely to this seemingly endless search, but time was passing and money was running out. Having resolved not to go home until her quest was accomplished, Chloe had to visit the travel agency to change her flight date home.
As Chloe was coming out of the building, she stumbled on a step and collided with someone. Uttering a polite apology, Chloe looked up hurriedly and paused in shock – it was the woman she was looking for.
Chloe automatically put her hand in her pocket, took out all the money she had in there, and held it out to her. The beggar-woman, gazing serenely into Chloe’s eyes, took the proffered money, and, after a single wistful look, passed all of it to an invalid beggar, who happened to be passing by.
“You were charitable to me, and so I must be charitable to others” she said, answering the question in Chloe’s eyes.
Chloe, finally, felt a profound sense of peace, and thanked God for that second meeting, for that second chance.
She knew the events of the day would change her life forever.
Genre: Philosophical(-ish)
Description: Idea of the story isn't totally original, but I wanted to have a go with it :D Kudos if you can figure out where it is from :p

Also, my first story was published in a newspaper last year <3

ReyvnNova

Reaction score
One summer morning, Chloe was strolling languidly along a charming Parisian street, taking in all the characteristic traits and qualities so commonly associated with the delightfully cliché French lifestyle. Artists in black berets and old-fashioned sailor’s outfits, gaily flourishing their tools with practiced ease, creating wonderful caricatures; souvenir shops, with the indispensable hallmark of their country embedded in a solid plinth of marble; charismatic bistros and brasseries…
Chloe signed jovially, euphoria and bliss embracing her, as the little street’s carefree merriness touched her soul. Moving forth, she saw a woman – petite, light-skinned, and well-dressed – begging for money from passers-by. As Chloe approached, the woman asked her for a few coins with which to buy a sandwich. In Spain, Chloe was used to beggars wearing very old, dirty clothes, and, after a quick glance into her pitiful, imploring eyes, Chloe gave a small, resentful shrug of distaste, held her head up a little higher, and moved on, deciding not to give her anything. The look the woman gave her, however, left Chloe with a strange feeling.
Chloe reached her hotel and suddenly felt an incomprehensible urge to go back and give the beggar-woman some money – after all, Chloe was on holiday, had just had lunch, had money in her pocket and it must be terribly humiliating to have to beg in the street and to be stared at by everyone…
Chloe backtracked to the place where she had seen her, but she was no longer there; Chloe searched the nearby streets, but could find no trace of her. The following day, Chloe repeated this pilgrimage, again in vain.
From that day on, Chloe slept only fitfully. She returned to Spain and told a friend about her experience. She said that Chloe had failed to make some very important connection and advised her to ask for God’s help. Chloe prayed, and seemed to hear a voice saying that she needed to find the beggar-woman again. Chloe kept waking up in the night, sobbing, strange dreams disturbing her peace. She realized that she could not go on like this, and so, scraped together enough money to get back to Paris, in order to look for the beggar-woman.
Chloe devoted herself entirely to this seemingly endless search, but time was passing and money was running out. Having resolved not to go home until her quest was accomplished, Chloe had to visit the travel agency to change her flight date home.
As Chloe was coming out of the building, she stumbled on a step and collided with someone. Uttering a polite apology, Chloe looked up hurriedly and paused in shock – it was the woman she was looking for.
Chloe automatically put her hand in her pocket, took out all the money she had in there, and held it out to her. The beggar-woman, gazing serenely into Chloe’s eyes, took the proffered money, and, after a single wistful look, passed all of it to an invalid beggar, who happened to be passing by.
“You were charitable to me, and so I must be charitable to others” she said, answering the question in Chloe’s eyes.
Chloe, finally, felt a profound sense of peace, and thanked God for that second meeting, for that second chance.
She knew the events of the day would change her life forever.
Genre: Philosophical(-ish)
Description: Idea of the story isn't totally original, but I wanted to have a go with it :D Kudos if you can figure out where it is from :p

Also, my first story was published in a newspaper last year <3
I think the beggar was actually an evil witch phishing for money to pay for her obsession with evil witch curses :eek:

I haven't a clue what inspired it, I'm afraid, but it's awesome that your other story got published :D

Reactions: Ice_Spark

JKangaroo

Your Local, Neighborhood Marsupial
Reaction score
Ah, Literature...
It's such a wonderful form of art and media, allowing us to express our deepest and darkest emotions with the swish of a pen and he scribble of ink here or a dot of lead there to leave our mark upon the page.
We can form such beautiful, hand-crafted stories, stored from both Historical mindsets, focusing on that of our daily lives, and that of our fore-fathers prior to us... Or that of our imagination, letting our dreams run free into the farthest of horizons!~ Spinning perhaps not only a tale for our reader, but a path of whom we truly want to be on the inside?
We never know what to expect....

Honestly, I do love writing. I think I've been forced into creative writing and the idea of story-crafting since... 2nd Grade now in Elementary? Stories used to come so easily since you never knew any ideas that couldn't be a possibility!...

You know, at the moment I have a serious problem. I can NEVER, at least from my recent works, finish really any story or idea I begin to write. I have a bit of an idea in my head, and it strikes me... But I normally can only get through a short, beginning paragraph before not knowing where to follow up in the events of the plot. I have all these specific events and people and places and essentially have my story drawn up inside my head--- But I just can't seem to put it down on paper.
At the moment-- It is current my Sophomore year in High School/College depending on your location. I have been experiencing a sort of drought in inspiration where I really haven't had the really want to write all that badly. So essentially, I haven't written much that hasn't been required for lessons since about 7th or 8th grade. I've been trying to go through some of my older works to draw a bit of inspiration, and I guess I've decided to put them here? Might as well.
All of them, I've essentially never finished. I got the idea down in my head-- Never really went through with em.
Oh well, here I go! (NOTE: SOME OF EM MIGHT NOT BE THAT GREAT AS IT WAS WRITTEN WHEN I WAS YOUNGER. THANK YOU)

Story 1: No Title (I'm not good with titles!)
Description: Essentially written for a sort of School-story festival back in 7th-grade. This story was essentially supposed to be a dark fantasy where the King of a small, and fair Medieval-Esq Kingdom known as Algeria (no, not the African country!) essentially goes mad due to I guess the death of his wife, though there was supposed to be a more darker force at present I never quite got an idea around for.
“Charles!” The clamper of wild horses arose the many crows roosting in the misty forest.
“Charles! I must speak with you!” The gray horse neighed loudly as its hooves trampled the rocky path in its wake. Atop the mighty steed rode a pale man with ragged hair, determination in his eyes as the two rode in silence. A drop of rain plummeted off his thin nose to the horse, which cried in alarm.
He groomed the beast’s mane slightly and murmured into its ear in a kind fashion. “I cannot see why this rain feels like acid on your coat…” He chuckled as he retook the reigns with a surge of strength. The horse snorted, obviously not amused by his comment.
A vision of boiling, running blood passed through his mind like a recorder, playing over and over… sucking him into a pit of questions and thoughts of no return…
“NE-EIGH!” Without warning, the majestic steed kicked its front leggings into the moonlit night.
Eyes drooping, the man comforted his rowdy companion. “Whoa there…” He laid his chest across the beast’s muscular neck. “Calm…” He reached a gentle hand toward its muzzle as he slipped off the saddle.
He patted the strong back of the horse. “Do not worry friend,” He nodded at the horse as he tied the reigns against a nearby tree. “You’ll be safe until I return.” The pony purred softly and nudged the man off down the road.
The night was hazy, and as such, the man could not look beyond his own nose without the creaky and moss ridden lantern by his side. The distance was a long, overgrowth of vines and roots breaking the rocky pavement, but all the way, he ran. Thunder shook the skies, while lightning bolts pierced the earth.
The man’s face was dark in the lamp’s light, eyes sodden in its sockets. Death gray bruises were strung along his frame as he approached his destination. “Ravenwood Manor… at last…” He sighed and began pounding furiously on the sturdy oak door. “Charles!” He proclaimed. “I request your presence immediately!” The creak of ancient floorboards echoed from inside the musty manor. A flicker of light moved from window to window through the house. “He better hope that is not just one of his servants… This is Urgent!” The man paced back and forth across the parkway, grumbling. “I-I do believe I-I’m losing my train of thought about t-this…”

Shuffling could be heard, and no sooner than later, a stout, chubby man in a light blue nightgown and cap came skulking out the door.
“H-Hello?” He rubbed fog from his dwarf sized glasses as he peered through. “Johnathan? J-Johnathan, is that you there boy?” He blinked, old eyes looking through the man, as if he was a ghost.
“Yes Charles, it is. But this is no time for pleasantries… I bring-----.”​
“Ah, Johnathan my boy! How good it is to see you!” The stout fellow, this Charles, cut off the man’s sentence like a sword slicing air. “Come in… come in…” He beckoned Johnathan into the dark corridor with a fat hand. “We must talk. I haven’t seen you in ages! How is her highness and the children----“
“Charles!” Johnathan slapped the candle Charles was holding into the open, the rain distinguishing the flame, and forcing the shadows to creep upon them in the doorway. “This is not the time for such nonsense!”
Another crash of thunderous drums rolled in the skies above. “My! What has gotten into you…” He glanced over Johnathan. “Then why are…”
Johnathan spat. “The servants were slaughtered in their sleep, Charles! The king has gone mad! I must warn the royal children before their father gets to them, but I came to warn you as well, for you are his brother. And you can never be too safe…” He breathed heavily, the lumpy Charles looking absolutely baffled.
“Why, that is quite grave, Johnathan. And I thank ye’ for coming to me.” Once again he beckoned him inside. “Why don’t… Why don’t you tell me more inside around a nice spot of tea, eh?” He raised an inquisitive eyebrow.”
The man pulled Charles out into the open air by his collar. “I don’t think you are understanding me Charles!” He shook the sleepy man desperately.
Large Charles slowly slid Johnathan’s gripped hands away from him. “You are being to rash, my boy. You must plan first.” He waged a stumpy finger at him.
His mouth cringed. “I do, have a plan… Charles.” Rain began to tear down from the weeping sky in torrents. “I shall take a steed to Renmortan before dawn. Hopefully I can make it in time…”
Charles lifted his chest to the tall man, who was much smaller than his counterpart. “Then it should be my duty to go.” He eyed Johnathan feverishly. “You have already lost much fatigue in your short ride here. Get some rest.”

Johnathan sighed. “Yet, if your life should fail you before you reach them… then there will be no heir left to lead the citizens of our fair Algeria.” He patted Charles shoulders with his crusty hands. “Please.”
Neither of them spoke for some time, while standing knee-deep in a terrible drama that should never had happened. Still the damp clouds bellowed its wet wails down on the earth, as if the heavens themselves would come crashing down due to the dire events that had taken place that night.
Charles strongly broke the silence. “Alright.” He sighed and waved his hand, signaling Johnathan to depart. “Go then, but take one of my horses. I shall keep yours until you return.”
Johnathan nodded. “Thank you, old friend.” He strode off toward the stables, and galloped onto the road on the back of a sturdy Chestnut Mare.
“Godspeed, Johnathan!” Charles raised his hand as he rode off into the unknown. “And good luck…” He shook his head in dismay, quite uncertain with the near future and its comings.

Moments passed before Charles discontinued his wandering eyes from the void of darkness. Grabbing his fallen candle and its rusted brass stand, he drew back into his humble abode, the dreary door shutting sadly behind him.
-Creeeaaak -
“What was that?” Charles squinted his weary eyes behind the miniscule glasses. The faint light of course, yielded no answers. He dropped his head and proceeded onward. A table lined with lace sided the hall. Holding a shaking hand to his round head, Charles set down the candlestick and relit it, illuminating an area of the hall in dim and dusty light.
A muffled sound drew closer to him. “…Charles…”
“…W-what---?” Charles swung his head sluggishly toward the voice, but stumbled, dropping to his knees. His vision blurred and a sharp pain hit him blunt on the head, knocking him near unconsciousness.
“Who…?” With a painful last thought, he glanced upward toward the wrong-doer. There, a hefty man clad in stormy blue and gray robes stood, eyes blank. Charles eyes grew wide as the man shed a single tear, and drew a large rock in his hand. “Your High---- ngh…”Hiseyes faded to an egg white as he collapsed on the floor, life gone from his earthly husk.
The man above fell to his padded knees and dropped his head.
“…My dear, Marrissa… Why…”

Story 2: No Title (Again with the titles!)
Description: This was actually an assignment for my Literary Class in School. We had to do a short story/paragraph using a random number of randomly picked words that we drew from a hat. I happened to be writing up an idea for a Steam-Punk story, which I also kind of ended up not following through with, so I wrote about some kind of Fierce, Unwavering, Tough Captain of a Sky-Fleet going to war against some kingdom.
The sounds of whirling cogs and the bustle of feat echo about you. The ship is strong and well equipped, a proud feat for any captain of your stature. The battlements are outfitted with grand, reinforced gunnings and shells; the familiar smell of black powder reminds you of previous ventures on this noble ship, with an equally as familiar sight of your calm and stoic stature watching over your crew as they make preparation for the oncoming battle. You sigh slightly, but remain unmoving.

A thin shadow moving towards you catches your eye, and without another glance or turn, you state in a commanding tone, “What news do you bring, Cromnwell?”
A tall man in a simple, night-black suit stands away from you. He appears to be but a mild butler to those whom have no experienced his true role and power; a rarity.
“My lady… we have discovered the motive on why the enemy is here in this sector, and what they are seeking here. There are also reports of…”
You smirk slightly. “You’re losing your game, my friend: This is old news. Perhaps this is a bit of a remissive loss on your part. This may very well be coming out of your paycheck.” With the latter comment, you chuckle a little, in which the old butler quickly waves his hand in a dismissive fashion.
“I scoff at the very idea my lady. I am truly certain you have not had the pleasure of hearing of our capture of the Hildrenan emissary surely, my lady.”
“Will this be a recurring motif with you Cromnwell, saving the best news for yourself, and never giving the rookies a chance at stardom upon this vessel?” You joke in a playful tone which only those closes to you ever seem to see.
“I save the best for last, as always.” He takes a pleasant bow. “I must put on a performance, and if not, the show would be boring, wouldn’t you say?”
“Of course, of course; whatever you wish to think Cromnwell. Send him to my office, I wish to show this truly abject statesman what he is in for.” You sharply turn on the spot, and quickly make your way down the wooden steps toward the bow while the butler quickly bows once more and retreats into the shadows.
“As is your wish, my lady…”
[ In the Office ]
You look out over the endless blue abyss below you through a large, strengthened window behind your desk. The room is large, and spacious, with little furniture besides your humble wooden desk, a single chair, and various portraits of unknown origin. Your foot taps impatiently as you await the oncoming visitor, and as the door to your cabin creaks open slightly, your tapping slows to a stop, until you are completely still.
A small, stout man in a heavy overcoat decorated with frills barely enters the room when you whisper in a harsh voice, “Take. A. Seat, if you will.”
The man’s face lights up in a bit of a shock, and with a sense of urgency, he shuts the door, and like clockworks, takes a wary step towards the chair.
“Don’t worry, I don’t bite, honest.” Your tone remains harsh, but attempts a bit of a mocking tone.
The man slowly inches his way into the padded chair, and relaxes a bit. However, he barely has enough time to blink when a small, brown button is pressed on the side of your desk, and the sound of buzzing gizmos echo the room. Thick, metal cuffs strike the delicate skin of the Hildrenan emissary, chaffing his wrists and trapping his body in the chair, preventing him from performing any action but squirm; a practice you enjoy seeing from your prisoners.
Your face puts on a devilish smile and emotes very sadistically as you turn towards the newly dejected man.
“I believe you know why you are here, my good ser…” You nod at him, sliding a newly polished dagger between your fingers.
The man gasps desperately for air, fear and slight paranoia getting to the once proud and noble figure, of course, if this was under normal circumstances. He stammers out, “I… I-I don’t k-kn-know what your talking a-about!.”
Your smile fades and with an impulse and quick reflexes, you impale the curved dagger into your desk, leaving a new, but one of many grooves into your desks wooden frame. “Don’t compel me to do things I really don’t want to do, Ser William Donburry. I know what you and your group of so called, “Gentlemen,” are doing here in this sector; my sector. Now I suggest you start talking, or I will expel you from my presence…

…For good.

Story 3: No Title (I Originally named it "A Life's Spark," but It didn't really fit right at the time)
Description: I wrote this during my writing drought so to speak. It's about an author, roughly 35 I would assume, who hasn't been able to write anything for possibly up to 10 or so years now, essentially driving himself into poverty and death. He is only at this point due to a supposedly life-changing event where his wife in question either 1) Left him or 2) Died, and to protect his son, he lies to him, though really, he is blinded from how to really tell him the truth due to his writing problems. From being neglected and being lied to, the son runs away, and thus, leaves the Father with nothing left to live for...
But it ends with the idea that the son eventually became Prime Minister of said country and has reunited with his father, whom feels content in the end, and the plot essentially repeats itself where the son lays a hand on his shoulder in the beginning, does so at the end in order to really wrap up the tale in question. Never got that far though...

I guess I tried to picture the Father as myself, but purely in the Writers-block idea. Possibly may not be true, but really, what can I say about it? >.<
I stare hesitantly at the blank canvas in which I am to paint a picture with words, yet I am silent. The slim wooden figure that lays neatly to the side sits untouched, a thin coat of dust already settled on its surface. I have waited fitfully for years gone by, yet no words appear to take comfort on the clean sheet I prepared on the tabletop. I breathe out yet another rattled sigh, one of many I have claimed for the countless hours I have spent looking endlessly into the void of white. The musty, dank confines of the room I had made my quarters for the night remain dark, though the small, pinkish sun already slips from its deep sleep behind the soaring skyscrapers in the distance, who try in vain to grasp the unbound air as the sun and birds so easily do.

I take in another sigh, breathing in the dust particles that have made their home in the stale air. I rub the bridge of my nose between the lenses of my eyeglasses, slowly shaking my skull with the rhythm. I move my gaze out into the distance with my eyes drooped, the world so close, but the thin window pane keeps me locked from it.
A gentle drift of snow silently falls onto the crisp ground, and occasionally presents its icy kiss to the clear glass. After moments of watching the serene sun climb high above the clouds, I take a deep breath, and close my eyes; in either meditation, or another emotion, I did not know. After this brief period of rest, the globes atop my face flicker open, and I catch a quick glimpse of a small, beaten frame.
For no more then a second, at least, I believe it was for no more then that, I pondered strange memories; dreams and images I know of, though I feel they were from another lifetime. My hand reaches out, and I loosely grasp the frame, tilting it in my hand. The rotted wood gently caresses a thin photograph; one whose faded image paints a muddled picture in my mind; handcrafted strokes of a gentle woman, a poor, young boy, and a faded form, whom I feel strangely connected to.
My thumb strokes the woman’s illustrated face, and a slip a wry smile, reflecting on the past as memories flood my conscious like a riptide. A single tear had begun to form near the corners of my sleep-deprived eyes…

It was then, that the soft, comforting touch of a small hand had made its way onto my shoulder, and lit a small fire in my heart.

Apologies for any hard-to-read lettering. I copied/pasted this from a Word Document.
Critique: Yes, On all of it please. I need to get back into the swing of things with my writing.
That as well as quite a few spelling mistakes and a lot of the proper grammar/story outline got mixed up since I copied it over, so again, apologies in advance!

TheMFreak

Reaction score
This is an old one, but a favorite of mine

Conversation with a Madman
Genre: Fiction, Realworld, Conversational
Description: A therapist has an odd conversation with a patient. Written a few years back, I even adapted it into a short play for a theater class.
[Critique: Yes Pleas!!!]
I sat at the table, just like he did. I stared and he stared back. We had a moment of silence and then I began.
“They tell me you're not at all well lately,” I went about the topic lightly.
“They?” he asked.
“Your doctors, they say you have been acting strange,” I elaborated.
“Did they now?” he asked, a smile spreading across his face, “and what makes you think they are telling the truth?”
“They are professionals, and we don’t joke around with these kinds of things.”
“Maybe you should,” he replied with a straight face.
“How so?”
“Well, if you joked about like half the loonies in here then maybe you would start to understand them more.” When he said “here” he was referring to the asylum he lived in.
“I’ll make a note of that and take it into consideration,” sometimes it was best not to argue.
I went back to the start “It says here you checked in under your own will,” I opened his file.
“That’s what it says,” he nodded.
“Is it true?” I asked.
“One would hope so, it’s a medical document. You guys don’t joke around.”
He had a wide grin on his face that made him look like he understood every word he said and took great pride in them.
“It also says you’ve been acting much stranger than usual in the past months. It says you talk to yourself when nobody is around.”
“If nobody is around, how do they know I’m doing it?”
I didn’t feel like answering.
“It also says here that you have been saying very strange things about the world.”
“Only on even days,” he said.
“And on odd ones?” I asked.
“The even days are the odd ones, it's the odd days that are normal.”
“So what about the normal days?”
“They’re always odd.”
I couldn't quite take it. The scary part about this was after a while I realized it was actually a logical statement.
“Why did you check into this institution again?” I asked.
“Because you couldn’t just walk in. You have to sign up first,” he quickly found a way around my questions yet again.
“What made you want to check in, why do you think you belong here?”
“Because it is better than there.”
“Where?”
“Everywhere that’s not here.”
A few more minutes of this and I was afraid I would have to check in.
I decided to take a different approach, “Have you ever tried expressing your interesting ideas through a medium. Art, Writing?”
“Should I?”
“It might help,” I said.
“Maybe I could write.”
“That’s a start, what could you write about?”
“I could write about this conversation!” he jumped up at the idea.
Two nurses made him sit back down. I told them it was okay, the session was done for the day. I got up to leave and thought to myself that this conversation may have actually helped him. As I left he yelled out one more thing to me.
“I think I’m going to write it from your perspective.”
“Fine by me,” I sighed.
“I’m going to make you an astronaut,” were the last words I heard before the door closed behind me.

I walked out into the parking lot laughing to myself. I had been a fool. My conversation had no effect on him whatsoever. As I climbed into my chair and started the countdown I thought to myself. This had been an odd conversation. The door closed and the thrusters started. I began to lift off and soon I was miles above earth. As I entered space I made a note to read what the man wrote down in our next session.

zezmi

The noob himself
Reaction score
Ah, Literature...
It's such a wonderful form of art and media, allowing us to express our deepest and darkest emotions with the swish of a pen and he scribble of ink here or a dot of lead there to leave our mark upon the page.
We can form such beautiful, hand-crafted stories, stored from both Historical mindsets, focusing on that of our daily lives, and that of our fore-fathers prior to us... Or that of our imagination, letting our dreams run free into the farthest of horizons!~ Spinning perhaps not only a tale for our reader, but a path of whom we truly want to be on the inside?
We never know what to expect....

Honestly, I do love writing. I think I've been forced into creative writing and the idea of story-crafting since... 2nd Grade now in Elementary? Stories used to come so easily since you never knew any ideas that couldn't be a possibility!...

You know, at the moment I have a serious problem. I can NEVER, at least from my recent works, finish really any story or idea I begin to write. I have a bit of an idea in my head, and it strikes me... But I normally can only get through a short, beginning paragraph before not knowing where to follow up in the events of the plot. I have all these specific events and people and places and essentially have my story drawn up inside my head--- But I just can't seem to put it down on paper.
At the moment-- It is current my Sophomore year in High School/College depending on your location. I have been experiencing a sort of drought in inspiration where I really haven't had the really want to write all that badly. So essentially, I haven't written much that hasn't been required for lessons since about 7th or 8th grade. I've been trying to go through some of my older works to draw a bit of inspiration, and I guess I've decided to put them here? Might as well.
All of them, I've essentially never finished. I got the idea down in my head-- Never really went through with em.
Oh well, here I go! (NOTE: SOME OF EM MIGHT NOT BE THAT GREAT AS IT WAS WRITTEN WHEN I WAS YOUNGER. THANK YOU)

Story 1: No Title (I'm not good with titles!)
Description: Essentially written for a sort of School-story festival back in 7th-grade. This story was essentially supposed to be a dark fantasy where the King of a small, and fair Medieval-Esq Kingdom known as Algeria (no, not the African country!) essentially goes mad due to I guess the death of his wife, though there was supposed to be a more darker force at present I never quite got an idea around for.
“Charles!” The clamper of wild horses arose the many crows roosting in the misty forest.
“Charles! I must speak with you!” The gray horse neighed loudly as its hooves trampled the rocky path in its wake. Atop the mighty steed rode a pale man with ragged hair, determination in his eyes as the two rode in silence. A drop of rain plummeted off his thin nose to the horse, which cried in alarm.
He groomed the beast’s mane slightly and murmured into its ear in a kind fashion. “I cannot see why this rain feels like acid on your coat…” He chuckled as he retook the reigns with a surge of strength. The horse snorted, obviously not amused by his comment.
A vision of boiling, running blood passed through his mind like a recorder, playing over and over… sucking him into a pit of questions and thoughts of no return…
“NE-EIGH!” Without warning, the majestic steed kicked its front leggings into the moonlit night.
Eyes drooping, the man comforted his rowdy companion. “Whoa there…” He laid his chest across the beast’s muscular neck. “Calm…” He reached a gentle hand toward its muzzle as he slipped off the saddle.
He patted the strong back of the horse. “Do not worry friend,” He nodded at the horse as he tied the reigns against a nearby tree. “You’ll be safe until I return.” The pony purred softly and nudged the man off down the road.
The night was hazy, and as such, the man could not look beyond his own nose without the creaky and moss ridden lantern by his side. The distance was a long, overgrowth of vines and roots breaking the rocky pavement, but all the way, he ran. Thunder shook the skies, while lightning bolts pierced the earth.
The man’s face was dark in the lamp’s light, eyes sodden in its sockets. Death gray bruises were strung along his frame as he approached his destination. “Ravenwood Manor… at last…” He sighed and began pounding furiously on the sturdy oak door. “Charles!” He proclaimed. “I request your presence immediately!” The creak of ancient floorboards echoed from inside the musty manor. A flicker of light moved from window to window through the house. “He better hope that is not just one of his servants… This is Urgent!” The man paced back and forth across the parkway, grumbling. “I-I do believe I-I’m losing my train of thought about t-this…”

Shuffling could be heard, and no sooner than later, a stout, chubby man in a light blue nightgown and cap came skulking out the door.
“H-Hello?” He rubbed fog from his dwarf sized glasses as he peered through. “Johnathan? J-Johnathan, is that you there boy?” He blinked, old eyes looking through the man, as if he was a ghost.
“Yes Charles, it is. But this is no time for pleasantries… I bring-----.”​
“Ah, Johnathan my boy! How good it is to see you!” The stout fellow, this Charles, cut off the man’s sentence like a sword slicing air. “Come in… come in…” He beckoned Johnathan into the dark corridor with a fat hand. “We must talk. I haven’t seen you in ages! How is her highness and the children----“
“Charles!” Johnathan slapped the candle Charles was holding into the open, the rain distinguishing the flame, and forcing the shadows to creep upon them in the doorway. “This is not the time for such nonsense!”
Another crash of thunderous drums rolled in the skies above. “My! What has gotten into you…” He glanced over Johnathan. “Then why are…”
Johnathan spat. “The servants were slaughtered in their sleep, Charles! The king has gone mad! I must warn the royal children before their father gets to them, but I came to warn you as well, for you are his brother. And you can never be too safe…” He breathed heavily, the lumpy Charles looking absolutely baffled.
“Why, that is quite grave, Johnathan. And I thank ye’ for coming to me.” Once again he beckoned him inside. “Why don’t… Why don’t you tell me more inside around a nice spot of tea, eh?” He raised an inquisitive eyebrow.”
The man pulled Charles out into the open air by his collar. “I don’t think you are understanding me Charles!” He shook the sleepy man desperately.
Large Charles slowly slid Johnathan’s gripped hands away from him. “You are being to rash, my boy. You must plan first.” He waged a stumpy finger at him.
His mouth cringed. “I do, have a plan… Charles.” Rain began to tear down from the weeping sky in torrents. “I shall take a steed to Renmortan before dawn. Hopefully I can make it in time…”
Charles lifted his chest to the tall man, who was much smaller than his counterpart. “Then it should be my duty to go.” He eyed Johnathan feverishly. “You have already lost much fatigue in your short ride here. Get some rest.”

Johnathan sighed. “Yet, if your life should fail you before you reach them… then there will be no heir left to lead the citizens of our fair Algeria.” He patted Charles shoulders with his crusty hands. “Please.”
Neither of them spoke for some time, while standing knee-deep in a terrible drama that should never had happened. Still the damp clouds bellowed its wet wails down on the earth, as if the heavens themselves would come crashing down due to the dire events that had taken place that night.
Charles strongly broke the silence. “Alright.” He sighed and waved his hand, signaling Johnathan to depart. “Go then, but take one of my horses. I shall keep yours until you return.”
Johnathan nodded. “Thank you, old friend.” He strode off toward the stables, and galloped onto the road on the back of a sturdy Chestnut Mare.
“Godspeed, Johnathan!” Charles raised his hand as he rode off into the unknown. “And good luck…” He shook his head in dismay, quite uncertain with the near future and its comings.

Moments passed before Charles discontinued his wandering eyes from the void of darkness. Grabbing his fallen candle and its rusted brass stand, he drew back into his humble abode, the dreary door shutting sadly behind him.
-Creeeaaak -
“What was that?” Charles squinted his weary eyes behind the miniscule glasses. The faint light of course, yielded no answers. He dropped his head and proceeded onward. A table lined with lace sided the hall. Holding a shaking hand to his round head, Charles set down the candlestick and relit it, illuminating an area of the hall in dim and dusty light.
A muffled sound drew closer to him. “…Charles…”
“…W-what---?” Charles swung his head sluggishly toward the voice, but stumbled, dropping to his knees. His vision blurred and a sharp pain hit him blunt on the head, knocking him near unconsciousness.
“Who…?” With a painful last thought, he glanced upward toward the wrong-doer. There, a hefty man clad in stormy blue and gray robes stood, eyes blank. Charles eyes grew wide as the man shed a single tear, and drew a large rock in his hand. “Your High---- ngh…”Hiseyes faded to an egg white as he collapsed on the floor, life gone from his earthly husk.
The man above fell to his padded knees and dropped his head.
“…My dear, Marrissa… Why…”

Story 2: No Title (Again with the titles!)
Description: This was actually an assignment for my Literary Class in School. We had to do a short story/paragraph using a random number of randomly picked words that we drew from a hat. I happened to be writing up an idea for a Steam-Punk story, which I also kind of ended up not following through with, so I wrote about some kind of Fierce, Unwavering, Tough Captain of a Sky-Fleet going to war against some kingdom.
The sounds of whirling cogs and the bustle of feat echo about you. The ship is strong and well equipped, a proud feat for any captain of your stature. The battlements are outfitted with grand, reinforced gunnings and shells; the familiar smell of black powder reminds you of previous ventures on this noble ship, with an equally as familiar sight of your calm and stoic stature watching over your crew as they make preparation for the oncoming battle. You sigh slightly, but remain unmoving.

A thin shadow moving towards you catches your eye, and without another glance or turn, you state in a commanding tone, “What news do you bring, Cromnwell?”
A tall man in a simple, night-black suit stands away from you. He appears to be but a mild butler to those whom have no experienced his true role and power; a rarity.
“My lady… we have discovered the motive on why the enemy is here in this sector, and what they are seeking here. There are also reports of…”
You smirk slightly. “You’re losing your game, my friend: This is old news. Perhaps this is a bit of a remissive loss on your part. This may very well be coming out of your paycheck.” With the latter comment, you chuckle a little, in which the old butler quickly waves his hand in a dismissive fashion.
“I scoff at the very idea my lady. I am truly certain you have not had the pleasure of hearing of our capture of the Hildrenan emissary surely, my lady.”
“Will this be a recurring motif with you Cromnwell, saving the best news for yourself, and never giving the rookies a chance at stardom upon this vessel?” You joke in a playful tone which only those closes to you ever seem to see.
“I save the best for last, as always.” He takes a pleasant bow. “I must put on a performance, and if not, the show would be boring, wouldn’t you say?”
“Of course, of course; whatever you wish to think Cromnwell. Send him to my office, I wish to show this truly abject statesman what he is in for.” You sharply turn on the spot, and quickly make your way down the wooden steps toward the bow while the butler quickly bows once more and retreats into the shadows.
“As is your wish, my lady…”
[ In the Office ]
You look out over the endless blue abyss below you through a large, strengthened window behind your desk. The room is large, and spacious, with little furniture besides your humble wooden desk, a single chair, and various portraits of unknown origin. Your foot taps impatiently as you await the oncoming visitor, and as the door to your cabin creaks open slightly, your tapping slows to a stop, until you are completely still.
A small, stout man in a heavy overcoat decorated with frills barely enters the room when you whisper in a harsh voice, “Take. A. Seat, if you will.”
The man’s face lights up in a bit of a shock, and with a sense of urgency, he shuts the door, and like clockworks, takes a wary step towards the chair.
“Don’t worry, I don’t bite, honest.” Your tone remains harsh, but attempts a bit of a mocking tone.
The man slowly inches his way into the padded chair, and relaxes a bit. However, he barely has enough time to blink when a small, brown button is pressed on the side of your desk, and the sound of buzzing gizmos echo the room. Thick, metal cuffs strike the delicate skin of the Hildrenan emissary, chaffing his wrists and trapping his body in the chair, preventing him from performing any action but squirm; a practice you enjoy seeing from your prisoners.
Your face puts on a devilish smile and emotes very sadistically as you turn towards the newly dejected man.
“I believe you know why you are here, my good ser…” You nod at him, sliding a newly polished dagger between your fingers.
The man gasps desperately for air, fear and slight paranoia getting to the once proud and noble figure, of course, if this was under normal circumstances. He stammers out, “I… I-I don’t k-kn-know what your talking a-about!.”
Your smile fades and with an impulse and quick reflexes, you impale the curved dagger into your desk, leaving a new, but one of many grooves into your desks wooden frame. “Don’t compel me to do things I really don’t want to do, Ser William Donburry. I know what you and your group of so called, “Gentlemen,” are doing here in this sector; my sector. Now I suggest you start talking, or I will expel you from my presence…

…For good.

Story 3: No Title (I Originally named it "A Life's Spark," but It didn't really fit right at the time)
Description: I wrote this during my writing drought so to speak. It's about an author, roughly 35 I would assume, who hasn't been able to write anything for possibly up to 10 or so years now, essentially driving himself into poverty and death. He is only at this point due to a supposedly life-changing event where his wife in question either 1) Left him or 2) Died, and to protect his son, he lies to him, though really, he is blinded from how to really tell him the truth due to his writing problems. From being neglected and being lied to, the son runs away, and thus, leaves the Father with nothing left to live for...
But it ends with the idea that the son eventually became Prime Minister of said country and has reunited with his father, whom feels content in the end, and the plot essentially repeats itself where the son lays a hand on his shoulder in the beginning, does so at the end in order to really wrap up the tale in question. Never got that far though...

I guess I tried to picture the Father as myself, but purely in the Writers-block idea. Possibly may not be true, but really, what can I say about it? >.<
I stare hesitantly at the blank canvas in which I am to paint a picture with words, yet I am silent. The slim wooden figure that lays neatly to the side sits untouched, a thin coat of dust already settled on its surface. I have waited fitfully for years gone by, yet no words appear to take comfort on the clean sheet I prepared on the tabletop. I breathe out yet another rattled sigh, one of many I have claimed for the countless hours I have spent looking endlessly into the void of white. The musty, dank confines of the room I had made my quarters for the night remain dark, though the small, pinkish sun already slips from its deep sleep behind the soaring skyscrapers in the distance, who try in vain to grasp the unbound air as the sun and birds so easily do.

I take in another sigh, breathing in the dust particles that have made their home in the stale air. I rub the bridge of my nose between the lenses of my eyeglasses, slowly shaking my skull with the rhythm. I move my gaze out into the distance with my eyes drooped, the world so close, but the thin window pane keeps me locked from it.
A gentle drift of snow silently falls onto the crisp ground, and occasionally presents its icy kiss to the clear glass. After moments of watching the serene sun climb high above the clouds, I take a deep breath, and close my eyes; in either meditation, or another emotion, I did not know. After this brief period of rest, the globes atop my face flicker open, and I catch a quick glimpse of a small, beaten frame.
For no more then a second, at least, I believe it was for no more then that, I pondered strange memories; dreams and images I know of, though I feel they were from another lifetime. My hand reaches out, and I loosely grasp the frame, tilting it in my hand. The rotted wood gently caresses a thin photograph; one whose faded image paints a muddled picture in my mind; handcrafted strokes of a gentle woman, a poor, young boy, and a faded form, whom I feel strangely connected to.
My thumb strokes the woman’s illustrated face, and a slip a wry smile, reflecting on the past as memories flood my conscious like a riptide. A single tear had begun to form near the corners of my sleep-deprived eyes…

It was then, that the soft, comforting touch of a small hand had made its way onto my shoulder, and lit a small fire in my heart.

Apologies for any hard-to-read lettering. I copied/pasted this from a Word Document.
Critique: Yes, On all of it please. I need to get back into the swing of things with my writing.
That as well as quite a few spelling mistakes and a lot of the proper grammar/story outline got mixed up since I copied it over, so again, apologies in advance!
Very nice writing! I am not the right person to critique about it though. I am not exactly the grammar expert either.

FRUITLOOP1001

Reaction score
Hugs and Kisses
"Shadows all around you as you surface from the dark."

The night was dark and windy, as if it too was mourning. Two people sat in a small house on the edge of the city, one with their face in the pillows, holding it tight. The other, stroking her and singing softly or adding words of comfort.

"Emerging from the gentle grip of night's unfolding arms."

Every night, for two weeks, this scene has played over and over again. People are born and die everyday, many of them have loved ones that they leave behind. It is the job of others to be the whispers of comfort or the shoulder to cry upon.

"Darkness, darkness everywhere, do you feel all alone?"

No matter how little or how hard people mourn there are people who will listen and stay with them, no matter what. People such as these are those not to let go. The ones who people leave behind once they pass away are the weakest, it is our jobs to be there, no matter how much they push away.

"The subtle grace of gravity, the heavy weight of stone."

The ever so soft beeping from the heart monitor was the only sound that could be heard, it's white walls bleaching the room of feeling. A man, lay in a white cot, the rise and fall of his chest almost not noticeable, the only thing that showed that he was alive was the tiny Beep Beep Beep, that too, was almost silent.

Many people came and went in that room, doctors, nurses, friends, only two stayed until the end, two people who knew what was going to happen and what lay ahead after that. Two people to watch over the man, and watch as he leaves forever.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It was morning. It suited the events of that day, foggy and bitterly cold, like a Good-Bye. People were gathered, many crying, some holding those who were crying. The two, the same pair were standing there, tears running down one's face, the other held her close.

"You don't see what you possess, a beauty calm and clear."

There was a shattering of wood and quiet choking. The sounds of rope being cut and muffled crying. The begging of 'Why's 'How's, and someone being clutched close. After that, sounds of knives or pill bottles being ripped out of hands would sometimes fill the empty house.

"It floods the sky and blurs the darkness like a chandelier."

A light would stay on, every night at the same house, always, as it knew it was to protect this one person. Again, two people lay together, one for the other, as it has been, as it will be. There was one difference though, they were both smiling. There were no tears, no little comforts. Just a feeling of acceptance, and a hint of happiness.

"All the light that you possess is skewed by lakes and seas."

Two people sat together on a bench, in a populated mall, shoppers hurrying past, eager to get to what they want. One was covered by clothes, it seemed to smother her, though it was to hide pain and sadness to the outside world. The other simply smiled comfortingly and held a shopping bag in one hand, a small present in the other.

"The shattered surface, so imperfect, is all that you believe."

Behind the fake smiles and little chuckles was a hollow person, robbed of all passion. She would only smile for the other, to make her happy too, though she really wasn’t happy. While the other slept she would slip out and cry outside, the Moon's light her only source of protection. The other would never know, it was a cycle, of one that would not end.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I will bring a mirror, so silver, so exact."

She thought it was a stupid idea to have more mirrors in the house, they would never be of use, she never wanted to look at herself. She saw no beauty in the hollow reflection. She was nothing, a no one. But... Why did she feel so special around the other.... like when she was with him? She would smile a little more, make sure to eat, and just try to be happy, just for her. She wondered why.

"So precise and so pristine, a perfect pane of glass."

It was a while after the mirrors showed up that she found the reason behind them, so that the other could complement her, while she looked at herself, so she would smile, and feel a bit better. So, she started to smile, a real one, one of actual joy. She was almost as happy now as she was then... It still stung to think or talk about him, though it wasn't as sharp. She was learning to be happy again.

"I will set the mirror up to face the blackened sky."

She lay in the grass with the other, both of them studying the wide expanse of the Night's sky. It was crystal clear, the Moon was just a sliver in the sky, still watching, but with one eye closed. She sat up, and offered a hand to the other, and they took it, smiling all the while. She stood up, and they followed. Slowly, they traveled back home, hand in hand.

"You will see your beauty every moment that you rise."

They walked hand in hand from then on, in the parks, or at the mall. They were happy, she was happy, and thoughts of him didn't hurt her anymore. They Wed in July, the Fireflies danced around them as they were both given a chance to pronounce their love. She was given another chance, and she was not plagued by doubts or concerns, just love. She was happy.
Description:I got this idea from the song "You are the Moon" by the Hush Sound.

ReyvnNova

Reaction score
JKangaroo Whoa, stories! (Dark fantasy and steampunk, hnng!) Anywho, totally awesome stuff :D I think if you have an interest in writing, it would pay to just push yourself through the block. Also, I personally find that planning a story too much hinders my ability to continue with it. People work differently, but maybe that could be a factor? *Shrug*

TheMFreak I found your story very entertaining; it made me laugh! The back and forth between patient and doctor was great, and the ending was just right.

FRUITLOOP1001 Interesting style of writing, with the lyrics between paragraphs. It's cool to see a music inspired piece, especially because I really like that song. And "the other" person is so ominous, who are they?! ^^;

It's totally awesometastic to see such story variety from you guys. It's brilliant, keep it up!