shitpost board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayfeather

Gay Magician
Donor
Reaction score
Are you serious? Are you really starting something here? You're seriously making me dislike you more.

Since you're being such a regal shit today, while I'm feeling like absolute shit, I asked Hunter to get the fucking chat logs from Steam, so here's your fucking information.

2:54 PM - Hutner: having a "shitpost board" is a common theme- all nonstickied threads could be automatically permadeleted every two weeks or so, or threads without recent replies within 3 2 days; something time-based. posts wouldn't count towards postcount

the thought behind it is that if it's quarantined there, only people who intentionally enter the subforum will see the garbage produced

this increases average post quality everywhere else on the forums

is the "shitpost" (dunno what other word to use) subforum suggestion terrible? seems nice on paper, but would like to see your thoughts before making a suggestions thread on the topic- there's probably a glaring flaw i've missed
2:57 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: Uh... I'd say so
2:57 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: Doesn't make
2:57 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: Any sense to me
2:58 PM - Hutner: it'd make the Off-Topic board friendlier/welcoming while giving people a place to talk about whatever it is separate from everyone else
3:00 PM - Hutner: 2:52 PM - Noah: Hmm
2:52 PM - Hutner: ;o
2:53 PM - Noah: that seems like a good idea
2:54 PM - Noah: I personally don't see a problem
2:55 PM - Noah: but you can't really trust my judgement, I'm not exactly the smartest/best person to figure out how good/bad in idea is
2:55 PM - Noah: I'm too soft or something xD
2:55 PM - Hutner: any possible counterarguments?
2:56 PM - Noah: Let me think
2:57 PM - Hutner: 'k
2:57 PM - Noah: I
2:59 PM - Noah: I can't think of anything that wouldn't make sense about it
3:00 PM - Hutner: wanted a second opinion
3:00 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: The way I see it
3:00 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: 1.) They'll make those kind of posts where they want to make it, so having a subsection specifically for that wouldn't make sense.
3:01 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: 2.) These threads from the subforum will still appear on New Posts and Recent Activity, still causing a ruccus to the overall community
3:01 PM - Hutner: oh that's what i was thinking- if they didn't appear on New Posts/Threads
3:01 PM - Hutner: that's be nice
3:01 PM - Hutner: *that would be nice
3:01 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: 3.) Having a section specifically for said posting is like having that 24 Hour Thread, I suppose. I was for that, but at the time, it was because I was always bored and wanted to share stuff for anyone who would see it.
3:02 PM - Hutner: Yeah, I can see how it's basically the 24hr thread expanded
3:02 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: I'm still against it, I don't see the point, to be quite honest... :l
3:03 PM - Hutner: Eh, fair enough-
3:03 PM - Hutner: The 24hr thread was nice though
3:04 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: I don't think so anymore
3:04 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: Even though I really wanted it at the time
3:04 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: All it is, is spam, and I see that
3:04 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: No need for spam, I say
3:04 PM - Hutner: That's very true
3:05 PM - Hutner: But at the time, it was enjoyable
3:05 PM - Hutner: if we could get that again, that kind of interaction between members
3:05 PM - Hutner: the friendly kind
3:05 PM - Hutner: without spamming everything
3:06 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: Only because I didn't think of people who come in just to type "rrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" or saying rude things
3:06 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: That will definitely happen on the subforum
3:06 PM - Hutner: Probably
3:08 PM - Hutner: But the thing is their useless posts would be deleted anyway, and they can be ignored
3:08 PM - Hutner: that reminds me
3:08 PM - Hutner: The new version of xenforo
3:08 PM - Hutner: Lets people restrict certain users
3:08 PM - Hutner: From posting on threads
3:09 PM - Hutner: I wonder if that feature will be used well
3:10 PM - Hutner: Thanks for your input
3:10 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: Oh, that's the problem, with the posts being deleted
3:10 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: People will use that to their advantage
3:10 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: And use it to say whatever they want
3:10 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: Basically behind people's backs
3:11 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: I know that will happen, so I don't like the idea
3:11 PM - Hutner: Eh
3:11 PM - Hutner: They'd still get reported
3:11 PM - Hutner: For attacking users
3:13 PM - Hutner: Besides, if people are going to do that, why do it in public
3:13 PM - Hutner: Either way
3:13 PM - Hutner: It's terrible
3:16 PM - Hutner: If I were the one to suggest it, it'd probably be turned away due to bias against me
3:16 PM - Hutner: :/
3:18 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: I'm just generally against the idea, sorry. I don't like the idea of giving people who do these things their own little room to play in. I don't see how it would control it, I feel like it'd just spark agruements, flame wars, trollish behavior... All of the things I hate about the internet, all in one place. Even if I don't look at it, just the thought of it would make my mind race, I suppose. I say we should just tollerate the "shitposts," rather than point them toward an area to do it instead.
3:18 PM - Hutner: Huh
3:18 PM - Hutner: That's a good point
3:19 PM - Hutner: But it'd improve the quality elsewhere on the forums
3:19 PM - Hutner: Wouldn't it?
3:19 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: I don't see why it would
3:20 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: If people are going to make these kind of posts on a thread, they're going to make it on said thread.
3:20 PM - Hutner: Yes, but the thread has a subforum
3:20 PM - Hutner: it's like how the tattoos thread was moved to offtopic i guess
3:20 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: Well, let me put an example
3:21 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: Let's say you posted the Picky Eaters thread on Off-Topic, actually wanting a decent discussion
3:21 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: And then someone makes a shitpost
3:21 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: If the subforum was available
3:21 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: They'd probably still make a shitpost
3:21 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: Specifically for this thread
3:21 PM - Hutner: that actually happened though probably
3:21 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: As they're against it or whatever
3:22 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: I haven't read past the beginning page, but mainly because I'm not that picky of an eater. :p
3:22 PM - Hutner: heh
3:22 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: But I've been noticing a trend that
3:22 PM - Hutner: the thing at the bottom of page three >_<
3:22 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: Any form of Off-Topic thread, either begging for a conversation, or begging for a debate
3:22 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: They generally get "shitposts"
3:22 PM - Hutner: Yes
3:23 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: Even if said threads are perfectly fine
3:23 PM - Hutner: unrelated: how would you suggest coping with anxiety
3:23 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: Well
3:23 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: I have social anxiety, so
3:23 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: Can't help much there
3:24 PM - Hutner: ah
3:24 PM - Hutner: :c
3:24 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: I'm going to be working at a job, as a Lot Attendant at a grocery store
3:24 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: Which will be around lots of people
3:24 PM - Hutner: oh dear
3:24 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: But not as much interaction as, say
3:24 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: A cashier
3:24 PM - Hutner: ah
3:24 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: I'm actually okay with getting this job, moreso because
3:24 PM - Hutner: not customer service, then ;p
3:24 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: My mom's friend is the manager, and I don't have to interact with people 24/7
3:25 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: And indeed
3:27 PM - Hutner: say someone has an assignment for a class, but the class itself is stressing them and they'd rather drop it, which is distracting them from the assignment itself, but the class is required for the degree they want
3:28 PM - Hutner: also say the person has changed majors recently
3:29 PM - Hutner: any suggestions for that kind of anxiety
3:30 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: Uh
3:30 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: Definitely not. o 3o
3:31 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: Never been in that situation, and I'd probably try trudging through it even though I hate it
3:31 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: Because I'd be too nervous to drop out
3:31 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: Even more so if it's required
3:31 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: For what you need
3:31 PM - Hutner: yeah
3:33 PM - Hutner: thanks
3:33 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: Aye. ;o
3:34 PM - Hutner: by the way, i introduced Naoh to Agrarian Skies yesterday
3:34 PM - Hutner: he likes it
3:35 PM - Hutner: he somehow didn't get stuck at the hopper quest and i'm a bit jealous
3:35 PM - Hutner: :c
3:38 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: I didn't, either, but I'm good at figuring things out myself. xD
Oh I don't agree with Hunter, I just wasn't feelin' the hypocrisy from disliking my post without a word and then calling out vati for the same reason. See I'm satisfied now 'cuz you put in the effort :D

Also you directly targeted me with the confusing rating because you knew I hated it when you actually DID understand the content, which is why I continued to instigate this

Sploorky

Reaction score
Average post quality wouldn't increase at all because people would feel they have no boundaries when they make mind-numbing threads and get no repercussions for it.

I think the pretty terrible mindset here is that if a thought pops into your head, you have to post it on the forums. I don't understand that mindset in the slightest, and pandering to that audience with their own subforum instead of putting them in place is a terrible solution.

in short: just dont make bad threads, its really not that hard

Ceres

Reaction score
Average post quality wouldn't increase at all because people would feel they have no boundaries when they make mind-numbing threads and get no repercussions for it.

I think the pretty terrible mindset here is that if a thought pops into your head, you have to post it on the forums. I don't understand that mindset in the slightest, and pandering to that audience with their own subforum instead of putting them in place is a terrible solution.

To expand on Sploorky's comment, "contained" sections often leak. MANY websites have attempted to control the obviously un-saveable members (or ones going through a phase of utter arrogance) and failed due to how one unregulated section gives the impression that rules aren't required and some slowly push this agenda into other, more tame sections. A classic example of this system failing is 4chan (although, I'm not recommending you inspect the damage).

Ceres

Reaction score
actually 4chan's pretty alright, their shitpost board is fairly contained from what ive heard
edit: while theres gonna be some spillage, some containage is better than
why am i even arguing this- the only actual way to see whether it's viable is to implement it
It COULD be implemented and run the risk of exposing the community to such vile threads/darker sides of some respected members or we could safely assuming that no good will come of it and refrain from considering it ever again (or until someone finds this thread in a few years and fights for it, again). Since the HAs have the final say on it, you may want to strike up a conversation about it with them, since you've got mostly opposing opinions of your idea from regular members.

CloudBryan9

Your Local Time Traveler
Reaction score
I honestly can't see how this would benefit the community in any positive way.

I would feel sorry for the staff of ER. Because that section would HAVE to be moderated to make sure it complies with our TOS.

Also, it might damage the chances of staff applicant hopefuls. Because it is possible that staff will comb through it, to aid their judgement on the hopeful's maturity. (For me personally, forrum behavior can speak volumes. I wouldn't be surprised if others shared this view.)

tl;dr - this is just a really bad idea.

• Agree
Reactions: Psycho

Psycho

Insufficient Data
Donor
Reaction score
I agree with Major-- who in their right mind would want to moderate a forum that's already expected to have said "shitposts" and waste their time closing threads and stuff?
Actually, wait... This type of forum would be great for forum staff that have the ability to delete threads/posts and give out warnings to the people that disregard the ToS/Rules!

Wink

¡Juego de las Pulgas!
Reaction score
last i checked there's more for than against, with most people being neutral. it's just that there's not much else to say.
PRESENTING THE AGAINST SIDE:
Most of the positives have already been stated, I'll pull out the negatives:

- Could be counterproductive and 'leak' into other subforums of our forum. A great example of this is reddit's /r/circlejerk
- Users run the risk of being taken less seriously around the community, but this honestly exists in every subforum
- Do we really want to rework our community and promote shitposting, instead of eliminating it the best we can?
OR

people could just use their brain and think twice before shitposting at all
Why do we need shitposts?
Tonight's headline: police designate empty back lot with weekly cleaning crew as "legal graffiti grounds," are somehow surprised when people ignore them and continue to put graffiti in more visible places.
Here's the part I'm having trouble understanding; why even have the 'nonsense' in the first place?

I honestly can't see how this would benefit the community in any positive way.

I would feel sorry for the staff of ER. Because that section would HAVE to be moderated to make sure it complies with our TOS.

Also, it might damage the chances of staff applicant hopefuls. Because it is possible that staff will comb through it, to aid their judgement on the hopeful's maturity. (For me personally, forrum behavior can speak volumes. I wouldn't be surprised if others shared this view.)

tl;dr - this is just a really bad idea.
I agree with Major-- who in their right mind would want to moderate a forum that's already expected to have said "shitposts" and waste their time closing threads and stuff?
Actually, wait... This type of forum would be great for forum staff that have the ability to delete threads/posts and give out warnings to the people that disregard the ToS/Rules!
PRESENTING THE FOR SIDE:
having a "shitpost board" is a common theme- all nonstickied threads could be automatically permadeleted every two weeks or so, or threads without recent replies within 2 days; something time-based. posts wouldn't count towards postcount, and threads wouldn't show up in Recent Activity/New Posts if possible

the thought behind it is that if it's quarantined there, only people who intentionally enter the subforum will see the garbage produced

this increases average post quality everywhere else on the forums
I actually favor this idea.

Any thread viewed as "off-topic" or just generally lame can be moved over to the shitpost board. This would actually decrease the number of off topic threads and discussions that are so unsightly. I know that you're all thinking "well wouldn't this just make more people want to post "human sacrifice: Y/N?" or other debating threads?" The answer is probably yes, for a while. However, even if this did happen, the whole point of the shitpost board is that these threads would be automatically deleted after a bit. This would provide an outlet for those who so desperately need to ask the question: "Santa Clause: Real or Fake?", and at the same time keep a tidy forums. Anyway, just my pointless commentary, feel free to disregard.
In theory this may increase post quality on the rest of the forums, but i'm skeptical that it would work in

Mind to explain your mathematics of how a tentative four 'for' posts somehow outweighs the eight solid 'against' posts?

sorry for holy quote alerts

Last edited:

Iguana

lmao i have a title
Reaction score
actually 4chan's pretty alright, their shitpost board is fairly contained from what ive heard
edit: while theres gonna be some spillage, some containage is better than
why am i even arguing this- the only actual way to see whether it's viable is to implement it
if you've been on 4chan longer than a week you will see how much /s4s/ leaks into every board on the site

Jivvi

Mafia Host
Reaction score
PRESENTING THE AGAINST SIDE:
PRESENTING THE FOR SIDE:

Mind to explain your mathematics of how a tentative four 'for' posts somehow outweighs the eight solid 'against' posts?

sorry for holy quote alerts
wink pls.

I'm entirely against the suggested format; I referenced my suggested thingy that had a section for off-topic that still didn't fall under any new boards, and some degree of nonsense. Having a 'shitpost board' purely for bullcrap being flung around has no possible benefits.

Wink

¡Juego de las Pulgas!
Reaction score
wink pls.

I'm entirely against the suggested format; I referenced my suggested thingy that had a section for off-topic that still didn't fall under any new boards, and some degree of nonsense. Having a 'shitpost board' purely for bullcrap being flung around has no possible benefits.
Edited you out than, tenative 3 to 8!

Status
Not open for further replies.