shitpost board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter

Mafia Host
Reaction score
having a "shitpost board" is a common theme- all nonstickied threads could be automatically permadeleted every two weeks or so, or threads without recent replies within 2 days; something time-based. posts wouldn't count towards postcount, and threads wouldn't show up in Recent Activity/New Posts if possible

the thought behind it is that if it's quarantined there, only people who intentionally enter the subforum will see the garbage produced

this increases average post quality everywhere else on the forums

Wink

¡Juego de las Pulgas!
Reaction score
Most of the positives have already been stated, I'll pull out the negatives:

- Could be counterproductive and 'leak' into other subforums of our forum. A great example of this is reddit's /r/circlejerk
- Users run the risk of being taken less seriously around the community, but this honestly exists in every subforum
- Do we really want to rework our community and promote shitposting, instead of eliminating it the best we can?

Hunter

Mafia Host
Reaction score
Wink the main idea is to have an outlet for it, reducing shitposts elsewhere by a considerable amount
your second point is valid, especially the second part
for #3 it isn't promoting shitposting, just giving it a room. as the posts would be autodeleted after time parameters are met, moderators could focus their efforts on other things and not waste as much time deleting/locking unwanted posts/threads

Wink

¡Juego de las Pulgas!
Reaction score
I rather our administrators deal with more pressing matters (I.e. our new dedicated server) than setting up a new subforum for shitposting during the overhaul, delaying progress. If this were to exist, I rather it be an after thought than a pressing matter xD

Duffie

Reaction score
Website
duffieshirayuki.deviantart.com
I already gave you my opinions, Hunter, so I won't repeat everything. I'll just state that I'm still generally against it as I feel like it's useless still. :p

Edit: Thanks for your very useful Dislike, Vatowski. Very insightful.

I gave my information to Hunter already via Steam, I'm just too sick to care enough to relay it to everyone else.

Last edited:

Naoh

Scott Pilgrim
Reaction score
I actually favor this idea.
Any thread viewed as "off-topic" or just generally lame can be moved over to the shitpost board. This would actually decrease the number of off topic threads and discussions that are so unsightly. I know that you're all thinking "well wouldn't this just make more people want to post "human sacrifice: Y/N?" or other debating threads?" The answer is probably yes, for a while. However, even if this did happen, the whole point of the shitpost board is that these threads would be automatically deleted after a bit. This would provide an outlet for those who so desperately need to ask the question: "Santa Clause: Real or Fake?", and at the same time keep a tidy forums. Anyway, just my pointless commentary, feel free to disregard.

Jivvi

Mafia Host
Reaction score
you put it a little bit crudely; but with the forums being reshuffled to better slot stuff around, a 'true' off topic pit of oblivion would probably be required to dump stuff that is a bit too pointless or hopelessly irrelevant to go in a discussion subforum or a game subforum. iirc i suggested it in the forum structure thread

Ceres

Reaction score
you put it a little bit crudely; but with the forums being reshuffled to better slot stuff around, a 'true' off topic pit of oblivion would probably be required to dump stuff that is a bit too pointless or hopelessly irrelevant to go in a discussion subforum or a game subforum. iirc i suggested it in the forum structure thread
Speaking from experience, you DON'T want to have an unregulated section of EscapeRestart.

Jivvi

Mafia Host
Reaction score
Speaking from experience, you DON'T want to have an unregulated section of EscapeRestart.
Not saying that; (not sure if Hunter was), but I meant as a place for nonsense that would be a waste of space in any discussion section. Example being the Santa thread residing amongst reasonable discussions like, for want of a far better example, the cloning thread.

Ceres

Reaction score
Not saying that; (not sure if Hunter was), but I meant as a place for nonsense that would be a waste of space in any discussion section. Example being the Santa thread residing amongst reasonable discussions like, for want of a far better example, the cloning thread.
Hunter was indeed suggesting an unregulated cesspit section for ANY post to be allowed so the forums are kept clean (in the right places). I get your idea was different and it seems like you're proposing 'Off-Topic Revamped', not an actual new sub-forum.

Hunter

Mafia Host
Reaction score
actually jivvi's idea was closer to the original thought but unregulated isn't the right word to use.
considering offtopic is apparently no longer actually allowing off-topic stuff considered "worthless", which is the entire point of the section, really, go back to the early threads, a new actual subforum for inane shit would be nice, with time based regulation of course

feel free to interpret the OP in different ways execution, but please don't argue over whether somebody meant something or not as it doesn't actually matter

Jivvi

Mafia Host
Reaction score
actually jivvi's idea was closer to the original thought but unregulated isn't the right word to use.
considering offtopic is apparently no longer actually allowing off-topic stuff considered "worthless", which is the entire point of the section, really, go back to the early threads, a new actual subforum for inane shit would be nice, with time based regulation of course

feel free to interpret the OP in different ways execution, but please don't argue over whether somebody meant something or not as it doesn't actually matter
My guess is that an Off-Topic that allows unrestricted nonsensical items is different to one that allows unrestricted shitposting.

Jayfeather

Gay Magician
Donor
Reaction score
I already gave you my opinions, Hunter, so I won't repeat everything. I'll just state that I'm still generally against it as I feel like it's useless still. :p

Edit: Thanks for your very useful Dislike, Vatowski. Very insightful.

I gave my information to Hunter already via Steam, I'm just too sick to care enough to relay it to everyone else.
You literally disliked my post with no other context So you know, I'm thinking this might actually be a genuine shitpost

Edit: Nice bait Duffie, but I don't give a shit anymore

Duffie

Reaction score
Website
duffieshirayuki.deviantart.com
You literally disliked my post with no other context So you know, I'm thinking this might actually be a genuine shitpost
Are you serious? Are you really starting something here? You're seriously making me dislike you more.

Since you're being such a regal shit today, while I'm feeling like absolute shit, I asked Hunter to get the fucking chat logs from Steam, so here's your fucking information.

2:54 PM - Hutner: having a "shitpost board" is a common theme- all nonstickied threads could be automatically permadeleted every two weeks or so, or threads without recent replies within 3 2 days; something time-based. posts wouldn't count towards postcount

the thought behind it is that if it's quarantined there, only people who intentionally enter the subforum will see the garbage produced

[User was warned for this post]
is the "shitpost" (dunno what other word to use) subforum suggestion terrible? seems nice on paper, but would like to see your thoughts before making a suggestions thread on the topic- there's probably a glaring flaw i've missed
2:57 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: Uh... I'd say so
2:57 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: Doesn't make
2:57 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: Any sense to me
2:58 PM - Hutner: it'd make the Off-Topic board friendlier/welcoming while giving people a place to talk about whatever it is separate from everyone else
3:00 PM - Hutner: 2:52 PM - Noah: Hmm
2:52 PM - Hutner: ;o
2:53 PM - Noah: that seems like a good idea
2:54 PM - Noah: I personally don't see a problem
2:55 PM - Noah: but you can't really trust my judgement, I'm not exactly the smartest/best person to figure out how good/bad in idea is
2:55 PM - Noah: I'm too soft or something xD
2:55 PM - Hutner: any possible counterarguments?
2:56 PM - Noah: Let me think
2:57 PM - Hutner: 'k
2:57 PM - Noah: I
2:59 PM - Noah: I can't think of anything that wouldn't make sense about it
3:00 PM - Hutner: wanted a second opinion
3:00 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: The way I see it
3:00 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: 1.) They'll make those kind of posts where they want to make it, so having a subsection specifically for that wouldn't make sense.
3:01 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: 2.) These threads from the subforum will still appear on New Posts and Recent Activity, still causing a ruccus to the overall community
3:01 PM - Hutner: oh that's what i was thinking- if they didn't appear on New Posts/Threads
3:01 PM - Hutner: that's be nice
3:01 PM - Hutner: *that would be nice
3:01 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: 3.) Having a section specifically for said posting is like having that 24 Hour Thread, I suppose. I was for that, but at the time, it was because I was always bored and wanted to share stuff for anyone who would see it.
3:02 PM - Hutner: Yeah, I can see how it's basically the 24hr thread expanded
3:02 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: I'm still against it, I don't see the point, to be quite honest... :l
3:03 PM - Hutner: Eh, fair enough-
3:03 PM - Hutner: The 24hr thread was nice though
3:04 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: I don't think so anymore
3:04 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: Even though I really wanted it at the time
3:04 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: All it is, is spam, and I see that
3:04 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: No need for spam, I say
3:04 PM - Hutner: That's very true
3:05 PM - Hutner: But at the time, it was enjoyable
3:05 PM - Hutner: if we could get that again, that kind of interaction between members
3:05 PM - Hutner: the friendly kind
3:05 PM - Hutner: without spamming everything
3:06 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: Only because I didn't think of people who come in just to type "rrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" or saying rude things
3:06 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: That will definitely happen on the subforum
3:06 PM - Hutner: Probably
3:08 PM - Hutner: But the thing is their useless posts would be deleted anyway, and they can be ignored
3:08 PM - Hutner: that reminds me
3:08 PM - Hutner: The new version of xenforo
3:08 PM - Hutner: Lets people restrict certain users
3:08 PM - Hutner: From posting on threads
3:09 PM - Hutner: I wonder if that feature will be used well
3:10 PM - Hutner: Thanks for your input
3:10 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: Oh, that's the problem, with the posts being deleted
3:10 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: People will use that to their advantage
3:10 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: And use it to say whatever they want
3:10 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: Basically behind people's backs
3:11 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: I know that will happen, so I don't like the idea
3:11 PM - Hutner: Eh
3:11 PM - Hutner: They'd still get reported
3:11 PM - Hutner: For attacking users
3:13 PM - Hutner: Besides, if people are going to do that, why do it in public
3:13 PM - Hutner: Either way
3:13 PM - Hutner: It's terrible
3:16 PM - Hutner: If I were the one to suggest it, it'd probably be turned away due to bias against me
3:16 PM - Hutner: :/
3:18 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: I'm just generally against the idea, sorry. I don't like the idea of giving people who do these things their own little room to play in. I don't see how it would control it, I feel like it'd just spark agruements, flame wars, trollish behavior... All of the things I hate about the internet, all in one place. Even if I don't look at it, just the thought of it would make my mind race, I suppose. I say we should just tollerate the "shitposts," rather than point them toward an area to do it instead.
3:18 PM - Hutner: Huh
3:18 PM - Hutner: That's a good point
3:19 PM - Hutner: But it'd improve the quality elsewhere on the forums
3:19 PM - Hutner: Wouldn't it?
3:19 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: I don't see why it would
3:20 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: If people are going to make these kind of posts on a thread, they're going to make it on said thread.
3:20 PM - Hutner: Yes, but the thread has a subforum
3:20 PM - Hutner: it's like how the tattoos thread was moved to offtopic i guess
3:20 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: Well, let me put an example
3:21 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: Let's say you posted the Picky Eaters thread on Off-Topic, actually wanting a decent discussion
3:21 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: And then someone makes a shitpost
3:21 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: If the subforum was available
3:21 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: They'd probably still make a shitpost
3:21 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: Specifically for this thread
3:21 PM - Hutner: that actually happened though probably
3:21 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: As they're against it or whatever
3:22 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: I haven't read past the beginning page, but mainly because I'm not that picky of an eater. :p
3:22 PM - Hutner: heh
3:22 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: But I've been noticing a trend that
3:22 PM - Hutner: the thing at the bottom of page three >_<
3:22 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: Any form of Off-Topic thread, either begging for a conversation, or begging for a debate
3:22 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: They generally get "shitposts"
3:22 PM - Hutner: Yes
3:23 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: Even if said threads are perfectly fine
3:23 PM - Hutner: unrelated: how would you suggest coping with anxiety
3:23 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: Well
3:23 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: I have social anxiety, so
3:23 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: Can't help much there
3:24 PM - Hutner: ah
3:24 PM - Hutner: :c
3:24 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: I'm going to be working at a job, as a Lot Attendant at a grocery store
3:24 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: Which will be around lots of people
3:24 PM - Hutner: oh dear
3:24 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: But not as much interaction as, say
3:24 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: A cashier
3:24 PM - Hutner: ah
3:24 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: I'm actually okay with getting this job, moreso because
3:24 PM - Hutner: not customer service, then ;p
3:24 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: My mom's friend is the manager, and I don't have to interact with people 24/7
3:25 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: And indeed
3:27 PM - Hutner: say someone has an assignment for a class, but the class itself is stressing them and they'd rather drop it, which is distracting them from the assignment itself, but the class is required for the degree they want
3:28 PM - Hutner: also say the person has changed majors recently
3:29 PM - Hutner: any suggestions for that kind of anxiety
3:30 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: Uh
3:30 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: Definitely not. o 3o
3:31 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: Never been in that situation, and I'd probably try trudging through it even though I hate it
3:31 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: Because I'd be too nervous to drop out
3:31 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: Even more so if it's required
3:31 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: For what you need
3:31 PM - Hutner: yeah
3:33 PM - Hutner: thanks
3:33 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: Aye. ;o
3:34 PM - Hutner: by the way, i introduced Naoh to Agrarian Skies yesterday
3:34 PM - Hutner: he likes it
3:35 PM - Hutner: he somehow didn't get stuck at the hopper quest and i'm a bit jealous
3:35 PM - Hutner: :c
3:38 PM - ~Duffie Izumi♪♫: I didn't, either, but I'm good at figuring things out myself. xD

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.