/sepchat

Da Jinks

Political Nerd
Reaction score
I have a little idea for people that dont know english on the server.

Since there is a rule of "only english in the main chat", I bring you the idea of /sepchat.

Lets say a person logs on, say hes dutch, and sees he cant speak anything but english in the main chat. He can use /sepchat dutch and go into a seperate chat just for people who speak dutch!

Any thoughts?

• Optimistic
Reactions: Trap_Wolf

Trap_Wolf

dam u str8 babygurl
Reaction score
Website
www.trapwolf.com
Alright, I do like it. But it'll still be an issue for Operators that are on to understand any other languages. They wouldn't know all the time if there are people being offensive and this /sepchat means we're inviting non-speaking English now which will not understand the Operators at all. :l

Optimisitc Suggestion. But won't work pratically.. :C

Lily97

That American Idiot
Reaction score
Along with what Trap said, this addition could have the possibility of separating the player base, or inhibiting the interaction between those who have different first languages.

Again, good idea! But, I personally see the negatives out-weighing the positives.

• Optimistic
Reactions: OT4

jackamel

Op Purple :D
Contributor
Reaction score
This isnt a bad idea, but apart from the fact I dont think there should be a chat just for dutch, maybe a mutli language. And again the staff wouldnt understand what is being said.

Da Jinks

Political Nerd
Reaction score
Well, the dutch bit was just to show what it was.

Maybe there could only be, like, 1 other channel? You could choose when you enter wheter you wanted to do /chat MainChat or /chat MultiChat. If you wanna change you could /sepchat MultiChat?

JKangaroo

Your Local, Neighborhood Marsupial
Reaction score
I think the idea is good.
Your intentions are also well.
However Many of the negatives do show themselves in this kind of inter-language business.
How can they understand to be directed to a different speaking chat if we cannot tell them in their native language? Many people who do not speak English only (from what I have seen) show up every so often, and the idea would only be used in certain situations.
This reminds me of Wheelbarrows thread - http://blocktopia.net/forum/threads/language-friendly-blocktopia-servers.4956/#post-75790

Its a good idea, but I don't really see it happening.

Kloud_Strife

TNT Drama Queen
Reaction score
Personally, this wouldn't work out very well for staff. Yes, it's alright to pull out google translate every now and again to explain to someone the english rule, but an entire chat that needs to be translated?

Also, chronos, not sure that would be possible or feasible, look at how poorly google translate does. It's alright in a pinch, but for full conversations it just doesn';t cut it.

• Useful
Reactions: ChronosStar524
Reaction score
Website
souncloud.com
I see. Another solution that could be used would take virtually forever i.e. program languages one by one, and I'm sure some would love to help, but it would take too much time and effort. I'd love to code this, but this is one major project that is easily solved as Kloud said.

Defiant_Blob

( ̄^ ̄)ゞ
Donor
Reaction score
I see. Another solution that could be used would take virtually forever i.e. program languages one by one, and I'm sure some would love to help, but it would take too much time and effort. I'd love to code this, but this is one major project that is easily solved as Kloud said.
Google has had years to perfect translate. Think about how long it would take for you to start from scratch. Also, you'd have to account for slang and impropperr speeling.

Reaction score
Website
souncloud.com
Google has had years to perfect translate. Think about how long it would take for you to start from scratch. Also, you'd have to account for slang and impropperr speeling.
Slang and improper spelling will make anyone go nuts. Likewise, if the server was implemented with an auto-correct, it would useful until it ends up like Auto-coWRECKs.

Damer_Flinn

Resident Asha'man
Reaction score
Let me make two things clear. There will be no separate channel for non-English speaking, and the server will not include translation software. While our community is an English speaking one, we are making some effort to make the rules available to those people who don't speak/read English well enough to understand what we currently have.

If you truly wish to help (instead of trying to come up with new commands or new features that will overly stress the server and it's staff) try to come up with some basic phrases and their English translated versions that will help us better explain the rules, goals, and etiquette of the server.

• Agree
Reactions: ChronosStar524

Willchill

Blocktopia's Official Octopus
Reaction score
Don't scratch the idea yet.

I have a sub-idea, if you wish.
The server tracks the IP of a new player (players with more than 1 login could have saved IP locations?) and if it is from a non-english speaking country, it has the /rules in a different language. Not sure if this is possible/could help. Honestly, the idea of the server tracking me is a bit scary. But the server could only save what country they are from.

Reactions: Nottykitten