/see Command

JKangaroo

Your Local, Neighborhood Marsupial
Reaction score
This is a problem I've found as a Trusted (albeit a trial Trusted ), that while surviving, someone calls out someone who is unreachable but they are too far away to tell what the name is. I find that I am also to far away to see, or a certain block tends to blend in with the player's name.

This is where /see comes in. The /see command would work in a similar way as the one featured on AoD. When looking at the person (Ex: one who is unreachable) and I type /see, that players name will show up in my chat.

This is useful for when a Trusted or normal player (mainly if no op's are online or busy with another person who is breaking the rules / needs assistance) to find out the user's name and /warn, /kick, verbally ask, or request assistance on the unreachable person in general.

Razinao

:_;
Reaction score
As far as Listings has stated in AoD, it is very server intensive. Plus it's a bit weird: you can face near them at any pitch and it'll still report them being at the said coordinates, at least in AoD.

I thought you could swerve your mouse to sweep / scan all the blocks. Especially if it's in a 64x64.

LISTINGS09

Ain't afraid of no ghost
Reaction score
Website
www.4thdp.com
You'd need to work out the vector from the player looking location and cycle through each block along that line until you hit a solid block, then you'd need to check outwards from n blocks and then cycle through all the players to see if they were within that range (AoD simply checks if they're in the chunk to save a further ton of work, hence the pitch issue).

Bukkit has a function that does the LOS check for you (getBlockLookingAt), which to program into classic would probably be easy for someone who enjoyed math... Thinking about it more, the /gun function probably does something similar, that may be adaptable so it may well be feasible.

Theodorre

The Fail Chipmunk
Reaction score
I support this idea too. It's also helpful if (for whatever reason) you don't have your hacks on (as an Op, this has happened to me) and of course as Trusted, who don't use hacks.