Seconds of invincibility

aperson155

The ape
Reaction score
As I was playing on the TnT server earlier, I was thinking about how players sometimes complain about landing on top of a TnT or weapon right after they spawn (Especially on maps where you randomly spawn, such as Sunken).
My suggestion is that the player is given 5 seconds of invincibility right after they step inside a portal or if they spawn. This will help players if they want a safe landing point after they died. There are some instances where a player might spawn right on top of a nuke, which would cause death to them the second they join the map.

I'm almost confident that this can be coded, as it is almost the same as determining if a player is a ghost or not. (If the player was killed more than one time in a short period of time, maybe twice in 1 second, the server would identify the player as a ghost and get rid of their ghost body).

Reactions: Kloud_Strife

aperson155

The ape
Reaction score
I think that 5 seconds is a good amount, since TnT takes about 3 seconds to explode. If you fall in the middle of the map, and the opponent has quick reflexes and places a tnt right next to you before you realize the situation, you might just die again.

GrantaClause

Santa's Evil Twin
Reaction score
As an added bonus, this would probably deter spawn killing too since the opposing team has a 5 second advantage.

Unfortunately, there's probably some reason why this isn't possible since I'd bet at least one person has suggested it before. D:

aperson155

The ape
Reaction score
If you jump out of your spawn and place a tnt to a group of enemy players, It shows how close they are to the spawn and it's really their fault if they die, since they weren't supposed to be that close in the first place. For nukes, even if the player uses it the second they spawn, other players will probably realize the tnt(nuke) on the floor just sitting there for a few seconds

Reactions: balloon98

Marnixxie

Hippo
Reaction score
I have talked about this with @Alkatraz and actually this is a good suggestion.
But, it is only good at random spawning maps, and not 5 seconds, more like 1-3 seconds.
On maps with a spawn red and spawn blue there is no really need for, definitely not in the first 1-2 minutes.
Also there is a new feature coming about spawnkilling, heads up!

Alkatraz

Reaction score
Implementing this could actually be quite difficult. Because of the wide variety of actual spawn types, for example we have, random, specific portal, random portal, and default.
So if it were linked to death time, this would be fine for a straight random or default. However when there is a portal spawn, being linked to death would have limited use, as a chunk of the time is taken up by walking into the portal and then reacting to that.

DarthLego5679

That n00b.
Reaction score
Website
store.steampowered.com
I think that 5 seconds is a good amount, since TnT takes about 3 seconds to explode. If you fall in the middle of the map, and the opponent has quick reflexes and places a tnt right next to you before you realize the situation, you might just die again.
Or c4.

I like this idea. To be honest, I cannot find any counters to this.
Pretty much this.

Celebrir

Reaction score
If you are going to add it, it could be a choosable feature. (activated on default) But within these seconds the player is immune + isn't able to place TNT or any other weapons.

Amorix

Reaction score
I agree with this. Though it's funny if you take losing well, it's still bullcrap that simply spawning can get you killed.
I"m thinking 5 seconds as well. 4 seconds for any tnt to explode, 1 for the explosion itself.
Come on, all good games have blinky time shortly after respawning.

Friendy

SMP Overlord & Events Manager
Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
1.. 2.. 3.. 4.. 5.. - That's a bit too long and abusable. Perhaps 2 seconds or even a second of Invincibility-spawn time.

Pokemon365

Reaction score
I dont play tnt but i do see a problem with this. it should only be when you spawn because it would be greatly abused if you get it while going through portals

Friendy

SMP Overlord & Events Manager
Admin
Donor
Survival Staff
Reaction score
We pretty much have to go through half the maps to fix the goto orientations which is a new feature. I'm not fussed.
But what if you had to do it for every?