RoF & AoD in context of the community

Vatumok

Former CA
Reaction score
Note: This could have been posted in the RoF forums but I personally find it more fitting in here. It's okay if staff wants to move it there.

I've been saying that RoF/lava survival server lacks good gameplay for a while now. I won't go on about that anymore but briefly the rounds are too long making with a pretty passive/boring gameplay. It's not unusual to see new players join and call the server boring. I also had some new guy join my house (ok lol dirt cave) and he was doing all weird stuff liking making holes and patching them up really quick, not that I minded but it indicates boredom.

I have to say that the release of AoD 2 was a pretty big succes, the server reaches pretty high players counts at times. It's fun and has some variety to the gameplay. I think a similar thing should be done to RoF. We have the Create server for building new maps or other stuff which is really nice. AoD fills the PvP role leaving there 1 big gameplay type left, PvE. PvE meaning versus environment, not only enemies.

RoF could fill the general PvE role while AoD is for the PvPers and Create is for the builders. This makes the servers really dense and will hopefully increase the player count.

I also would like it to adapt the system of AoD which is a few different gamemodes so that there is something for everyone that enjoys PvE. Lava survival is a good gamemode and it should be kept only with some big changes to make it more fun and quicker paced.

What I propose for RoF 2 is as following:

Lava Survival (cooperative, active)
Gametime: Approx 10 minutes.

When starting the match you get 2 primary objectives, one has to do with the building itself plus one extra objectives that is necessary to survive. For the first objective the server randomly announces a type of block that is strong versus the lava, this will be the block or type of block that the lava will not melt through (and it would be the ONLY block it will not melt through). For the second objective you need to place something in your house. For example you can get SUPER HOT lava which requires you to be close to a water or ice source if you do not want to die. Also, hunger should probably kill you but without this the server would still be fine.

All inventories will be wiped every round. (BUT MUH INVENTORY comments are not welcome)
People should be motivated to work together and collect resources to build the requested house before the time is over. Slacking/afking should lead to getting your butt burned.
Build times will be very short but can differ depending on what you need to collect, I was thinking about 5 minutes standard and after that the map will very quickly flood (from the top).

Further on the objectives and what I had in mind. In the beginning you get the message: "The lava is weak against [x]"
[x] = {stone bricks, glass, wood planks (lol weird but why not), sandstone, ...}

At the same time you get a message: "The lava is [y], place a [z] in your building"
[y]|[z] = {SUPER HOT|water source, RADIOACTIVE|iron block, SUPER RADIOACTIVE|gold block, CRAZY UBER RADIOACTIVE|diamond block, SMOKING A LOT|sapling}

What would be ideal is that mapmakers could decide for theirselves which blocks were to be used for the primary objectives because then they can place certain abundant resources on their map for a reason. Else it would require mapmakers to add enough of every one of the resources/ores to the map.

It would be optional to add a secondary objectives about collecting a certain type of item which would give extra points/cookies.

Lava Classic (cooperative, passive)
Gametime: 15-20 minutes.
Nothing special, just the classic gamemode that's used now only with a shorter time.

Deathrun (competitive, active)
Gametime: Approx 6 minutes.
Players have to complete a parcour while being chased by lava, this gamemode was on lava a few years ago.

??? (???)
Gametime: ???
Perhaps another gamemode that's not lava based but IS PvE, ideas are welcome.

That's all I have at the moment. I can understand that a lot of people used to the old lava have trouble with the idea but really, something needs to be changed.

I may have forgotten some things (it's a long post), then I will edit this or make a new post. Questions are welcome.

Thanks for reading,
Vat