Removing Meetings

Status
Not open for further replies.

superstein

Ex-Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
Are they really necessary anymore? It's a pain for us to try and attend and fill in news, and it doesn't fit our model as much anymore - less populated servers, less need for staff, less need to announce promotions/demotions.

As an alternative, we would simply make a "News Recap" of the week or something where each server fills in the thread as we've been doing, which would accomplish the same task. AS LONG AS DIRECTORS FILL IT IN BEFORE MEETING :(

• Love
Reactions: Notme

JtTorso

Reaction score
Maybe change meetings to the occasional planned "gathering" and remove the recaps from it completely. Recaps aside, a lot of people seem to enjoy getting together and harassing baker discussing things.

RyanDodd

Ex - Army of Darkness Director
Reaction score
I'm down with removing meetings, but I don't think it'd be too hard to have every Director fill out the news and post it every Friday as an alternative to the meeting. Basically the meeting recap without the meeting. It's nice to see a recap of the week's events so you aren't clueless as to what's happened that week.

IQD

why we can't have nice things
Contributor
Reaction score
If the meetings weren't so entertaining I might be for phasing them out. Also, it's way more effective to voice the news and have people hear it than to have them read about it. Gets it into their minds better. People just don't absorb things too well via reading on a computer.

Can't say I'd wholeheartedly back removing meetings. Wouldn't be the same at all.

Danni122112

The Drunk
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
I see that the people that are for removing the meetings, are the people that rarely use teamspeak, and also never speak there.

The meetings have always been something I enjoyed attending, and is about the only time I see a lot of different people at TS any more. I agree with IQ on this one, and I can not really see a reason to remove them, the main argument it being hard to fill in the news, but the solution of it being done exactly as before, by directors filling it in a thread, which we already do.

Danni122112

The Drunk
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
Take into consideration that with the relaunch we have an abundance of news, I think we should wait on this one before throwing it out.Meetings might have value in the future.
If the meetings weren't so entertaining I might be for phasing them out. Also, it's way more effective to voice the news and have people hear it than to have them read about it. Gets it into their minds better. People just don't absorb things too well via reading on a computer.

Can't say I'd wholeheartedly back removing meetings. Wouldn't be the same at all.

Prizyms

あんたバカァ~!?
Mafia Host
Reaction score
The few meetings I've attended have always been good fun. Meetings bring the whole community together, even for just a short while, and I for one think they'd be even more important in a community spread across all sorts of different games - a time for everyone to get together and see what's new in the wider community.

SparklyMuffinz

H2H: Here to Help
Reaction score
To be honest, I don't think they're necessary right now. Less and less people are attending them as time goes on so the only people hearing the news are other head staff and those who were already on TS at the time. I was quite disappointed after attending Friday's meeting and saw the outcome. I don't think as many people care to commit to attending anymore.

danni122112 said:
[...]but the solution of it is being done exactly as before, by Directors filling in the thread, which we already do.
Not exactly. Multiple times the same news has been delivered weeks in a row because it hasn't been updated - for whatever reason. Life happens, too busy, etc., not accusing anyone of anything. :p But if that's our solution, we should manage the thread better each week.

However, in the end, I think Jt's comment is very true:
Take into consideration that with the relaunch we have an abundance of news, I think we should wait on this one before throwing it out.Meetings might have value in the future.
Who knows what the future holds! I could see meetings becoming popular again when we have more information to deliver.

Nillbugwtw

Zombier than thou.
Community Admin
Donor
Reaction score
This. If we do phase out meetings, it's likely something we should do after the main bulk of the overhaul has been completed, to see if they're necessary or not.

Oak Milk

Kill Hungry Thirsty Dead
Mafia Host
Reaction score
I don't think we should phase out meetings, but with the changes that are coming I do think a rework of their structure would be great. Currently our meetings are totally focused on our minecraft servers, but with the overhaul we do plan to have a lot less minecraft servers. That being said we do plan to support other games, and I believe these games should also have a spot in the news. Further more I believe we should also have a section where we discuss new games and content that the community may be interested in. For us to thrive as a multi-gaming community discussing new games needs to become a norm. Here is how I think it could be structured.

Meeting Start
>General News (From Baker, Malc or Super)
Remains the same as it has, any news regarding any general news or events within the community.
>Minecraft servers
Remains pretty similar, any changes in staff or any events are given here.
>Other Games
Basically any other game we decide to support would be given the chance to also discuss their news here, again would discuss changes in staff and events. (Updates or changes to the game itself should probably be kept to their recap, since it would take far too long to discuss)
>New Games
At this point the room would be opened to anyone who would like to discuss new games or new content, for the community to get an opinion of.
>Questions
Same as its always been.

Other than this the meetings are just always a lot of fun, its still pretty rare for so many of us to get together and its nice when we do.

Malcovent

Geezuslike
Donor
Contributor
Reaction score
Half half, I understand it's a nice time to meet up. I don't think it's necessarily a good way to convey news (The few people attending to actually listen to updates are dedicated enough that they would happily get it from a forum announcement - try quizzing the majority and you'll be surprised to noticed most don't actually care about who was demoted/promoted) and it's a hell of a pain for Admins and Staff to have to make it every Friday evening.

I think I originally floated this but, I find myself agreeing that it'd be best to keep around for the initial months after the change - with that said I do not want new servers to be using the meetings as a primary news outlet. I feel it's a poor way to convey server changes compared to well structured announcements in each respective games forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.