Question about map making.

Vleetonk

Reaction score
So, I just found this server a few days ago, but I wanted to build a map for it. I was wondering if it was okay to build a map that's not a perfect square, but the boundaries are fenced off, or if I can make a floating map that if you fall, you die, and those are the 'boundaries'. I don't know how to build in a boxel, so I wanted to know if this was acceptable.:bounce:

Baker93

Alkaqube
Reaction score
You can indeed make a "floating map". We already have maps that have adopted this technique such as 'Floating Castle', as for the shape of the map, the boundaries are taken from the central point by looking at the radius. This means that, although the map itself may not 'have' to be square (or circular I believe) the phsyical boundaries must be set at equal distances from the center of the map. So yes, in theory you could have a rectangular map, provided you cut off any areas you don't wish to accessed, i.e. areas outside the rectangle.

Vleetonk

Reaction score
You can indeed make a "floating map". We already have maps that have adopted this technique such as 'Floating Castle', as for the shape of the map, the boundaries are taken from the central point by looking at the radius. This means that, although the map itself may not 'have' to be square (or circular I believe) the phsyical boundaries must be set at equal distances from the center of the map. So yes, in theory you could have a rectangular map, provided you cut off any areas you don't wish to accessed, i.e. areas outside the rectangle.
Ahhh, okay. What are the limits for a floating map? 75? Additionally, how do I build in a boxel? :p

Baker93

Alkaqube
Reaction score
As far as I am aware, there is not a set limit of how big the map can be, it's up to your judgement as to how the size may affect gameplay. As for building in a boxel, you simply connect to smp.blocktopia.net:25569 (I think), type /boxel and get building. There you have access to WorldEdit, however you are of course limited to the size of the boxel. I'm also gonna go ahead and link this in case you haven't already seen it, may be helpful:
http://blocktopia.net/forum/threads/map-maker-info-thread-policy-changed.5245/

Vleetonk

Reaction score
As far as I am aware, there is not a set limit of how big the map can be, it's up to your judgement as to how the size may affect gameplay. As for building in a boxel, you simply connect to smp.blocktopia.net:25569 (I think), type /boxel and get building. There you have access to WorldEdit, however you are of course limited to the size of the boxel. I'm also gonna go ahead and link this in case you haven't already seen it, may be helpful:
http://blocktopia.net/forum/threads/map-maker-info-thread-policy-changed.5245/
Awesome, thanks!